News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 Farsight list  (Read 3284 times)

Offline clintoris

1850 Farsight list
« on: June 2, 2013, 08:21:02 PM »
hey guys,

So this is the second variation, using near identical tactics, as my second list attempt using the 6th ed dex. i will openly say that i tried REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to avoid jumping on the riptide bandwagon, but now i have, its stupid awesome! i also tried to avoid using a Farsight bomb, i was using a smaller commander stealth bomb, which was cool but not nearly as effective as Farsight.

anyways, here it is:

Farsight  165
- BG+ Missle Pod+ Plasma Rifle+ Advanced Targeting System  65
- BG+ Fusion Blaster+ Burst Cannon+ Target Lock  62

Fire Warrior(12)+ Shas' ui+ Target Lock+ Marker Light  133

Riptide+ Ion Accelerator+ Shielded Missle Drones x2+ Stimulant Injector  270
Riptide+ Ion Accelerator+ Shielded Missle Drones x2+ Stimulant Injector  270

Broadside Team(2)+ Shield Generator+ Bonding Knife  182
Broadside Team(2)+ Shield Generator+ Bonding Knife  182

TOTAL: 1849

So its tactics are really simple. Broadsides and Fire Warriors chill out on home objectives providing a firebase. Riptides sit just ahead of the firebase wiping out whatever they point at. Farsight Bomb comes in and messes up rear lines/knocks scoring units off objectives/destroys high value targets etc.

what i would like feedback on is support systems on the bomb, riptides and broadsides. To clarify, i mostly play against marines in all their variations, so i have tried to bias that way as much as possible.

cheers

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
Re: 1850 Farsight list
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2013, 08:35:35 AM »
That looks stupidly effective.  Well done.

The only thing I might change is to drop one firewarrior to get interceptor on both riptides.  If you're playing marines on a regular basis, make them pay for using drop pods!

I would also love to see what this army looks like!  Got pics of them all together?
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline clintoris

« Reply #2 on: June 3, 2013, 08:53:23 AM »
thanks man! no pics yet, waiting on riptides and broadsides to come back in stock at my local store. i have stripped the paint off the fire warriors and some of my xv8s as they were one of the first armies i painted way back when, they've come up alright, but no fresh paint yet

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »
I'm a bit less gung-ho about this list. So, you're only scoring units are 36 Firewarriors on foot? That seems rather risky. I don't see this list as having much recourse against flyer heavy lists, it's scoring units are very fragile, and you're going to have a hard time with AV14. Riptides are good and all, but I don't see shoveling that many points into making them more durable as worth it. You could almost certainly purchase 1-2 additional units of (something) for the amount of those missile drones and Stim Injectors.

As for the Farsight bomb, it seems a little odd that you need Farsight to do this. Why not just two teams of plain old XV8s and a generic commander? What exactly does your use of Farsight in this way gain you? The point of Farsight, typically, is to exploit the ability to take tons of drones and signature systems to set up dangerous combos. You aren't doing this right now, so the Farsight 'bomb' isn't very explosive, if you take my meaning. You need to pack in (1) more compatible weapons systems (plasma and missiles OR Fusions and Bursts OR Fusions and Plasmas, etc.) and (2) A Multi Spectrum Sensor Suite and/or Command Control Node or something like that to give them a nasty kick on the turn they drop. This right now is just two XV8 teams that show up at the same time and would probably be just as effective arriving separately or starting on the board as showing up with Farsight at once.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2013, 09:19:17 PM »
You have some wasted upgrades going on. If you dropped the stimulant injectors and the shielded missile drones you could fit in another riptide. You also having bonding knife on a two man unit.  It can't drop below 25% with only two guys.  Save the points. The riptides need early warning override so you have some protection against drop pods and other deep striking units.  The problems with your farsight bomb are already covered. 

You need to find a way to add velocity trackers to at least one unit of broadsides you've included.  One flyer is going to cause you fits since you have no effective way to take it down.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Halollet

« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »
Yeah, now that I look at it, I totally agree with Wyddr.  If you do a bomb,  you need a guy with C&C node/Multispec/drone controller and another dude with puretide.

Another thing, shield gens on the broad sides are a waste since you can get 2 shield drones for 1 point less that do the same thing and give your opponent 2 more things to have to shoot through.  This also opens up the support slot for things like skyfire and interceptor.

One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline clintoris

« Reply #6 on: June 4, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »
thanks for the feedback lads, taking on board what you have said i played with the list a touch. see what you think:

Farsight  165
- BG+ Missle Pod+ Plasma Rifle+ Advanced Targeting System+ Gun & Shield drone
- BG+ Fusion Blaster+ Burst Cannon+ Target Lock+ Gun & Shield drone
- BG+ Target Lock+ Command & Control Node+ Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite+ Marker Drone x2

Fire Warrior(12)
Fire Warrior(12)
Fire Warrior(12)

Riptide+ Ion Accelerator+ Early Warning Override
Riptide+ Ion Accelerator+ Early Warning Override

Broadside Team(2)+ Shield drone x2
Broadside Team(2)+ Shield drone x2

So that is pretty much all the changes you suggested. I haven't seen a support suit built as i have it, though this allows for a fourth vehicle to be destroyed using the broadsides seeker missiles in a turn where its other tricks are not needed. AV14 is an issue, however the broadsides still have a good shot at glancing.

could you explain to me how EWO works on drop pods? i don't have much experience with interceptor as my local meta is not flyer heavy. we attempted to nut it and came to the conclusion that the pods contents would still land and would have only destroyed the pod itself, which seems under powered given the popularity of the system? but i am glad to be told otherwise

i am pretty sure that the points are a touch over 1850 but i figured i would see what you think of the build and its direction before i trim much more fat away.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #7 on: June 4, 2013, 10:42:48 PM »
A drop pod doesn't deploy with the troops inside it they have to deploy on the board near the drop pod. You can shoot at the drop pod or the troops that rode in the drop pod.   It makes the ion accelerator a great way to kill melta marines in a drop pod before they can shoot. 

I think a third riptide and a smaller farsight bomb (perhaps fewer drones) would help your list. 

You're going to have to prioritize your farsight bomb onto AV14.  Leman Russes and Landraiders will give you fits if you don't.  You won't be able to glance them to death fast enough.  This isn't a huge issue for you but it a canny opponent can use this fact to dictate your deployment.  There aren't many great answers for it either.  A hammerhead with markerlight support is one, the fusion blasters on your farsight bomb is another, piranhas are also a points cheap option for melta weapons.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline clintoris

« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »
Ive been mulling over what you guys have been recommending and im really not happy to have the Farsight squad being the backbone of this list. One of the reasons why this list did as well as it did was the amount of threats that were on the table after deployment. My opponents have already figured out that the 'Supporting Fire' rule is not to be underestimated and as such see my FW squads as a threat in themselves, therefore giving me 6 'intimidating' units in their eyes. Anyway, going back to that train of thought, and using the advice you guys have given me:

Farsight  165
- BG+ Missle Pod+ Plasma Rifle+ Advanced Targeting System+ Neuroweb System Jammer+ Shield Drone 79
- BG+ Missle Pod+ Plasma Rifle+ Advanced Targeting System+ Shield Drone  77
- BG+ Missle Pod+ Plasma Rifle+ Advanced Targeting System+ Shield Drone  77
- BG+ Fusion Blaster+ Burst Cannon+ Target Lock+ Shield Drone  74

Fire Warrior(12)  108
Fire Warrior(12)  108
Fire Warrior(12)  108

Riptide+ Ion Accelerator+ EWO  185
Riptide+ Ion Accelerator+ EWO  185

Broadside Team(2)+ Shield Drone x2+ Velocity Tracker  218

Hammerhead+ Submunition rounds+ Blacksun filter+ Sensor Spines+ Disruption Pod  151

TOTAL: 1683

That leaves me 167pts to play with. However i am torn as to where to spend them. I can see another FW squad+ Devilfish being a nice turn 4/5 objective theif, or an additional HYMP broadside being useful, or the ever useful pathfinders or simply more troops??? all of these options seem like they wouldnt go astray within the list, but i leave it to the brains trust to help me decide haha

I am happy leaving Farsights squad with the addition of the neuro+shield drones as it bumps their wounds/saves significantly without too many points being blown. To clarify a previous question about why i 'need' farsight in the list, well i dont really, but as i have said that i like working around threats in a list his lack of scatter on deepstrike makes him very scary when dropped next to an objective in my opponents deployment zone or on the rear armour of some vehicles providing a firebase etc etc. The addition of the hammerhead gives me another threat on deployment, with it sitting in cover with 3/4+ save makes it very intimidating. Between the Riptides and broadsides i am satisfied that they will deal with flyers in my local meta comfortably, given that we dont see many flyer heavy lists.

cheers again lads

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #9 on: June 7, 2013, 07:13:03 PM »
I'd recommend a bare-bones Skyray and a team of 5 Pathfinders or so. This both gives you access to a bunch of markerlights (and ideally the pathfinders are such a small squad they won't catch as much heat as your Riptides will early on) as well as a bunch of Seeker Missiles, which ups your firepower a fair bit. Plus, should you happen to run across a flyer, you have some recourse.

Barring that, I'd recommend a Stealth Team or a Crisis Team. 5 Stealths + Marker Drone will run you *about* 160-ish (if you could scare up a spare point or so to buy a drone controller, all the better). 167 will buy you a wide variety of crisis suit loadouts, all of which could be potentially useful.

I might suggest a 3 x Flamer/TL Fusion build with a shield drone or two, which would be a *nasty* thing to drop into your enemy's backfield.

Honestly, 167 points is a *lot* in a Tau list. You can do a whole lot with that much, so figure out what your army is missing and get it.

Other options could be a 10-strong Kroot Squad w/2 Krootoxen + an Ethereal. Also very useful.

Offline The Unseenly Invincible

• Without laughter there is no slaughter
  • Armies: Nonimperial guardthings, and some blue communists
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2013, 10:00:28 PM »
an Ethereal.

Yes. Exactly this. The Ethereal give your FW some Ld staying power, and a bunch of useful powers to boost them, two things they exactly need.

Another thing I suppose you could take is the Aegis Defence Line. That would give the FW a bit more staying power, another important thing, as those 3 scoring units will actually bear a lot of brunt for the sheer fact that they're scoring.

I'll here say that I agree with most of Wyddr's suggestion - any could work.

As a little side note: this is a personal preference, but when using broadsides as an AA unit, I'd switch out their Heavy Railguns for the High-Velocity Missile Pods. Usually, these fare much better against flyers, and IMHO, against all things.

Also: are you using Forgeworld models(ignore this comment if you aren't)? If so, I'd suggest taking a tetra squad or two. They're sort of like pathfinders-in-a-vehicle - basically, a tau vehicle primarily designed to markerlight opponents. It's two tetra's for 70 points, so they're not that expensive. (Their rules are in the new Imperial Armour: The Tauros Campaign, Second Edition.)
Always absent from school... | Tzeentch's Teddybear | Making Guardsmen aerodynamic since 2003! | Yes, it will hurt. No, I don't care | In Soviet Russia Guardsman kills you

Offline Halollet

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
Other options could be a 10-strong Kroot Squad w/2 Krootoxen + an Ethereal. Also very useful.

This.  In my opinion, Ethereals are broken.  Get them for the FWs, they need the LD and the bonuses are great.  Keep him in range of the farsight bomb and give them all feel no pain.

Kroot are another scoring unit with great versitility! :)

Offline Darkstrider

• Armies: Tau, SW, DE, Necrons
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 10:00:26 AM »
I would split the fire sight bomb up and take one of the configurations as a squad of normal crisis suits, this frees up points from useless upgrades. If you want your FW's to be a threat in overwatch i would suggest a few small teams of pathfinders, especially if your not taking skyfire anywhere. The ability to also deny cover from an overcharged Ion accelerator is a beautiful feeling.

Offline clintoris

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 03:04:03 AM »
cheers lads, i have a few games lined up over the next week or two so i plan on just playing 167pts short to feel out where i could best strengthen list. will get back to you soon enough!