News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Challenge 2014!!  (Read 35094 times)

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
Challenge 2014!!
« on: January 7, 2014, 06:37:43 AM »

WELCOME TO CHALLENGE 2014!
After the success of last years challenge I'm excited to present the challenge 2014 thread.  Last years challenge escalated to levels I could not have predicted with some amazing work from a number of regular posters and a good amount of competition.  Unfortunately real life got in the way for Oink and myself and we sadly had to bow out in August.  Thankfully the strength of contribution from others didn't falter and even grew in strength with Plastikente leading the way and ultimately finishing ahead of all others.  Congratulations.

With so many regular posters joining in on the fun last year and making such a success of it it seemed only right to carry on the hobbying shenanigans and get even more people painting even more this year!!

THE RULES:

1. Every month participants may earn points towards their total score through painting their unfinished models.  There is no need to pledge the months work beforehand. You paint what you want when you want to.

2. Semi finished models may be finished during a months work and will score you points as normal.

3. work from one month may be carried over into the following months score if it wasn't quite finished by the months end.

4. To score points for detailing you need to paint above and beyond the detail of the model.  We aren't expecting golden demon standard we just expect you to push your boundaries.  Detailing does not count for painting gems on a model or painting an embossed standard. You have to paint beyond the detail on the model to score the extra points... for example freehand, weathering or battle damage or OSL.

5. Points are available for converting.  Conversions can be as simple as head swaps or using compatible kits.  Anything as long as it isn't just built straight out of the box.

6. There will be 5 bonus points available per unit for the first time it is used in game after completion.  This is upon photo evidence of it on the table top during a game.

7. Participants are responsible for totalling their own score at the end of every month and making sure that its easily visible for me to add to your monthly scores which will be available to view in the initial post.

8. Points are not available this time around for terrain pieces.  This was a hotly debated topic last time around to which no conclusion was reached and so for fairness has been removed.

9. Due to popular demand this year sees the inclusion of super-heavy vehicles and gargantuan creatures. These can score you up to 45 points assuming you fulfill all the 15 bonus points on offer. The amount of bonus points isn't a given you dont earn all 5 for detailing by doing one bit of detailing.  The level of extra work you do decides the amount of extra points you get. 

Notes;
Infantry category includes anything not covered by other categories such as bikes.
Models on 60mm bases that fall in this category (ie; Imperial Guard Heavy Weapons Teams) earn double points, as do cavalry bikes and "monstrous" infantry models.

For 40K, Monstrous Infantry models include models on 40mm bases such as Crisis Suits, Ogryns and other similarly sized models. If in doubt, scoring will be judged by group.

Points are based on 28mm scale miniatures. Points for different scales or specials (ie Battlefleet Gothic or a 40K Titan!) will be hotly debated beforehand! Miniatures are not limited to GW.

Character scores can only be claimed on independent characters or other systems equivalent.  Characters such as unit leaders are not eligible for character points.

THE PARTICIPANTS

This will be updated as new contenders join.
-V-
StarStrider
Killing Time
Naabster
Benis
Rasmus
Shas'Oink
Gunner Sabot Tank
Dread
Ludo
Plastikente
Gunner Sabot Tank
Team Looshkin
Aurics Pride
Sparto
fejj06
Bockscars
Typhon
Sm3G

THE SCORING SYSTEM

Converting |Painting |Detailing |Basing
1.Infantry
2.Characters
3.Monstrous
4.Vehicles
-
5.Superheavy/ GC
6.Gaming+5pts the first time each painted unit is used in battle (once only)

And there folks we have ourselves a new challenge.  Sign up to it by posting and you will be added to the roster.  Looking forward to seeing all your work for 2014.  Get painting!

THE SCORES!

Jan |Feb |March |April lMay |Jun |Jul |Aug |Sep |Oct |Nov |Dec |
Aurics Pride30   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
Ludo14 16   52 131   165 35 34 50 26 52
LOH34   0   8   20   31 177 43 14   0
-V-42 76   135   72   0   0   0   0   0
Naabster26 21   0   66   0   0   0   6   0
Fejj06  6   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
Plastikente32   0   0   0   0   13   0   0   0   35
GST47 42   ?   0   0   0   0   0   0
Looshkin125 47   79   50   0   16   0   0   80   96
Rasmus76 42   92   157   0   0   0   0   0
Dread  0   7   3   0   0   0 263   10   0   128
Dawnlight Avenger  0   6   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
Oink  0   0   0   160(345)   0   0   0   0   0
Sm3G  0   0   32   37   0   0   0   0   0

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:09:50 PM by Irisado »

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
Re: Challenge 2014!!
« Reply #1 on: January 7, 2014, 06:43:29 AM »
This looks fun. And its just what I need to help push me from wanting to paint my sisters of battle to actually painting them.

I already know I won't be winning, but it sounds cool. And if I can get one unit painted up a month, that's still a win in my book.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #2 on: January 7, 2014, 08:02:57 AM »
I'm in.
But beware, if I post more than one picture it'll be a bloody miracle.

Offline Naabster

• In the grim far future there is only -green stuff-
« Reply #3 on: January 7, 2014, 08:09:51 AM »
I am in. The goal for this year.

Dont finish last  ::)

Aaaand its my 100th post! Seems fitting to sign up with it for a painting competition :)

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #4 on: January 7, 2014, 09:06:22 AM »
I need to get some painting done and this might help so I'm in! :)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2014, 09:21:36 AM »
I might as well do this thing. I am planning to do another 1k of Squats once I am done with the Heroquest-stuff I have lined up now. Pictures are fun.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #6 on: January 7, 2014, 12:09:06 PM »
Okay -V-, I'm not gonna let you get the better of me this time round... (again). I hope to be able to dedicate a bit more time now towards hobbying and am picking up various commissions qhich should see me be able to bank a small amount... as well as all of my own models that need painting!!!

PS. I'm not dead! (yet) yay!

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #7 on: January 7, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »
Been participating for the last few months, no reason to quit now, lol.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #8 on: January 7, 2014, 01:49:10 PM »
Count me in. Now just have to sit and paint.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #9 on: January 8, 2014, 12:48:16 AM »
I'm not already in the participation list?  I'm hurt.  I'm in this year.  The Valkyrie I got for Christmas is already coming along nicely.

Are the totals for the 2013 challenge posted anywhere?

I also have a scoring question.  Why can't vehicles get points for basing?  Flyers and skimmers all come with them and are required to be painted according to the warhammer world rules.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2014, 12:59:17 AM by Ludo »
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #10 on: January 8, 2014, 06:25:43 AM »
Aha just because you participated last year doesn't make you an auto include.  As the rules state I need you to post here first to be included rather than me just assume you're in.  I still have yet to hear from Plastikente and others from last time.

Good question Ludo and I see where you are coming from.  The majority of vehicles I can think of are not flyer base mounted.  Of course there are exceptions.  However why should something like a waveserpent score more than something like a landraider just because it has a base?  More often than not I see flyer bases that are either just sprayed black, or have the minimum requirement of painted sand.  Plus this may unfairly benefit someone due to army choice.

By all means if you want to push the boat out and do more of a scenic base like I do on mine and ask your peers if its worthy of an additional point or 2 then feel free but there is no automatic score for basing flyers as such.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #11 on: January 8, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »
I'm in!  And while I'm here, I'll claim some points:

Painted, based and detailed (freehand harlequin diamonds on his ribbons and shoulders) = 3pts to start the year off.
It is probably also worth stating that last year we decided the "character" for scoring really means "Independent Character", so this model scores as infantry, as do any other sergeant-type unit upgrades.

Also, on the subject of detailing, the use of transfers also qualified for detailing points last year.  I for one would be happy to see that ruling continue.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #12 on: January 8, 2014, 12:50:50 PM »
It is probably also worth stating that last year we decided the "character" for scoring really means "Independent Character", so this model scores as infantry, as do any other sergeant-type unit upgrades.

Yes.  Due to the recent change in definition of character we too decided it appropriate to clarify. 

Also, on the subject of detailing, the use of transfers also qualified for detailing points last year.  I for one would be happy to see that ruling continue.

Also yes.  Anything beyond painting the model is detailing.

Good to see you signing up for another round.

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
« Reply #13 on: January 8, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »
I think that base works fantastically with the really simple (almost) two-tone scheme you used on that model. That was a neat idea.

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #14 on: January 8, 2014, 02:08:19 PM »

Yes.  Due to the recent change in definition of character we too decided it appropriate to clarify. 

Can we amend the initial post to reflect this? I never realized we'd made this change and have been scoring IG Sgts and Officers as characters.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Hades Hound

• Who needs food when you have miniatures?
« Reply #15 on: January 8, 2014, 04:01:49 PM »
With the way my schedule will be this year, I will have absolutely no chance. I'll keep plugging away at my own slow pace, but I look forward to seeing everyone's stellar work throughout the year. Make it a good one, gang.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #16 on: January 8, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »
Hey Hades, just because you may not be able to pull in aas many painted models as Plastikente doesn't mean you can't take part. You do not need to use the challenge to try to beat other painters, you can use it as a way to track and encourage your own progress (however slow) throughout the year. One good trick is to use the challenge to challenge yourself... such as by trying to score as many (or more) points as you did in the previous month... or decide to try and spend some time basing those models you never got around to doing...

Offline Naabster

• In the grim far future there is only -green stuff-
« Reply #17 on: January 8, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »
Girlfriend is out of town for a couple of days and since i sit all day at a desk writing, i can as well sit at home and paints some models..  ;D

Anyways here are my first points for the Challenge 2014

3 Human Blood Bowl lineman
Painted, detailed, based and one is converted (look at helmet of the left one.. it looks better from the side... i glued on some greenstuff to make it look like he has horse hair on the helmet)  Anyways

10 Points for Naabster

Sorry about the bad picture quality but thats all my Iphone can manage with this light... My girl took the good camera so my next pics will be with a better quality...

[smg id=4816]
« Last Edit: January 8, 2014, 04:50:39 PM by Naabster »

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #18 on: January 9, 2014, 12:10:42 PM »
I think that base works fantastically with the really simple (almost) two-tone scheme you used on that model. That was a neat idea.

Thanks  :)  The rest of my harlequins have a a rainbow theme over a black and white suit.  I knew I wanted the Shadowseer to be grey, but wanted some colour to tie him in as well.  I thought about painting all of his gems in rainbow colours, but I felt that would detract from the understated tones of the rest of the paint scheme. Then I had the idea of painting the base and gave it a light dusting of snow flock to tone it down a bit (and match the rest of my winter bases).  I like to think that it represents his psychic powers and/or halucinogen grenades.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 07:18:45 AM »
I'd like to take part in this, my stuff certainly won't be of the painting level of some of the guys that did it last year but anything to help my motivation to paint and to make me push my boundaries a bit would be great.
My Eldar and Inquisition have a lot that needs painting!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here