News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Thoughts on Fyreslayers?  (Read 979 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Thoughts on Fyreslayers?
« on: December 4, 2018, 02:31:41 PM »
In my (apparently neverending) quest to pick a faction, now I have myself almost talked into an army of naked volcano dwarves.

Anything I should know? Watch out for? Are they fun to play (they seem to be)?

Thought they might make a nice counterpoint to a friend's (potential) Idoneth Deepkin army. Water elves vs fire dwarves! We could call it "The Steam Wars."

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Thoughts on Fyreslayers?
« Reply #1 on: December 4, 2018, 04:06:03 PM »
I think they are a very cool army. Nothing quite like fire duradin. It's basically an entire Slayers army. If you really want to be inspired, I recommend listening to the new Gotrex Audiodrama Realmslayer. There are some fantastic fyreslayers stuff in there.

The real strength of the army is a few 30 man mobs of Volkite Bezerkers with slingshields. With the shields, they're resilient (if they didn't charge), and with 20+ models in their unit, they became even more durable.

Then, if they are within 8" of a battlesmith, they can re-roll save rolls too. So, those two things combined makes a fairly durable unit.

The heroes are all cool, they have a cool monster, and the Auric Runesmiter can get around their low movement by allowing a unit to tunnel!
« Last Edit: December 5, 2018, 01:23:41 PM by Irisado »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: December 4, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »
This is what I suspected. My primary reluctance toward the faction before was largely due to paint scheme. Except now I have a cool paint scheme in mind (charcoal black bodies, blazing hair and eyes) I want to try out.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: December 4, 2018, 04:27:18 PM »
I think you should do it. They have allegence abilities and some extra battalions in the Generals handbook as well. I know their book has been pulled at my local GW (along with Ironjaws, seraphon, flesh eaters courts, and pestilence), so I'd expect to see them getting an update before the next generals handbook comes out.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2018, 05:33:22 PM »
So don't buy the Battletome just yet, eh?

Also: you'd take shields over double axes? Those re-rolls seem nice...

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2018, 07:15:06 PM »
So don't buy the Battletome just yet, eh?

Also: you'd take shields over double axes? Those re-rolls seem nice...

Yeah, the save keeps your guys around longer.

If you want the battalions, I'd get the book, but otherwise you'll just need the app, and the handbook. If you're just buying models, no rush while you collect.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 10:49:07 PM »
I think Fyreslayers are a really cool force to put on the table. I've read through their rules once or twice, and while they are slow, they can definitely pack enough punch to make up for it. Plus, they have some really great models. Not to mention that they have a great Start Collecting Box. You're basically paying for the Salamander and get everything else just about free!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!