News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rules for a Necromunda Campaign  (Read 124999 times)

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
Re: Rules for a Necromunda Campaign
« Reply #180 on: May 27, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
He has...... a chainsaw  :o . they just dont make them like they used to do they ;D ?
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline Kardikus

• Armies: Chaos Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Space Wolves
« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2012, 03:40:47 AM »
yeah i remember those days when you used to get 4 metal miniatures to a blister pack and they would be about 5 pounds in the UK just the same amount of cash i got for pocket money incidentally. Oh my wasted childhood this has really brought back some good memories and also reminded me of not long ago i was desperately hunting for the orlock with autogun and stubber model on ebay and kept losing then when i was home on leave my mum said there was a box in the garage full of my old stuff and asked if it was to be kept or thrown away so i went and checked it out and lo and behold there was the modal i was searching for with hardly any paint on. My old gang was amongst it as well but my paintin in those days wasn't the best so haven't used them there was a ratskin and scum unpainted which i have used to great effect.

looking good on the gang front your leader is turning into a combat monster if you can get a couple more combat skills, if you get combat master then he will be awesome against the Goliaths who have the numbers advantage. I think allot of people will be saying noooo why did he go for attacks on his leader well i for one agree with your decision as now you can go toe to toe with the other combat beasts of the Goliath and Escher leaders and as they the gangs that u will be playing most of the time i think u did good and you can always get leadership next time then you will be unstoppable.
Hit em hard and when they down hit em again to make sure they stay down

Offline Underhand

• Captain : Godfather of the Hivegangers
« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »
That's as good as Abraham is going to get - he's hit the 400 experience point cap, so there will be no further advances.   I know 'that I'm going to regret not taking that extra leadership point at some stage.

In case anyone was wondering, with equipment, he's worth 605 creds.

Offline Kardikus

« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2012, 05:20:32 PM »
Oooooh that is a little bit of a kick in the nuts well i think it wud be hard to choose but i suppose Ld 8 with reroll is pretty good and its not like it will be easy to take ur leader down so you will get that pretty much all the time so maybe the extra attack will be a good choice well hopefully will see in your next installment of the campaign.

Offline Underhand

« Reply #184 on: May 31, 2012, 12:35:18 PM »
I'd just like to send out a thank you to everyone who has been following this campaign and everyone who has posted on this thread.

When I started the campaign, I didn't think it would run as long as it has, and I definitely didn't think I would end up writing more than 60,000 words about it on the internet.

Anyway, I'm off to the US for a few weeks, so there probably aren't going to be any updates until late June.

Offline SnipingSnowman

• If this were a contest for rolling ones..
« Reply #185 on: May 31, 2012, 02:45:25 PM »
I'd just like to send out a thank you to everyone who has been following this campaign and everyone who has posted on this thread.

You're welcome, this is probably the most entertaining thread on 40ko that I've ever come across!

Anyway, I'm off to the US for a few weeks, so there probably aren't going to be any updates until late June.

Have fun, you will be sorely missed!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:47:02 PM by SnipingSnowman »
~Ss

Offline skoops6

« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »

You're welcome, this is probably the most entertaining thread on 40ko that I've ever come across!

Seconded. even threads specificly designed to be amusing don't even come close to this. I applaude you sir, you have done a great job so far. have fun in america!
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline Toad_Raider

• Warrior | Honk If You Like Zombies | Bow Ties Are Never Cool
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Zombies are people too!
« Reply #187 on: May 31, 2012, 10:18:10 PM »

Seconded. even threads specificly designed to be amusing don't even come close to this. I applaude you sir, you have done a great job so far. have fun in america!

Thirded! Very amusing thread, I've derived great amounts of pleasure out of your updates, and your tales of woe and success from battle to battle. Enjoy your trip!
...a spiffified whizz-bang unit of Much Destruction that'll get whored like crazy in WD and kill a million Monoliths in the release batrep
Lomendil's pick for the new DE dex. Not quite, but we have a 'dex now!

Well played, TW.  By well played, I of course mean god damn your traitorous ways.

Do love Diplomacy!

Offline Perigrine

« Reply #188 on: June 2, 2012, 07:34:26 AM »
Must agree this thread is by far the biggest reason I check up on these forums. Enjoy your trip and waiting to hear more of the downfall of joffrey when you return.

Offline skoops6

« Reply #189 on: June 5, 2012, 07:27:08 AM »
I have no paticence whatsoever, so I'm gonna read the thread again. yes, all 10 pages :P

Offline timdp

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »
Absolutely epic thread. Thanks much for all of the 60K plus words!

Just getting back into 40K after long layoff and played a Necromunda game at a local con which led to pulling out all of my old Necromunda stuff and starting to build a new Escher gang...

Offline Mushkilla

« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »
Most entertaining 40k/Gameworkshop related thread of all time in my books! Over 60 000 words?!? You just keep giving! Are you sure you are a lawyer?  ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:52:44 PM by Mushkilla »

Offline Underhand

« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2012, 08:39:10 AM »
And I'm back.  Thank you everyone for the kind words.   America was nice.  The scorpions were not.

Campaign Turn 12

The Map:

Cawdor:  The Hand of Redemption - Underhand
Escher:  Gothika - Joffrey       
Delaque:  Black Coats - Gannicus
Van Saar:  The Second Stringers - Jonah
Orlock:  The Mortlock Cartel  - The Orlock Player
Goliath:  House Bloodaxe - Octavian

As the map stands at turn 12, I'm pretty happy with my position.  I have decent territories, my gang is getting tougher every turn, I have a useful ally in Gannicus, cordial relations with Jonah, and my enemies are in disarray - the Orlocks are about to be wiped out, the Escher should follow soon thereafter, and the Goliaths are currently distracted.  I judge the campaign to be at it's mid point and the way things are going, I should be well placed by the time the end game starts in a few turns time.

The way I see things happening is that the Orlock Player will get squashed this turn, Gannicus and I will crush Joffrey over the next two or three turns, and then Jonah, Gannicus and I will all take Octavian down piece by piece.  Even though Octavian has an impressive empire and a large Gang, he won't be able to withstand fighting against 3opponents each turn.  Even without ganging up, Octavian will be suffering 3 or 4 games worth of casualties each turn and will only have a single turn's worth of income with which to replace them.  Even with the extra experience his gang will get from playing so many games, he simply won't be able to make up the losses he will suffer.  Fresh Goliath Juves with Access to Combat and Muscle skills are no replacement for dead gangers with 200 exp and extra Agility skills and multiple wounds.  His fall will happen faster than most would expect.

It should be straight forward.  All that has to happen is for Gannicus, Jonah and I to stick together, and it will be easy.  The only potential problem is that stupid Spore Cave that the Orlock Player is clinging onto.

This is the problem - Jonah despises the Orlock Player and wants to rub him out of the campaign.  The quickest way to do that is to attack the Spore Cave and crush the Orlock Player once and for all.

The difficulty (for me) is that if Jonah takes the Spore Cave, then  Gannicus has a much narrower line of attack through to the Goliath territories - one that would probably end up cramping my own line of approach against the Goliaths in a few turns time.

So - Gannicus has to take the Spore Cave.  Which is fine by him, because he wants to take the Spore Cave, which is a valuable territory.  Unfortunately attacking the Spore Cave this turn will give Joffrey an extra turn of breathing space, during which Shamora could increase her Leadership back up to 8, and if that happens then Joffrey is right back in business.  Wiping Joffrey off the map is therefore a much higher priority than taking that Spore Cave, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Getting Gannicus to understand the importance of destroying Joffrey is hard enough on its own (he has an amazing ability to forget how Joffrey was kicking his arse only a few turns ago), but every turn that the Orlock Player stays in the game is an extra turn that Jonah gets more and more pissed off at having to see his face and put up with getting called a fat be-atch by the little prick.

There is also the added pressure that Octavian will probably target the Spore Cave this turn, and if he does that, then he will probably take it, and then I'll have to somehow have to provide some sort of an explanation to Jonah that allowing Octavian his next opponent to take a Spore Cave right out from under our noses is somehow the best outcome for him.  I get paid to make the bad look good, but that will be a very hard sell.

My predictions for turn 12 were as follows:

1.  I would take out Joffrey's Old Ruins to the East;
2.  Gannicus would take out Joffrey's Friendly Doc;
3.  Joffrey would attack Gannicus's Holestead.  He can't sit out another turn - if he loses a territory to both me and Gannicus, then he's only got an Old Ruins left, and he'd need a miracle to come back from that;
4.  Joffrey could even be wiped off the map.  My Gang has his measure, and if he attacked the Delaque, then Gannicus would get two cracks at him and could potentially take both territories, bundling Joffrey out of the campaign.  Unlikely of course - Joffrey wouldn't have been sitting idle during his recent problems - he will have a plan;
5.  Jonah would target one of Octavian's Eastern territories, probably the Mine Workings;
6.  The Orlock Player would attack Joffrey's Gambling Den.  With dwindling numbers and no Heavy Stubber, he simply can't rely on his castling tactics.  His only chance is to pick special scenario's like Shoot Out or Raid which cut down on the numbers advantage that the Goliaths have.  He could also attack Jonah, but I think he's had enough of that for a while, and the Goliath Gambling Den is a much more tempting target than the Van Saar Workshop or Settlement.  Either way he is still very unlikely to win.  Ever since he broke his Alliance with Joffrey and turned to attack the Van Saar, his gang has become weaker and weaker each turn while the Van Saar and Goliaths have both grown from strength to strength.
7.  Octavian would target the Orlock Spore Cave and wipe the Orlocks off the map;

I was wrong.

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #193 on: July 1, 2012, 04:00:13 AM »
OH DAMN YOU TEASE!

welcome back

Offline cardassian

« Reply #194 on: July 4, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »
Awesome thread!
Found it last night and have read it all now.
Please update it soon.
Has been great to learn some of the ins and outs of necromunda and your writing style is great.

Offline Toad_Raider

• Warrior | Honk If You Like Zombies | Bow Ties Are Never Cool
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Zombies are people too!
« Reply #195 on: July 4, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
I was wrong.

Cliffhanger ending argh! Update again man, the suspense is bad for my health  :P
...a spiffified whizz-bang unit of Much Destruction that'll get whored like crazy in WD and kill a million Monoliths in the release batrep
Lomendil's pick for the new DE dex. Not quite, but we have a 'dex now!

Well played, TW.  By well played, I of course mean god damn your traitorous ways.

Do love Diplomacy!

Offline Underhand

« Reply #196 on: July 5, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »
I drew the attacks out of the hat:

I attacked Joffrey's Old Ruins to the west.

Joffrey attacked Gannicus's Holestead.  No surprises there.

Gannicus attacked Joffrey's Friendly Doc.

Gannicus:   My guys are going to be playing doctors and nurses with your friendly Doc after this round.
Joffrey:   So, what are you saying?  Your guys are going to dress up like nurses?
Gannicus: . . . No . . .there are male nurses . . .beslubber you!
Joffrey:  You'll wish you had a Friendly Doc after this round.

Then it got weird.

I thought Octavian would attack the Orlock Player's Spore Cave.  I thought that because:

1.  a Spore Cave is one of the most profitable territories in the game, and arguably the best overall;
2.  Octavian has been bashing the hell out of the Orlock Player for the last few rounds, and wants him out of the campaign, so it would just be a continuation of what he has been doing so far;
3.  It would deny the territory to either Jonah or Gannicus, both of wom it is pretty obvious that he is going to be fighting against soon.

I was wrong.  Octavian attacked my Vents (the ones closer to the middle of the map) via my old Slag.  That surprised the hell out of me.  Why would he take his foot off the Orlock Player's throat?  Why ould he give up the opportunity to capture a Spore Cave and go after some Vents instead?  Vents are a decent territory due to the tactical advantage they give (infiltrate 3 guys above ground level at the end of your first turn), but they don't compare to the advantage given by the income from a Spore Cave.  Maybe he was trying to help Joffrey?  But if so, why wouldn't Joffrey help him double team me?  Strange.

Gannicus:   Why the beslubber did you do that?
Octavian:   I got bored fighting Orlocks, and I've got plenty of income and I thought that Jonah could take him out anyway, so I thought I'd let him have it. [This was much more statesmanlike than is normal for Octavian, whose ruthless, grasping ambition is his defining personality trait].
Jonah:  Very generous of you. [addressed to Joffrey, but said while staring at me].
Octavian:  Think nothing of it.  Good luck. 
Underhand:  Your funeral.
Octavian:   We'll see.

In accordance with my pursuasion, Jonah attacked Octavian's Mine Workings via his Tunnels.

Underhand:   Jonah is attacking Octavian's Mine Workings via his Tunnels.
Octavian:    Really?
Jonah:  Yes. [looking at me again].  I didn't know that the Spore Cave would be left unmolested this turn.
Octavian:  That's okay man, we're all here to win.  Do what you have to do.
Jonah:  Oh, I will. [regarding me with cold eyes, the knuckles of his clenched fists turning white].

That just left the Orlock Player.  Given that he is involved in a two simultaneous blood feuds with both Jonah and Octavian, I assumed that he would attack either one of them.  Attacking Octavian's Gambling Den, would probably be the smartest (and I figured most likely) move, since even in his weakened state, holding 2  2D6x10 territories would give him a very decent income base to start rebuilding. 

Alternatively, given that in a few turns, Gannicus would be looking for a new enemy, it might make sense to get out of his way and hope that he got into a war with Octavian.  If that was the his decision, then striking out to the east against Jonah might let him live longer if he could manage some sort of general eastward migration. 

Attacking Gannicus to the north would obviously be stupid, since Gannicus's Gang is quite tough these days, and Gannicus is a far superior player.  But on the other hand, he had suffered amphetamine parrot kicking after amphetamine parrotkicking at the hands of both Octavian and Jonah in recent times, so maybe he felt like having his arse handed to him by someone new.  I still didn't think it likely.

I figured he would attcak the Goliath Gambling Den to the South.  It's what I would have done.  But the Orlock Player is not me.

He attacked Joffrey's Friendly Doc.

Gannicus:   HAHAHAHAHA!
Underhand:   HAHAHAHAHA!
Joffrey:  Seriously?
[I showed him the slip of paper.  He read it and let it drop from his fingers in disgust]
Orlock Player:  [standing there like he's Michael Corleone, and he's just ruthlessly and cold heartedly ordered a hit on a trusted ally] Sorry dude, but I gotta do what I gotta do. Law of the Jungle.
Joffrey:  You're a beslubbering idiot.

A beslubbering idiot is right.  And in so many ways.   

With his empire crumbling around him, his sworn enemies, the Van Saar and the Goliaths closing in on him and the Delaques eyeing his Spore Cave hungrily, where does he decide to counterattack?  Right at the one person left in the campaign who can tolerate his presence and who has offered him support and even physical backup in the past.

Apparently he'd been listening to me and Gannicus gloating over Joffrey's problems with his leader's leadership and figured that if we were having such an easy time of walking over him, then there was no reason why he shouldn't too.  Sound logic, except in two respects: 

1.  Gannicus and I are of similar skill to Joffrey, so while Shamora's low leadership is a gamebreaker against us, it's not an insurmountable hurdle against a less experienced player, particularly an uninventive, passive one like the Orlock Player;
2.  Gannicus and I now have pretty tough Gangs.  Our Gang ratings have continued to climb in recent times, while Joffrey's has started to slip as casualties have mounted up.  The Orlock Player also has a pretty crappy gang these days.  He even lost his Heavy Stubber last turn.  beslubber knows what that will do to his game plan.

So instead of perhaps doing something sensible like reaching out to Joffrey and maybe trying to double team Gannicus, which Joffrey probably would have accepted in a heartbeat, he went and attacked him, thereby severing the closest thing to a positive relationship he had left with another faction in the campaign.

What a douchebag.

Offline cardassian

« Reply #197 on: July 6, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »
Guy sounds like a real Douche.
Hope he gets smashed (even by Joffrey).
Although it sounds like he is a terrible tactician.

On a different note I am about to start my first necromunda campaign soon (have 4-5 players) and are really interested in the idea of using a map as you have here. I was wondering if to make this work do we need to do the double round as you are here (with everyone getting to have an attack each round) and if there is anything in the way you have run this campaign that you would not recommend doing in mine. 2 of the players will be experienced 40k players and nobody is experienced in necromunda.

Sorry about this reply being all over the place but it's saturday and I'm quite hungover.

Offline Underhand

« Reply #198 on: July 7, 2012, 12:57:58 AM »
The one change I would definitely make to the campaign if I were starting again would be to play with the Community Edition Rules.  They are superior in every sense, and I honestly don't understand why GW don't just adopt them.  I originally went with the standard rules, because Gannicus, Joffrey and I all owned a copy, and together with the store copy we were able to lend them to the newer players to let them get up to speed more quickly.  I also have an innate bias for doing things the official way.

Given that (I think) the hardcover rulebook is no longer available for purchase, I would recommend just printing off the Community Edition Rules and using those.  They are very much the same rules, with some slight but sensible tweaks to ammend some of the weaker rules and balance out the gangs.

As regards the 'double round': 

It's not really a 'double round' as such.  Although usually everyone will fight twice per round (once as attacker and once as Defender), it doesn't always end up that way.  This turn for instance I am fighting twice (attacking Joffrey and Defending against Octavian), Gannicus is fighting twice (attacking Joffrey and defending against Joffrey), Octavian is fighting twice (attacking me and Defending against Jonah), The Orlock Player is fighting once (attacking Joffrey), Jonah is fighting once (attacking Octavian) and Joffrey is fighting 3 times (attacking Gannicus, defending against Gannicus and the Orlock Player in a 3-way, and defending against me alone). 

Currently in the campaign, I have played the most games, with (I think) Octavian second, though Joffrey will soon eclipse him.  Jonah has played the fewest number of games because for a long time no one was attacking him.

As we currently have it, everyone gets a round of income every campaign turn regardless of how many times they fight.  This can be very hard on a gang that has to fight multiple times per campaign turn, as they will be taking more casualties per round of income than the standard rules are designed for.   I would say that one of the things that has characterised this campaign is the relatively meagre equipment compared to the base skills and statistics of the gangers.  Abraham for example is maxed out stats wise, but until last round still only had a bolt pistol and a chainsword.  Normally a Gang Leader of Abraham's stature would be armed with a powersword, a plasma pistol, some grenades, some kind of armour and at least one or two other cool little gadgets from the trading post.  The other Gang Leaders are all much better equipped than Abraham, but not by much.

The lower than usual level of income per turn has sucked at times, but if we used the normal rules that give a turn of income to a gang after every fight, then some gangs would shoot ahead of others both in terms of experience and equipment - being attacked on multiple fronts would be bonus rather than a burden.  I prefer it the way that we are doing it, where a gang that is attacked by multiple opponents will feel the extra strain.  It adds a strategic element that I enjoy.  This campaign isn't just being played on the tabletop, it's being played in between games in private conversation between the players, via sms and through email.

Having said all that - given that players will on average be playing 2 games per turn, it could be a good idea to give each gang double their profits of their income each turn.  That would be of particular benefit for new players and would allow them to compensate for any mistakes they might make.

Offline Kardikus

« Reply #199 on: July 8, 2012, 06:09:05 AM »
Yeah i think for simplicity's sake that just doubling the income will be more beneficial but only if they play more than one game per turn as you will get players only playing the one game and earning more than they should in a turn. Otherwise great to see you back and although your plans have been upset just remember this People are stupid and do stupid things so when you plan make sure u plan for peoples stupidity as-well. This has helped me more times than i remember as i played 40k and Necromunda for a number of years. Just need to try and find a gaming group near me now willing to play necromunda anyone near Kinloss in Scotland give me a bell lol.