News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k Classic Tournament Report.  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
40k Classic Tournament Report.
« on: August 21, 2016, 09:04:46 PM »
Yesterday, I played at a four round 1500pt tournament, the 40k Classic.

The game size was 1500pts. Your army had to follow the following parameters.

1-2 HQ
0-3 Elites
2-6 Troops
0-3 Fast
0-3 Heavy Support

This is not a detachment, and offers no benefits.

No named characters, no Lords of War, no super heavies, no formations, detachments, or warlord traits.

Missions were heavily based on troops scoring and only troops can contest objectives.

Deployment was like in 3rd edition, players take turn deploying models Heavy, troops, elites,HQ and then fast. Then roll off for turn 1. If you finished deploying first, you had +1 to the roll.

I brought my Khorne Daemonkin

Vrax Brazenfist, chaos lord with Terminator Armour, Sigil of Curruption, power axe and Gorefeaster

Herald on juggernaut with locus of Rage

3 Terminators with power axes and combi-meltas

3 blood crushers with full command

3 squads of 8 chaos space marines with rhino, meltagun and power axe

8 blood letters with bloodreaper

helbrute with multi-melta and combi-bolter

skull cannon

Game 1, was dawn of War Deployment and the objective was Kill Points. Troops and dedicated transports worth 1, fast and heavy worth 2 and elites and HQ worth 3.

I went against Chaos Marines

Flying Nurgle Prince with black mace
Khorne Biker Lord with Axe of Fury
two squads of chaos marines in rhinos. One with plasma gun, one with flamer
bike squad with two melta guns
two maulerfiends
heldrake

The game started with me going first and I rushed up the rhinos followed by the bloodcrushers and herald. Skullcannon immobolised a rhino with it's...skullcannon.

He then charged my Bloodcrushers with the daemon prince and a maulerfiend. The maulerfiend missed all of it's attacks, the prince rolled a '1' for it's daemon weapon, so I didn't loose a single bloodcrusher. He did summon a unit of horrors with the prince.

My marines proceeded to start disembarking and taking out his troops, daemon prince was killed by the bloodcrushers and the skullcannon charged the maulerfiend (doing nothing), but the maulerfiend missed too. The othermaulerfiend charged the helbrute, but the helbrute took out the maulerfiend before it could strike. Helbrutes now with 4 attacks, are a lot better.

end game had me summon a bloodthister through tithe (which deepstuck misshaped), the other maulerfiend couldn't roll a hit-roll to save it's life, so failed to harm the skullcannon, or the bloodcrushers the whole game. My lord killed his lord with the powered up gorefeaster.

Daemonkin Win!

Game two, against white scars

Chaptermaster on bike with powerfist, artificer armour and shield eternal
Librarian on bike

3 bike squads with 2 grav guns and combi-grav
2 scout squads with landspeeder storms
tactical squad in rhino
bike command squad

This was about controlling table quarters at the end of the game (having a troop unit and no enemy troops in it)

game started with him getting a t1 charge on my bloodcrushers (second game in a row) but the bloodcrushers did great, and killed the whole command squad and librarian, but I couldn't harm the chapter master. Skullcannon did some work shooting scouts and landspeeders (and was charged by some bikes, but after a few rounds of combat hit and run, as they couldn't hurt it). Bloodthirster came in T3 and started causing some havoc. I couldn’t kill his troops quick enough (and hit and run was very annoying) so he was able to capitalize on that and control all the quarters at the end of the game.

White Scars win

Game three

Against Khorne Daemonkin :D

In this mission, there was 5 objectives 12” from table edges and each other. If you had a troop unit wholly within 6” of the objective, you controlled it. Troop models can contest in that range, even if the unit is not all within 6” If you controlled more than your opponent at the end of the game turn, then you gained 2vp.

His list.
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage
Chaos Lord on Juggernaut with powerfist, lighting claw and sigil
4 (maybe 5?) units of bloodletters
Two maulerfiends
Heldrake
Two units of Fleshhounds

I started off driving a rhino on two objectives and getting the charge off on his hounds/lord with the bloodcrushers. I also took a hullpoint off one of the maulerfiends with the skullcannon. His maulerfiends and one unit of flesh hounds took out three of my rhinos (yikes). I didn’t get in my terminators or bloodletters/lord in from deepstrike unit turn 4. One of the highlights of the match, was my bloodthirster and his having a face off. Mine lost, but it was down to me going first and hopfully instant killing his, or his surviving and D axing mine out lol. His heldrake burned all my chaos marines dead. All of them lol.

The game ended with the Chaos lord fully powering up his gorefeaster, but I never once controlled a majority of the objectives.

Deamonkin win (not mine)

Game 4! Dark Angels!
Mission was table quarters. 2VP at end of game turn, if you control more table quarters than opponent. Troops wholely within quarter and no enemy troops.
Techmarine
Deathwing Knights
Two units of tactical marines in rhinos
Unit of three vindicators
Land raider crusader

So, this game I had the most insane bout of bad luck. I failed all wound and hit rolls almost constantly, failed almost all my armour saves too lol. However, I rushed him T1 and forced him to camp in his deployment zone the whole game, so my chaos marines scattered and controlled the majority of table quarters the whole game. Then the bloodthirster came in and did some work (killing some tactical marines and all the vindicators.
Good example of even with the dice gods turning against you, just play for the mission!

At the end of the event I had a few MVP’s and a few duds
MVP’s
Skull Cannon! Every game he did great work and was surprisingly hard to kill.
Bloodthirster (not technically part of my list), but he was great when he came out.
Chaos Marines, Great objective holders and could put a lot of pressure on.

Duds
Herald, he didn’t really do anything for me.
Terminators, might as well have not have had them.
Chaos Lord, he never really played any part in the game. He moved just too slow.

At the end of the event, I placed around middle of the pack in overall score. However, I won the players choice award for hobby achievement, which I was not expecting (but was quite nice  ). I guess folks liked my army! Overall, the event was a lot of fun and very different from other events I played.

Here are some of the armies that were there.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Re: 40k Classic Tournament Report.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 05:46:43 AM »
Loving the crashed Millenium Falcon on the Eldar Diorama! haha
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:52:39 AM »
Nice report! I'm sorry to hear your Bloodcrushers couldn't seem to make a charge (weird how they kept getting caught out like that!), but nice to see they held their own, anyway. I do like the Khorne Chariots--the Skullcannon is pretty nice for the cost and the Blood Throne ain't half bad, either (especially if you take a lot of bloodletters).

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 02:19:23 PM »
There were lots of wonderful armies on display there from the looks of things.  I'm really pleased that you won an award for yours though, because your painting and thematic army composition is always executed to the highest standard in both respects, so you really deserved that.

It was fitting to have ups and downs in the games with your Khorne force.  Such is the fickle nature of Khorne!  I can attest to hit and run being annoying though, both from having had it used against me in the past and having used it myself.  It's fun to use yourself, but much more frustrating to be on the receiving end of.

Thanks for the write up and for the photos.  It looked like a great tournament to play in, especially from the point of view of excluding lots of the things that I dislike in the current version of 40K ;).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 12:36:24 PM »
Nice report! I'm sorry to hear your Bloodcrushers couldn't seem to make a charge (weird how they kept getting caught out like that!), but nice to see they held their own, anyway. I do like the Khorne Chariots--the Skullcannon is pretty nice for the cost and the Blood Throne ain't half bad, either (especially if you take a lot of bloodletters).

I played the crushers a bit too aggressively, but even still they are super durable and very fast. They made an impression in each game on those facts alone. I think I'd like to run two units maybe. The cannon I really want to get a second one

There were lots of wonderful armies on display there from the looks of things.  I'm really pleased that you won an award for yours though, because your painting and thematic army composition is always executed to the highest standard in both respects, so you really deserved that.

It was fitting to have ups and downs in the games with your Khorne force.  Such is the fickle nature of Khorne!  I can attest to hit and run being annoying though, both from having had it used against me in the past and having used it myself.  It's fun to use yourself, but much more frustrating to be on the receiving end of.

Thanks for the write up and for the photos.  It looked like a great tournament to play in, especially from the point of view of excluding lots of the things that I dislike in the current version of 40K .

Hey thanks, I was not expecting to win an award, as there were a lot of fantastic armies there. I was happy to win it though. I hung the plaque on the wall in my room lol.

I do need to buy new dice though, as my rolls were awful lol. Hit and run is frustrating, when you kill all but one model and then have to deal with just a bunch of single models running around. Ug.

This format was fun, different then other formats. I don't think it was any better, or any worse then others (say, the ITC), but it's nice to mix things up a bit. No matter what format you do, you just change what the stronger things are lol. Eldar, are always going to be good.

There is a highlander event happening in October I might go to as well, but it's a bit of a drive away (maybe 3-5 hours).

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria