News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Challenge 2014!!  (Read 38284 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Challenge 2014!!
« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2014, 08:30:30 AM »
Good to see the site back up and running.

I had a fairly unproductive month, but I did manage to build and finish a Wraithknight. I'll work out points and post some pictures later in the week, as I'm about to go on holiday for a few days...which reminds me...must ask the wife if she minds me bringing a few minis to paint ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:35:24 AM by Looshkin »
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #221 on: June 18, 2014, 07:04:56 PM »
Squad Hrist!

It is with a perverse pride that I claim conversion points for pushfits.

Five pushfits, converted (added pads for carapace armor) , painted, based, detailed (squad markings on shoulder).
One squad sergeant, converted (armor pads and splicing a SM Scout boltgun into the hands),  based, detailed (squad markings and sgt chevrons)
One heavy flamer, painted, converted, detailed, based.
Two models detailed (squad markings).

Commissar-Lord Lawfer!

Started with wanting a Lord Commissar in carapace and a power axe. I think he turned out pretty nicely. I'm particularly happy with the shading on his jacket (mostly drybrushing) and how I didn't screw up the red trim.

Converted, Painted, Based, Detailed (single wing on the inside of the greatcoat): 2+6+1+1 = 10

Total: 8 + 8 + 8 + 8 + 2 + 10 = 44pts

EDIT: Dangit, played a 2k game with the intention of taking photos and the squad never left its transport!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:35:03 PM by LoH »
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2014, 05:19:44 AM »
Finally painted some more stuff!  ;D

Broadside.  Not much to say about this - build straight from the box, painted, based and detailed (freehand tau markings and transfer on the SM shoulder pad on the base) - (1+1+1)x2=6pts

And a dragon!  I love this model so I decided I had to have it.  I'm going to field it as part of my Dark Eldar (it can be a beast from the arena) using the rules for an allied CSM Heldrake. Painted and based=7pts

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2014, 03:34:28 AM »
Well, I'm back from holiday (No painting carried out, but I did haul around my minis and paints in pointless fashion, hoping to get an opportunity for some brush on plastic action). As promised, below are some WiPs of my Wraithknight, and the finished product itself:

Put together, waiting for paint:

Base coat of bone complete, masking tape applied, base of alaitoc blue complete, with one leg washed with asurmen blue:

Base and wash complete:

Based, washed, camo applied (Kantor Blue and Teclis Blue stipple), highlights applied (Teclis up through Hoeth, then on to Hoeth + White to finish):

All the other bits, ready to go (Except the Head. Not sure where that is...):

Largely put together. Head is Flash Gitz Yellow, highlighted through White Scar, with an old fashioned Yellow Ink glaze:

All done, with a bit of stomped on rubble for the base, plus a couple of water filled Wraithknight footprints in the mud:

With his Wraith Babies:

So that was May for me. Only 1 model complete, but I'm pretty happy with it, especially when you consider it's my first real attempt at Airbrushing anything other than base coats.

May Total:
Wraithknight x 1 - Painted, Detailed, Based - (6+1+1)x2 = 16

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #224 on: June 24, 2014, 03:58:01 AM »
Looking good, Looshkin!

My personal painting death march continues. For some reason I thought it'd be a great idea to strip, convert and repaint two squads of veterans, 21 models in three batches of 7. Last batch reading for re-priming now.

They're sitting in my current tournament board mockup. Apparently a 1" holesaw works (for the most part) on foamboard if you go fast. I should've spaced the models out further, but oh well.

Every model has had pads (fashioned from cardstock) added and has been graced with its squad markings on their right shoulder pads.

Sarge got caution bars on his chainsword and chevrons on his pad. I have contemplated striping the lasgun barrels, but that might be for another time.

I have another 7 models to go, 5 of which got the conversion, 2 of which won't... and finishing 3 tanks and detail/finishing work on an Avenger.

I might have gone a bit nuts on the caution bars. It does add a nice splash of color to the model, though. I'm claiming 1 point for basing. It has a base, and basing something that big is a pain. The underbelly is sky-colored.

EDIT: I am really pleased with how the bare-headed Vet Sgt for Squad Lucian turned out, and the meltagun for that squad.

I'm also very happy with the bolt cannon on the Avenger, especially the brass.

Vehicle, converted (pinned and magnetized weapon pylons and the wings themselves), based and detailed (wingtips, all the hazard bars and flight markings).
Each model, converted+painted+based+detailed: (1+1+1+1)*19 + (1+1+1)*2 + (2+6+2+1)= 93pts.

Total so far for June: 44+82 = 137pts
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:47:02 PM by LoH »
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »
Not a bad June but slower than the last two months.  I've been getting into star wars x wing lately which his diverted some of my attention.  It's also perfect pool weather.

Infantry based, painted. = 20 points
Primaris Psyker painted and based = 7 points
Chimera painted and detailed = 8
June total = 35 points
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »
Played with the army that I had been painting the tournament. It took home a double win for overall points win and best paint. Also converted 3 Chimeras and a Russ with camo netting.

Photo evidence on the table:

Scoring: 2+2+2+2 + 5 + 5 +5 + 5 + 5 = 33pts

Total so far: 137 + 33 = 177pts
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #227 on: June 30, 2014, 03:22:55 AM »
Everyones work is looking really good and above tabletop standards. Thumbs up! Now that I have a few things outta the way, I can get back to painting. Keep them brushes going.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2014, 11:10:10 PM »
What a quiet month it has been for the painting challenge.  Hopefully everyone is busy painting though I'm guessing, since it's vacation season, this may not be the case.

I finished a squad of 10 sternguard and Captain Sicarius.  I'm running out of ultramarines to paint!  My next project is a land raider.  I just got my Forgeworld doors for it.

Sternguard based, painted, and detailed (7) = 27 points
Sicarius painted and based = 7

34 points for July
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #229 on: July 28, 2014, 02:00:17 AM »
Lovely stuff Ludo, I particularly like your Sicarius. It'd be great to see some close ups of those Sternguard if at all possible!

I'm currently overseas with work, and will be until later next month. As such, there will be no painting to be done by me  :-\

Before I left I did manage to paint a Crimson Hunter which I'm really happy with, and also a pair of Vypers. I also managed to get a game in with my Eldar, so have a few points to claim. I then switched back to my rats and banged out a further 20 clan rats. Not startling progress, but progress nevertheless.

I really hope that the inactivity on the board dies down and we get some normal service. The board problems seem to have hit the challenge particularly hard. Hopefully some of the main contributors to the challenge will return soon with a bevy of beautifully painted minis to sicken us all!

Or maybe it's just the Summer lull, exacerbated by the ridiculously fine weather folk have been having recently...

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2014, 02:51:31 AM »
Lovely stuff Ludo, I particularly like your Sicarius. It'd be great to see some close ups of those Sternguard if at all possible!

I'm currently overseas with work, and will be until later next month. As such, there will be no painting to be done by me  :-\

Before I left I did manage to paint a Crimson Hunter which I'm really happy with, and also a pair of Vypers. I also managed to get a game in with my Eldar, so have a few points to claim. I then switched back to my rats and banged out a further 20 clan rats. Not startling progress, but progress nevertheless.

I really hope that the inactivity on the board dies down and we get some normal service. The board problems seem to have hit the challenge particularly hard. Hopefully some of the main contributors to the challenge will return soon with a bevy of beautifully painted minis to sicken us all!

Or maybe it's just the Summer lull, exacerbated by the ridiculously fine weather folk have been having recently...

My output has fallen off as work became more important :D. I do have a unit of 10 Daemonettes that are mostly done, they just need to be based and I was experimenting with different bases to get the effect I wanted (standing on a pool of lava). I think I've finally found something I'm happy with, will get pics up during daytime light.

It's my Liquitex coarse texture gel natural sand medium (or the white GW texture paint, although the medium is both cheaper and better for this, apply with a flat spatula)-> Averland Sunset (large paintbrush) -> Fuegan Orange (wash) -> Bloodletter (only hit the high areas with the glaze, I used the tip of a size 2 brush) -> Liquitex Black Lava effect medium (apply with a cheap plastic paintbrush, go for a thin coat).

I also found a neat trick in this week's WD for simple glowing runes using the glazes. Lay down some white in th

2 Daemonettes complete. One has been GS'd to add some chest, both have had blood splatters added to their claws.

2 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 7pts
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:40:39 AM by LoH »
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2014, 05:15:09 AM »
Hey everyone!

Okay, now for July here is what I just finished.

All Grey Knights:
Grand Master-8
Librarian-8
Terminators-5x3=15
Purifiers-5x3=15
Razorback=8
Vindicar=8
Stormraven=8
Interceptors-17x3=51
Strike Squads-19 x3=57
Purgation-15 x3=45
Knight Errant=40

Total=263
Whew, all this in a 3 week period.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:33:02 AM by Dread »
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #232 on: July 29, 2014, 08:55:37 AM »
Dread, that's obscene!  Did you adopt some sort of speed painting technique?  It would be nice to get a closer look at some of them...

I won't be scoring any points this month.  Work is getting in the way  :(

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #233 on: July 29, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
Black primer then dry brush most colors. also had everything laid out like an assembly line. Get some close ups soon.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:14:32 PM by Dread »

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2014, 04:07:04 AM »
Dread just "chapeau bas" as we say in frznch insane ammount of work there! Did you had something like a 3 week vacation with nothing else to do to be so fast?? Oo
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2014, 05:16:51 AM »
Thanks.Well actually there was a vacation in there but it was 6 weeks ago and I didn't get to do any painting. The reason for so much was the ETL on Bolter and Chainsword. It also feels good to have a completely painted army again, my last one was about 15 years ago. Now I will move back to my Eldar. Been playing them for almost 21 years and still haven't had an all painted army on the table :(  . Time to fix that.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
« Reply #236 on: July 30, 2014, 08:15:40 AM »
Seven more Daemonettes, one more Alluress:

And a Herald to lead them

Basically had the models themselves done for the last week, just needed to get the bases done. I'm fairly pleased with how the bases turned out, definitely going to use it for other Daemons I put together.

Herald: 2+6+1 = 9pts
Daemonettes: (1 + 1 + 1) * 8 = 24 pts

EDIT:
And a very (un)lucky Ork Slugga Boy. This git was painted and submitted to an Orks on Parade painting contest at my FLGS. Got a model, had 2 hours to paint it. The judging was everyone there at the time (partially anonymized) and split into two categories, "apprentice" (aka the people who didn't feel that they were awesome at painting or well-practiced) and "journeyman" (us old salts).

He's continuing on the 101st Corkian theme I'm working on.

Painted, detailed (regiment numbers freehanded onto the choppa arm).

July so far: 7 + 24 + 9 + 3= 43pts.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2014, 10:59:48 AM by LoH »
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #237 on: August 2, 2014, 04:31:44 AM »
Nice LoH! I like the skin color. I had started mine a while back and was going with purple skin and turquoise and gold armor and pink hair. I gotta say your color combo really looks great! Nice on the ork too (old salts huh? I can dig it)

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #238 on: August 3, 2014, 12:01:17 PM »

I also two games of two games of 7th edition this weekend including my first experience with the tactical objectives card. My sternguard missed with all four combi-meltas and then died to a charge from an inquisition death star without even rolling to hit. Sicarius lost his whole squad to the same death star and was able to survive until the 8th round of assault before dying.

Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #239 on: August 3, 2014, 12:41:51 PM »
Lovely work all round...

Ludo, you may want to consider using the Tactical Doctrine when using Combi-Weapons :P But man that's bad luck (it has a 1.23% chance of happening)...
Play more games, paint more models...