News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k no Unbound vs Orcs/DA/IG -1st list for 7th ed.  (Read 826 times)

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
2k no Unbound vs Orcs/DA/IG -1st list for 7th ed.
« on: July 23, 2014, 04:39:00 AM »
HQ
Farseer –Jetbike, Spear, SSofA, 3 x chosen powers: Vortex, Fortune, Invisibility (165) –rides with Jetbike squad
Warlock, spear (xx) - rides with Stormies

Troops
10 x DAs (xxx)
In Serpent –scatter, cannon & holos (145)

10 x Guardian Storms -2 x flamer (100)

9 x Jetbikes -3 x cannon (183)

Elites
6 x Fire Dragons  (xxx)

Fast Attack
8 x Warp Spiders (xxx)
7 x Swooping Hawks (xxx)
1 x Vyper –scatter & cannon (70)

Heavy
Wraithknight (xxx)
Fire Prism  (xxx)
Night Spinner (xxx)

So there’s two general themes to the list: the first is to use a variety of units to help with learning how Eldar work in 7th ed, and specifically units that didn’t get much playtime for me in 6th ed (which would be dragons, warlocks, vypers, wraithknight & fire prism) to see if I like them more, now.
The second theme is that of speed. –Every unit can move at least 12” and fire (or are in transports). I’ve found the speed of the Eldar to be very forgiving of mistakes in deployment and target priority, which I expect to make a fair few of as I’m learning the edition and haven’t faced new Orc or IG codex armies before.

I’ll be fighting either Orcs (new dex), DA or IG. Only restriction is no unbound armies, so Lords of War are an option (and to some extent expected –I know the Orc player has at least one Stompa and the IG has at least 1 Baneblade, and both have complained about not getting many chances to use them recently.

General thoughts & suggestions very welcome, but some things I am not sure about are:
-Spirit Stone of A: Worth the points?
-Dragon breath flamer I have put in there partly to help clear IG grunts in cover, but mainly to deter charging Orcs. –Worth it, or do I need the 6th fusion gun (in which case, drop the exarch upgrade altogether)
-Holos still worth it with changes to jink? I guess it may come down to terrain density. Don’t know what that will be (we get a neutral player to place our terrain for us).

Cheers,

VG

<list edited as per discusions below>
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:56:40 PM by volatilegaz »
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: 2k no Unbound vs Orcs/DA/IG -1st list for 7th ed.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:09:59 PM »
I think you overall have a solid list, but as always I will come with some tweak suggestions.

Farseer: Yes that spirit stone is well worth it's points when you are on a bike, remember to try to get at least 2 WC2+ powers to make it worthwhile, you will have best chance at WC2 if you roll on runes of fate or malefic daemonology. Rolling on divination, taking prescience as a safe WC2 power is also a strategy.

Warlock: with stormies is always nice you may get a 3rd flamer or give them a 4+ save, he can always give them a 3+ cover behind their serpent when disembarked. Don't roll more than 1 dice on any of his powers though. Also having him in the serpent still gives your farseer an extra dice to throw.

Fire Dragons: I think an extra fusion gun would do you good especially if there might be super heavies around, but don't take an extra model give the exarch fast shot, it's cheaper and he has higher BS.

Warp spiders: if you are not going to deep strike them they are fine, perhaps a 9th model for morale optimisation.

Swooping Hawks: If you have more points to spend then on 6 models I think you should get the exarch with the blindrifle.

Vyper: I'd rather have a lancewalker but as you may not be able to have more heavy slots I think it will be fine, mostly ignored, remember always jink even if it's only 1 bolter aiming for it.

Wraithknight: just as good as a stompa or baneblade.

Fire Prism & Nightspinner: it's nice to have some blasts, if the ork or AM player decides to horde up and spam infantry models, and still not bad against tanks. I haven't played these units yet but I suspect you might strip away their holos since you are not going to want to jink with these.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:58:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Fenris.
I’ve tweaked by dropping the holo on the night spinner, for favour of fast shot on the dragon exarch and a spear for the farseer.
I’ve kep the flamer on the exarch though –I’ve never tried it, but it occurs to me that 2 x heavy flamer shots makes the dragons a lot more versatile in battlefield role, and could really make the orc (or possibly even DA) player think twice about assaulting them after they’ve popped out of their transport.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:51:11 AM »
New twist just introduced by the Campaign Master:
Psyker Warlords can spend 10pts per power to choose rather than roll for that power

...interesting...

So What powers would you choose for this list, if any, and why?

I'm leaning towards invisibility, but am open to offers.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »
Now that is a big twist :)
As long as you keep the stones I'd take Invisibility, fortune and scriers gaze.

Without the stones, I'd take doom, psychic shriek and invisibility.

Post Merge: July 28, 2014, 12:49:00 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Post Merge: July 28, 2014, 02:56:27 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:56:27 PM by Fenris »

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 04:01:07 AM »
Definitely keeping the stones.

I agree with you that those are the 3 best 2WC powers, but I’m thinking this is a prime opportunity to have a play with Vortex.
So… vortex, Invisibility and fortune? Maybe merge the 2 JB squads to get the most out of the protection powers (since I’m guessing a warlord with vortex is going to attract a lot of attention)

To pay for it (30pts), I’m thinking of losing the FD exarch and the Night Spinner holo, and giving the Warlock a spear with the leftover pts.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 03:06:23 PM »
Stop me if i'm wrong but the fast shot rules is when your exarch can fire one more round of it's weapon per turn right? Then why do i see most of you taking it with flamer when it is said in the codex that you don't have any extra shot with template weapon?
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:35:26 PM »
You are absolutely correct Grizzlykin. eldar codex p.30
I thought I had missed something allow the DBF to fire twice, but I looked it up and it specifically says it does not work with template weapons. It still works with the fusion gun or the pike :) And even blast weapons like the tempest launcher.

Vortex is nice but you will need to throw 5 dices at it, to have a 75% casting chance.

I know it doesn't suit your list, but it would have been fun to use Eldrad with sanctuary, fortune, invisibility, Gate of infinity and then add 10 reapers, frag-ons or whatever. Your opponent will hit them on 6's only, have eldrad tossing away anything AP4+ or S8+ on a 2+ for a 3+ re-roll, and if failed or not so dangerous shot have a 2++ save with re-roll.
Chances to hurt Eldrad would be roughly 1/2592 with boltershots or 1/259 krak missiles for instant death.

Sorry if I'm ranting.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 06:57:53 AM »
Yes quite right, Grizzly. -I was wondering why I had never thought of doing it before, and now I know!

ref vortex: yeah 5 dice is a bit steep (though 4 dice isn't bad odds), but I should be able to get that off and invisibility each turn, wih fortune there for the turns when I'm not in range to vortex, or get lucky with my WC roll.