News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar update - one month in  (Read 2652 times)

Offline returnofirv

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Eldar update - one month in
« on: August 30, 2016, 11:31:46 AM »
Since my first post Ive played probably 10 games or so at 500, 600 and 750pts (and kill team) against Marines and Necrons and my reaction is: wow. Apart from when i got drop-podded to death, I havent lost a game or even come close to a draw - it has been utter annihilation, even to the point of winning on objectives as there was no opponent minis on the table. This is great but also a bit embarrassing as i can hear the groans of 'cheesy eldar'.

My army now stands at 1000pts and has a Farseer and 3 warlocks so i get plenty of dice in the psychic phase. I tend to put guide on one unit of bikes and prescience on the Farseer's unit and shot everything up and run for cover as fast as I can. The fire prism stays at the back and shoots vehicles up drawing fire while the bikes do their thing:

HQ
Farseer Skyrunner (spear, spirit stone)

TROOPS
4 windriders (scatters)
4 windriders (scatters) & warlock
4 windriders (scatters) & warlock
3 windriders (scatters) & warlock

HS
Prism (holos)
Prism (holos)

Assuming I can still get people to play me, Im looking to 1250 next and thinking of maybe getting a wraithknight with suncannon & scatters as i love the model BUT im wondering whether it will fit with the mobile nature of my army - he is a big target, but then again he might divert attention from my bikes. Maybe flyers instead?

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Eldar update - one month in
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 11:54:06 AM »
My suggestion is that if you're concerned that people may not want to play against you, adding a Wraithknight at such a low points level will only make that potential problem more likely to occur.  As a result, I'd recommend somewhat friendlier and more mobile options of some kind, but I'll leave others to recommend specific options, as I've never used any flyers.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2016, 08:22:54 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline returnofirv

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »
haha yes, i have a 1k list with the WK squeezed in, but would never dare play it

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:18:54 PM »
Not gonna lie running that many Scatbikes at that sort of points level you aren't gonna make any friends, let alone adding in a Wraithknight.
I used 3 units of 3 Scat bikes in my Corsair list and to be honest it got boring quite quickly for the reason that you've stated, games just weren't even close. Add in my Lynx and a pair of Hornets and it soon became an army that would just bowl over most others.
With all of the great options in the Eldar book there really isn't any reason to need to spam certain units unless you are planning on entering competitive tournaments.

Taking your 1k list as a base I'd say that you need some more anti-tank, Scat bikes are great at taking out low to medium armour stuff but if you come up against AV13/AV14 stuff then you could be struggling. The addition of a Crimson Hunter Exarch will make a big difference while still keeping with the mobile nature of the army. The Crimson Hunter adds in a pretty healthy amount of firepower and with the Vector Dancer rule is incredibly mobile. I always take the Exarch upgrade as the extra BS really can make a big difference.
You could also look at adding something like Dire Avengers in a Wave Serpent if your local Meta doesn't involve a huge amount of heavy armour. They can put out a lot of damage and the Wave Serpent will be able to keep them alive long enough to deliver that nasty Shuriken death!

If you want to go really mobile and aren't worried about "power gaming" then I'd seriously look at Swooping Hawks, they aren't the most powerful of units but they are very fun to use and can really confuse an enemy!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline returnofirv

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 12:28:15 PM »
Hi - yes, i only really have the prisms for anti-tank. I played against my friend's marine tank formation with triple whirlwinds, predator and vindicator and THAT was a tough list to take down, esp. as he had a techmarine who could repair vehicles.

But yes, I want to keep with a mobile theme with the army.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 02:58:20 AM »
Vypers are another option.
They suit the mobile theme very well, can be kitted out with bright lances for anti tank duties, and will unlock the Windrider Battlehost, giving you a lot more flexibility for different lists as you expand your collection.
They are not bad untis, but not as powerful as jetbikes or even crimson hunters, so would also help to tone down your list a bit for casual play if required.

The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline returnofirv

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »
I could fit two crimson hunters in to 1250 if i dropped two of the jetbikes.

I like the Vyper models but with one Crimson Hunter i could only squeeze 2 in and it would be easy to focus fire on them and get a quick victory point

Offline spunkybass

• Uh-oh, I'm starting a new army. Again.
    • Spunkybass Place 3.0
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Thousand Sons, Eldar, Ravenwing
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2016, 05:13:56 AM »
1 Crimson Hunter would be good enough for now.

If you can fit in Swooping Hawks, that's like totally elegant, has lots of tactical utility and keeps to your mobility theme

I guess if you really like the Wraithknight model you can get one for display  ;D
Legio Malaysia member since 2008
Spunkybass Place 3.0

Offline returnofirv

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: September 7, 2016, 02:37:37 AM »
thanks - would you recommend anything other than swooping hawks? Ive worked with GW resin in the past and promised that i would never do again.
It's a pity though as the unit looks great - is the resin ok?
« Last Edit: September 7, 2016, 04:54:56 AM by returnofirv »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #9 on: September 7, 2016, 05:09:42 AM »
My recommendation is to avoid using resin models.  This does not mean you have to rule out Swooping Hawks though, as I'm sure you'd be able to find metal ones (either the current models, or the superior Rogue Trader/second edition models) for sale on e-bay.  You could also ask in .
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline returnofirv

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: September 7, 2016, 06:00:31 AM »
Are there any other units you would recommend instead of the hawks?

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
« Reply #11 on: September 7, 2016, 06:41:17 AM »
In terms of high mobility, the other obvious option is warp spiders.
These are very good units, particularly if you can master getting the most out of their flickerjump ability. There is a high degree of overlap with the jetbikes in terms of gun profiles and armour values though, so Warp Spiders are not going to give your army much of  new dimension.

All Eldar tanks are fast skimmers, so still quite mobile.
Falcons with bright lance make for a decent anti tank gun platform. They have a limited transport capacity which cn be used to carry small squads of fire dragon or dire avengers to some success, but I'm not sure you would want to do that with your current list being focussed on keeping the enemy at bay, as both DAs and Fire Dragons are relatively short range units.
A Night Spinner will give you something different to what you already have, and can be quite effective.
Also if you and your opponents are happy to play Forgeworld stuff then Hornets are a very good choice for you -Fast Attack so you have plenty of slots spare, very good weapons on a fast skimmer platform that can outflank and is very good value (point-wise, not necessarily $$$)

Your other option is to look at the different jetbike units available. -which would be Seer Council (Farseer & Warlocks) or Shining Spears.
Both of these are primarily assault units, so it would be a departure from your current strategy of kite & shoot, but maybe it's time to expand your horizons.
An Autarch can be added to either of the above units to add some excellent punch in assault.

Offline returnofirv

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: September 7, 2016, 06:48:20 AM »
Thanks. Just checked and the warp spiders are resin too (grrr). It's a real pity as the rules for those and the hawks both look good.

Do you think 2 crimson hunters would work? I like the model and it means that i only need to learn a few extra rules :-)
I could add a seer council on bikes, but i already have my warlocks spread around my jetbikes, and already have loads of magic per turn.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
« Reply #13 on: September 7, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
Unless you are expecting your opponent to be fielding 2 or more flyers, a second crimson hunter probably isn't worth it. A Crimson Hunter and a Wraithfighter would be a better combo IMHO.

If it were me, I would take your warlocks out of the jetbike units and use them to form a seer council with the farseer, even at his point level. It gives you another formidable unit on the table and the warlocks don't add a lot to the windfinder units I find.

For the 1250 list, you could then bulk out the council with more warlocks, a 2nd farseer, and/or an autarch

Councils are good at:
1) bullet magnet. especially if you get fortune and/or invisibility. Everyone having an invul save, plus the +1T from the bikes, plus the 3+ armour save, plus jink plus assault moves out of LOS means you have a good defense against every form of shooting attack in the game.
2) assaulting MCs and other high toughness units
3) tarpitting any unit in assault that doesn't have a D-weapon
4) taking out armour from close range (always take the singing spears)
5) Magic! (you can never have too much magic)
6) (if you kit out the farseer and or autarch with the shard) character hunting.

Offline returnofirv

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #14 on: September 7, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »
thanks!!!!
ATM i run 3 warlocks and 1 farseer, giving me (correct me if im wrong) 6 magic dice base (3, 1,1,1,). All are ok in shooting once they get close enough, but i try not to get that close!! They are just there to increase the number of dice. The windrunners also shield the warlocks.
My army is good at shooting up infantry but only has the prisms for vehicles and consequently they draw fire until they are blown up. My plan for the flyer was to go after tanks and generally draw attention away from the prisms for a few turns.
Looking at the stats for the hemlock, am i correct that they get 2 shots at the maximum strength value and very low AP, hitting on a 3 AND can also do spells? That would be great on both fronts :-)

sooo, assuming that i have not misunderstood, are you saying

CAD
Farseer Skyrunner (spear)
4 windriders (scatters)
4 windriders (scatters)
4 windriders (scatters)
3 windriders (scatters)
Prism (holos)
Prism (holos)

SEER COUNCIL
2 farseers (one with spirit stone) on bikes
5 warlocks - all with spear

so, in terms of magic:
* the hemlock can roll 2 dice and do his own magic
* the seer council rolls 7 dice (3 Farseer, 3 farseer, 2 warlocks)
* the CAD farseer adds 3 more to this - so 11 dice?!

In terms of tactics:
* use the SC as a magic battery - keeping it out of harms way through the 30 inch move
* run my  CAD as i have been
* use the hemlock with the prisms for shooting up tanks (hemlock also doing spells)

Edited the stats to comply with GW's rules on copyright.  Please see forum rule 1 for details - Iris.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2016, 12:14:35 PM by returnofirv »

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 07:07:55 PM »
Awesome to hear that you run a council. Don't forget those WC4 Eldritch Storm works wonders on the field especially v vehicles.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat