News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Imperator Emperor-class Titan  (Read 8268 times)

Offline Col. Xanith

Imperator Emperor-class Titan
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:06:58 PM »
Project: Imperator Emperor-class Titan
Progress: [ Design Phase / Basic Structure ]
Pictures:

NEW

Original Thread
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know this is an ambitious project and I have done some scratch builds in the past all of them very small in the scope I am talking about. I have seen from the great people here all taking up nice projects. And i wanna join in but at the same time i don't want to build something that everyone else is building at the moment. I wish to build a Imperator Emperor-class Titan or a Warmonger Titan but I need some good pics as the only ones i have are out of the old game Final Liberation

all my pasticard will be arriving within the week and i want to get a jump start on my plans and layout.

Thanks Col. Xanith
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 08:32:45 PM by Col. Xanith »

Offline Thlaylie

Re: Imperator Emperor-class Titan
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:38:27 PM »
 Have you seen pics of the Imperator Titans? That little gun on the very top? That's a Defense Laser or what is now called a Volcano Cannon which is a Warlord Titan's entire arm. I believe an Epic scale Imperator would be 60 inches tall. A 40K Imperator would be... a House.

Sadly the plastic model is not in scale with the other models.

Offline Mad Dok Brown

• Ork Boy
  • Crazy Gitz are the ones pressing all the buttons.
    • thebattlebunker forum
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:44:16 AM »
Theres a couple well known Imperators, one is the infamous Plunger Imperator which is a behemoth at 6 ft tall, a true wonder to the 40k world. The next is a little less complex Dreamforge Titan templates for this design were done by Armorbimbo (AFIK) and the templates are still floating around. And I strongly suggest when embarking on a possible half-a-year build like this that you go with templates, if you're off by an inch on a 6ft titan, you'll notice.

Offline Arstahd

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:08:36 AM »
Have you seen pics of the Imperator Titans? That little gun on the very top? That's a Defense Laser or what is now called a Volcano Cannon which is a Warlord Titan's entire arm. I believe an Epic scale Imperator would be 60 inches tall. A 40K Imperator would be... a House.

Sadly the plastic model is not in scale with the other models.
Yeah, but the Imperator's Volcano Cannon is smaller than a Warlord's in the same way that a devastator marine's lascannon is smaller than a leman russ's.  The Imperator has the top of the line model, smaller package, same punch. 

With a 40k Warlord coming in at around 2 feet tall, an Imperator should be about 5 feet.  Thlaylie, are saying that the epic scale Imperator should be 5 feet tall?!?  What are you smoking?  How did you come up with this figure?

Offline Admiral Stukov

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 01:28:57 AM »
Thnank god for wikipedia then. Weighing in at an austonishing 100 metres high(aprox), and able to tranport entire battle companies to assault in their leg departments, these bad boys are 63 inches tall. Gl Hf dude.

edit
this is apoximate as it says a warlord is 40% the size of a imperator, in my construction of a warlord i have concluded it to be 28.5 inches of hieght(40 metres)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:31:55 AM by TechMarine OnBike wth LC »

“Okay, so basically, be afraid of everything…” I said, panting. Just helping a Space Marine stand was hard work.

“Hey, you’re a Guardsman…” began Saladin, snidely. “You’re should already be afraid of everything!”

Offline Col. Xanith

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 05:47:41 AM »
wow the plunger titan is massive and the dreamforge looks to be the size i want o build is there any detailed pics i could also use?

Offline Arstahd

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 03:13:22 PM »
wow the plunger titan is massive and the dreamforge looks to be the size i want o build is there any detailed pics i could also use?

The plunger titan actually looks a tad small for an Imperator, only about 4 feet tall. The dreamforge one isn't even close, maybe 2 1/2 feet.

Sounds to me that a Warlord titan is more what you're looking a building.

Offline Mad Dok Brown

• Ork Boy
    • thebattlebunker forum
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 03:38:06 PM »
Sure, in fact Dreamforge is the name of a short-lived company that made those titans, there were a couple versions and very few made. The company has basically become dead (at least thats what I assume from the website). Heres a few WiP pics of one of the Leviathan Mortis titans from DF.

The plunger titan actually looks a tad small for an Imperator, only about 4 feet tall. The dreamforge one isn't even close, maybe 2 1/2 feet.

Sounds to me that a Warlord titan is more what you're looking a building.
I beg to differ, check the WiP pictures above, the DF is about 4ft I estimate. Although I will say that Warlords are a bit more common and definitely easier to make with virtually no curved surfaces and very boxy design. 

Offline Col. Xanith

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 04:33:33 PM »
Well after a long period of research plus googling ive found that the titans all of them are differnt sizes even if there the same class. because of this i think when im finished with my model im guessing its gonna be between 3-4 ft high  Right now i have sketches of the frame i will employ im gona go with steel frame, the steel weighs in total about 1-2 lbs  but after i weild it all togather i will take pics and post it. hopefuly i can have that done before my nice order of plasticard comes. I hope 2 sheets of 48 X 96  at .60 and 1 sheet of 48 x 96 at .10 will be enough.

i will scartch build everything but the IG men who will man it.

Offline Arstahd

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 05:28:01 PM »
I beg to differ, check the WiP pictures above, the DF is about 4ft I estimate. Although I will say that Warlords are a bit more common and definitely easier to make with virtually no curved surfaces and very boxy design. 
3 foot tops.  The warhound next to it is less than 12" and it looks to be just over 3x the warhounds height.

I dug up my epic imperator and after making some comparisons have come to agree with the 4" height that Mike Biasi came up with for his version (the plunger one).

Offline Thlaylie

« Reply #10 on: January 1, 2008, 06:03:10 AM »
 Forgeworld 40K Warhound Titan is 10.5" tall (says so on website). Their Epic Warhound is 1.5" tall. GW Warlord= 2.75" tall.
2.75/1.5= 18.3333333333333333 3333333333333 X Forgeworld 40k Warhound 10.5"= 19.25" Warlord Titan. This equation also has the 2" tall Epic Reaver coming out to 14" tall in 40K. They just released it and it's 14" tall!
This will be our measure.

The little Defense Laser is .5" long, The Warlord's Volcano Cannon is 1.5" long or the height of the Epic Warhound, so that little gun will be 10.5" in 40K. I guess this is doable in 40K.

Anyone doubting the Defense Laser bit just has to compare it to the MK I Warlord Titan's Defense Laser, they are identical weapons with the Imperator's in a Basilisk type turret mount. It is also listed as a Defense Laser in the Imperator's profile. :P 8)

Offline Col. Xanith

« Reply #11 on: January 1, 2008, 08:35:03 AM »
well this is what i got so far.

12" for the legs
18" for the torso
6" for the main cathedral
8" for the towers

so i am looking at 3 feet 8"
tho i think when im done it will be a bit taller

Offline Arstahd

« Reply #12 on: January 1, 2008, 02:18:06 PM »
well this is what i got so far.

12" for the legs
18" for the torso
6" for the main cathedral
8" for the towers

so i am looking at 3 feet 8"
tho i think when im done it will be a bit taller

Your numbers don't seem right.  The legs are too short, while the torso is too long.  I think it would look better if those numbers were reversed.  The catherdral and towers are going to add to the torso size and the legs will look very stumpy otherwise.

The little Defense Laser is .5" long, The Warlord's Volcano Cannon is 1.5" long or the height of the Epic Warhound, so that little gun will be 10.5" in 40K. I guess this is doable in 40K.
Why are you ignoring the fact that the Imperator's DL is half the size of a Warlord's?  Different versions of a similar weapon can, and do, have vastly different sizes. 

Offline Col. Xanith

« Reply #13 on: January 1, 2008, 02:50:51 PM »
well i put some pics up of the mockup frame its located on the fisrt thread , thats were i will be keeping all my images at. right now both the legs and torso leght are 16" plus a few extra inches from the joints. when im dont it will look like the legs are longer as the torso section will be small comparied to the legs and the catherdral

Offline Arstahd

« Reply #14 on: January 1, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »
well i put some pics up of the mockup frame its located on the fisrt thread , thats were i will be keeping all my images at. right now both the legs and torso leght are 16" plus a few extra inches from the joints. when im dont it will look like the legs are longer as the torso section will be small comparied to the legs and the catherdral

The legs still look a touch short, do you have a pic that is taken fron a more horizontal angle?

Did you glue yet?  If not, you may want to flip the pelvis joint piece. As it is, it looks as if your titan has a third leg  ;).

Offline Col. Xanith

« Reply #15 on: January 1, 2008, 04:17:53 PM »
no it doesnt have a thrid leg and it is taken from an angle, nothing is glued yet its  just a mockup of the frame, the arm joints i plan on using magnets to hold the weapons. but it looks odd right now because its just the frame it will take shape when i start adding the rest of the structure

Offline Arstahd

« Reply #16 on: January 1, 2008, 08:43:41 PM »
no it doesnt have a thrid leg

I was making a joke on how it resembles having male genitalia.  If you flip that piece there won't be as much hanging down is what I was getting at.

Offline Col. Xanith

« Reply #17 on: January 1, 2008, 08:48:49 PM »
oh... :D but after putting the wood platform ontop i have decided to increas the legs by 3 more inches and also bringing the legs 2 more inches closer togather. i did a paper mockup of a few things and the way it is now as you pointed out its off.

Offline Thlaylie

« Reply #18 on: January 3, 2008, 05:38:36 AM »
 OK, did some measuring and calculating:

Imperator Titan Defense Laser is 7/8" long or .875"
 Epic Defense Laser is 1.5" long
(from MK I Warlord Titan Adepticus Titanicus game)
 (1.5" divided by .875" = X1.7142857)
 Multiply the Imperator model's height of 5.25" by this and you get a modest 8.9999999" tall Epic Imperator Titan.

Divide this by the Forgeworld 1.5" tall Epic Warhound and you get X5.9999999
 Multiplied by the Warhound's Forgeworld 40K cousin's height of 10.5" and we get:

A 40K Imperator Titan standing 62.999998" tall! That toilet plunger model is probably the correct height.

For grins lets assume the plastic Imperator is the correct height at 5.25" tall due to some miracle of miniaturation of it's Defense Laser. Divide this height again by the Epic Warhounds and we get X3.5. Multiplied by the 40K Warhound's height and we get a 36.75" tall Imperator. Kinda puny for housing all those platoons it's supposed to.

Offline Mad Dok Brown

• Ork Boy
    • thebattlebunker forum
« Reply #19 on: January 3, 2008, 12:18:56 PM »
Or you could go the other way, if a Space Marine in 10ish ft tall, 3.5meters to round it off, and the fluff says that an Imperator is 100 meters tall, and assuming a SM is 1.5" then the Imperator should be about 43" tall. So if you figure the titan has 16" tall legs then you could stuff about 100 in one leg alone, and thats about the size of a battle company i assume.