News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Return of the King  (Read 915 times)

Offline adamdodici

• Runnin' sh*t in '05
Return of the King
« on: October 7, 2003, 11:32:36 AM »
Anyone plan on picking this up and getting some massive battles in Middle Earth on?
He will be drawn to large cities, where he will clog sewers, reverse street signs, and steal everybody's left shoe.

Offline The Dark Death Dealer.

• Death Dealers always win
Re:Return of the King
« Reply #1 on: October 7, 2003, 08:22:56 PM »
HECK YA!!!!!!!!!! I really want to play co-op in Helms Deep with friends. Or the battle of Pellenor feilds. I know alot about this game so I want this one.
even though the Eldar maybe screwed, Death Dealers will always live on....

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #2 on: October 8, 2003, 01:05:39 AM »
I'm getting it for sure.  Hopefully they'll give us some more Gondorians models.  I want to make a 10'000 point Last Alliance army, but the Gondorian models thus far aren't very good.

Offline adamdodici

• Runnin' sh*t in '05
« Reply #3 on: October 8, 2003, 08:54:05 AM »
You get 24 Warriors of Minas Tirith in the new boxed set and 24 Mordor Orcs.  Check them out:

http://us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Odd&odd=NewLayout&_do=List_Models&codeI61
He will be drawn to large cities, where he will clog sewers, reverse street signs, and steal everybody's left shoe.

Offline Wind Walker

• Death is the servant of the righteous.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 02:41:05 AM »
I am definatley interested in getting it. I already have both of the other boxed games. However, so far I am a little dissapointed with how basic and simple the rules are compared to Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 05:18:56 AM »
However, so far I am a little dissapointed with how basic and simple the rules are compared to Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000.

What you have to do is not compare it to 40k or WHFB, but think, "how could we make LOTR better?". This way you will get a much better game, instead of a spin off from 40k etc.
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline adamdodici

• Runnin' sh*t in '05
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 09:28:49 AM »
GW made the rules so simple to get younger players interested quicker, and then branch them off to the Warhammer systems.  Shrewd marketing.

I can't wait for the games to come out.  I have a few more of my Two Towers models to paint before I get the new boxed set, though.

Offline Wind Walker

• Death is the servant of the righteous.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 12:38:55 PM »
GW made the rules so simple to get younger players interested quicker, and then branch them off to the Warhammer systems.

Exactly. I am sure GW could have made a much better game than they have done, with more atmosphere and more of a fast paced feel.
One house rule I´ve come up with help this, is that instead of moving as normal, the player with Priority rolls a dice. On a 1-3, he moves, and on a 4-6, he shoots with his minis instead. Then the next player does the same. Next the player with priority does the phase he missed out. Then the other player does the same. Finally both players fight.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #8 on: November 5, 2003, 09:03:39 PM »
I've never played 40k or WHFB, but I see nothing wrong with the Rings rules.  They do seem a bit simple, but not overly so.  The seige rules are fairly in depth.  I haven't read the RotK rules yet, so I don't know what they've changed there (although Gil-Galad's new stats are much more appropriate now).
If GW's plan was to get me hooked on Rings and then get me to play their other games, I'm afraid they'll be rather dissappointed.  I have next to no interest in the other games.  They're neat, I'm sure, but why would I spend money on them when there's a perfectly good game based on my favourite book?

Offline Hippy In Peril

• Dude...Penguins rock.
Re: Return of the King
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 10:04:47 PM »
I'm definatly going to get it. I am a devoted fan of the books and the movies, and the game definatly makes its way onto my list. The models are awesome, and seeing the new Gondorian models and King Aragorn...I'm really itching to get a battle of the Pellenor goin...

My idol and inspiration...John Rzeznik.

Offline adamdodici

• Runnin' sh*t in '05
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 10:19:59 AM »
The new Aragorn the King model on horseback is really nice.  I love all of the models in the range.

I'm figuring after Christmas I'll probably make a large purchase of Return of the King products.

Offline Secret

• The final act of SecretC
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2003, 03:11:50 PM »
Having played every game system but epic I've got to say I love the Lord of the rings rules. They may be simple but this leads to a lot less cheese and cheats. Plus a lot less time arguing about how rules are meant to be interpreted :(
Please send me money or pixies will steal your socks.....