News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Marines vs Orks (kans) - 1500pts  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
Marines vs Orks (kans) - 1500pts
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:49:15 AM »
So I decided to dust off my marines ("The Unbound") this week while my ork army nears completion.  They've been semi-unplayable as nearly all the tac squads had ccw/bp arms (traits) that no longer apply.  I started painting some Black Reach marines to form a new core to them.  So this is my first 5th ed game with marines.  Apologies for the unpainted units!  I played this game on saturday vs Jeff's Ork kan army.  You can read an earlier batrep game against him here.
The Original Unbound Painting Blog
Infamous Unbound Fluff

The Unbound vs Death Skull Orks - Dawn of War Annihilation

THE CHALLENGER:  Tusks.  Cheaper by the dozen!

Warboss - klaw, eavy armor, squig, cybork
leading 10 'Ard Boys - PK, BP, trukk
8 Nobs - 2xklaws, banner, painboy, BP, trukk
KFF Big Mek
leading Walking Shoota Boy Mob of 20 - PK, BP
Walking Slugga Boy Mob of 20 - PK, BP
Deff Dread - extra klaws
9 Kans - Big Shootas

THE DEFENDER:  Hammer Time!
Viktor the Merciless <Vulkan>
leading 6 Assault Terminators - 2xLC, 4xTH/LC
in LRC - MM
2 Dreadnoughts - 2xHF
Tac Squad - melta, ML, Fist, Razorback
Tac Squad - flamer, Plasma cannon, Fist, Rhino
2 Attack Bikes - 2xMM

We got another player (stewart) to set up terrain on a 4' by 4' board.  The other boards were in use for painting or dnd players, lol.  We decided that the crashed rhino piece was a wreck, and the stream was lava (both dangerous terrain).  We rolled annihilation and dawn of war.  I got first turn.

Deployment:
I deployed a rhino as far forward as possible, just behind the lava stream.  This forced jeff to deploy further back.  The rhino squad deployed in the tank-trap covered ruin.  Jeff deployed the dread, mek, and shoota boy mob in some woods near the board center. 

Turn 1 - Unbound

I bring on all my other units.  Razorback and LRC on the left flank, bikes behind the LRC, dreads in the middle.  Combined shooting (HB and plasma cannon) guns down 3 shoota boys.

Turn 1 - Orks

Jeff's kan wall, etc run onto the board.  The shootas and dread run forward. 

Turn 2 - Unbound

My dreads move forward.  Bikes advance and blast a kan.  I gun down 5 more shootas (KFF saved a lot). 

Turn 2 - Orks

More running.  Kans shake the rhino and take a wound off one attack bike.

Turn 3 - Unbound

Damaged rhino retreats.  Razorback squad disembarks and rapid fires the shootas.  I realize at this point I forgot to combat squad the razorback unit, so I just say that half are still in reserve.  I have 5 multimeltas in range of walkers now, They destroy another kan and the dread.  I shoot down 7 slugga boys and 7 shoota boys.  The sluggas were all killed by one perfect plasma cannon shot (hit 8 boys).

Turn 3 - Orks

Big shootas manage to shake the razorback.  The shoota boys manage a charge on the razorback squad, killing all but the sarge. 

He flees to safety.

Turn 4 - Unbound

The other half of the razorback squad deploy and rapid fire the remaining shoota boys, killing all but the nob (who breaks and starts fleeing).  I down another kan and all but 5 slugga boys.

Turn 4 - Orks

Jeff calls the Waaagh!  and finally brings in his trukk squads.  The 'ard boys/warboss charge my (unmoved) raider and the bikers.  Sluggas charge the raider.  Nobs charge the raider and nearby combat squad. 

The warboss explodes the raider, hitting just about everyone.  A terminator dies leaping out of the raider, but the squad is not pinned.  Just really pissed.  The explosion also kills 2 space marines, 3 orcs and puts 4 wounds on the nobs.  The nobs wiff in combat, losing by one to 5 marines with no power weapons!  The attack bikes, however, die unspectacularly. 

A lone kan manages to charge one of my dreads, knocking off the dccw and taking no damage back. 

Turn 5 - Unbound

Viktor gets into perfect flamer position and roasts the big mek, sluggas, and most of the 'ard boys with one shot.  He and the termies charge the warboss and ard boys such that the two IC's aren't in base to base.  The boss and 'ard boys are slaughtered by the emperor's finest.  My second dread charges the lone kan fighting my first dread, knocking the klaw off the kan.
The lone sarg from the razorback squad charges the nobs mob.  He and the combat squad wiff, the squad is killed by the nobs.  Hillariously, the sarge again escapes and runs off.  :P   

Turn 5 - Orks

The nobs and a fresh kan unit of 3 assault the dreads, destroying one. 
We rolled, and the game ended.

Result:  
I killed: 2 boys mobs, ard boys, dread, mek, and warboss for 6 KPs.
Jeff killed: 2 combat squads, raider, bikes, and a dread for 5 KPs. 
VICTORY for the Unbound!

Analysis:  
This was a really fun game, Jeff is a very cool opponent with a nice army.  Dawn of war is really rough on a walking army like kans.  It gave me plenty of time to whittle down his units before they could charge.  Even so, this game was close and I blame that on sloppy play by yours truly.  I should have anticipated the turn 4 charges and moved my raider.  It's just such a great gunboat, it's tempting to keep shooting everything.  I also should have gunned for his transports instead of downing kans, since they're easier KP's.  I should have deployed the razorback unit on foot as one big squad (only one KP).  It feels strange playing marines in 5th, they definitely play differently than my all cc/infiltrating traited marines from 4th!

MVP:  
Tough to say as every unit did their job.  The plasma cannon tac squad get it this time.  They killed quite a few orcs using only one gun, and preserved their own kill points by remaining out of enemy reach.  The plasma cannon upgrade was totally worth it over a missle launcher even vs orcs, don't leave home without it.

Hero(es) of the game:
No surprise, Viktor and the terminators saved the day.  The Vulkan twin-linking was very useful, but his own heavy flamer just owned the ard boys in one shot.  The termies had little trouble killing the warboss and were largely immune to power klaws.  I really only wish I'd unleashed them a little earlier so they could get in more damage.

BONUS CATEGORY
Most Unlucky Enemy Unit: 
The nobs blew it this game.  They somehow lost combat to 5 marines (no power fist or anything), failed tons of saves and really didn't do much. 

Hope you enjoyed the game!

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
Re: Marines vs Orks (kans) - 1500pts
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:57:03 AM »
Very nice batrep, and I loved the pictures.  :D

Thanks for posting it.

NewHeretic

P.S.  Why don't you and Jeff consider entering your battle reports in the 40k Online Campaign thread posted by 'L'?  It would be great to have more Ork players participating.  NH
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Good work. A couple of criticisms would have been the Orks didn't seem to do a lot of moving in the first couple of pictures. All the fighting was localized into one area of the board, and his army was slow of the mark. Real slow. Would have been cool to see some fighting down on that fortress thing, but that's how games go. They're not movies, after all.

Offline krootman

• yea I didnt do laundry freshmen year, sue me
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:15:33 AM »
you need to do more tank shocking with the land raider!!!!!!!!
If you are in the pittsburgh area looking for a game of blood bowl, fantasy, or 40k pm me

Necromantic blood bowl team
Space marines, chaos, tau, guard, orks in 40k
Wood Elfs in fantasy