News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Da Green Tide - Da New Waaagh!  (Read 6663 times)

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
Da Green Tide - Da New Waaagh!
« on: January 10, 2009, 06:53:02 PM »
Firstly, I'd like to say thanks for whoever voted for me.  I hope I can live up to expectations (if there are any, at least).

Secondly, I decided that a new thread is required since the old one is getting rather bloated and confused (in my opinion, so a fresh thread with me as the OP would be more useful.  So here we go.

-------------------------------

Our first task is to decide what to call our new Waaagh!  I know certain members (myself included) weren't fond of 'Da Green Vanguard' and didn't feel that it did an Ork CoC justice.  So I'd like people to suggest alternative names for us to all vote on, since I believe it should be a community effort rather then the choice of one person.

--------------------------------

Then we can deal with the ranking system.  I don't plan on anything overly complex or sweepingly radical to the old one, other then it being more robust and 'Orkish' in nature.  Again, I'd like suggestions, but here is my concept for the Waaagh! ranks:

Warboss (Myself, or whoever gets voted into this position in the future)

Big Boss/Freeboota Kaptain (For the select few who act as the forum leaders and assist the Warboss in decision making, also having the choice between the two titles depending on preference)

Nob (Experienced Ork forum members who hold a good degreee of respect or fear from their fellows)

Skarboy (Veteran Boyz who have been putting in the legwork and are on their way to Nobdom)

Boy (The majority of the board will be this rank)

Yoof (Self-confessed newbies who don't know the ropes yet.  These members should get extra special assistance with their army list writing and tactical advice, until they feel comfortable enough to be raised to the Boy ranks)

Special ranks will be handed out to certain members who deserve recognition for their efforts.  Big Mek is a rank that I would give out to a Ork forum member who has displayed a talent for painting or conversions, and activity helps others with their own modelling skills, for example.

The ranking system won't be concrete or rigid, there will be no 'requirements' to get a higher rank, just the ability and willingness to take on a bit more responcibility that comes with it.  And the ability to swallow live Ripper Squigs, of course.

--------------------------------

Next we should start to make something of the Ork Project Board.  We need articles, modelling guides, detailed battle reports and many, many pictures to show off to all those Ork players who need (or want) to see how things are done.  I think a community thread with links to all articles would be useful to keep track of all our hard work, and make it easier for visitors to browse.

So who wants to do what?  I don't want people do say 'reserved' and then never post their ideas, I want proper commitment.  Just pipe in with your ideas (or PM me saying you're onto it) and we'll look forward to what you're writing up for us all to read.

Personally I'm going to be writing up some modelling articles once I've perfected by Warbikes and started work on my Battlewagon.  I may also write an army overview article to briefly suggest uses for each and every army unit, and how they might be used together to best effect.

--------------------------------------

So there we go, a great big block of text for you to all mull over.  I hope we can get as many people involved in this as possible, and make it so everyone can and wants to help out rather then people thinking they aren't skilled enough or don't like certain aspects enough to stay away.  Let's make this a proper community, where everyone can bring something and make it a better place.

Lastly, everyone who wants to join should pipe in.  I want to try and get a member list to see just how many we have here.

--------------------------

Da Rosta

Now we've got a good number of Boyz signed up to Da Green Tide, here's the current roster of members (to be updated as we go, and in alphabetical order):

Da Warboss
Andromidius

Da Oddboyz
Changeyname

Da Skarboyz
Dropfall
OD From TV
OIC
Raktra

Da Boyz
Anomander
Another Freaky Fish Guy
DeathPepper
Disschord
Dr. Ravingburger
Droofus
Grotsnik
Impervious
JamesDiGriz
Joshinator 98
Khemri
Liquid
MekEad
Nectius
Phxren
Reallifejon
Rhino
Sightless Blind - Scion Of Zoot
Saracenar
Tanuvein
Teej
Typhon
Warboss Dakanob

~Andromidius
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:04:20 PM by Andromidius »
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
Re: Da New Waaagh!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:58:41 PM »
Let me be the first to welcome you as the new Warboss Andromidius, and congratulations. I'm proud to have lost to you :)

For the project board, I'm getting my Goffs fully done soon, so I'll post in there.

For the name of the new WAAAGH!, I don't know what your preferences are, and I know we want to keep it clan free. Would the Green Tide be a good idea for now?

Congrats once again Androm.

Raktra, the wannabe Warboss.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 07:03:49 PM »
Klan free would be best, I think.  No point splitting things up even more or getting overly ambitious.  After all, a Boss is a Boss, regardless of his Klan.

Da Green Tide is a good suggestion, one I consider myself.  But I'd like to hear more suggestions, so we can make a poll and discuss it as a community.

I'd also like to add that I'll be wanting to get rid of the Grot rank.  Seems a bit demeaning to me.  Hense, if everyone agrees, all Grots (Goff or otherwise) get a promotion to Boy as soon as I can convince an Admin to get working on it.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 07:05:12 PM »
well done mate, the right person got the job :)

now as to a name i think simply Da Waaagh works well, dont want any clans involved as this'd stop people joning, we dont want army types/builds (sorry raktra)

this is a place for all ork players to come and im sure we can turn it into the best ork source on the web
so with that said, Da Waaagh encompasses all that and is general enough for people to know whats what

now as to the projects board, i have a great many conversions in my ork collection, now i cant do a photographic how-to but i can do a step by step of all of them

the best ones are my looted wagons (a gun wagon from a russ and a speedy wagon for my burna's) a BW from before the new one came out and a deff dread i completed this week
just lemme know if they're any good sir and i'll whack them up in good spped when i get some spare time :)
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 07:08:15 PM »
The rank of Grot made little to no sense, as Grots will never become Orks. I expected that to be removed, so thank you.

I'm glad the new WAAAGH! seems level headed and organised (wait, should I be glad about that?). Solorg was enthusiatic, and certainly helpful, but otherwise... I dunno how to put it.

@ Changeyname - I'll cope. I'll cope.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »
Modelling articles tend to work better with pictures, I'm afraid to say.  Otherwise it's fairly hard for the reader to really work out what's going on.  Perhaps it'll be best to hold off on that until a camera becomes available (say, a loaner from a friend for example).

Though of course, if you think you can write an article good enough to get over that hurdle then you should give it a go.  If when I read it I can make sense of it and visualise the model in my head, then I'll happy endorse it.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Another Random Geek

• Grot
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 07:20:55 PM »
When the new rank system is introduced, I would prefer to be a "Yoof." The only part of my Ork Army painted up to a good standard is my Warboss, and I am used to building Space Marine lists.  :-[ For most of the immediate future I'll hang around the Marine boards, as my Dark Angels army is progressing nicely. I'll return with a vengeance once the Boyz get painted up.  ;)

Anyway, congrats on the promotion Andromidius.

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 07:22:54 PM »
sorry i can do photo's
what i was saying is that i cant do the photo's step by step, they'll be close ups of the completed model

so in the part about changing the engines on the second looted wagon for instance it'd be a picture of the finished wagon with a close up on the engines, that sort of thing

it just might take slightly longer as i'd have to make the destructions particularly clear as the pictures would obviously not be as good as they might if i had taken them as i went along
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Zomro

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 07:24:35 PM »
I've been here and there around the 40kO boards since February of 2008, but I haven't posted as much as I would've liked.  So I would to join up in the New Waaagh! and start posting up some more stuff.

As far as doing some projects, once I get myself a good camera I'd be more than happy to post up some of my conversions, and I might even post up my Deff Dread "looted Dreadnaught" conversion.  I'm definately going to be working on something for the boards, but I can't promise any major projects until I get myself a camera.  I am, however, more than happy to post critique on lists and offer an opinion on other subjects (shoota vs. slugga, just as an example).

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »
Ah, I see.  Sorry for the confusion, it sounds like a fine idea.  I'm totally up for seeing some conversion pictures and descriptions of 'how to'.  Good luck with that.

And Another Random Geek, glad to see some honesty about your lack of experience.  Don't worry, we'll all be around to give you a hand in improving your game.  You'll be one of the Boyz in no time at all, I'm sure.

Zomro, good to have you.  Consider yourself pressganged.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 07:28:44 PM »
At some point in the near-ish future I will be starting a Speed Freekz army, and I would be more than happy to do a blog-like sort of thing cataloguing progress and so on.

I've never been particularly active in the Orks board but with the new regime I think I feel safe emerging here.

As for the name, I think Da Waaaagh!, while apt, is a bit lacking. Da Green Tide sounds good to me.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 07:37:27 PM »
Of course, non-Ork CoC members are welcome to contribute as well.  Alot of people have multiple armies, after all, and your main army is still Tyranids if I'm correct?

Look forward to the blog and seeing your army, Chuckles.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 07:38:50 PM »
My nids are sort of on the backburner right now, I'm concentrating on other stuff. Of course, I'm still heading up the Tyranid CoC with Lonewolf, but that doesn't mean I can't get involved wiv da Waaaagh!
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline reallifejon

• Ork Boy
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 07:47:05 PM »
I like 'Da Green Tide'.

It can encompas blitz brigades and speed freaks as well as foot-slogging hordes, so I think there's not a problem in that regard.

Also; looking at the future, as our numbers grow and we conquer galaxy after galaxy, there might just be more than one Waagh.   If the original one was called 'Da Waagh', I don't know what you might call any of the others!

I'm working on a clan-theming article at the moment.   I should have it ready this month.

I like your thoughts on the ranks.   The names, the number of them, and your thoughts on the general requirements.   It all seems relaxed enough to be friendly and inclusive, and descriptive and demanding enough to encourage contributions and individual progress from members.

One thing I would like to see would be a stickied thread which would just contain links to Ork battle reports.   A bit like the 'Faces of the Waagh' thread; there shouldn't be any comments (that's what the battle reports boards are for), but I think it would be

a) useful to have a resource of ork battle reports to refer to,
b) increase awareness among ork posters of battle reports of interest to us, and
c) would encourage all us orks to post more battle reports!

Members (and non-members of the Waagh, actually) could put a single post, with a link, a few details (my 1500 point horde vs Space marine horde...), an introduction and perhaps a couple of highlights or headlines (this battle contained lots of fancy tank manoevres), to give people an idea of what to expect.

I'm looking forward to a new age of Peace and Happiness Green and Orkiness, to getting more involved and seeing others getting more involved too!

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 11:03:48 PM »
blitz brigades
You know I made that term up right?  I mean it does mean something but I did make it up. lol

Anyway names: (I'll add more as I think of them)
- Waaagh of Da 40000
- Empire! of Da Rising Fists (or Waagh!)
- Mean Green Machine
- Waaagh! *something/or some made up warbosses name*
- Waaagh of Da 1000 Boots-in-da-face
-

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:25:56 AM by DropFall »

Offline Sightless Blind - Free Booter Ork

• Ork Boy
  • BLOOD FOR TH-----I mean......WAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!!
    • My Youtube Channel.....with Orks!!
  • Armies: Orks, Necrons, Warriors of Chaos
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 12:09:38 AM »
"Da Hell Boyz are in boss!!!"

I am actually geting my lazy butt onto conversion work for my hell boyz & painting them. I am actually taking a break from actually playing until I can make some progress, so as long as you dont mind step by step painting of mutated chaos tainted boyz I could contribute that?

My big thing I would say is conversions, as I am a newbie to painting. 2300 points of unpainted orks is a bit intimidating.  :(

Name Suggestions.

The Green Menace
Da Sons Of Gork(or Mork)
Da Grot Stompas - Lets face it every ork like to kick them around a bit  ;)
WAAAGHHHH!!! Of A 1000 Fists

That last one I thought of from fist of the north star  :D
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only me trying to save money on these #@%!!!ing models.

My Hell Boyz WAAAAGHHHHHH
Hell Boyz - My Theme Army(updated 6/8/09) - Orks - 40K Online

Check out my 40k videos on my youtube channel.
SightlessBlind - YouTube

Offline JamesDiGriz

• Ork Boy
  • What happens if they build a better rat?
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 02:07:21 AM »
My gun, my arm, my calculator, measuring tape and compass (stupid math hammer) are all at your disposal.

I am entirely ready to help in any way that needs a helping.
One of the most useful things I have ever experienced in war gaming is Cygnar Boot camp on the privateer press forums.
Cygnar Boot Camp

I am entirely willing to help set up and maintain something like this, if for no other reason than it makes me happy to be able to find information quickly. I guess that is what the project boards are here.

Also my English is pretty good (I was born and raised in bookstores) and I am willing to help people make diagrams and the what not on vassal. It may take me a bit to get stuff done at the moment as I am working full time and going to school, but I am willing to help where I can.

Where do I sign up to be the Weird Boy Librarian?

Offline Sightless Blind - Free Booter Ork

• Ork Boy
  • BLOOD FOR TH-----I mean......WAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!!
    • My Youtube Channel.....with Orks!!
  • Armies: Orks, Necrons, Warriors of Chaos
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 06:27:45 AM »
My gun, my arm, my calculator, measuring tape and compass (stupid math hammer) are all at your disposal.

I am entirely ready to help in any way that needs a helping.
One of the most useful things I have ever experienced in war gaming is Cygnar Boot camp on the privateer press forums.
Cygnar Boot Camp

I am entirely willing to help set up and maintain something like this, if for no other reason than it makes me happy to be able to find information quickly. I guess that is what the project boards are here.

Also my English is pretty good (I was born and raised in bookstores) and I am willing to help people make diagrams and the what not on vassal. It may take me a bit to get stuff done at the moment as I am working full time and going to school, but I am willing to help where I can.

Where do I sign up to be the Weird Boy Librarian?

I would be 100% behind helping you with this. Plus you conjured an image of an ork bending over a book while grots run around geting whiped by runt herders carrying books on their backs.  :D
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only me trying to save money on these #@%!!!ing models.

My Hell Boyz WAAAAGHHHHHH
Hell Boyz - My Theme Army(updated 6/8/09) - Orks - 40K Online

Check out my 40k videos on my youtube channel.
SightlessBlind - YouTube

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 06:29:14 AM »
I'm happy to help around and contribute to forums and projects a little more than I do already (which is, regrettably, not enough). I've recently completed a battlewagon w/ deff rolla konversion that I've only heard good things about from peers and friends. As soon as I can get round to it I'll take some pictures and post 'em up wherever they can go. Hopefully pictures of my army will follow shortly after once I can get it all painted (only 19 boyz away from a completely painted 1000pts army! ...and then comes the next block of 500pts featuring 30 of the new gretchin, 12 burna boyz, and a looted skorcha wagon, and some more...).

Also I would like to be a Boy. Thank you!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 06:57:51 AM »
If anyone can get me about 50 ork/orc heads and about twice as many guz and blades I will be starting an ork warband of my own, and would gladly join in the Waagh! However, without the materials it is all a pipe-dream (post in Trading about this).

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.