News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Harlequins primary with CWE allies 1850p  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Harlequins primary with CWE allies 1850p
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:49:59 PM »
I am not sure wether it's ok to discuss the harlequins new codex here in detail since it hasn't officially dropped in the U.S due to strikes. I will therefore be extra careful about rules and point costs.

As this s the closest to a harlequin part of the forum and the primary detachment will be harlequins I thought it would be best suited here.

My main army is eldar, but I do own some DE too and are familiar with both codexes. I've seen a couple of lists with harlequins out there but most are pure harlequin or a small harlequin formation added as allies to either eldar or DE.

I've been running some eldar lists with DE allies and have had great fun with them but considering to go all bananas with spaceelfy murderclowns and here is what I came up with:

Firstly it's the large formation cegorachs revenge which grants you the ability to re-roll inv saves of 1 and both run & assault and re-roll harlequin warlord traits.

Harlequins 1439p
ELITE
Solitaire
3x Death Jesters
Shadowseer
-ML2, mask of secrets.
2x Shadowseers
-2x ML2.

TROOPS
12x Players
-Troupe master, caress, starmist raiment.(warlord)
5x Players
-Troupe master, caress.
+Starweaver(dedicated transport)
5x Players
-Troupe master, caress.
+Starweaver(dedicated transport)

FAST
2xskyweavers
2xskyweavers

HEAVY
Voidweaver

Eldar Allies 400p
HQ
Eldrad
TROOPS
5x Dire Avengers
+Wave Serpent
-twin-linked shuriken cannon, shuriken cannon.

1839p total

The idea is to have a Deathstar of Eldrad three shadowseers and a death jester on foot.
Eldrad goes sanctic sanctuary to increase their invulnerable save firstly, but than can get nice things like prescience if rolls are lucky.

The shadowseers can try for sanctuary too but I'd rather have them casting harlequin powers or maybe telepathy powers since they have no ghosthelms.

The last two DJ's will join the smaller troupes n their transports shooting his shrieker cannon from there and causing mayhem to the opponent.

The solitaire hides out of sight until late game or a target appears, he will hunt characters and MC's mainly.

The skyweavers will be left in reserve to grab objactives late game, unless I really need some shooting, maybe I will use the spare 11 points for two haywire cannons.

The Wave serpent will focus on AA if needed.

My concern is if I should add more caresses to the large troupe so they can down vehicles reliably at the cost of fewer models in the unit.

Another thing I thought about is taking a shadowcouncil from the Iyanden supplement, but then it will be many popped heads if I can't get the sanctuary power, and Eldrad is still better at tanking. But the allies section could look like this:

Eldar Allies 401
HQ
5x Spiritseer
TROOPS
3x Windrider jetbikes

With 10 multiwound models in the unit, the renew power might be put to good use here as well.

What are your thoughts?
Would it be competitive?
Would it be fun to play/face?
Ideas?
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: Harlequins primary with CWE allies 1850p
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »
i don't know much about the new harlequins Dex, but from my point of view just having a full army of Harlequin with eldrad as main support would looks extremely cool to watch as table top ... 

i know that's not really productive as a comment but just because it would look cool and sounds fun is good enough reason for me to field somethings therefore i say: GO FOR IT!  :D
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 07:39:55 PM »
Thanx, it will probably take a while to assemble all the new models I need, so I will do a proxy first, but I think I'd prefer to use Eldrad rather than the spiritseers as the harlequins lack a HQ, Eldrad will fill that role quite nicely fluff-wise, he could play the role of cegorach or a great harlequin.

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #3 on: March 1, 2015, 02:53:02 PM »
Firstly it's the large formation cegorachs revenge which grants you the ability to re-roll inv saves of 1 and both run & assault and re-roll harlequin warlord traits.

Unfortunately, this formation does not have Star Weavers so you'll have to footslogg all your Troupes unless you use Eldar vehicles. I'm guessing that the bonus is there to compensate the lack of Star Weavers.

Personally i'm not so happy with the formations because they all lack something i would want to use. So for me it's going to be either an unbound list or a full force of Harlies with allied CWs or Deldar.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #4 on: March 1, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »
@KD: Are you saying I can't take starweavers as dedicated transports in this formation?
I'd have to double check that when I get home. I know you can't take them as fast choices too stick allies in them.

Offline Cidias

• 2-3, Still learning
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2015, 12:06:19 PM »
Its a formation so you have to take what the formation calls for and only what it calls for. i.e the formation that grants you Ariel Walk requires 3 starweavers as dedicated

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #6 on: March 3, 2015, 06:47:55 AM »
I like this list a lot. Eldrad for the invuln buff is very clever... as for the formation rules, check the restriction section on the formation if it doesn't explicitly say no transports you can take them as they are only an upgrade.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #7 on: March 8, 2015, 12:45:20 AM »
Restrictions: None.
So my list is legit.

I was thinking of cramming in a transport for the solitaire, but that transport would have to be bought from a fast section. There is of course the option of taking a DE venom, but then I will be closer to 2K in points.

This would allow the solitaire to make a first turn assault:
-moving the venom 6"
-disembarking and moving the solitaire 12"
-charge 2D6 with fleet, which makes you statistically to roll around 9"

That makes it an 27" charge on average.