News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Metal vs Finecast  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Gal'rgae Neverborne

• Armies: Eldar, Deathwing, Daemons
Metal vs Finecast
« on: March 19, 2018, 04:23:07 PM »
Hi,

I've seen metal models go on ebay for 1.5x 2.5x what a finecast one costs new.

Are the metal GW models better than their fine cast ones?

G

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Re: Metal vs Finecast
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 04:51:30 PM »
It depends on how you define "better".

Metal has one really big disadvantage to it: metal models are heavy (which makes even small impact rather damaging), and primer doesn't adhere to metal particularly well - and the combination of those two factors makes them very prone to paint chipping. While in order to chip paint on a plastic or properly primed resin model you at least have to drop it down from a table to a hard floor, a metal model can get chipped by simply tripping over and falling onto its side on a piece of terrain. So, if you value your paint job, I'd recommend to stay away from metal regardless of any other factors.

Finecast resin however is worse than metal in just about every other regard. It has become known as "Failcast" for a reason... It is usually full of bubbles, which often ruin small detais. All long thin parts are usually warped and are hard to straighten out. And most models are literally covered in excess resin formed in vents, which makes cleaning the model up a nightmare.

So, basically, GW resin is seriously hard to get right. However, once you get through it, your paint job will last longer on it than on metal. It's up to you to decide what is more valuable to you :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 06:13:16 PM »
Metal models also tend to be out of print, and as used models go are pretty easy to strip since you can use just bust out a strong solvent and a toothbrush on em. This causes demand for them to be relatively high.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 06:33:29 PM »
I seek them out simply because I like the heavy weight and long skinny parts won't warp on their own.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »
I will say, I've never had an issue with the finecast kits. Also, it's a lot easier to fix and convert resin than metal.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 06:48:47 AM »
Finecast is not bad on most models. Especially the Space Marine range. You'd hardly know the difference.

But for Eldar and SPECIFICALLY Dark Eldar it can be a nightmare. I simply wont buy Dark Eldar stuff in finecast. The fine details just dissolve into nothingness, huge air bubbles etc.

But for the bigger chunkier stuff it tends to be fine.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08:11 AM »
It really does depend on what you mean by better.  Could you be more specific?  Do you mean in terms of painting or do mean more generally?

If you mean in terms of quality, metal models are far superior to finecast, in that they do not suffer from the warping, bubbles, and loss of detail issues which afflict finecast models.  I remember seeing finecast models in GW stores when they came out and I couldn't believe the number of bubbles on them, while the number of warped and twisted parts was also alarming from my point of view.  What I've seen of them since has done nothing to change my opinion.  I refuse to ever purchase finecast models on that basis.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:10:04 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
I have a spiritseer I've yet to paint since it's release because the staff won't stay straight. When I get to him after all of my new stuff is assembled I'll probably replace the shaft with some brass rod.

Edit: as above it depends on the model. Metal has it's fair share of miscasting that is very hard to fix.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:56:51 AM by Partninja »

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 08:19:45 AM »
Metal models feel better than resin models.  I like the weight of a metal model when I pick it up or move it on a table.  It's not the same with a resin model; it feels cheap.

As mentioned above, metal models are very easy to strip.  I once bought a bunch of metal aspect warriors on ebay.  These models had a terrible paint job, but I was easily able to strip them using paint stripper that I found in my Dad's workshop.  This stuff reduced the plastic bases to liquid within a few minutes, but it didn't harm the metal models in the slightest. 

With resin models, one would have to rely on the techniques for stripping plastic, and these are hit and miss in my opinion.  That reduces the resale value.

There's an irony to "fine" cast models that one youtuber mentioned once.  White metal models were originally introduced to replace lead models as the latter is toxic.  The resin used for finecast is actually, so I'm told, toxic if inhaled.  Hmmm....  ;D

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #9 on: April 1, 2018, 08:07:44 PM »
Metal models feel better than resin models.  I like the weight of a metal model when I pick it up or move it on a table.  It's not the same with a resin model; it feels cheap.

As mentioned above, metal models are very easy to strip.  I once bought a bunch of metal aspect warriors on ebay.  These models had a terrible paint job, but I was easily able to strip them using paint stripper that I found in my Dad's workshop.  This stuff reduced the plastic bases to liquid within a few minutes, but it didn't harm the metal models in the slightest. 

With resin models, one would have to rely on the techniques for stripping plastic, and these are hit and miss in my opinion.  That reduces the resale value.

There's an irony to "fine" cast models that one youtuber mentioned once.  White metal models were originally introduced to replace lead models as the latter is toxic.  The resin used for finecast is actually, so I'm told, toxic if inhaled.  Hmmm....  ;D

When filing and trimming down plastic, you should probably wear a mask, but when filing and trimming resin you should DEFINITELY wear a mask.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #10 on: April 7, 2018, 05:41:06 AM »

When filing and trimming down plastic, you should probably wear a mask, but when filing and trimming resin you should DEFINITELY wear a mask.

Indeed.  This is a good time to add that I used to chew green stuff when it was difficult to get it to mix properly.  At 31 years old, I've finally learned that's unwise  ???