News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scourges  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Valeri Wrath

• How many of you guys have your own victory dance?
Re:Scourges
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2003, 06:24:35 PM »
Playing against an army like Tyranids or orks is when you can really feel warm and fuzzy about your 4SC weilding Scourges squad.

16 SC shots = 10.6 hits = 5.2 wounded genestealers which is about 4.35 dead genestealers (with the 6+sv).

Actually, unless they have a cover save, the genestealers would get no armour save.

-human:  I personally don't suggest that you take a scourges squad in a 500 point army.  They are much too specialized and expensive to have.  I find that 2 sniper squads, a raider squad w/ dracon, and a ravager w/ 3 dis works well in 500 point games.  it uses all of you advantages- high numbe of models, lots of cheap heavy weapons, and some close combat power.

Valeri Wrath
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." - a saying from a "Now and Zen" T-Shirt

Offline - Human

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2003, 08:02:34 AM »
All sounds good, but what good would the raider squad w/ dragon be? He's tooled for CC but they just have splinter rifles! I'd adda syrabite I guess, but am i missing something?
- Barely breathing, Minus Human, come squeeze the world and drip it down my throat again

Offline Blood Archon

• Archon Sanguinius
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2003, 09:15:50 AM »
Not really... the Dracon will rip everything apart.  ::)

As for your Scourges w/DLs...

In normal 40K, they are pretty much pointless.

In cityfight, though, they really shine, because they are so mobile. In cityfight I'd also recommend that you take 7 Scourges (no sybarite) in the squad to cover DT losses. After all, if they're sitting on top of a building taking pot-shots at enemy tanks all game, then they've done their job. It's possible to get them into position in about 2 turns (usually) or sometimes 3. Either way, you'll probably have the fear factor going for you the entire time. He might commit a squad he would otherwise assign for something else (ie Assault Marines) to chase down the Scourges. If he does this, he's taken out a significant part of his force's attack strength. You'll probably not need a sybarite in this case because
A: If the scourges are in assault, they're screwed
B: The bulk of the opponent's army won't be able to reach them at all, so they won't be in range.

-BA
DE Pickup Lines:
Would you like to be... err, SEE my trophy rack?
I would be honored if you would sample my agoniser.
I will have my Incubi punish YOU if you do not come with me.
Don't you think I'm hot in this hellmask?

Offline Cambyses

• One Badass Penguin!
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2003, 10:38:31 PM »
I like an eight man squad of Scourges with Cannons too. The extra bodies are simply thatextra bodies--a meat shield.

I also never take a Sybarite since the only thing they are good for is taking Wargear and an extra attack in assault. Generally, wargear is something you want if you're going into CC and you winged wonders are far too precious to be wasting in hand-to-hand combat.

Some like to give their Syb a T'fex, but for my money, resting my hopes on pinning the enemy squad is too tenuous--I've not had much luck with that and *when* they pass their pin test, they'll be within assault range--bad. Instead, I save the points and use them somewhere else and just pick on straggler units to SHRED. The only units that can mitigate 16 strength 4 shots are wearing power armor so you have to be wary about how you use them.

Hope this helps.
'take only prisoners, leave only corpses'