News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New to 7th, 1500pts  (Read 804 times)

Offline dan.gill.391

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
New to 7th, 1500pts
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:03:56 PM »
Hi All,

I've played Eldar during 5th but not 6th and this is my first bash at 7th.  Still getting to grips with the new rules (I have a bit of catching up to do!) but was wondering whether the wise folks here would cast their eyes over this list for me..

HQ
Farseer, Singing Spear, Spirit Stone - 120 (joins DAs)

Spirit Seer, Spirit Stone - 85 (joins Wraith Guard)

Elites
6x Striking Scorpions - Exarch, Claw - 142

6x Fragons - Exarch, DBF
- 142 (In Falcon)

Troops
9x Dire Avengers - Exarch, P Sword and S Shield - 147

9x Dire Avengers - Exarch, Dual Shuri Cats - 132

5x Wraith Guard - Wave Serpent, Holofield, T-L Bright Lances - 295

Fast Attack
6x Warp Spiders - 114

Heavy Support
Falcon - Scatter Laser, Holofield - 150

Wraithlord - Bright Lance x2 - 160

Thoughts

In 5th I always ran a hammer/anvil type army with DAs, Wraithlord and Farseer as the anvil and aspect warriors in falcons as my hammers.  Having read a few posts on this forum and the missions in the new rule book I'm worried that my troop choices will be too slow or fragile to claim objectives.

The units in blue are bought and painted (they are from 5th edition) so I would like to keep them in for now if possible.

My basic idea is that the DAs, Farseer and Wraithlord stay as a mutually supportive unit, advancing behind the faster transports claiming and holding objectives whilst still providing fire support (although I acknowledge DAs are a bit squishy for this sort of work).

The Scorpions and Warp Spiders are used aggressively and early to take out/thin/slow down units that are too numerous for my DAs.

The Fragons and Wraithguard are mobile to hunt down tougher targets, with the added benefit that the Wraiths can contest objectives that are further away fro my line.

The plethora of bright lances are to help deal my my intense anxiety about these giant units that seem to be the fashion at the moment (Rip Tides, Wraith Knights et al).

Thanks

Dan

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:05:08 PM by dan.gill.391 »

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: New to 7th, 1500pts
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 04:34:53 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I think you have a decent list with a sound plan, however hereare some suggestions:

Farseer: Really needs a bike, not for the speed but to survive, however he works well, what powers are you hoping for him to get?

Spirit Seer: I guess you want your wraithguard as troops, however when you do have fire dragons (frag-ons?) and some lances I wouldn't bother too much with the wraithguards. Sticking this guy with the scorpions for a 4+ cover in the open is not a bad thing though.

Striking scorpions: crushing blow will make his attacks S8 right? I'd also suggest you get more models or the unit will be shot to pieces before it reaches it target.

Frag-ons: I'm not sure if it works with the flamer, but fast shot is a great upgrade for the exarch.

Dire Avengers: Exarches were bad in 5th, now they are even worse, drop them and take regular Avengers.

Wraith guard: I'd rather have stormguardians with flamers to take out horde of infantry.

Wave Serpent: should really have the scatter lasers, and probably the shuriken cannon too, unless you intend to jink a lot, then the cannon is not that important. You can buy the serpent for the avengers if you don't take the wraithguard, and I would actually not bother loading up the avengers in it, just run it empty, as it is a sufficient threat on it's own.

Warp Spiders: These are great, some say you should take 8+ models, which is probably best when you start them on the ground, however taking the Small unit of 5 is preferable when deep striking them.

Falcon: Here is where I'd put the brightlance from the wave serpent, I'd consider not taking holofield here as the falcon do not really want to jink, however if you keep the scatter laser holofields are of course worthwhile.

Wraithlord: He does have flamers right? Then great.

BTW: Don't use brightlances to take down MC's, use shuriken catapults or shuriken cannons and deathspinners if they are T8+.

Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline dan.gill.391

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:18:45 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. 

Farseer: Really needs a bike, not for the speed but to survive, however he works well, what powers are you hoping for him to get?

I agree a bike would probably be the better option however, at the moment he is painted on foot, if they ever make a good looking Eldar jetbike I would invest.  I planned on taking all my spells from the Runes of Fate, I used to run a doomseer with mind war for 5th so I was hoping for Doom, Fortune and executioner or mindwar, plus guide.

Spirit Seer: I guess you want your wraithguard as troops, however when you do have fire dragons (frag-ons?) and some lances I wouldn't bother too much with the wraithguards. Sticking this guy with the scorpions for a 4+ cover in the open is not a bad thing though.

Yeah I took him to generate warp charges, make wraithguard troops and for spirit mark (got to make those wraithcannon shots count!).  Hoping for destructor or protect from runes of battle.

Striking scorpions: crushing blow will make his attacks S8 right? I'd also suggest you get more models or the unit will be shot to pieces before it reaches it target.

Noted.

Frag-ons: I'm not sure if it works with the flamer, but fast shot is a great upgrade for the exarch.

As far as I am aware fast shot doesn't do anything to a flamer.  I have always found the DBF really useful.

Dire Avengers: Exarches were bad in 5th, now they are even worse, drop them and take regular Avengers.

Wraith guard: I'd rather have stormguardians with flamers to take out horde of infantry.

Noted. 

Wave Serpent: should really have the scatter lasers, and probably the shuriken cannon too, unless you intend to jink a lot, then the cannon is not that important. You can buy the serpent for the avengers if you don't take the wraithguard, and I would actually not bother loading up the avengers in it, just run it empty, as it is a sufficient threat on it's own.

I think I'll have a few games before I decide which weapons to stick on the serpent.

Warp Spiders: These are great, some say you should take 8+ models, which is probably best when you start them on the ground, however taking the Small unit of 5 is preferable when deep striking them.

2 units of 5 sound a great idea.

Falcon: Here is where I'd put the brightlance from the wave serpent, I'd consider not taking holofield here as the falcon do not really want to jink, however if you keep the scatter laser holofields are of course worthwhile.

I stuck the scatter laser here so it can laser lock the pulse laser.

Wraithlord: He does have flamers right? Then great.

Of course, and at the moment an EML which needs remodelling.  :-\

BTW: Don't use brightlances to take down MC's, use shuriken catapults or shuriken cannons and deathspinners if they are T8+

Got it.

Here is another idea.

HQ
Farseer, Singing Spear, Spirit Stone - 120 (joins DAs)

Spirit Seer, Spirit Stone - 85 (joins Wraith Guard)

Elites
6x Striking Scorpions - Exarch, Claw - 142

6x Fragons - Exarch, DBF - 142 (In Falcon)

Troops
10x Dire Avengers - Exarch, P Sword and S Shield
- Waveserpent, Holofield, T-L Lance or Scatter laser

5x Wraith Guard
- Wave Serpent, Holofield, T-L Bright Lances

Here is my idea, by trading in a whole troop choice (2 enough in 1500pts?).  I get another serpent and slightly beefier far faster DA unit that don't have to share their Farseer's enhancements without unit.  It does leave the wraithlord to his own devices but I can use him more aggressively now to go and kick something to death.

Fast Attack
6x Warp Spiders - 114

Heavy Support
Falcon - Scatter Laser, Holofield - 150

Wraithlord - Flamers, Bright Lance x2 - 160

I would really like 2 more scorpions and 4 more spiders but can't get the points.

Better?

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »
I don't know if I hqve enough experience since I have none but I was thinking about what you said regarding the dire avenger exarq, that's juste just a personnal thought and it's turned toward a very special type of opponents which are blood angels and 'nids but the shimmershield seems a right upgrade to me as most of those when then get into close combat situation will reap your armor to pieces so a 5+ invu save is no big deal but can help the squad survive just a little bit more little enought for you to replace your guys the  way want in order to wipe out the remaining enemy that survived the fight with the dire avengers? Any comment on that?
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:07:29 AM »
Grizzly,

You are absolutely right that this is what the shimmershield is used for –It won’t help you win the combat against ‘nids, daemons or terminators but it might let you survive another turn.
However with the exarch upgrade included, that’s 30pts, which is quite expensive for a very situational 1-turn delaying tactic.
I find with the speed of the Eldar, I rarely need the extra turn to position my forces to deal with the consolidating enemy after an assault, so really all that 30pts buys me is 1 more turn where the enemy unit can’t do any damage (and where I can’t do any damage to the enemy unit).
There are times where I wish my DAs had the shimmershield, but not often enough to justify the 30pts.

Cheers,
VG
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline dan.gill.391

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: August 7, 2014, 08:48:10 PM »
Hi all,

I have had a think and come up with some changes, please let me know why you think.

1850pts.

Farseer - Spirit stone, singing spear (Runes of Fate)
Spirit Seer (Runes of Battle)

8x Striking Scorpions -Exarch, Scorpion's Claw
6x Fire Dragons - Exarch, Dragon's Breath Flamer (Falcon)

10x Dire Avengers - Exarch, Power Weapon and Shimmershield

5x Wraithguard (Farseer)
Waveserpent - Twin-Linked Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon

5x Wraithguard with D-Scythes (Spirit Seer)
Waveserpent - Twin-Linked Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon

5x Rangers

Falcon - Brightlance, Holofield
Wraithlord - 2x Brightlances, 2x Flamers
Wraithlord - 2x Brightlances, 2x Flamers