News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: List Building Competitions!  (Read 1107 times)

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
List Building Competitions!
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:01:09 PM »

With all the excitement and added traffic due to the new codex, it seems a good time to get some list building competitions going.

Previously (and I'm talking a couple of years ago, I think), we did 5 competitions -one for each of the main Craftworlds. That worked quite well.
We could do the same again, and/or a competition for each of the Warhosts plus CAD, or something else entirely.

Broadly how it would work would be:
1) I post a new thread inviting list entries for a particular theme.
2) Lists are entered by replying to the thread.
3) After say a couple of weeks, A new poll thread is started
4) After say a couple of weeks, the poll finishes, and winners are announced.
5) The whole sordid escape repeats with a new theme, until we run out of themes, lose interest, or the rapture comes.

If you're interested and/or have any ideas for the format, reply here. If there's enough interest, I'll kick it off. Irisado has kindly volunteered to be the Poll-meister, and even offered Prizes Of Questionable Veracity for the winners...

List-building: You know you love it.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline Ciliano

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: List Building Competitions!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:38:28 PM »
One idea which did spring to my mind at once: Build a list which represents numerical relations of the units involved as well as Craftworld affinities realistically. Of course it's not useful for actual playing but I always ask myself how Ulthwé would organize its forces for a real battle.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 02:17:38 PM »
I will definitely participate in this, as reigning champion ;) last time we saw a lot of different ideas and combinations of units. Now there is not as much a good list on a theme, but almost every place has their own set of missions and their own set of restrictions that need to be clarified.

In my meta it's common to use a mixture of the eternal war and the maelstrom missions, and it's a point system with 20 point divided by the players for each game, not the W-D-L.

The formations also makes several lists look similar, there are very little wiggleroom within the craftworld host, unless going above 2K point games.

But sure the major craftworlds, Mechdar and Eldarzilla could still be intresting. These contest actually spawns a lot of tactical uses, which makes us improve our generalship by both reading and explaining how we think.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 03:04:12 PM »
If it helps give an idea how to organize the competition, here is how I have done it in previous years:

• The lists are <points value>
  • When writing the list, please make sure that it is legible and easy to read.  If I am having problems deciphering your list, it will be disqualified.  Also please include a short break down of the tactics you plan on using with the list, give us a run down on how you intend to use the units to attain victory.
  • <Whether Allies or Fortifications are allowed>
  • Each individual contest will have a certain theme that must be adhered to.  Failure to do so will result in your submission being disqualified.
  • The lists are to be built as if you were attending a tournament, so build them to win games, but also take into consideration that in this "tournament" there are soft scores, so making a complete dick list is not going to bode well for you.  In addition, at least one of the games at this "tournament", one of the missions will be the mission "Purge the Alien (killpoints)".
  • From the time the initial post is put up signalling the start of the next contest, you will have two weeks to write and submit an army list.  Post your army list board in the <Army Board> board with the topic subject being "<points> <theme>.  <Conest name> entry."
  • After posting your list, you may edit it based on comments you receive from the community, but with restrictions.  Any changes must be done to the original post in your army list thread.  Reposting the list further in the thread will not be considered legitimate changes for the contest.
  • To submit your army list, post a link to the thread you created in the relevant contest submission thread.  Please note, that once you do this you may not make any more changes to your army list!  If your original post in your army list thread shows an edit time after the time you posted your submission, your submission will be disqualified.
  • After the two weeks are up, I will post a poll with all of the submitted lists for the community to vote on.
  • The poll will run for 7 days from the poll being posted, and the person with the most votes will be crowned the victor and be granted a specialized custom title to reflect the contest that they won.
  • As an added bonus for the people who submit lists to all of the contests, they will be added to one final contest where all of their lists will be judged as a whole and another poll will be raised.  Who ever gets the most votes in this pole be granted a very unique custom title.
  • I will create a new thread for every new contest that will be specifically for the submissions with any additional restrictions for that contest.

This was taken from the last one I ran for the Dark Angels, and you don't have to follow the exact format.  I just wanted to give you some ideas.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 03:15:41 PM »
I'm in!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline mechrite

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »
Sounds fun! Count me in.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »
Well i'm in as well i love theory crafting :)
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 03:18:47 AM »
Sounds like fun.
As a firs idea it might be interesting to have a collection of the various metas we have.
Like a short description.

- General board set up (% of terrain, % of LOS breaking terrain, most used environment etc.)
- restrictions (no superheavies etc.)
- house rules used in every game
- armies that are around

I'm sure you get where I'm going.
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 05:03:59 AM »
Thanks for the responses, looks like we have enough interest, so I shall start the first competition tomorrow. I like the idea of building lists with specific terrains / opponents in mind, but that might take a bit more thought, so I'll start with the familiar theme of footdar.

One idea which did spring to my mind at once: Build a list which represents numerical relations of the units involved as well as Craftworld affinities realistically. Of course it's not useful for actual playing but I always ask myself how Ulthwé would organize its forces for a real battle.
Ciliano: I'm not quite sure what you mean by this: could you give an example?

GML: Thanks for that. Some good tips, there.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.