News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Let's Look at Phoenix Lords Again  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Wyldhunt

Let's Look at Phoenix Lords Again
« on: February 21, 2015, 07:09:04 PM »
Time has passed. Lots of new books have come out. The meta has shifted. So my friends (and Tangi ;)) how do we feel about Phoenix Lords these days?

In the past, similar discussions have had these bones to pick with Phoenix Lords:
A. For the same points, you could just take another squad of their aspect.
B. They're more expensive than Farseers, Autarchs, and some special characters.
C. They're less potent than Farseers, Autarchs, and some special characters.
d. Their lack of invul saves leaves them very vulnerable.

Usually, these discussions have ruled that Phoenix Lords aren't terrible units, but that they simply aren't worth their points.

Now I love my man Baharroth, and his siblings-at-arms are just to cool for me not to break them out from time to time.  As a result, I've found a few selling points that might help to some of the downsides listed above. 

* Bikeless farseers are less reliable than before and can't cast while in transports.  Autarchs are arguably better than before, but still hard to make worth it without a bike-and-lance combo. PLs, on the other hand are pretty much always at least somewhat useful whenever their squad is.  They still cost quite a bit more than a 'seer or autarch, but the price gap is, perhaps, a bit less noticable now that many of our HQs feel a bit less effective in their own right.
* Some PLs do have invul saves now! Including Asurmen, Baharroth, iirc Irilitith, and Fuegan has FNP (which is sort of kind of comparable.) Jain Zar doesn't have one, but her disarm exarch power can help make it matter less against the right enemy.
* I feel like Fearless is maybe slightly more useful these days now that fear is handed out like candy, and many psychic effects are negated by fearless. Plus, it makes you immune to dark eldar soulfright or whatever it's called.
* Look Out Sir! means that you're almost guaranteed to be able to pass off the low-AP shots that come at your PLs squad to a mook while letting the PL tank small arms fire and high strength high AP shots.  In other words, PLs are better tanks.
*Some PLs got handy new abilities like Baharroth's ability to blind gents after a scatterless deepstrike or Jain Zar's disarm.
* Overwatch means that it sometimes pays to assault a unit with more than one of your own to eat overwatch.  So if Karandras or Jain Zar split off from their aspect warriors in teh movement phase, they can charge first, eat those nasty flamer and bolter wounds for their students, and thus free up their aspects to land more attacks.

The price tag on a phoenix lord still feels pretty high, and you'll still ignore them if you prefer competitive lists, but how do they look for more casual games these days?  In the past, I felt like taking a PL generally meant I was handicapping myself a bit even against casual lists. Now?  They might be a bit pricey, but at least they feel like they're reliably contributing. Unlike my farseer who either does amazingly well or else fails to meaningfully impact the flow the of the game.

If PLs still aren't quite where you'd like them to be, what do you think of a formation for each PL to give members of their aspect within the formation some sort of boost?  Maybe skyfire for dark reapers the haywire rule for swooping hawk grenade packs?  Things like that?

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: Let's Look at Phoenix Lords Again
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:08:21 AM »
I think Asurmen isn't bad at all in a competitive environment.
With D3 warlord traits he has a decent chance of re-rolling armour saves of 1, this makes him basically have a 2+ with re-roll, and even against low AP he this ability is useful since he also has an invulnerable save.

This allows you to basically deny your opponent getting slay the warlord. If you want you can of course boost him further with either invisibility and/or sanctuary from eldrad or another farseer, and if you join them to a wraith unit they get even tougher.

On top of this you can fit them in a serpent too.

Baharroth & Irilyth have nice mobility, but I wouldn't take them as warlords, they can work like assassins sort of, and are basically a mini unit of their aspect on their own.

Maugan Ra & Fuegan works well to boost a CC unit, however I wouldn't take Maugan Ra as warlord, and he is sort of an over priced death jester. Fuegan can work as warlord though but is not as tough as Asurmen, but at least he can destroy tanks instead.

Karandras & Jain Zar are still mini-units of their own aspect, and jain Zar is sadly just as weak as her banshees but karandras is still as strong as before, but he basically works best with rangers, and can do a nice tag team with Illic, however rangers are probably the worst unit in the eldar codex.

Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 05:31:45 PM »
I would like to argue with you fenris regarding the ranger but since i don't have any thing to tell productive i won't. I will just say they look cool (wich is good enought for me to not make them the worst ;p ).

Regarding the Phoenix  matter i seriously believe as well that they are not as bad as they used to be, all might  not be competitive that is a fact. I have seen several asurmen list go rampaging on the opponents list, so he is guy i would qualifies to be really good.

Karandras may find his way as well as he is pretty reliable. I don't know much about the other as i haven't interested myself too much with phoenix lords since my mini collection is rather small.

Next is i would use the Phoenix lord in apocalypse game. I have a friend with the apocalypse rules book. And as i was running throught the eldar pages, i found a phoenix concil with all phoenix lord and the avatar. And the combo was disgustingly powerfull in my opinion, so i would defenetly run a list with those if i had enough minis^^
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 01:06:08 AM »
If they got back to using the PL to make what aspect they are into troop choice, major fix. As for the one that needs fixing, Jain Zar, the banshee mask now leaves a lot to be desired and no grenades just messes up any chance they would hve productively in an all out cc combat. Damn over watch crap. Thinking about running harli to help against some of the scerios. I'm just gonna have to do a list up and see what blossoms from it
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 04:27:07 AM »
My experience with the PLs during Apoc games has been pretty promising. Whilst the Phoenix Court/council whatever from the Apoc rule book is quite strong I like having them all spread out with their aspects so I have solid units all over the place.

Amusingly enough every time I use Asurmen I get excited and show my opponent I get X amount of warlord traits. I always get the lowest and it's never the re-roll saves of one! Sad.

I have a niggling feeling that the PLs may become Lords of War when our codex gets updated next as has been the case with Chapter Masters and the like. With this in mind I've been wanting to field them more often and thus have created the following army list to try at this weekends store event. 1500pts

Maugan Ra

Jain Zar

Jetbikes x 3 w/ cannon

Jetbikes x 3 w/ Cannon         

Karandras

Fuegan   

Rangers   x6

Jetbikes x 3 w/ Cannon   

Baharroth

Dire Avengers x 7

Dire Avengers x 7

Sadly I cannot fit The Hand in but I think in this list he wouldn't contribute much anyway. I've still got 30 odd points to play with so I might swap some avengers for guardians and a platform. Been playing Eldar since the end of 4th and never ran anything like this before so it should be a laugh at the least.   

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 07:12:46 AM »
I like Asurmen a lot, but a normal Autarch with some nice wargear just seems to bring a lot more utility, comparable killing power due to the limited strength of Asurmens blade (particularly when Autarch is equipped with soulshrive or shard of Anaris).

As has been stated a million times though no invuln. save and the over-the-top price point prices them out of normal games. In Apocalypse I rather like them (see Scorpion82's tyranids vs. eldar to see Karandras go boss mode).

I wish they'd just take the Avatar and the Phoenix Lords out of the book bump them up to 30k Primarch/Greater Daemon power level and call it a day.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 06:59:36 PM »
love illic with asurman in bigger points games

but for one model impact have to say karandras is the best option if possibly a little over-pointed as his shooting weapon has been downgraded

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: March 4, 2015, 11:01:50 AM »
PLs are good in their own right. However, I still feel they don't bring much to the unit when they join their aspect (specially for their points).

I find Maugan and Fuegan the most useless. Yes they can help their squad in CC, but they can't carry their aspect in CC themselves.

Karandras and Jain Zar have good punch, but so does taking two of the same aspect instead of one...

Offline Cidias

• 2-3, Still learning
« Reply #8 on: March 4, 2015, 01:33:21 PM »
I almost always run Asurmen as my warlord. Stick him in with a squad of wraith axes and you've got an amazing assault group

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #9 on: March 4, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »
Actually, I tag team Fuegen with a foot council in a serpent, since I love healing Fuegen as he get wounded and gets stronger. The best I have gotten him to was S9.

One just needs to find the right combo and opportunities to fit our PL, although as this topic have glinted on. Their just to pricey for their own full abilities.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
« Reply #10 on: March 4, 2015, 09:19:57 PM »
The Las Vegas Open was unusual among gaming events in that it allowed Super-Heavies and any of the fortifications from Stronghold Assault. One of the players ran a standard Eldar Serpent list, but with a twist; his HQ was Maugan Ra in an Aquila Stronghold with Macro-Cannon, using Fast Shot to get an extra Strength D shot on it (and the Phoenix Lord BS for scatter reroll).

"We...didn't think that combo through. Thank goodness that unholy train of destruction was stopped though." -The tournament organizer.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2015, 09:23:06 PM by MagicJuggler »

Offline Nythrulas

• Armies: Ulthwe
« Reply #11 on: March 4, 2015, 09:38:16 PM »
Good God, that's evil.

That's why modern competitive 40k is just stupid.  You get phoenix lords fastshot splitfiring macro cannons.

But since it's facing dumb stuff like 3x Riptides + 3x Flyrants... you have to let it go.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #12 on: March 5, 2015, 01:21:45 AM »
That's kinda ridiculous combo >< i have to give him credit to thinking that up
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Voseph

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: March 6, 2015, 02:50:35 PM »
For most of the PL's its seems like they help to offer a CC aspect to army list.  Some doing this more effectively than others (namely Karandras, Fuegan, and Asurmen).  The problem that I have run into thus far is finding an effective delivery system.

Unless you allying with DE then you are stuck with using a wave serpent which will of course mostly likely get them to where they need to go but the unit will end up getting shot for a full turn (any one who knows the power of the PL will probably send every available shot their way).

So you essentially spent 300+ points on a bullet sponge :(

I however like the Krandras's Infiltrating WraithGuard.  Since the Majority Toughness is going to be 6 they will be able to weather storm fairly well before taking out a unit on the next turn.