News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Point of Open Topped?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Inquisitor Subs

Point of Open Topped?
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:19:03 AM »
This has been the debate between me and my friends recently.  What is the point of open topped?  I know on Transports it allows you to fire out, but on say, a Leman Russ, whats the advantage of having that commander poke his head out?  And what are the drawbacks?

Offline Mr.Zombie Pogo Stick

Re: Point of Open Topped?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »
whats the advantage of having that commander poke his head out?
So he can hit people with his sword!! lol

But seriously the good thing is that you can assult as soon as you get out!
And the bad thing is that (I think) your opponent adds 1 to the AP roll when he shoots you (Like a titens destroyer weapon)

My 2 pennies.
Can I have sex with it while killing it? - Daniel, Duck Lord of the True Kin
I always thought Autarch's were a bit fruity - Seraph Tenacious
oh holy jumped-up christ on a pogo-stick! - Rasmus
Hey look i can post the word poop fifty times -DestroyerOfWorlds
seven randomly selected Lithuanians get mumps every time someone digs up an old thread - Mr Peanut
Be yourself, don't take anyone's amphetamine parrot, and never let them take you alive." - Gerard Way

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »
being open topped is a vehicle classification.  a leman russ with a commander sticking out the top does not change it to open topped, it just looks cool.

further information on it can be found in the appropriate section of the BGB (at work so cannot give an appropriate page reference, maybe someone can help out with that)
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Teleologica

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:23:56 PM »
Vehicle Types, p59
Also Transport Vehicles p62 (Access Points and Embarking & Disembarking)
Infantry Firing from Vehicles p64
Open-Topped Vehicles p68

In short, Pros = All embarked troops can shoot while embarked (no fire point limitations), or can disembark (then FoF if possible) then assault.
Cons = Easier to kill (esp as they tend to be low AP as well, like my soggy cardboard Raiders)

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 03:45:35 PM »
Right, Open Topped are usually really crummy vehicles - shoddy pieces of work.  They are sometimes less points in the game and liable to fall apart as soon as they are shot.  But they are often fast as well, and yes, Orks love 'em because it is possible to jump out and assault on the same turn which can't be done with non-open topped vehicles.
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline Killeritch

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 05:10:51 PM »
That's a bit generalist. The Basilisk and Griffon are open-topped because the guns are a bit big and anyway if your opponent's shooting them, you've done something wrong (yes of course within 40k lots of people do shoot basilisks but that's because the battle lines are fairly flat, your basilisks really should be 200" or so behind the main line), and obviously orks and dark eldar have open-topped transports, enough said. Ravagers are really just transpost like more guns, what else? Land speeders, sentinels and salamanders, they're reconnaisance so want the extra field of vision (ok, so technically land speeders aren't open topped but you know what I mean), and I guess that's about it. If there are any more, they probably are just crummily built.

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
  • Armies: The Brave & Noble Albion 212th Imperial Guard
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 05:33:06 PM »
Why open topped? So da boyz can get krumpin' quicker!

If a vehicle is open topped it means that units can assault the same turn the dis-embark, it also means that the entire squad can shoot at anything, anywhere (within LOS and range restrictions).

It also makes sense fluff-wise that a fast vehicle is open topped, think of the weight saved without having armour plating on top.

And finally, a Leman Russ model with a guy sticking his head out of the top hatch doesn't make it open topped, it just looks cooler.
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!

Offline archondav

• Warrior
  • Master Haemonculus
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 07:21:11 AM »
Here is an interesting thought though. The Ravager is an open topped tank (non-transport). Is there any other vehicle in the game that is open topped that is not a vehicle? Maybe the Piranha?
It seems like all the advantages of being open topped involve transporting troops. In that case, the Ravager really only gains all the disadvantages of being open topped since it doesn't transport any troops.
It might be interesting if in the upcoming codex, GW allowed the Ravager the ability to transport a small compliment of troops ala the Falcon, however that might make it a little overpowered.

Offline TagniK'ZuR

• You have the right to act your shoe size
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 07:39:50 AM »
Here is an interesting thought though. The Ravager is an open topped tank (non-transport). Is there any other vehicle in the game that is open topped that is not a vehicle?

I don't really know of any open-topped vehicles that aren't vehicles  ???

If you meant 'transports' on they other hand. . .
Sentinels
Hellhounds IIRC
Basilisk
Griffon
Warbuggies?
Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live.

If you ignore your health long enough, it will go away.

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 08:54:05 AM »
hellhounds aren't open topped, I think they used to be....

PSN: Leman Vanquisher

Offline Imperial Dragon

• Overkill is a state of mind.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 09:13:19 AM »
Hellhounds are not open topped.  In fact the only OT armor we have* is the Bassie and the Sentinal, both of which can be enclosed.  But not really worth the points IMO.

*Not counting Forge World

Offline TagniK'ZuR

• You have the right to act your shoe size
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »
Hmm, I though they counted as being ope-topped because of their fuel tanks or something, it has been quite a while since I've read the IG codex, so I'll gladly accept that I got it wrong
Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live.

If you ignore your health long enough, it will go away.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »
the hellhound used to be open topped cause of the gas tanks, but that isnt the case any more.
also, note that the land speeder is not open topped because the crew is in power armour (fluff)

also a lot of vehicles are open topped to explain their design.  primarily in the fact that they are easily damaged and a shot can pass through armour and hit some sensitive area of equipment and disable the vehicle more easily than if it were closed.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Outside_Enemy

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 11:30:07 AM »
Mechanically, the 'open-topped' status also serves to add gradation to vehicle rules.  It can be used to represent tanks which are a bit my vulnerable than they would otherwise appear (like the hellhound used to be), or to represent assault vehicles (transports). 

I think it's a pretty decent mechanic, and serves the purpose rather well.

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
  • Armies: The Brave & Noble Albion 212th Imperial Guard
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 06:01:44 PM »
I think Hellhounds add +1 when rolling for damage, or maybe it's all vehicle destoryed, wrecked or annihalted results count as annihalated, not sure though, it's been a while since I used a Hellhound.
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 06:06:04 PM »
Nah, they don't. Incidently, the rule you just paraphrased IS open-topped used to be...

Hellhounds are now just bog-standard tanks, with a big flamethrower.

PSN: Leman Vanquisher