News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Militarum Tempestus Codex  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Thoughts on the Militarum Tempestus Codex
« on: November 12, 2014, 03:28:33 PM »
I finally got around to getting it today.  The fluff, including details on training, equipment and all the different Tempestus regiments, is brilliant.  There's a tale of how at one Schola Progenium, a rebellion by cadets was put down ruthlessly by Commissars, with the surviving perpetrators being walled into the building alive.  Their bones still stick out of the walls to this day as a warning to others thinking about rebelling.  Very appropriately grimdark.

I'm a little disappointed with the actual rules though.  Their own unique orders are pretty good, even if I think that they could have been much better.  Not to mention the actual lack of units in the codex over all.  Overall I just feel like they could have done more? 

I'm not too down though.  I've always loved Storm Troopers and now, finally, they actually work well.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:59:10 PM by Land Rover Tangi »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Thoughts on the Astra Militarum Codex
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 08:38:31 PM »
I think it's a reasonable book--not a big departure from the last one, but that's okay. They brought a few things into line, added a couple units--nothing to complain about from me.

The fluff in all of the most recent codexes, in my opinion, has been a big step up from previous editions. They've changed some things around, sure, but on the whole I've liked it.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Thoughts on the Militarum Tempestus Codex
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »
My apologies.  I had this thread down as the ordinary codex (which I've had for months and am reasonably happy with) when I meant to talk about the Militarum Tempestus Codex.  Sorry, my bad.  :P

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 03:45:28 PM »
Oh! In that case, I've got that one, too.

I love the fluff, as mentioned, and the models look pretty sweet. My only problem is ultimately it's utility as a stand-alone book. They basically *have* to work as allies with somebody or they just won't have the tools to be an effective list. Taurox Prime, while cool, can't sustain the kind of firepower they take if they're the only vehicles on the board, and Valkyrie-only armies need to have units on the board Turn 1 to remain relevant, and that's pretty hard to do, too.

I still want to figure out a way to do the Tempestus with =I= allies effectively, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 04:45:05 PM »
Oh! In that case, I've got that one, too.

I pretty much agree with you about the vanilla guard Codex.  It's a good improvement over the last (which was already good).  Sure, there's still some bits niggling away at me (Hydras need Interceptor imo for example) but on the whole it's solid.

I love the fluff, as mentioned, and the models look pretty sweet. My only problem is ultimately it's utility as a stand-alone book. They basically *have* to work as allies with somebody or they just won't have the tools to be an effective list. Taurox Prime, while cool, can't sustain the kind of firepower they take if they're the only vehicles on the board, and Valkyrie-only armies need to have units on the board Turn 1 to remain relevant, and that's pretty hard to do, too.

Yep, I love the fluff too, and those models are jaw dropping.  I can't wait to get some.  But yeah, as a stand alone army, they just can't make it.  Tauroxes are glass hammers, Valkyrie's are tricky to use, and at the end of the day, Scions are still only human.  The army feels like the DE in a way; fast and hard hitting but fragile as hell.

I hope in the future they add more units.  Like Drop Sentinels. :D

I still want to figure out a way to do the Tempestus with =I= allies effectively, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I think arco-flagellants in Land Raiders would be a good line backer to spearhead an assault or plug a gap in your lines.  And an Inquisitor is obviously a good way to get some physic backup on board.

Offline Caustic

• Castellan Cawww!
  • Armies: Salamanders, 1k Sons & Daemons, Hochland Empire.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »
I don't know how the new Inquisition stacks up (haven't bought that codex yet) but imo Militarum Tempestus is a solid addition to the Imperial Guard and the ability to run Storm Troopers as Troops is not a capability to be ignored.  That being said, I view it as an addition and not really as a stand alone army. On its own the book would have some serious flaws, namely the fact you lose pretty much all the heavy tanks, artillery, and horde infantry in the book and replace it with... a new order table?

The part of the book that sticks out to me rules wise though is the formations for Taurox and Valkyrie Assault wings which can be quite reliable in regards to reserves and give some interesting free rules if you are willing to shell out the points for the complete package.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
I don't know how the new Inquisition stacks up (haven't bought that codex yet) but imo Militarum Tempestus is a solid addition to the Imperial Guard and the ability to run Storm Troopers as Troops is not a capability to be ignored.  That being said, I view it as an addition and not really as a stand alone army. On its own the book would have some serious flaws, namely the fact you lose pretty much all the heavy tanks, artillery, and horde infantry in the book and replace it with... a new order table?

That's what I think too.  Yes, being able to take Storm Troopers as Troops is great, but you lose all the things a fully fledged army would need to function.  And that order table.  Yes, they're good, but I also feel that it could have been better.  'Close Assault Doctrine' for example is a bit of a joke.  And where is the vital 'Get Back Into The Fight!' equivalent too?

I'm already looking to write my own Scion Orders. :P

Hopefully in the future GW will flesh the Scions out into a fully fledged army.  It would be a great way to get lots of Call Of Duty style goodness into 40k.