News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 348554 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1800 on: April 29, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »
@Everybody- Hey guys, damn have I ever been on a hobby bender. So many things going on behind the scenes right now but its all been a ton of fun. So got a big batch of hobby stuff to share with you guys so lets dive in.

First up I've been hard at work on finishing up my Kabalite Warriors and they are almost done. Only 3 more models to finish and they are done! After that I'll have 2 Venoms to paint and rebase the Raiders and my Venom I already have and I'll be done. I've been playing a list that I really like which'll enable me to step away from my Eldar stuff (how many times have I said that though  ::) ::) ::) ) and focus on other projects.

Unfinished Guys

Next up is a Terrogheist... one of 3 that I'm working on for commission! What an amazing model... by the Gods I have to get into Age of Sigmar at some point. These models are screaming out to me!

Finally the terrain redux rumbles on!!! My brother has declared a war an all out war on all terrain that is not painted to the 9's... Thus I've been busy! lol!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

As you can see we based all the Eldar ruins and added little trees rocks etc to them. This stuff is gonna look so good with the Webway Gate when I get it.

Also we built and painted another hill. I actually wrote a fairly in depth article on how I built and painted this and all the other pieces I've made over the years. Dog of War asked me about that last week and so for him and others I detailed it pretty well. Check out the comments because Reece had some great tips to add and linked an article that I highly recommend as a companion piece to mine. Here is the link:

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2018/04/27/cheap-and-easy-diy-terrain/

Anyway guys thats it for now! I had a tremendous game yesterday which I'll detail for you later on this week. Also some thoughts on the FAQ and other stuff that occured to me while recording for the podcast that I thought I'd share here. Anyway guys thats it for now. Talk to you soon... stay tuned!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:13:08 PM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1801 on: April 29, 2018, 03:27:02 PM »
That Terrorgheist looks suitably menacing.  Move to the UK and you can paint all my undead dating back to Warhammer Armies: Undead ;).

All of the terrain is as exceptionally assembled and painted as it always is.  That Eldar rune structure, in particular, stands out so well amidst that vegetation.  This is really high quality work.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #1802 on: April 29, 2018, 04:24:09 PM »
Hey Cav ! Great stuff YET AGAIN!

That bone draogn looks really insane, the terrain have a strong impact aswell.
Thanks for the article I just so happens to have a terrain contest with my local club to go along a campaign we will play around may/june. So I was in need to figure out something and now I have a pretty good base to start from :D

Those dark eldars guy's looks really nice but there is one thing I would suggest you take a tiny amount of time to improve. It's the blade. The pure white blade have a really strong charisma, but I think they could really use some really really delicate higlighting, probably just on the edges, very very very pale blue. I think this could really push them a step highter, Give them the sheen of polished blades, reflecting the sun or the sky. But that's just my two cents and I am nowhere near your painting god skills :)

I'm defently looking forward to you next post.

Keep it up :D
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1803 on: April 29, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »
Where in the world did you get the Eldar terreign pieces? I want, no , need those.

Love the DE, always have loved your color palette.

I love the terrorghiest colors too. Mine were done with a green/grey color palette. The base is really eye catching.

Always a pleasure.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1804 on: April 29, 2018, 10:32:00 PM »
Awesome article Cav! Thanks for the step-by-step instructions.

Can you get a similar cut with just a really sharp knife or is a foam cutter a must? I currently don't have a foam cutter myself, any recommendations on a good place to get one?

That terrogheist is phenomenal. I hope the client paid for a little blood for the blood god on that thing. It is just screaming for that little extra gore.

Glad you're doing some dark kin again. Just the push I need to get back in the painter's chair and work on the rest of my army.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1805 on: April 30, 2018, 07:58:12 AM »
@Irisado- Hey Irisado thanks. I wish I could move to the UK so I could play at Warhammer World. Also I’d love to get you a fully painted army… especially Undead.  If you ever want a commission you know where to go… I’ll hook you up with a sweet deal ;) But if you ever got the urge to do it yourself it couldn't be easier. I just prime the model black, dry brush Celestra Grey, Nuln Oil Wash, Seraphim Sepia Wash and you can call it a day! I did a bit more on the Terrogheist with an additional Ushabtii Bone highlight but it could be easier... at least on the boney dudes.

Thanks on the terrain too. Its been a labor of love but wow has it made a difference in games. Just so much variety of what you can do. I’m really happy with the Eldar stuff too. My brother made the call on re-basing it and added all the tree bits and stuff and I painted it. Anyway thanks as always Irisado I appreciate it!

@Grizzlykin- Grizz! Thanks so much man. Really glad you like the Terrorgheist and the article as well. Making that foam terrain is seriously so easy man. Like I said in the article you can paint it black and dry brush a single coat of grey on their and its good to go.

Thanks on the DE too. Yes! I do need to go back and add the blue glimmer on the blade. I need to do that on a BUNCH of dudes actually. Its actually one of the hardest things to do… which is why I’m saving it but it has to be done. I think after I finish up the last of the Warriors I’ll go back and do that. Anyway thanks man and thanks for reading my article it means a lot. Thanks!

@Dread- Hey bud. Yeah the Eldar terrain is from GW. Its SUPER cheap too. 40 bucks for both pieces. GW terrain is actually really cheap… cheaper than the 3rd party stuff. I’d go to Frontline and get it a discount. Scoop it up before the Webway Gate drops too because I bet it’ll become popular at that point. Thanks on the other models to man. Glad you dig them. Looking forward to seeing some new stuff from you too bud.

@Dog of War- Hey DoW no problem man. Glad you liked the article. As for the knife vs. hot wire, you really do need the hot wire to get the same cut. Its super easy to use too. You can get a hot wire from Michaels, Hobby Lobby or some such. You could just as easily order it on Amazon too. They aren’t that expensive…. just get a good basic one and you’ll be fine.

Thanks on the Terrorgheist really happy with how it came out. Also YES! Blood for the Blood God is sorely needed… I do hope the client is up for it! Thanks on the Drukhari too. Super pumped on how they’ve come out… man do they really change the look of my army. I can’t wait for my Venoms to arrive. They really feel like Corsairs with all these Kabalite Warriors back in the fold. Thanks as always DoW. Glad the article helped too! Feel free to hit me up on the price, model etc of of the Wire Cutter if you have any questions. Thanks bud :D

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1806 on: May 2, 2018, 04:09:05 AM »
Amazing work Cav. Love the Eldar terrain and the rocks are cool too. The article over on Frontline is very good and very easy to follow. I'll be grabbing a hot wire cutter sometime soon and pulling my finger out of my backside!

The Terrorgheist is terrific. It's a great model and a painter's dream...I feel the need to paint another sometime in the future as I've learnt so much since I painted mine. The client is a very lucky hobbiest!

The Eldar? I'm bored of Eldar.*

*I'm really not. Please never stop painting Eldar!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1807 on: May 3, 2018, 10:08:19 AM »
Hey Loosh thanks man. Really appreciate it. Totally looking forward to seeing what you do with terrain. I've always loved your bases on your dudes, both the colors, the mixed flock and the scatter terrain like barrels etc that you put on there, so I'm sure they'll look amazing. Make sure you share that cause I'm eager to see what you cook up.

Thanks on the Terrorgheist too... damn what a model. So much fun to paint. I've painted up 2 and I'm gonna put together the last one later on today. Really glad you dig it, so thanks for that.

Bored with Eldar!??? TRAITOR! lol saw your p.s. at the end of the post so I'm glad you were kidding... because I wouldn't have to loose my Rangers after you. lol

Anyway thanks man really glad you dig all the updates.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #1808 on: May 3, 2018, 03:15:39 PM »
I got the terrain ordered. Can't wait to get it. Will go along great with what I'm gonna do with the Ynarri. Hopefully soon I'll have an update to post.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1809 on: May 3, 2018, 06:52:04 PM »
Wonderful Aeldari terrain, Cavalier! Your paint style really gives off that lush and exotic feel of a maiden world, while that little piece of wraithbone structure -overgrown and neglected- gives a stark contrast of haunting beauty. Hope that was not too superflorous ;D.

Also loving that Terrogheist, not really a fan of death myself, but I always liked those undead dragon bats ;). Really cool how you have him crawling over the terrain, something far beyond my modeling ability or patience to do lol.

The Dark Lions of Asuryan are coming along nicely, really liking the minimalist color scheme you have going on with those guys. Normally, I prefer the helmeted Kabalites rather than the bare-faced ones (let's not talk about the Wych bare-heads :-X), but these guys appeal to me a great deal.

Also cool hill terrain!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1810 on: May 7, 2018, 06:32:09 AM »
Nice work Cav! And thanks for the link to the terrain how-to. Will read that with interest!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #1811 on: May 9, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
Cav your stuff is amazing, as always!  :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1812 on: May 10, 2018, 02:03:33 PM »
@Dread- Thats awesome bud! Trust me you are gonna love it. One of the best purchases I've made in terms of terrain. Looking forward to that update!

@Myental- Hey thanks so much Myental. So glad you like the terrain. Also not superflous at all. I love it! Thanks about the Terrorgheist. They actually come modelled that way on the rocks. But it wasn't easy to get them positioned right. Kinda tricky assembly. Thanks about the DE too. Glad I won you over on the unhelmed guys. Some of the faces are kinda derpy, but I feel like I've picked out the cool ones, glad you dig them! Anyway thanks for the feedback Myental I really appreciate it. Thanks!

@Ynneadwraith-  Thanks so much bud. Hope you liked the article!

@Calamity- Thanks as always Tangi. Glad you like it man. Keep up the good work yourself you are really getting after your Sky Dwarves!  ;D ;D ;D

@Everbody- Hey guys! So back after awhile but I've been extremely busy. My top priority has been getting the Drukhari element of my army up to 8th ed standards... which has included repaints (I finished all my Warriors) but also getting 2 new Venoms into the collection.

So I decided to go the extra mile with the modelling and added some warriors to transport deck, and man am I glad I did. Really adds a whole new element to the model and just gives it more of that vicious raider vibe.

I'm actually more excited about the modeling on the second Venom but this one looks good too. Check it out!

Here is my next Venom:

Also I rebased and added transfers to one of my Raiders and my original Venom. Really happy that I did. I also glued them onto their flight bases after all other solutions failed. Really glad I did... because now they are super sturdy in games.

Also decided on a good bit of finalized heraldry and I'm decided that the Shrine of Asuryan (the "Iyanden" glyph) is going to be incorporated into most of my transfer work. The combo of the Lion and the Shrine of Asuryan its kind of a cool way of spelling out my armies name.

Games Played
Also a tabletop update. Last weekend I played against my buddy Mike and a very strong Sisters of Battle and Imperial Guard list. Celestine both Gemenae, 3x Sisters in transports, double Repressors, 60+ Guardsmen, psykers, heavy weapons teams, 3x Leman Russ and a bunch of other goodies.

I played my Double Battalion with 2x Archon ( one with Djinn Blade and Famed Savagery warlord trait for 8 attacks at Str 5!) 3x5 Warriors with blasters, 2x Venoms with double cannons, Red Grief Wyches, Reavers, and my typical Alaitoc force with 3x5 Rangers, 9x Reapers, Farseer, Spirit Seer and double Crimson Hunter Exarchs.

The game was going rough in the mid-point when Celestine was going on a Rampage, she actually consolidated onto my Reapers after getting through my Rangers who blocked her from actually assaulting them. I then played Feigned Retreat to fall back and shoot, then Fire and Fade to get them out of trouble and unload on my opponent at which point I began to rally. The Incubi ended up slaughtering at least 20+ Guardsmen, my Archons were on a rampage, and my Crimson Hunters were aces... and I went onto to pull of a complete tabling.

It was a good win after struggling against Mike in my last 3 games. Unfortunatley I didnt take any photos because it was too intense a game, but it was still a lot of fun.

Podcast News

Also if you guys haven't checked it out our Wych Cult coverage is live. This was a fun episode and I feel like we had a lot of good analysis on everything Wych Cult so check it out!

Also our Harlequin coverage will be available as soon as the Pre-Orders are live, for our patreons and soon after for everyone else. So stay tuned for that.

Future Updates

My next article is going to be a detailed breakdown of exactly how I painted the Venom, the crew, the warriors and everything else. Also I'll have a legit bat-rep for you guys soon, as I've got a game against Grey Knights (I think) this Saturday against one of my best opponents Patrick. So hope you guys look forward to that. I'll also have more DE updates and also a new awesome project that is part of a challenge with Brian and Thor from the podcast. It'll involve the use of the airbrush which I just trouble shooted after much frustration. I'm so stoked to share it with you guys as it'll be a great challenge. Alright thats it for now guys. Stay tuned and talk soon!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:08:10 PM by Cavalier »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1813 on: May 10, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »
Lots of really nice touches, the tinting of the cockpit windows, removing the railing on the venoms and swapping in some trophy poles, the enemies heads are a nice touch, really like the one blended into the base on the raider, using different colours for the button on the raider console is a super nice touch.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1814 on: May 13, 2018, 01:56:57 AM »
Great work on those new Dark Eldar additions, Cav :)!

Question though: are you painting that Venom with the entire crew assembled? I imagined it would be a pain to try and weave a paintbrush into all of those crevices between the three of them and the vehicle.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1815 on: May 13, 2018, 10:06:23 AM »
@Magenb- Thanks Mage. Yeah I wanted to use a lot more of the gruesome bits on these guys. I didn't want my stuff to look TOO Dark Eldar initially, but now I feel like I need a bit more grim dark in the collection. Glad you dig it. Yeah I always do that stuff with the multiple color buttons. Why make it easy on myself ya know? lol  ;D Anyway thanks bud glad you like it!

@MyenTal- Thanks man, really appreciate your feedback. Yeah I actually did put the guys before I painted them. For me its usually a death sentence trying to do sub-assembly. I've mentioned this before but I'm not the best modeler. It takes all my concentration not to break half of this stuff during assembly, or get glue all over creation. Plus I wanted maximum grip on the glue. I wouldn't want these guys falling off. I'm sure there's a way to do a safe sub-assembly, especially on an easy project like this, but I just dont trust myself! lol  ;D

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #1816 on: May 13, 2018, 05:35:32 PM »
I wouldn't want these guys falling off. I'm sure there's a way to do a safe sub-assembly, especially on an easy project like this, but I just dont trust myself! lol  ;D

I think blue tack, takky paste of what ever the name is a very safe bet for subassembly. You put your figurine together then see where are the glue points, put the paste over the zone you will put glue on later do your painting as normal, then take out the paste mix it with clean or old takky, squish it a bit, presse it a bit, make a ball with it what ever, to mix the paint and here you go ^^ rince and repeat.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1817 on: May 19, 2018, 04:04:12 PM »
Hey guys so back again with another mini-update. So during the course of troubleshooting my airbrush in anticipation of a major project I've got coming up I decided to basecoat one of my Incubi. I've been thinking about painting them in the Visarch's Coiled Blade retinue... and I fell instantly in love.

The forthcoming Klaivex:

So stoked about this color scheme I'm going to go back and repaint all my Incubi and perhaps my Wraithblades as well. I want my Archon/Visarch and Prince Y'riel with only the most daper looking bodyguards lol  8)

I'm honestly thinking about doing some kind of Incubi shrine detachment/army in the future.

Also got a game in against some Grey Knights last weekend. While Grey Knights aren't the toughest army in the world, anytime your warlord in this case Prince Illyarion slays Draigo in hand-to-hand you know you've got a solid win under your belt!

It was really a great game against a very good player. My Crimson Hunters were all-stars yet again in this game. Really remind me of how clutch my Nightwing used to be :'(

Also working on Death Guard commission. I decided to bang out Mortarion first. I did a cool technique on the wings where I painted all the veins with just washes. I used Druchii Violet and Carroburgh Crimson over the bone. Then I highlighted with a super quick drybrush of Cadian flesh for a suitably grotesque look.

I've got a whole ton of Death Guard stuff and I'm really looking forward to it. Should be fun and I'm looking forward to sharing some highlights with you guys as I go along.

Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast

Also just so you guys know our newest episode of Splintermind is up and ready! Its our official Harlequin codex review. And guess what guys... Brian, Thor and myself are all starting Harlequin armies! We're are all particpating in the Harlie challenge to get 1000pts finished by the end of September! So get ready guys... one of the crown jewels in any true Eldar collectors is nearly within my grasp. So excited to star this project.

Just from a time point of view I sort of balked at first, but the more I thought about the more I knew I could do it. So stoked to begin. Should be putting my first order soon!

Anyways hope you guys enjoyed the update and hope you look forward to seeing Harlequins enter the fray. Stay tuned and talk soon!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1818 on: May 19, 2018, 06:16:08 PM »
I'm loving the green on that Mortarion, the corrosion and decay have definitely set in, but you managed to make it look striking and not starkly bright (GW Paint scheme is the one I'm thinking of at the moment). Everything else about him blends so well together, I'm really liking your choice of colors! My favorite bits are the blue tubes and the purple robes, but each piece of the model shines through because of the immaculate care and detail you've placed in Mortarion himself.

Well done! ;D

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #1819 on: May 19, 2018, 08:48:26 PM »
Awesome, as always, awesome! The beautiful blends of red with the fluid creamy look you've mastered so well. And rot, well just perfect.

I have a query for you my friend. Even from way back I have always had a Harliquins army, from metals to plastic. Remember back over 3 years ago when I had my cancer surgery GW started the new plastics. I integrated them with my old metals and have a nice collection now. One of the things that has always been talked about or better yet, refrenced is the Great Harliquin. I have this off the wall idea. You know I just got the Ynarri set. I've been doing some conversation work on the Yncarne but now thinking of adding a mask to her and using her rules as the GH. What do you think? Fluffy or waste of time?