News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Need advice on WoC idea before painting them.  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Lofton

Need advice on WoC idea before painting them.
« on: November 21, 2012, 11:18:39 PM »
I just wanted to ask what the WoC community thought of my idea for a starter army. I plan to start small 1250-1500 and work up to 2000k-ish.

I want to use Tzeentch warriors as the core of my army. A unit of skullcrushers and a unit of Nurgle knights with banner of rage for the hammer, finally adding in a hellcannon. I just want to make sure my strategy is sound before applying the paint. I will have at least one sorcerer as well just want to get my troops and elites painted.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Need advice on WoC idea before painting them.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 01:16:24 AM »
Well, having both the Skullcrushers and the Knights is probably a bit much. I've yet to put them on the table, but Skullcrushers seem the better choice between two fairly similar options. They're more durable than the Knights and they hit like a ton of bricks. More expensive, yes, but you need fewer to achieve the same results.

Why don't you post up a full list and we'll have a look at it?

Offline Lofton

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »
Well, I have bought 4 battalions so I had the knights. My thought was people may pay more attention to the krushers and leave the knights to get through. I am not entirely ready for a list as it takes me a while to paint with two jobs and a family. More or less just wanted to make sure my idea was on the right path. Just wanted to make sure I was painting things that will be playable. For example the tzeentch warriors with the combination of knights and or skullkrushers. I just wanted to make sure they were of a proper hammer/anvil balance or if I need to adjust and use some khorne warriors with halberds as well. I like the tzeentch knights better with shield/weapon combo but wanted to make sure skullkrushers would be enough of a hammer. I do have ALOT of marauders with my 4 battalions as well but do not like the models as well as the chaos warriors and knights.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 01:45:33 AM »
Well, I have bought 4 battalions so I had the knights. My thought was people may pay more attention to the krushers and leave the knights to get through.

Heh, well if you have four battalions worth of Knights, I suppose you may as well use them. I really would go for one or the other though; they're not cheap and I find it difficult to rely on cavalry these days when the meta so favours infantry blocks. The steadfast rule makes it much harder for them break units on the charge, after which they get dragged down. Now, Chaos Knights aren't so susceptible to that because they pack a good statline and aren't relying on lances to do get the job done.

For example the tzeentch warriors with the combination of knights and or skullkrushers. I just wanted to make sure they were of a proper hammer/anvil balance or if I need to adjust and use some khorne warriors with halberds as well.

I swear by Khorne Warriors with halberds and sheilds, personally, they hit like a ton of bricks and the shields give them some protection on the way in. Honestly, I've never used Tzeentch Warriors with hand weapons and shields. I can see the logic of using them as an anvil with the cavalry working as the hammer though. Nor have I used the Skullcrushers, so I can't tell you if they're any good or not. They certainly look like a win on paper though.

I do have ALOT of marauders with my 4 battalions as well but do not like the models as well as the chaos warriors and knights.

The models aren't fantastic, but I encourage you to give them a try. For their price, a horde of Marauders with flails and the Mark of Khorne are very good at making a mess of things.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
Khemri seems to know what he's talking about and I can vouch for Skullcrushers. They do hit like a ton of bricks, they attract attention and generally they play with your opponents head.

I would agree that you should either do Knights or Skullcrushers as otherwise your Tzeentch warrior unit is going to be too small for an effective anvil and as you're not going to be looking to that marauder horde Khemri was talking about you'll need at least 18 Tzeentcheen warriors.  I believe this config would be the best for an anvil but like Khemri I swear by the Khornate halbardier flavor of warrior..

You have the knights so use them. At least until you get the Skullcrusher models. The Knights are good enough not to be marked. I will say, and I'msure Khemri will agree, is that you will definitely need at least one unit of warhounds for chaff clearance, fanatic baiting, warmachine hunting and the like.

You haven't talked about characters yet. Any ideas in this area? You'll want a Level 2 sorcerer to either buff your own troops (Nurgle) or as pseudo missile support (Death)
After that a nekid Lord is a possibility as a BSB may push you over the 25% hero limit

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:44:08 PM by ARQFURY »

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »
Warrior-wise, MoT with hand weapon and shield is viable, but I must admit I prefer to have my warriors hit harder so tend to go for Halberds. If I have the points I may also take shields and even possibly great weapons to keep them alive on the way in and to cut through 1+ cavalry saves if needed. This is quite extravagant. Mark wise, I am now a fan of MoN because it reduces shooting damage on the way in and can even reduce hits in combat- WS3 hits on 5+ and WS6 (many heroes) hits on 4+. You can also give them the banner of rage, which is better than the MoK as you can't loose frenzy.
Currently I have chaos knights (just 5) and they are good with just a musician. I am thinking of getting some skullcrushers as the models are nice and they will hit harder than knights. Most armies don't need both though.
I agree, units of warhounds are a must. They will always get thrown under the bus, but that is their job.

Offline Lofton

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 08:25:31 PM »
Thank you guys very much for the help. I started making khorne warriors and have 20 halberds/spears from my knights out of the battalions but found it to be a pain to convert it over so I stopped. (Not a huge deal just time consuming and I am a slow painter) Well, if I go the khorne warrior route does anyone have a sample 1k list that would be good for learning the game? Lastly, I have every intention on atleast 1-2 units of warhounds just trying to paint warriors of chaos first then move on from there.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:14:41 AM »
If I can remember correctly you're not a fan of marauders so that limits your core choices somewhat.  do you just have the battalion boxed sets or do you have any other models?

As a general guide, 2 blocks of warriors is a solid core. Warhounds are Very useful as we have no missile troops.  You'll need a Sorcerer too.  With all that you're knocking on the door of 1k already.