News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Army Selection Advice?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
New Army Selection Advice?
« on: March 21, 2018, 04:48:20 AM »
So I'm looking at grabbing a new army, but am generally unaware of how the game plays these days.

My ultimate concern is going to be the models, since I'll spend most of my time just painting. However, I like several (most) of the ranges, so that doesn't rule out much.

What I'm looking for I guess is either something that has units that can drop in aggressively and charge or shoot for very high damage when they arrive. Alternately, if there's actually an army out there that's somehow very good at preventing it's opponent from doing this I'd be very interested in them as well.

Any thoughts on what lists fit in? Or does everyone sort of fit in that these days?

I remember having stuff drop out of the warp or sky back in the day, and was always horrible at handling it. I'd like to be on the other side of the coin for a change, and be able to easily play proactively rather than reactively.

And two side questions:
1) I've heard necrons really struggle with tough units (land raiders, Knights, etc). Is that true, or just sort of a rumor?

2) can you effectively play tau without many of the big suits and rip tides? I sort of really like fire warriors, and the design of the tau tanks, but it am not a fan of the suit models at all. I could take a few for the sake of a list, but if lots are needed to be competitive that would probably be enough to drive me away.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:49:55 AM by Temperance »

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: New Army Selection Advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 05:05:34 AM »
Most factions have some units that can come in as reinforcements. Tau are pretty noteworthy for having deep striking units in the form of battlesuits. Other groups with a big emphasis on reserves include Imperial Guard Tempestus Scions (once known as stormtroopers), Grey Knights, and Genestealer Cults. There are many more I haven't thought of.

Necrons currently struggle with just about everything, due to being on Index rules (for the next month or so, at least) and not having particularly good index rules.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 07:07:09 AM »
Hey Temperance. Yeah the new Tau codex really favors an infantry heavy army. Long Strike is freaking amazing and the Hammerheads are OK if you give them seeker missiles. I think the new Tau codex is very very strong especially with a battalion/brigade style force with lots of Fire Warriors. Maybe even throw in there awesome fortification.

For a fast hard hitting army though.... I'd really give Dark Eldar a chance. The Codex is coming out soon but even with the index they are really good and about to get a whole lot better. They got very good melee, deepstrike options and tons and tons of dakka. They also get anti-tank and anti-infantry in there most basic troop: Dark Eldar warriors. 5 men in a Venom with a blaster is a crazy amount of firepower especially when you have a battalion worth of them. Their legendary fragility is also vastly mitigated this edition. The Raider with a Dark Lance is one of the best transports in the game. Also units like Incubi are just NASTY. Their flyers are also awesome.

Also all the models are very new and all look gorgeous. I'm a big fan of DE and really recommend them for someone interested in a quick hard hitting army.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 04:57:22 PM »
What I'm looking for I guess is either something that has units that can drop in aggressively and charge...
You, my friend, just describedd Blood Angels to a T. They have strong assault units in the Sanguinary Guard and Death Company, and many buffs and stratagems that help them ensure their charges off the deep strike.

Alternately, if there's actually an army out there that's somehow very good at preventing it's opponent from doing this I'd be very interested in them as well.
There is the catch for wanting an army to deep strike and charge is that it is easily prevented.  Any Space Marine army is able to deploy scouts in such a way as to deny the entire middle of the board to deep striking units for less than 170pts while also taking up the minimum troop requirements for a Battalion.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 07:33:38 PM »
If you are in it for fun, then just go with the models you like the look of and/or enjoy the background fluff for. The game changes frequently and as such the "top tier armies" get swapped around a fair bit over time. The fluff and great models is what will keep you in the hobby. The people who have been around a long time eventually end up collecting another army along they way :)

If you have lots of money and just want to win, then buy the army with the newest codex (Tau), you'll be king of the hill for a while. This is a mix of both GW over powering units to sell models and because the latest codex changes the meta and forces other armies to adapt.

Necron codex is about to drop, so while they do struggle against high T units at the moemnt, that might change shortly.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:12:37 AM by magenb »