News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Concept: The Nemesor Taxi (with the Obryon GPS System).  (Read 1815 times)

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
New Concept: The Nemesor Taxi (with the Obryon GPS System).
« on: December 9, 2011, 01:01:46 AM »
After looking through the new necron codex and reading online I've realized that many people feel that certain necron units, particularly lychguard, are uncompetitive due to their high points cost and lack of mobility. The inability to pack them into something tougher than a night scythe which can take your entire unit out of the game effectively if it goes down turn 2-3 is quite a sad situation.

Then I found a possible remedy for this.

I noticed a couple things:

1st: Nemesor can take a command barge. I know, it sounds dumb (since he has no warscythe), but its not terrible even without my major point. You get to turbo boost, shoot the tesla destructor cannon, and staff of light (due to it being open topped) and you get to assault, possibly forcing armor saves on a squad leader that you don't like. 3 Str5 attacks aren't bad.

Then you look at his ability to give himself stealth. Now this vehicle is rather resilient actually. Then you look to Obryon.

Obryon: the ghostwalk mantle allows him to redeploy an entire unit and himself within 6" of Nemesor without scattering. With Nemesor in a command barge, you can effectively redeploy an entire unit 30+" away on the first turn, and with running, one could even get into cover without any dangerous terrain checks.

Then, if one desires, they can have Obryon and Nemesor swap. Obryon takes the barge, and Nemesor gives his unit orb support, or (more importantly) waits there for Obryon to turbo boost in the barge and later bring Nemesor another squad with the ghostwalk mantle.

-pulling off a second squad with the ghostwalk mantle isn't easy if your opponent assaults Nemesor, but in general, it can be pretty safe and brutal. Here are some possible unit combinations that would be hard to deal with for some opponents.

-5-10 Lychguard, dispersion shields or warscythes, cryptek with gaze of flame or lord with res orb/warscythe: these guys can land on an objective and take down anyone that comes to them. They also can be given furious charge, stealth, or counter-attack thanks to Nemesor, so they can really hurt someone.

5-10 Guass Immortals with a cryptek or lord: they can shred infantry while also blowing apart tanks if you give them the Tank Hunters USR. Get them into position and let them do their thing. Plus they're scoring, and a lord+warscythe could let these guys crumple a vehicle wall (I'm looking at all Imperial Guard players). Also if you don't want them to die, run them into cover and give them the Stealth USR (res orb+stealth will make them hell to remove).

1-3 Tomb Spyders: load them on an objective where your opponent has a weak scoring unit. They will have lots of problems with these. Also they allow you to bring psychic defense to a far away location and they can also create scarabs right next to your opponent.

5-10 Deathmarks with a harbringer of despair: These guys mark a target, and then all you have to do is ghostwalk them near their prefered enemy and hit them with the abyssal staff. This will generally eliminate any unit that does not have an inulnerable save. This really can wreck marines, and thunderwolves since you also have sniper shots to boot.

Overall this idea has got me thinking about a lot of abuse....which isn't too healthy. I really think that this is a bit too powerful of a strategy, as tomb blades and flayed ones can also turbo-boost/infiltrate respectively to bring many more units into your opponents' face.

What do people think about this? I feel pretty awesome for thinking of it, but I'd like to see what you guys think, and if any of you guys considered these strategies.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:17:53 PM by enlargingcloud »

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
Re: New Concept: The Nemesor Taxi (with the Obryon GPS System).
« Reply #1 on: December 9, 2011, 02:36:14 AM »
Its a fun idea, and while a bit on the expensive side, at least Nemesor is a worthwhile hq in his own right, and once the transport trick is done, Obryon is a decent character to have in a barge.

Of your specific suggested combos, the only one I'm really a huge fan of is the spyders.  3 of them.  3 high T, multi-wound, good armor, potentially wound allocated MCs is a nasty unit any way you cut it.  Their one real drawback is lack of mobility and this address that very nicely.  For the others... lychguard I feel you really need a large unit to be effective and by the time you do that and look at the points for the rest of the combo, you are nearing the 900 point mark... its a nice combo, but not 900 points nice.  Immortals I don't feel are survivable enough to get away with dropping a single squad into the middle of an enemy army, cut off from support.  Could be used to pick off isolated thing or such.  The deathmark used in that way would probably be a suicide unit, though potentially an effective one so I've no real problem with that.  Rather my main issue with them is deathmark already have their own deep strike system and I feel like its a waste to use 425 point combo of units just to make it more accurate.

So other possibilities also present themselves -- I'll wanna thing through the tactical implications.  The most practical of the one not yet mentioned is probably dropping a 20 warrior squad into rapid fire range of something with Nemesor jumping in as res orb support.  But my favorite thought so far is hiding 9 spyders and 10 scarabs in a corner somewhere.  Spend 4 turns multiplying then use this to precision place a unit of 46 scarabs somewhere of your choice...  <insert maniacal laughter here>  Not realistic or effective, but gods that would be fun.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #2 on: December 9, 2011, 03:18:54 AM »
Well an important aspect is that once you throw 3 spyders out there, your opponent will then be more stressed, possibly letting you pull off a second grab, which could result in you getting a squad of immortals up there too.

Then with other fast units helping out, you can overrun an opponent wherever his army is weakest, while also being able to quickly grab objectives.

Also on the deathmarks, the main part of them is that the abyssal staff wounds on a 2+ vs. their selected target, and with accurate deep strike, you get to place the template really close to an enemy of your choice, without risk of mishap/scattering away. Its the only way to reliably get the abyssal staff wounding a whole unit on a 2+ without using the 100pt night scythe.

Offline gangrel767

• "What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus
« Reply #3 on: December 9, 2011, 10:40:30 AM »
Note - the Command Barge has a Tesla Cannon, not Destructor. Your tactics are good (not enough playtesting for me to judge), just ensuring accuracy in your post.
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus Meridius

Check out Veterans of the Long War Podcast -
https://www.facebook.com/VeteransOfTheLongWar

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #4 on: December 9, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »
I did think of this combo and even had the same thought of using Lynchguard.

I was going to turbo Nemesor up, and have Vargard follow with the Lynchguard. Then I changed it to Praetorians so they could at least Veil, then shoot and if my opponent was running, the Praetorians would have a better chance of getting combat.

The idea fell apart when I saw how many points it would cost me to pull that trick off. Also with Nemesor's ability, it makes sense to include a Monolith. It just got ridiculously expensive.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: December 9, 2011, 01:50:43 PM »
Correct me if im wrong, but the barge is not "fast" and can therefore not flat out (can't turbo either as that is for bikes). I'll have to check my code when I get home.

Offline Azonalanthious

« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
Correct me if im wrong, but the barge is not "fast" and can therefore not flat out (can't turbo either as that is for bikes). I'll have to check my code when I get home.

Consider yourself corrected.  Command barges can zip around to their speedy heart's content.

Offline gangrel767

« Reply #7 on: December 9, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
Command Barge is Fast, Annihilation... is not. I guess that Tesla Destructor is too heavy?

Offline Azonalanthious

« Reply #8 on: December 9, 2011, 02:30:22 PM »
Command Barge is Fast, Annihilation... is not. I guess that Tesla Destructor is too heavy?

Nah, its not that.  Its just that when you have a 5-star general equivalent in the back of a jeep driven by two privates and he screams "Go faster or else!" they darn well find a way to go faster, limits of the equipment or not!  ;)

Offline gangrel767

« Reply #9 on: December 9, 2011, 02:41:06 PM »
I just crafted my first list using the GPS system you have detailed. Here is the link. I should get a battle in using it this weekend and I'll update with results.