News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Iyanden Silver Ghosts take on the Green Tide! (Now + Chaos & BA!)  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
   Greeting you all and welcome to my first batrep with Pics, yes Ladies and Gentlemen, there it is, the all new and shinny Silver Ghosts Improved Batrep! (And now for the bad news: The pics could have been better but bear with me, there's always place for improvement.)

Now this is a special treat for me for two reasons:

-First because I didn't have the chance to play Orks since about six years ago (where I lost badly) so there was somewhat of a thrill building up for that one. :)
   The Ork player (which I will refer as Dan) is also somewhat of a newcomer at the LGC and a real Orky guy to play (as witnessed in a game of Apocalypse: Stompa time!) but again i really didn't know what I was going to face, especially with these Orks as they can actually well, ahem, in the near future at least be quite shooty or CC geared at the owner's choice.

-Second because I just had my Maugan Phoenix Lord painted and wanted to try him up ( For fun factor as well as to keep up a Promise ;)), hence the unusual choice of Reapers in my force to keep up with fluff.

The Game: Seek & Destroy, Gamma level, 1850 Pts.

The Contendants: Silver Ghosts VS Orks!

Silver Ghosts Task Force (The Good Guys): 1 850 Pts

HQ: 363 Pts
   -Maugan Ra, the Harvester of Souls (Green Souls today :P).
   -Farseer with Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones, Fortune, Doom, Mind War, Singing Spear.

ELITE: 204 Pts
   -Harlequins X 8, Shadowseer, Death Jester, Harlequin Kisses X 6.

TROOPS: 678 Pts
   -Wraithguard (AKA Landguard) X 10, Spiritseer with Conceal.
   -Pathfinders X 6.
   -Guardian Defenders X 11, Warlock with Embolden, 1 Eldar Missile Launcher.

HEAVY: 387 Pts
   -Wraithlord (AKA Lancelord) with Brightlance & Eldar Missile Launcher.
   -Dark Reapers X 4, Exarch with Tempest Launcher and Crack Shot.
   -Vibrocannon X 1 with crew.

FAST: 218 PTS
   -Warp Spiders X 8, Exarch with Dual Spinner, Powerblades and Withdraw.

Da Green Tide (The Baddies): 1844 Pts

HQ: 180 Pts
   -Big Meks with Shokk Attack Gun.
   -Warphead.

ELITE: 305 Pts
   -Lootas X 9, 1 Meks.
   -Tankbustas X 9, Nob with Powerklaw, 2 Bomb Squig.

TROOPS: 734 Pts
   -Boys Mob X 30, Nob with Powerklaw, 3 Big Shoota.
   -Boys Mob X 16, Heavy Armor, Nob with Powerklaw and Bosspole, 2 Big Shoota.
   -Boys Mob X 12, Nob with Big Choppa, 1 Big Shoota, Trukk.
   -Boys Mob X 12, Nob with Big Choppa, 1 Big Shoota, Trukk.

HEAVY: 430 Pts
   -Battle Wagon with Kilkannon, 4 Big Shootas and 'Ard Case.
   -Killa Kans X 3, all with Rokkit Launcha.
   -Zzzap Guns X 3 with crew and 3 Grot ammos.

FAST: 195 Pts
   -Deffkoptas X 5, 3 Twin-linked Big Shoota, 2 Twin-linked Rokkit Launcha.

Note that I'm used to play Tau, SMurfs, Necrons, Mech Guard and Eldar so I felt a bit outnumbered (like a 3:1 ratio!) there but hey! :D

DEPLOYMENT:
   Dan won the roll for choosing side and denied me the best cover, which make sense after all but I won the roll for first turn and took it (not necessarily the best move I ever made, since most of my force was in or behind cover to begin with. Oh well.)

After seeing my deployment, the Ork player decided Eldar were cowards. ;D You can also see the Deffkoptas's scout move behind the central hill.

There was so many AP3/2 death in the Ork force that I didn't dare to deploy anything in the open, which forced me into a corner deployment, not the bad a thing since he couldn't take me into pincer.
   On the other hand, that left my Vibrocannon and Defender squad unsupported on the right but since they were hidden and nothing fast was near them I didn't feel too preoccupied about it.
   The thing is, when I told Dan how the V-cannon worked, he got scared for his Trukks and ended up mirroring my own deployment and making it easier for my own short ranged guns.
Note 1: It happens that I hadn't some of my models with me, so I had to proxy two Spiders with Scorpions and the Vibrocannon with a Falcon turret. Also not that the Brightlance in the Defender squad is actually a EML.

Note 2: Proxy Ork side: Sentinels = Killa Kans, Warbikes = Deffcoptas and IG Lascannons = Zzzap Guns!

Note 3: I took the Deployment pic after having moved the Landguard and Harlies forward (oh the shame  :-[).

---TURN 1---

Eldar: Under the Farseer Fortuned protection the Landguard, the Phoenix Lord amidst them, advanced through the woods flanked by the Harlies and Ra opened fire on the Trukk on the far left but his Maugetar proved unable to damage the transport.
   Advancing in along the Pathfinders the heavy bushes, the Lancelord succeeded at destroying the Battlewagon's Killkannon and stun the beast.
   The Dark Reapers and Pathfinders did their best against the Zzzap Gun battery partially hidden behind the hill but achieved little, destroying a Zzzap Gun and killing two of the crew.
   On the right flank, both Vibrocannon's crew and Defender squad performed better, a Crack Missile Shaking a Killa Kan and the Vibro weapon aiming at the distant DeffKopta unit, downing one and pinning the unit!

Orks!: The Green tide began it's advance, beginning with the huge Boys Mob struggling thought the woods and Killa Kans on the right who managed to kill a lone Guardian with a Rokkit.
   On the left, all Orks moved en masse forward, including the Zzzap Gun battery on the hill's top to gain LOS for the next turn, the Trukks going 12" and using their Big Shootas on the Pathfinders but missing wildly.
   The exceptions were the Battlewagon who made a full 12" to contact the Meks in the Loota squad (who promptly repaired the Killkannon. Damn!), the Pinned Deffkoptas and the Big Meks who shot his Shokk Attack Gun into the Wraithguard, the  squigs eating one of the constructs.
   Oh, and the Warphead lost a wound through a Peril of the Warp attack after a failed Psychic Test due to the Farseer's Runes of Warding. Trying to compete psychically with Eldar? You are welcome, thank you very much. :D

His endturn looked like this:

---TURN 2---

Eldar: The Fortuned Landguard moved a meager 4 inches through the wood, the Warp Spiders jumping along them, Maugan Ra guided their aim unto the Trukk facing them, blowing it up in a huge fireball and incinerating 4 of the Boys and all the Zzzap Guns crew! Meanwhile, the Spiders accounted for 5 of the entangled Trukk's passengers but only jumped back a miserable 3 inches into the forest, losing one of their own to the dangerous ground.
   Further between the dense trees, and in the following order, the Lancelord, Reapers and in desperation, Pathfinders fail to destroy the second speeding Trukk, though the grizzled scouts managed to Stun it for a turn.
   On the battlefield's right side, the Vibrocannon fared better and succeeded to Shake one Killa Kan and Immobilise another. Woot!
   The Defender followed up with another Crack Missile and torn ed off a Rockkit Launcha from the frame of the first Kan.
   Things were looking well so far.

Orks!: Straigth at the beginning, the Warphead get eaten by a Deamon. Ah!
   The bulk of the Ork force move forward except for the Stunned Trukk, Big Meks and Lootas in their corner who fail miserably to bring down any Wraithguard with their Deffkannons as well as the Boys Mob's Big Shootas, massing behind the Stunned Trukk.
   On the other hand, the combined fire of the Big Meks Shokk Attack Gun, Tankbusta Rokkits (now in range/LOS) and Battlewagon's Killkannon downed a whole 5 of the Fortuned Wraithguards along with 4 Warp Spiders caught in the crossfire (Blastmarkers). Crap.
   The Spiders got double 6s on their Moral Check and fell back, never to be seen again. Double crap.
   On the right, the unpinned and advancing Deffkoptas blew 3 Guardians out of their boots along one of the Platform's gunner from a Killa Kan's well placed Rokkit. Then I almost thanked Khaine on the knees for the insight of Embolden. 8)

The end of turn two looked like this: The right flank like this:

---TURN 3---

Eldar: The Farseer Fortuned the Wraithguard and Doomed! the Tankbustas. Payback time!
   The Landguard reformed and advanced under the Phoenix Lord guidance and, along with the Pathfinders, exterminated 8 out 9 of the brutes, leaving only the Nob standing in a red mist.
   On their left and outrunning them, the Harlequins rammed into the three surviving Boys cowering beside the burning wreck of their Trukk (well, in reality only two of them were engaged, namely the DJ and the other fellow without a Kiss) but killed only one Boy and lost two of their own to the counterstrike. Urrrk!
   Still partially hidden behind the forest, the followers of the Harvester of Souls miserably failed to do any damage to the Trukk which mean that the Lancelord had no other choice but target the Orky transport (thus neglecting his own primary target: the Battlewagon) and explode it into a flaming wreck, the blast killing a whopping 6 Boys and Entangling them! :o

On the right, the Vibrocannon target the nicely lined Killa Kans, Immobilising the First, and destroying the only mobile one left which happened to be the center one thus eliminating the further, also an immobilised one due to broken off coherency!
   The Defenders managed to land a Plasma Missile in the midst of the advancing Mob of 30 Orks and burned one. (I then learned that orks over 11 models get Fearless: No pinning for me!).

End of Eldar turn three (I totally forgot to take a pic after the Ork endturn. Heh!)

Orks!: Except the Battlewagon, Lootas and Big Meks all that could moved forward (which mean the huge Mob toward the right corner, the Deffkoptas turning left to confront the biggest threat and the 16 strong Boys Mob who got in hiding behind the newly wrecked Trukk and shot with all they've got at the Pathfinders and kill one. Enhanced cover saves FTW!
   Dan also declared his Waagh! and Fleeted his huge mob further forward toward the Vibrocannon.
   In shooting, the Deffkoptas downed a lone Dark Reaper, followed suit by the Big Meks' Shokk Attack Gun who disposed two of the Landguard and the Spiritseer. :'( (I had no choice due to scattered coherency) but the Battlewagon's Killkannon scattered badly and the Big Shootas had no effect whatsoever.
   The Lootas, even with a impressive 18 STR 7 hits only managed to bring down a single Wraithguard: Maugan Ra had to take saves but managed them all (Not that there was much left after that: Two + the PL: -\). Defying the odds!?

In assault, the lone Nob from the Tankbusta charged the Harlies and massacred one while they concentrated in finishing off the two survivors from the Trukk Boys, ending the fight and overrunning the surviving Nob. They Massacre Moved 2" toward the 16 Boys Mob, ending the third turn.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2007, 03:18:20 AM by Starrakatt, the Sniggering Jester »

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
Re: The Iyanden Silver Ghosts take on the Green Tide! (Now with pics!)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 10:00:19 AM »
---TURN 4---

Eldar: The Farseer now Fortune the Pathfinders and Doom the 16 Boys Mob for a subsequent charge. Things would get bloody real soon!
   In shooting the Lancelord tried to bag in two Deffkoptas with his instakill weapons but miserably failed to hit. The Followers of Ra managed to Reap 2 wounds off the squad though (The Exarch kept his trend of missing).
   From their cover, the Pathfinders sniped 2 of the still Entangled Boys.

All the while, Ra lead the Landguard in a charge into the Ork Mob while the Harlequins stroke on the flank, managing to fell 8 of the Doomed Boys between them all but one servant of the Laughing God bit the dust under a heavy blow, leaving only four of the wardancers. Despite reeling under the onslaught the Orks held their ground.

On the right, shooting is totally ineffectual (as that were bound to happen eventually...)

Pile in time!

Orks!: On the right the 29 Boys Mob advanced toward the hiding Eldar and the Big Mek repositioned himself for CC was blocking any LOS/and or keep distance between him and the Hit & Run Harlies move. The Deffkoptas closed toward the Eldar line and opened fire on the exposed Reapers. When the smoke cleared, none of them had fell, Woot!
   Assisted by the Battlewagon firepower, the Lootas opened up on the Pathfinders with a flurry of AC shots only to see them succeed all their 10 (Fortuned) saves!
   On the right, the immobilised Killa Kan shot the second EML platform's gunner.

The 4 surviving Trukk Boys joined the fray and casualties began to pile up: No less than 3 of the deadly Harlequins bit the dust but they themselves brought down 5 of the brutes before going down while the Wraith construct managed little but received some heavy hits that failed to damage them.
   Maugan Ra, the mighty Phoenix Lord, many times reborn, whirled and reaped two of the greenskins under his Maugetar before being felled, struck in the back by a heavy Powerklaw hits! :'(
   Under the carnage, the surviving Boys from both units fell back before the Eldar thirst for vengeance for that traitorous blow, but managed to escape being overrun. Who said Orks were slow? ;D

Sorry, no pics for Endturn 4: Close Combat Fever!

---TURN 5---

Eldar: The Venerable Farseer Doomed the speeding Deffkoptas. He then frowned, looking at his Casting Runes and mumbled: "beslubber me. And Damn be GW. Snake Eyes..." and breaking all laws of known Physic he promptly swallowed his own head... :o

Before the horrific fate of the Farseer (and with no Fortune to protect them against further shooting) the 5 Pathfinders backed up behind the forested area and added their Shuriken pistol fire to the angered Dark Reapers to obliterate the remaining Koptas.

Meanwhile up north, the remaining Harlequin decided that cowardice was the better part of valor and began to leg it toward the Iyanden battleline. The two surviving Landguard, overcoming their loss, closed upon the towering Ork Battlewagon and ripped a hole in the space/time fabric that ripped off the Killkannon and Stunned the thing!
   The Wraithlord, who had come out of cover to confront the Deffkoptas were shooting to fail missed both hits (again!) VS the sturdy Ork tank.

On the battlefield's right side, the Vibrocannon succeeded to hit both the closing Ork Mob and the Immobilised Killa Kan, killing two Boys and Shaking the battered walker. The Warlock, with only two Guardian remaining in his command, decided that attack was the best defense and jumped the Kan, provoking an explosion that engulfed two greenskins and one Defender.

Orks!: The fleeing Orks continued to fall back, peppering the Wraithguard all along but failing to wound them.
   The Lootas, having no LOS whatsoever tried to make it to the Battlewagon, hoping for the Meks to repair it but were a bit too far.
   The 25 Boys finally entered the woods and reduced the Vibrocannon and it's servant to Swiss cheese.
   The Big Mek, noticing the Wraithlord striding out of cover aimed his Shokk Attakk Gun at him but the fickle weapon misfired to an unexpected effect: Sensing an angry battering at his lower legs, the mighty Lancelord looked down upon the enraged Big Mek striking him repetitively with the useless gun.
   He just lifted a foot and stepped down. A little slowly maybe. But firmly. Splat. :P

Endturn 5 looked like this (recovered from Ra's loss by now...)

---TURN 6---

Eldar & Orks: Mop up duty really. Orks continued to fall back.
   Both the Landguard and Lancelord managed their stupidity, the Wraithlord sniping two Boys from the horde on the right and the two Wraithguard reducing the Battlewagon to a pile of Junk. Yeah!
   Lootas, Reapers and Pathfinders had no target whatsoever and all stayed wisely hidden.

On the right and facing imminent extermination the Warlock and last Defender shot and charged the Ork Mob disposing of three before being dragged down under sheer numbers.

Endturn 6 and Endgame. ;)
Sheep time!

Hope you enjoyed!

RESULTS:
-Silver Ghosts: 1 464 VPs
-Da Green Tide: 1 171 Vps
   A Solid Victory for the Silver Ghosts! (Woot, but that was a close one :))

Conclusion: I remember a comment I read somewhere (probably in the BGB or WD): "If Orks were someday unite, there would be no one able to oppose  them."
   Well, I now have my own saying: "If Orks someday actually learned to aim, there would be no one left standing to oppose them."

I've rarely seen any army pack that much firepower (and still be dangerous in CC). There was also so much AP2/3/4 ranged death all over the place that it was scary.
   Which in turn lead me to do stupid things.  :D

With hindsight, I should have deployed things a bit differently, beginning with the Warp Spiders that should have been deployed with the Vivrocannon and Guardians on the right for all the good they did on the left.
   I was also too eager to use them, I should just have waited third or fourth turn before bringing them out. As it was, they just died uselessly.

That deployment was much too cramped too, I should have stretched more the Wraithguard on the right to give a less easy pick for Pie Plates.

The Reaper Exarch was almost a total waste: He only managed to kill 2 Orks and two of the Zzzap Gun crew in the entire game. ??? If I was to do it again I would give him his usual EML and Fast Shot: BS 5 Crack Missiles are always fashionable. Or Guide the squad. I'm still not convinced by the Tempest Launcher.

Farseer: Hep, exploding psychers FTW! OTOH, both the Warphead and Big Mek suffered  similar unlucky fates so it's okay for me.

About MR. Ra: The guy was great. Really. While piling in, I faced the choice to either put the Wraithguard in contact with the Klaw or the Phoenix Lord. I opted to the PL because of his three wounds and the possibility for him to clear his kill zone, which he failed. But then Dan had also good rolling with three attacks hitting and wounding him. ;)
   What I'd change is the Harlies' charging angle: their assault should have come from the same side as the WG and PL. Standing side-by-side they would have easily cleared their kill zone and dispatched the Powerklaw.
   That's a thing I'll remember for sure.

A side note here: After hitting/wounding Ra with 3 Klaw attacks, he himself was horrified at the lack of INV save, especially after inquiring of his cost. Lol!

Oh, I was also too eager to engage with the Harlies. That stupid turn 3 charge could have spelled their untimely doom had I actually wiped these Orks, leaving them with only the Wrecked Trukk as cover.

Also on the right side: Except for the last destroyed in CC that actually exploded, the others were only wrecked but were actally removed without much thought. Maybe could they have provided enough cover for the Warlock/Guardian to hide behind, thus avoiding certain death.
   We will never know for sure though. ;)

Overall my army operated well, the Wraithguard eating practically every AT as well as smaller weaponry fire the Orks could bring on them for three full turn AND blow the Battlewagon (though being severely depleted as an effective unit: Guess I've been lucky)! [shake head] 8)
   I cannot say I'm dissatisfied with them.

Starky

P.S.: I still need to work on the pics size. ;)

P.P.S.: Maybe a bit long too...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:29:01 AM by Starrakatt, the Sniggering Jester »

Yes you are being dense.

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 11:01:16 AM »
Looks like it was a very fun game :)
I didnt realize you were playing the new orks, that makes it even more interesting!

They are certainly competetive, perhaps overpowered in some ways. in any case, they are very fun to play against :) (I managed to win one vs them due to a mistimed waagh)

Too bad the warpspiders didnt do much, they are usually the antidote for orks.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 12:06:59 PM »
Does this, then, mean the new codex for Orks is out? Or were you playing off of rumors?

In either case, it looked like a fun game. I love playing the Orks--almsot never winds up being boring. Well, unless I'm playing Ksons.

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
Neat game. A few things:

I then learned that orks over 11 models get Fearless: No pinning for me!).

Last I checked, "fearless" meant "don't have to take morale checks" not "dont' have to take any check that relies on the leadership stat".

Morale checks are morale checks, target priority tests are target priority tests, and pinning tests are pinning tests. Note that you can even do things like pin space marines (ATSKNF only counts for regrouping from a failed morale test, not pinning).

Farseer: Hep, exploding psychers FTW! OTOH, both the Warphead and Big Mek suffered  similar unlucky fates so it's okay for me.

I wouldn't feel too bad that he exploxded, given how incredibly useful he was during this game.

As well, for your ork player "Dan": Stop being so stupid around vibro cannons. I mean, you told him at the beginning that the weapon works by drawing a straight line, right? What I saw was this:

Turn 1: you hit a killa can

Turn 3: He lines up his killa canz in a straight line with your vibro cannons, letting you hit all of them.

Turn5: You hit two killa canz AND kill some boyz.

Seriously...

In any case, good came. I'm surprised that you were able to pull off a win while being so horribly outnumbered like that. Good job.

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 12:25:43 PM »
I then learned that orks over 11 models get Fearless: No pinning for me!).

Last I checked, "fearless" meant "don't have to take morale checks" not "dont' have to take any check that relies on the leadership stat".

Morale checks are morale checks, target priority tests are target priority tests, and pinning tests are pinning tests. Note that you can even do things like pin space marines (ATSKNF only counts for regrouping from a failed morale test, not pinning).

Actually, fearless (p. 74) is no morale or pinning checks - the rule that is for just morale tests is "stubborn" (p. 75) which I don't believe anyone uses anymore (it used to be dark angels).

Asides from that, you are absolutely correct - fearless does not work for other leadership tests, such as target priority or psychic tests.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 02:19:33 PM »
Looks like it was a very fun game :)
I didnt realize you were playing the new orks, that makes it even more interesting!
   Indeed!
They are certainly competetive, perhaps overpowered in some ways. in any case, they are very fun to play against :) (I managed to win one vs them due to a mistimed waagh)

Too bad the warpspiders didnt do much, they are usually the antidote for orks.
   He actually use his to get some ground to my Vibro and Defenders but that's all. I think he decided that to get too close on me wasn't a priority until he got rid of my Wraithguard.

And yeah, too bad for the Warpies but it was almost entirely my fault so... :D

Does this, then, mean the new codex for Orks is out? Or were you playing off of rumors?
   That's the rumored leak yeah, which may or may not be the final draft.

We shall see.

Neat game.
   Well thanks. :)
A few things:

I wouldn't feel too bad that he exploxded, given how incredibly useful he was during this game.
   Saying that he was usefull is huge understatement. In that particular game he was a game winner.
   I'd like to note here that a Farseer actually frying his own brain in a first game turn is pretty annoying though.

As well, for your ork player "Dan": Stop being so stupid around vibro cannons. I mean, you told him at the beginning that the weapon works by drawing a straight line, right? What I saw was this:

Turn 1: you hit a killa can

Turn 3: He lines up his killa canz in a straight line with your vibro cannons, letting you hit all of them.

Turn5: You hit two killa canz AND kill some boyz.
   I also said to him that they did 1d6 hits VS squads. In that case it was an erroned assumption that it'd do the same to a vehicle squadron. He realised it then but it was far too late...
   For the 5th turn, we were in a rush and a few more dead Orks didn't really matter at this point so he wasn't really carefull.

Seriously...
   Orks aren't serious. ;)

In any case, good came. I'm surprised that you were able to pull off a win while being so horribly outnumbered like that. Good job.
   Thanks. I'm surprised too.
   I believe the game played itself on deployment/ early turn movement. Had he ignored my right flank and rushed everything gainst my main batle line he would probably have swarmed me.
   I would also have disembarked both Trukks since Open Topped AV10 are really death traps. I guess he'll remember it next time. 8)

Actually, fearless (p. 74) is no morale or pinning checks - the rule that is for just morale tests is "stubborn" (p. 75) which I don't believe anyone uses anymore (it used to be dark angels).

Asides from that, you are absolutely correct - fearless does not work for other leadership tests, such as target priority or psychic tests.
   Thanks for having clarified the point.

Starky

Yes you are being dense.

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 05:20:56 PM »
Fearless units cannot be pinned Aliaros.  I think you thinking about stubborn which is fearless but they can pinned. Orks aren't techincally fearless if they have 12 or more models, but they get to mob check, which is roll under the number of models and pass the check so practically they are.

The_Outcast

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 05:54:57 PM »
Fearless units cannot be pinned Aliaros.  I think you thinking about stubborn which is fearless but they can pinned. Orks aren't techincally fearless if they have 12 or more models, but they get to mob check, which is roll under the number of models and pass the check so practically they are.

The_Outcast

in the new orks, 11 models are enough for fearless.
and mob checks are gone, you only get one roll now.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 06:41:13 PM »
Good BatRep, the pictures do help... and Congrats on the win....

The new Orckz look like a lot of fun to kill with Eldar... I think GW may have actually really done another good job on a Codex (Yes I really like the Newest Eldar codex).

Cheers and Happy Gaming.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 07:59:17 PM »
It sounded like you didn't treat the power as going off when the seer killed himself, but when you roll double 1s it goes off; you lose the seer, but it goes off.

Congrats on the win, man that was close but you pulled it off.  Good job.

That terrrain was something else.  It is quite a trick to decide how to deploy with so little.  Your options were quite limited.

It is somewhat suprising that shooting is what really kept him in the game, but the way the board was set up probably played into this quite a bit.

Some don't believe me when I say that charging with the guard is often a great idea, but your battle shows the truth of this idea particularly when you have the cc specialists availale to help out.  Even with their massive number of attacks orks without powerweapons will take a longe time to drop guard.  Having RA engage the power weapon was a good plan since it limited the breadth of the effectiveness of the weapon.  It was only going to kill one guy no matter what.  A harlie would have been better since you would have gotten a save, but RA was good.  The guard can withstand the rest of the piddly attack.  Then as happened the good gun is available when the combat is over to take down the vehicles RA wasn't as equipped to handle.

Too bad you didn't have the lord handy to support that big assault.  With a different squad in BTB with the only weapon that could hurt him (I think, I don't know the configs of the new orks too well) he could have steadily squished one here and one there and helped you win a bit faster and save a model or two.  Perhaps taking him into the open would have been too risky though.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline phisicsbof

• Blood Runs Anger Rises Death wakes War Calls!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 12:12:28 PM »
Good report. Congrats on the win.

"the stars themselves once lived and died at our cammand, and yet you still dare oppose our will"
My craftworlds story(Update 2)
Create your own Craft world

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #12 on: December 2, 2007, 02:34:58 AM »
Good BatRep, the pictures do help... and Congrats on the win....

Congrats on the win, man that was close but you pulled it off.  Good job.
Good report. Congrats on the win.

Thanks all! :)

The new Orckz look like a lot of fun to kill with Eldar... I think GW may have actually really done another good job on a Codex (Yes I really like the Newest Eldar codex).

That's also my opinion.

It sounded like you didn't treat the power as going off when the seer killed himself, but when you roll double 1s it goes off; you lose the seer, but it goes off.
   I know, my bad. Just forgot on the moment's heat. :D

That terrrain was something else.  It is quite a trick to decide how to deploy with so little.  Your options were quite limited.

It is somewhat suprising that shooting is what really kept him in the game, but the way the board was set up probably played into this quite a bit.
   The big pieces of cover weren't that bad (three woods and two hills) but I agree that the board was somewhat lacking regarding smallish/movement hindering cover.
   But I agree that the board was better suited for hidden deployment but somewhat lacking for hiding moving forces, and somewhat advantageous for shooty static armies, which we both weren't (that much).

Some don't believe me when I say that charging with the guard is often a great idea, but your battle shows the truth of this idea particularly when you have the cc specialists availale to help out.  Even with their massive number of attacks orks without powerweapons will take a longer time to drop guard.  Having RA engage the power weapon was a good plan since it limited the breadth of the effectiveness of the weapon.  It was only going to kill one guy no matter what.  A harlie would have been better since you would have gotten a save, but RA was good.  The guard can withstand the rest of the piddly attack.  Then as happened the good gun is available when the combat is over to take down the vehicles RA wasn't as equipped to handle.
   That was my reasoning at the time though I did hope that Ra would survive for at least one round more, and I must admit that said reasoning didn't go as far as two turn in advance: It was just that the Wraithguard weren't as likely to survive this as the Phoenix Lord was.
   At this point I was really just buying time but it paid off in the end. :D

Too bad you didn't have the lord handy to support that big assault.
   I pondered this after reading your post (replaying the game mentally) and sure he would have helped, especially for making sure that the Orks failed their Morale at the end (which they did anyway but then that was just luck) by outnumbering them.
   But then, I think the only thing that prevented the Deffkoptas charging my Reapers/Pathfinders was the Wraithlord acting the bully in his corner. [shrug]
   We'll never know for sure.

Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

Starky

FLASH NEWS!

Just came back from a mini 40K Tourney/Happening (Two games only) and here's the results. I just add this as a follow up to the precedent report since I decided at the last minute to tweak my list to add Maugan Ra and further try it out.

There was 16 players, Forces were 1500 pts and there was no Comp Scores  :o(a try up from the organiser, just to see if people would cheese up: surprisingly, no).

Here's mine:

Iyanden Silver Ghosts Strike Force

HQ: 340 Pts (22.7%)
   -Maugan Ra = 195 Pts.
   -Errhan Kierl, Farseer: xx Spirit Stones +xx Runes of Warding +xx Fortune + xx Doom = 145 Pts

ELITE: 204 Pts (13.6%)
   -Harlequins: x8 +xx Shadowseer +xx Death Jester + xx (Harlequin Kiss X 5) = 204 Pts.

TROOPS: 665 Pts (44.35%)
   -Wraithguard: x10 +xx Spiritseer +xx Conceal = 396 Pts.
   -Pathfinders: 24x = 144 Pts
   -Guardian Defenders: 10x +xx Scatter Laser +xx Warlock + xx Embolden = 125 Pts.

HEAVY: 290 Pts (19.35%)
   -Wraithlord: Flamer X 2 +xx Brightlance + xx Eldar Missile Launcher = 155 Pts.
   -Wraithlord: Flamer X 2 +xx Scatter Laser + xx Eldar Missile Launcher = 135 Pts.

FAST: 0 Pts (0%)

TOTAL: 1 499  Pts

Player: Gyslain Gelinas

Pic taken at home after the day.

First game was a Gamma level Cleanse variation, with corners not being used as VPs giver and with a Preliminary Bombardment striking both forces after deploying.

The contendant was a Chaos SMurf player:

HQ: Khorne Winged Deamon Prince, Deamon weapon.

ELITE: None

TROOP: Khorne Berserkers X 10, Champ with Poweraxe.
               Thousand Sons X 10, Champ with Doombolt.
               Chaos Marines X 10, Meltagun, Champ with Powersword, Rhino.

HEAVY: Havoc X 5, 4 Missile Launchers.
               Vindicator.

FAST: Raptors x 10, Meltagun, Champ with Powersword.

Terrain: Main feature was a big chunk of Lev 3 Area terrain in the middle, so I could deploy all of my force out of LOS from his Havoc, with a Ra, Farseer, Wraithlord, Wraithguard and Harlies hugging the center.
   He deployed his force at the minimal 18" on the other side.

Preliminary Bombardment hurt me, killing 1 Wraithguard (out of 6 saves :o) and taking 2 wounds of a Wraithlord (out of 5 saves) while he got nothing.

Basically, I steamrolled him on the right with most of my force, Harlies killing the Berserkers, hit-and-running to the Havoc and coming back for the depleted Ksons while the WG/Phoenix Lord accounted for the Deamon Prince (shooting), and the 10 Marines squad in CC, finishing off the Ksons at the 4th turn after they killed the remaining Harlies.

Pathfinders died to Havoc fire/Raptors, Raptors were killed by combined fire from Defenders/Wraithlord, being finished off in CC by WL.

Both Wraithlord had their part of kills, also accounting for the Rhino and Vindie.

The game ended after 4 turns, the Chaos player wiped out while I lost my Harlies, Pathfinders, 2 Wraithguard and lost a wound on Maugan Ra as well as the wounded WL from the Bombardment.
   The player was a good sport, though he didn't enjoy being wiped out of course. He had appalling luck most of the game (didn't help that he had NO Hidden Powerfist in his force), as demonstrated by his one and only charge of my Harlies with his Deamon Prince where he got a '1' with his Deamon Weapon. [ouch!]

VPs: Eldar: 1 500 Pts.
          Chaos: 514 Pts.

Crushing Victory for the Silver Ghosts!

Second opponent was a Blood Angel:

HQ: Chaplain.
      Death Company X 5, Rhino.

ELITE: None.

TROOP: SM X 10, Lascannon, Meltagun, Sarge/Powerfist, Rhino.
            SM X 10, Lascannon, Flamer, Sarge/Powerfist, Razorback/Twin HB.
            Assault Squad X 10, Sarge/Powersword.

HEAVY: Devastator X 5, two Lascans, Razorback/Twin Lascan.
            Vindicator.
            Predator Destructor.

FAST: None.

Terrain: Again, a big Lev 3, LOS blocking building in the middle, two small woods and 2 Lev 2 Area terrain.
   I again deployed in the middle, totally out of sight from his Devastator while he deployed fairly evenly in his entire DZ, splitting all his units into Combat Squads.

The game was a Gamma level Seek & Destroy and we each had to deploy a Communication Post (AV13) into the opponent's DZ worth 200 VPs if we destroyed it (otherwise counted as an Immobile Vehicle).
   We each evidently set them up nicely in the open. ::)

This one was tougher, (meaner opponent & much more mobile than me), and I had a hard time with target saturation due to all these Combat Squads.
   In the course of the game, my Harlies wiped out the Assault Marines and finished off a Powerfist Sarge that just killed a Wraithlord in CC before being Stormboltered to death by two beslubbering Rhinos.
   Fortuned Wraithguard had a hard time to even succeed saves against basic weaponry, much less the 4++ coversave the center building gave them :D and were badly mauled, tough they managed to take a fair chunk of pts from all his vehicles and obliterating the Devastator!
   Both Wraithlord also killed their fair part of the enemy before the end. The Defenders fell to the DC.
   It was a true bloodbath, with only Maugan Ra, Farseer, 3 Wraithguard and a intact Wraithlord standing at the end where the Blood Angels had one Lascan Combat Squad remaining as well as the Chaplain, 2 DC and one Rhino. (None of the IC were wounded).

The BA player was also a good sport (and very funny) and we had a great time wiping each other out. We both made some mistakes, him by underestimating the Harlies which cost him dearly early in the game and me on some target priority (I should have taken out that Vindie earlier!!!) as well as allowing the DC to charge my Defenders by misjudgment.
   Also, at the endgame (5 turns as we lacked time) I totally forgot about the objective, my Wraithlord destroying a 40 Pts Rhino instead of the 200 VPs objective. [slap myself!]

VPs: Eldar: 1 232 Pts.
          Blood Angels: 1006 Pts (including that damn Objective!).

A Draw in the Silver Ghosts favor! (Should have been a Solid Victory but the organiser had his own very personal VP chart so...)

All in all a good afternoon, great fun (not for everyone though, as I heard) and generally friendly. Looking for the next one in some months.
   Ironically, out of the four Eldar players, three of us were playing Iyanden flavored forces, First Place going to one of the other two.
   I got second. ;D

Starky

Point costs removed.  Do not post copyrighted materials on this site.  Games Workshop’s policy:
Games Workshop Intellectual Property Policy
What you can and cannot do with Games Workshop Intellectual Property  -Mr.Peanut
« Last Edit: December 2, 2007, 05:12:12 PM by Mr.Peanut »

Yes you are being dense.

Offline Perihelion

• In the 41st millenium, there is... LOVE AND PEACE!
« Reply #13 on: December 2, 2007, 08:33:06 PM »

The new Chaos Codex's Demon Princes cannot get Demon weapons. Unless he was using the old codex (but judging by the vindicator, I don't think so), it better have been a Lord (marine commander stats), or you were horribly cheated.
"The strength of your force may be calculated by multiplying its weight by its velocity. Strive always to maximize both and victory shall be yours."
-Commander Puretide, The Forty Second Meditation on the Way of the Warrior

Hell, get some personality and get something other than a Fireknife...

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #14 on: December 3, 2007, 09:11:01 AM »

The new Chaos Codex's Demon Princes cannot get Demon weapons. Unless he was using the old codex (but judging by the vindicator, I don't think so), it better have been a Lord (marine commander stats), or you were horribly cheated.
   I just checked the Chaos Codex and you're right about this one. [shrug]. For the effect it had on the game, he just succeeded in wounding his own DP and losing it. :P

Quote from: MR. Peanut
Point costs removed.  Do not post copyrighted materials on this site.  Games Workshop’s policy... ecetera.
   Oups. I just copy pasted my list from Word, not my habit. Sorry for the slip.

Starky

Yes you are being dense.