News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Are Catachans effective in tourments  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Straight Jacket Zombie

• Brains NOM NOM NOM!!!!!!
Are Catachans effective in tourments
« on: September 1, 2008, 08:37:58 PM »
As the title says, I'm wondering. And i mean the actual catachans not the doctrine catachans.
GW has a PDF of thier codex if you dont have the new one
Grr, Argh!!!!!

Offline Black Hawk

• Captain
  • "Men of Tanith! Do you want to live forever?"
  • Armies: IG, DH, HE, Gondor
Re: Are Catachans effective in tourments
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2008, 08:51:43 PM »
It depends on what kind of tournament. The codex allows players to make some individuality, too. It can help some players design a different Deathworld Army of their own besides the Catachans like those listed in th book. I haven't tried them out in a tournament yet, but even though they get a 4+ in woods it's still the same in fifth so I don't worry too much about the cover save. Have to love their Elites choices, their ambush, and infiltration rules.

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
  • Yes my other car is an AT-AT....
« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2008, 11:36:20 PM »
As the title says, I'm wondering. And i mean the actual catachans not the doctrine catachans.
GW has a PDF of thier codex if you dont have the new one

The simple answer is NO. The DWV armylist is more expensive then the standard Codex list. The armylist lacks armor, and even some more effective long range firepower. You will be at a disadvantage with this army in a tournament. Also this list is sometime illegal in some tournaments, so its possible the army may not be even allowed to play.
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Rynnsguard HQ: My Imperial Blog

Anarchy's Heart: My Alpha Legion Blog

Offline Lt. Colonel Nightblade

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: September 2, 2008, 04:00:36 PM »
Indeed, the DWV list is really only effective in a Jungle-fight situation.  Otherwise, you're just paying extra points on most of your units for skills you can't even use.  And to my knowledge, tournaments don't typically do Jungle battles.

Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away the hoofèd liar.
Roof and door and block and beam, drive the Trickster from our dreams.

Member of the Board 18 Chain of Command.

Offline Angel of the Machine

• Never give up, never surrender
« Reply #4 on: September 4, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »
I would disagree, as I have created a list that was effective, til i lost... but thats neither here nor there. Straken with devils as troops, expensive but so are stormtrooper lists.

My list, however,  was a spamming of meltaguns and democharges, have you ever seen 9 demo charges go off on tau? I love the smell of ruined dreams.

Plus everyone can flank, everyone.

Its an army that does lack armor and long range weapons, but its a fluffy list and tourneys aren't the only thing to shoot for.

"Though we be the last, we will never be forgotten," Forgemaster Mordikai at Satan's Perch

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #5 on: September 4, 2008, 08:17:24 PM »
At the local tournaments here the Catachan jungle fighting rules are not allowed; and they even allow other chapter approved or Imperial armor. i think the main problem is that the Catachan codex is older than the latest IG codex so it trumps the Cata. codex.
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #6 on: September 4, 2008, 08:32:32 PM »
By that logic, the Space Marine dex trumps the Space Wolves dex because its newer.

The Catachan codex is still 'legal' to use, in that you can still use it in a GW store.

As to weither its actually worth it? I'd say no, not unless the tornament has a dedicated jungle board with over 50% woodland cover.

PSN: Leman Vanquisher

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: September 4, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »
I would disagree, as I have created a list that was effective, til i lost... but thats neither here nor there. Straken with devils as troops, expensive but so are stormtrooper lists.

My list, however,  was a spamming of meltaguns and democharges, have you ever seen 9 demo charges go off on tau? I love the smell of ruined dreams.

Plus everyone can flank, everyone.

Its an army that does lack armor and long range weapons, but its a fluffy list and tourneys aren't the only thing to shoot for.

The problem is that the OP DID ASK ABOUT TOURNIES....Read his post and the title of his post. Going into tournies with a fluff list is a lost cause, especially this one. No matter how many demo charges you have, its expensive. The troops are expensive, yes this list matches to a Grenadiers/Stormtrooper one...but they also have access to Leman Russ, Lascannons, Chimera, and other things that the DWV list seriously lacks....

At the local tournaments here the Catachan jungle fighting rules are not allowed; and they even allow other chapter approved or Imperial armor. i think the main problem is that the Catachan codex is older than the latest IG codex so it trumps the Cata. codex.

Also the fact that you have to check with your tournament organizer to make sure they actually allow this old codex into their tourney. The IG Dex doc list is a close second and you have some advantages the DWV list lacks.

The Catachan codex is still 'legal' to use, in that you can still use it in a GW store.

Of course you can, its allowed in all GW shops, they still offer the PDF on their site. The problem is that sometimes tournaments may not allow the list in their event. So your out of luck! Much in the same way that Armored Company list may or may not be allowed into tourneys. Its still a legal armylist, and very much allowed to be played in a GW Store.
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Offline Skankin_Catachan

• Colonel
  • why?!why?!why was i programed to feel pain!?
« Reply #8 on: September 5, 2008, 02:56:22 AM »
as a huge supporter of the DWV list, I can safely say this list has tourny potential. Ogyrns as a troop choice! cheaper assualt weapons in infantry squads, not to mention heavy flamers. Just like the doctrines, but you can still have a 5+ save. the catachan devil squads are  pain in any enemies ass, even without ambush.

to help with your vehicle dillemna,  you can always take the last chancers and give them chimeras. with the new rules, anyone can embark in a vehicle now. also, =I= stormtroopers in rhinos are cheap anti-tank units that a decent reach, not to mention can grab objectives.

i feel this army is great, and can become extremely competitive if you use your imagination.

Offline Chosen Man

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: September 5, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »
to help with your vehicle dillemna,  you can always take the last chancers and give them chimeras.

I wasn't aware that you could take the Last Chancers into a DWV list for tournaments? The DWV list has its own list of special characters to chose from. I would think something like this would be extremely enforced in tournaments?

Offline Skankin_Catachan

• Colonel
  • why?!why?!why was i programed to feel pain!?
« Reply #10 on: September 6, 2008, 11:56:50 PM »
well some entries such as commisars and ogyrns have to be looked up in the actual codex. Since there is that bridge between books, it would only seem fitting to allow the last chancers. DWV is still considered an IG army after all.

Offline Chosen Man

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: September 7, 2008, 08:47:28 AM »
well some entries such as commisars and ogyrns have to be looked up in the actual codex. Since there is that bridge between books, it would only seem fitting to allow the last chancers. DWV is still considered an IG army after all.

No it wouldn't, it has to say DWV and Standard Codex in their entries for character to cross codices. Thats like saying because the Space Wolves codex says "Reference Codex Space Marines" you now have access to all the SM Special Characters in that codex too. That just isn't happening you see....Last Chancers do not have an entry in the DWV Codex, and nowhere in their profile does it say you can use them in the DWV armylist. Just because you cross codices for Ogryns and Commissars doesn't mean you have access to that entire codex.

Offline Commissar Montego

• "War is war. Get used to it."
« Reply #12 on: September 7, 2008, 05:47:18 PM »
I would say, it depends on the commander.
IF he can not utilize his troopers abilities to bring the enemy to their knees, then it's kind of a waste of time.
However, they are really good for tornaments. Still armed with their 5+ armor, it isnt much, but it's better than a 6+.
Also, another good thing is, they have advantages from all boards. Not just jungle, in game terms, all forms of terrain can make them superior in cover, almost like terminators. They provide tons of anti infantry weaponry, but little anti tank gunners.

Over all, they are good, but only if you use them right.

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #13 on: September 7, 2008, 06:21:19 PM »
I would say, it depends on the commander.
IF he can not utilize his troopers abilities to bring the enemy to their knees, then it's kind of a waste of time.
However, they are really good for tornaments. Still armed with their 5+ armor, it isnt much, but it's better than a 6+.
Also, another good thing is, they have advantages from all boards. Not just jungle, in game terms, all forms of terrain can make them superior in cover, almost like terminators. They provide tons of anti infantry weaponry, but little anti tank gunners.

Over all, they are good, but only if you use them right.

Yea, and they cost a third more that normal IG for a series of semi-useless special rules. Actually, my Carapace Guard are more value for money, and I get tanks...  ;).

PSN: Leman Vanquisher