News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 starter army  (Read 888 times)

Offline swingliner

• Rules Lawyer, Devils Advocate, etc.
1500 starter army
« on: May 8, 2011, 11:51:01 AM »
I'm a convert over from Green Tide Orks, so I'm giving something a bit smaller and more mobile a try.  I've had good luck so far, but I'm only a few games in so luck could be all it is.  Anyway, here it is, base C:SM:
Captain w/Jump Pack, Combi-Melta, Relic Blade: 165 pts
5 Terminators, w/Heavy Flamer: 205 pts
6 Assault Marines, w/Power Weapon, meltabombs on Sgt, flamer: 148 Pts
Squad Tankus Bustius: Tac Squad w/Missile, Melta, Power Fist, Teleport Homer, Rhino: 250 pts
Squad Armorus Penetratus: Tac Squad w/Lascan, Plasma, Power Fist, Teleport Homer, Rhino: 265pts
Squad Infantrus Killus: Tac Squad w/Heavy Bolter, Flamer, Power Fist, Storm Bolter, Teleport Homer, Rhino: 255pts
Vindicator w/Siege Shield: 125 pts
Whirlwind:85 pts
Total: 1498

The basic strategy is to have the tac squads focusing on their designated targets, combat squad-ing where necessary.  The jump packers take out targets of opportunity (tanks, ranged units, shooting-depleted cc units, etc.).  The terminators deep strike in using the teleport homers to apply focused pressure on any enemies that are getting too close.  So what do y'all think?  Any suggested tweaks or missing bases to cover?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2011, 12:08:22 PM by swingliner »

Offline Explosivo111

• So what if my marines like gentle spanking?
Re: 1500 starter army
« Reply #1 on: May 9, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »
Looks like a pretty solid list if you ask me :)
Just a few changes that i, personally, prefer with my vanilla marines

Swap the Terminators for Assault terminators. People will tell you these are useless without a landraider but its never failed me. Just take the risk and deep strike them in close. Placed correctly they can survive one turn of shooting and will devistate most squads on the turn they assault.

Maybe change a tactical squad for a 10 man scout squad with snipers and tellion. Pop these in some cover and you've got a great little squad that potentially, with rending, can kill most units.

My only worry with the tactical squads ins that the lascannon etc won't get used. Unless you combat squad each game.

Also save some points by only giving one squad a teleport homer and make sure they are the ones you get into a good position. Unless you find you have the points spare of course.

But again this is just how i prefer to play. You seem to have all things covered. Keep your whirlwind at the back blasting any horde units. Get the vindicator into position and pelt heavily armoured squads. Deep strike as much as you can, and keep the rhinos moving and you've got a really fast moving army.

May the Emperor guide you :) and keep purging those xenos
Explosivo

Offline Hells Honor

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:07:01 PM »
I like what Explosivo111 was saying, especially the part about the lascannon. I've run tons of games where my tac squads with lascannons could never get good shots off.

One thing i would say thought is, and this is only if you are serious about assaulting and don't mind spending a few points on it, swap your assault squad out for vanguard. The heroic intervention special rule makes them great for nocking out anything you need right away, allowing your termis and squads to focus on more important threats.
And They Shall Know No Fear

Offline swingliner

• Rules Lawyer, Devils Advocate, etc.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 12:53:58 PM »
Hmm, I like the idea of swapping out a tac squad for some scouts.  Probably replace Squad Infantrus, since snipers+heavy bolter+tellion cover basically the same role.  That plus losing Penetratus' homer gives me some points to play around with, so I'll try proxying a multi-melta bike and giving the captain an auxiliary grenade launcher, cause it always annoyed the crap out of me that he could only use his wonderful BS 5 once in a game.  Will let you know how it goes!

Offline Explosivo111

• So what if my marines like gentle spanking?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 04:27:29 PM »
so I'll try proxying a multi-melta bike

3 attack bikes with multi melta sidecars will DESTROY any tank you opponent sends your way. Its great to watch a chaos players expression as you destroy his 250 point land raider on turn 1 with a 150 point bike squad. :)

Offline maturin

• A Yank in a strange land...
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
Swingliner,

I'm going to disagree with the advice given so far and say you don't need to change much in your list.  Of course, it depends on what your vision for your is will be, but....

I don't think you should swap out a tac squad for scouts, because you lose the rhino.  And in your list, having as many rhinos as possible to screen for your assault squad, captain, and termies will be important in giving them cover save from enemy plasma fire.  I would change the heavy bolter (never been a fan of a single HB) for a ML, as that will increase your long-range anti tank and still offer anti-horde capability.  And it's free - nothing lost if you decide not to combat squad.

I'd keep your termies with HF - your list is nicely designed to capitalize on them getting into the perfect position through the use of teleport homers - so a great reason to get as many homers in as possible and keep your options open - and keep your opponent guessing where those terminators are going to arrive.  If you leave yourself only one or two homers then your opponent can more easily position himself take your termies down when they arrive.

I agree an attack bike would be a very useful addition.  Since you have a decent amount of counter-assault with your captain/assault marines/termies, I'd drop your all of your powerfists to make room for an attack bike and a half.  Replace your plasmagun with a flamer, and drop the combimelta and meltabombs - and you've got yourself another attack bike.  Another attack bike is definitely more useful than the items you've replaced as it gives your opponent another unit he'll have to shoot (at T5 and 2 wounds!), as well as increasing the threat you pose.

You'll have to rename the third squad to "All-purposius" though.  ;)

Nice list!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:49:53 AM by maturin »