News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Pricing for Commission work  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
Pricing for Commission work
« on: March 23, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »
So recently a friend of mine paid me to paint a large portion of his army and I just gave a rough estimate of cost for the models. He said I should think about doing commission work in my spare time and I want to see if I can get any people interested. However, I have absolutely no idea what pricing for this sort of work should be.
I was wondering if anyone has any commission sites that list their pricing or any idea of what basic rates are. usually I do a lot of heavily converted models as well and I have no idea how that would work into the pricing scheme ether.
I have some of my work on my instagram which is brantmac if anyone wants to take a look at some of my stuff. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Pricing for Commission work
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »
Always hard to price your work. No matter what, make sure that you're getting paid for the hours your working, so whatever you charge should at least cover minimum wage (ideally more).

What you might want to do, is check out other painting services and see what they charge. I know there are a few out there. Might give you a good idea for a ballpark to work with.

I know frontline gaming does a painting service, and a bit of google-foo can find you some others. If prices are not listed, just send the folks emails for quotes and see what they are offering.

That's what I would do in your shoes.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 04:17:28 PM »
Chat to Cav. He does commission work for Frontline, so he should have a good idea of what is reasonable.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 07:12:03 AM »
Hey Brash... yeah here's how Frontline (who I work for) does it. Paint Service | Frontline Gaming

Its an easy system to communicate to people... and you can just reference them if they try to haggle price. FLG is really affordable... and a good deal cheaper than most of the studios.

Anyway hope that helps  ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »
Cavalier: Now that answers a question or two.