News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How to fight you guys.......  (Read 1214 times)

Offline 4 the greater food

• Walk softly.........and carry a big gun
How to fight you guys.......
« on: July 21, 2007, 12:18:18 AM »
This might seem awkward but i was wondering if you would have any pointers on how to fight necrons
i play tau and i often fight necrons so any advice would be extremely helpfull :D
JUST DO IT ( with the help of 27 drones)

You'll be back again? GOOD, more things 2 shoot

Chuck Norris is the emperor

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
Re: How to fight you guys.......
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 12:23:29 AM »
Well, don't feel badly if your Tau army is doing poorly against Necrons.  That match-up makes for an uphill battle for the Tau player every time.  By what I understand, Fire Warriors and Markerlights are key, which is true  against most opponents for Tau, I think, but bear with me.  You want to focus on wiping out entire units all in one turn, denying as much WBB as you can.  It will help you if you borrow your opponent's codex and read the section concerning "We'll Be Back", as that will tell you exactly what you're up against.  Anything with armor pierce 3 or better will serve you well, but the majority of Necrons you take down will be with your Fire Warriors, assuming you bring significant numbers.  They are the most efficient method of downing Necrons in your army, I believe.  Match them up with Markerlights, and begin striking Necrons en masse with BS 4.  It'll be tough even given all of that, but if you're smart, especially when the Necrons close in and get in range for the harrying tactics employed by Crisis Suits, I think there's a decent chance of pulling off a win.

Part of it depends on your list and the Necron lists you're coming up against.  You really need to give us more information before we can help you with anything specific.

Offline 4 the greater food

• Walk softly.........and carry a big gun
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 12:37:13 AM »
sry about the point cost thing i will have a new list soon
( im still sucha n00b...*smacks forehead*)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 01:11:30 AM by 4 the greater food »
JUST DO IT ( with the help of 27 drones)

You'll be back again? GOOD, more things 2 shoot

Chuck Norris is the emperor

Offline Mr.Squid

• Feral Grot
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 01:09:12 AM »
2 things.

1: This should really go to the Tau board,

And 2: Never Post Individual Point Cost's!!!!! :-\

Mr.Squid
Maybe the regiment consists entirely of Ninjas who were orphaned by Dark Eldar slavers. With a score to settle, these black clad night assassins fight against their hated parent-murderers with laser shurikens and untold ferocity.

Offline Riaddon

• Survived the Howard hex
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 09:34:36 AM »
I play both tau and necron.

I usually have far easier a time beating down other necrons with my tau then the other way around.

Put down a team of 3 crisis suits, with the +1bs upgrade and 2 shield drones. This will be horrendously hard to put down, even for his heavy destroyers, and in turn drops his heavy destroyers/monoliths without any problem. You could even give the team leader a target lock to ensure you can shoot at 2 things.

Further. I usually skimp on my firewarrior squads vs necrons. A str 5 pretty much fails to do much when the opponent gets a 3+ save followed by another 4+ save.

Elitewise I usually take lots of crisis suits, twinlinked plasma, with bs 4, 2 shield drones.

The lord, plasma and cyclic ion.

The result:

I will be fielding enough plasma with such a high hitrate that in general i can wipe out a full squad, seperating it from others so wbb is no option. The number of shielddrones means that killing the suits themselves is potentially harder then you dropping his units.

Since any destroyers/monoliths will be easy bait for your firepower, it all comes down to
"can his footsloggers beat down your suits?" With the amount of wounds, and favourable firepower in your advantage, this is a no. Especially since you can usually get away without a problem.

Just hit them as hard as you can, 1 squad at a time.

I have had 3 games in which I phased out the full necron force on turn 2. With little or even no casualties on my own side.

Hammerheads aren't that neat vs necrons, since even the basic footfolk can wreck it, negating its survivability, it basically becomes a really expensive broadside with less of a chance to hit.. that dies faster.

Vespids.. well basically you get a unit that does to its opponent at bs 3 with a high cost, what the same opponent does to the vespids cheaper at bs 4, with more shots. Bad bargain imho.
3000pts Tau, 4500pts Space Marines, 5000 pts Tyranids, 3500 pts of Eldar, 2500 pts Necrons, 4000 points worth of orks. (and some imperial guard, I know, addiction, shush)

Offline Foxfire

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 10:53:24 AM »
I have a few problems with what I'm hearing, Riaddon.  First of all, the Plasma Rifles on your Crisis suits don't have nearly the range of the Destroyer's Gauss Cannons, thus can't target them unless the Destroyers are foolishly close.  The same goes for Heavy Destroyers.  Your only real option there is Missile Pods, and those aren't as dangerous to Destroyers as their Gauss Cannons are to your Crisis Suits.  Furthermore, Crisis Suit Plasma can't damage a Monolith at all.  In fact, unless there is a new piece of gear in their codex that I'm not aware of, no weapon of the Crisis Suits other than the Fusion Blaster has any chance at all to damage it, and in the case of the Fusion Blaster, chances are still slim. 

Having played against Tau many times, I'm going to have to say that Destroyers definitely aren't easy for them to deal with, no more than Immortals are.   The only way you're going to easily put the Monolith away is with Railguns, not Crisis Suits.  Have you made a mistake, and said Crisis Suits when you meant Broadsides?

At any rate, if you phased out these Necron players by turn two, I'm going to have to say that the player was...well, either severely under points, or extremely inexperienced.  That is assuming that both of you were playing entirely within the rules for the Tau and the Necrons, and weren't minsconstruing any of them.  Wwe had a player at my gaming store who made up rules for Tau, cheating more blatantly than anyone I've ever seen, and his results were close to what you describe; thus it's possible that if the rules are misread that the Tau could have this sort of efficacy against the Necrons.  As to Necron rules being misread, that happens all the time, though such misreadings usually make them stronger, if anything.  It just occurs to me that the Tau army didn't have the fire power to do most of the things you describe last I checked the new codex.  My friend has the new codex, though, so if I'm missing something(having not gone through the entire thing), please give me some page numbers and I'll go do some research.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 11:12:59 AM by Foxfire »

Offline Riaddon

• Survived the Howard hex
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 07:35:22 AM »
yeah pretty much meant broadsides in the first part :P

i use broadsides vs the destroyers, at least untill the monolith drops.

The plasma fire is mainly used against warriors, gets a pretty decent body count fast.

My apologies for the mistake, made the whole comment make very little sense :P

A quick summation:2 teams of broadsides with the configuration i listed earlier (mistakingly putting crisis suits) means that in general you put down a full destroyer squad per round, near autohit, near autowound, no save, no wbb.

bulking up on plasma fire you can pour out as much as 9 twinlinked bs 4 shots and 1 bs 5 shot per turn at long range, 18+2 at rapid fire range. Since most of it will hit, wound and ignore the save, you just have the wbb to worry about. Especially when the broadsides start helping the squads drop pretty fast.

And yes, I know this is about as cheesy as it gets, specifically tooling things to drop the other army.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 07:42:48 AM by Riaddon »
3000pts Tau, 4500pts Space Marines, 5000 pts Tyranids, 3500 pts of Eldar, 2500 pts Necrons, 4000 points worth of orks. (and some imperial guard, I know, addiction, shush)

Offline Foxfire

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 11:52:45 AM »
I'm just glad you clarified.  Yes, the list you describe maintains enough resilience and fire power to keep death at bay while knocking over a good number of Necrons.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of any balanced list that could cope with it, though I think it would have a serious problem with an armada list(maxed Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers, minimal Warriors and a Resurrection Orb Lord).  Still, I think that tailoring an army to cope with an enemy is not generally the best way to learn to deal with it, and that even though that particular list makes Necrons easy to deal with for you, either playing an all-comers Necron list versus an all-comers Tau list, or playing a mad unorthidox Necron list versus an unorthidox Tau list, you'd still probably see where we're coming from about Tau having the harder fight most of the time.

So, how about that list, 4GF?

Offline Pvt. Dancer

• Dropped at the first sign of trouble
« Reply #8 on: August 4, 2007, 09:12:07 AM »
Depending on the amount of points you will spend I'd suggest O'Shovah + Sunforge equipped bodyguards, maybe even with shield drones

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #9 on: August 4, 2007, 09:24:36 AM »
Well, some simple stuff:

Kill the faster things first(...ie: Destroyers and Wraiths) when you have the oppurtunity.

When you decide on a target, focus fire until they are all dead.

Keep your vehicles's rear armor to the board edge, use range to your advantedge where possible.

DOn't forget they are NOT fearless, they 'can' run/pinned.

Anything Str6 and ap 3/2/1 is good...but usually not in excess if you are not tailoring...

My 2 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline Tramopoline!!!!!

• Armies:412th Cadian Regiment-90/412 Cadian Armored
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 09:59:48 AM »
i keep reading in threads about people claiming the way to deal with such and such army is to stack your army with such and such, in my experience this is pretty poor planning since the game was designed to be played with balanced lists in mind...and on the tournament scene you will get punished for poor composition taking lists like the tau player above. Foxfire is dead on the money when he says to play against a balanced necron list with a balanced list of your own making, this allows you to learn about your own armies tactics and the enemies.

What the tau ahve to really worry about with the necrons is deepstrikers and the monolith. Sure the lith will get exploded by rail fire, but it will survive at least one turn, in which time it will most likely teleport a necron unit close to your lines. Also...fear the veil of darkness since the lord, combined with a unit of warriors will also deepstrike into your lines, although this time you get to possibly rapid fire into the unit before it assaults you.....

Wraiths will hurt you, as will scarab swarms, in both cases they can manage a 30" charge, and in the case of scarabs, any necron player worth his salt will use them to tie up your broadsides or crisis suits. At 12 pts a unit they are possibly the best tar pit unit in the game, when given disruption fields they can blow up tanks with unnerving ease.

basically STAY OUT OF COMBAT and focus your firewarriors on the troops slowly coming towards you while your elites/ HS plaster the fast units....if they can.
"Ours is not to wonder why, ours is but to do and die."

Treadhead....born and raised

Offline Foxfire

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 10:08:45 AM »
Rest easy, Tramo, Wraiths and Scarabs can only charge eighteen inches.  I think the rule you're thinking of is turboboost, which allows them to move twenty four inches in the movement phase.  While this is nice for relocating them very quickly, it doesn't allow anything else to be done that turn, including shooting or assaulting.

With a Monolith, Wraiths can manage a 38' charge(12' movement+18' teleport+2' deployment area outside the portal+6' charge), which I will admit is a really bad scenario for Tau, but the fact is that you're unlikely to see that unless you're having trouble with the Monolith.  Wraiths will be among the first thing to reach your lines anyway, and the Monolith is usually reserved to assist the slower moving elements in moving forward.