News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 3 reps from 1000 pt double tournie  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
3 reps from 1000 pt double tournie
« on: February 5, 2011, 08:25:45 PM »
So like the title say, doubles tournie today.  Was planning on a Chaos Daemon list teamed with my friends Chaos Marine list, but my friend ended up canceling and since he was providing all the models, there went the daemon list.  Fortunately, I brought some ork's 'just in case' so got teamed up with another partner-less player and went from there.  Got pop on my notes so some of this will be 'as I remember'

Out lists can be found here: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=210678.0

Game 1:

Deployment/Objective:
Pitched Battle/Seize Ground

Enemies: Chaos Marines running a Lash Prince, 2 plasma cannon dreads, 2 squads of 5 chaos marines (on in rhino), 2 defilers, and a vindicator; Eldar player running 2 5 man guardian squads, hq (whichever the one that gives improved reserve rolls, for get the name), 2 2x viper squads, 3x viper squad, 3 3x warwalker squads.

Deployment: They got first deployment and we didn't steal the imitative.  Board was setup with a big climb of area terrain near the center of each corner, with the center pretty much clear.  Objectives ended up with 1 in each terrain clump, one near mid board, but toward the enemy side. 

Enemy: Enemy set up with dread on the far left, 5 chaos marines and 5 guardians on his left objective, defilers and vindicators in the middle of the board, with the 2x viper squads in front to screen them and the demon prince behind them.  5 man guardian squad on his right objective.  Other 5 man marine squad in rhino, other dread, and 3 viper squad to the right of that.  War walkers outflanking.

Ours: I was concerned over a lash prince, 3 large S8 templates and something like 90 S6 shots from the eldar and was feeling timid with the not-full sized nob squads and not having the first turn, so I started entirely in reserve.  Not sure it was the right call in hindsight, but ahh well.  Marine ally combat squaded, 2 half-squads placed to hold left objective, 2 to hold right objective, predator with the right squad, rhino with captain and sternguard in rhino somewhat central but closer to left objective.  Dreadnought was deep striking.

Enemy Turn 1: Dreadnoughts both move forward and ran.  Vipers moved forward and fired, killed 1 marine in one of the right hand squads and 1 in one of the left hand squads.  Defilers and Vindcators moved forward, vindicator didn't have range, both defiler battle cannon shots scattered of target and hit nothing.  Demon prince moved up.

Out Turn 1: Nothing from me as I wasn't on the board yet.  No marine moves, and bad luck on shooting takes out 1 viper but nothing else.  Dreadnought drop pods in behind the Defiler/Vindicator line.  Melta hits on one of the Defilers and blows up the battle cannon.

Enemy Turn 2: 2 warwalker squads arrive, one comes in right near our objectives on either side.  Right dreadnought runs.  Left dreadnought gets fire frenzy and is forced to kill 3 marines from his own side.  Marine squad gets lashed, but bad scatters on both big templates mean only 2 marines die.  Ironclad gets charged by eldar hq and battlecannon-less defiler.  No results from the combat.  Right warwalkers fire at, then assault the full strength right marine squad, kill 1.  Left warwalkers fire at an assault the 4 man left marine squad, kill 2.  Vipers move forward, between them reduce the other right marine squad is reduced to 1 and the predator is wrecked.

Our Turn 2: Both my warbosses arrive, but no nobz.  Warbosses charge warwalker squads, 1 each.  Left warboss destroys his entire squad, right one wrecks one and destroys a weapon on the other.  Marine shooting accounts for the remaining viper in the wounded squad and a viper in the uninjured 2 viper squad.  Dreadnought/defiler combat continues with no result.

Enemy 3: Left dreadnought fire frenzies again, but manages to scatter off the target unit.  Right runs forward.  Vipers move forward, kill off 1 marine from the squad that survived the war walker squad.  Pie plates take out the other left marine squad.  I kill off another warwalker and remove another weapon in the right combat.  Ironclad finally dies in the dreadnought/defiler fight.

Our turn 3: 1 nob biker unit arrives, other stuck in reserve.  Turboboost on, trying to get into position to take the middle objective and contest one of his.  Warboss moves up and kills one viper, marine shooting finishes off other viper.  Warboss in warwalker wiffs, no damage on either side there.

Dice down, game over.  Enemy holds 2 objectives (their side, left and right), we hold 1 (our left), our right contested, middle not held.  2 enemy objectives, 1 friendly: loss.

Hindsight -- I don't, per-say, think it was a mistake to hold back my bikers in terms of ultimate effectiveness.  But in the situation we were in, with 2000 points and 4 players trying to keep everything straight, games went slow, so we didn't get the full set of turns, and it bit us in the backside.  One more turn and I would have been able to take away one of their objectives and free our contested one (though our held one only had 1 marine on it, so may have been lost), but could have very easily turned it around.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 08:29:40 PM by Azonalanthious »

Offline Azonalanthious

Re: 3 reps from 1000 pt double tournie
« Reply #1 on: February 5, 2011, 08:26:05 PM »
Game 2:

Deployment/Objective:
Spearhead/Capture and Control

Enemies: Guard running 3 vet squads, 1 in a chimera, 1 in a valkrye, 1 in a vendette, command squad in chimera, leman russ (regular battle tank variant).  Blood Angles running 5 man vanguard with 1 first, 1 power weapon, 2 assault marine squads, reclusiarch, priest, ball predator.

Deployment: They won the roll, but gave us first deployment.  Silly folks.  Winter type board, fairly light on terrain, just some scattered ice patches and pine trees, but 2 big 'iceburgy' type things, including one perfectly positioned for our objective, hiding behind it with a unit that was out of line of sight for 90% of the board.  :D  Also a frozen river across the middle of the board (long edge to long edge) that was dangerous terrain.

Ours: Biker/warboss squad on either flank, 5 man combat squad holding the objective, with another 5 man squad between them and the bikers.  Rhino with sternguard/captain to the right of the objective, predator to the right of that, two other squads dug into a small clump of trees to the right of that.

Theirs: We let them just do their scout moves for the Valkrye/Vendetta right away, Vendetta went in the back left corner.  Valkrye ended up in the middle of the long table edge, hugging the back.  Chimera vets stayed in reserve, baal pred in reserve.  Russ and command chimera set up on their objective.  Assault squads combat squad and set up as far forward as possible, priest in second squad from the left, reclusiarch in third.  Vanguard deepstriking.

Our Turn 1: Both biker squads turbo boost towards the foes.  Marines try to shoot up the valk/vend but no joy.  Ironclad drop-pods in by the left most assault marines, flamers/meltas them for 3 kills.

Enemy Turn 1: Vendetta picks off a marine from one of the squads by our objective.  Surviving 2 assault marines have a melta, take their revenge and blow the ironclad.  Valk moves up, drops vet squad near my right bikers.  The have 3 flamers, flame the squad.  No deaths, but they wound pretty much all the bikers.  The assault squad with the priest move up, shoot my left bikers to no effect.  Other assault marines move up, but not in range of anything.  Marines assault the bikers, vets assault the nobs on the grounds that 'they will get assaulted next turn anyways'.  ;)  Couple wounds from the marines, but destroyed the entire squad.  Unfortunately, couldn't allocate many attacks to the priest, he survived and ran away.  Vets are cut down to 4, but I lose and already wounded bike in return.

Our Turn 2: Right bikers finish off vets.  Left bikers charge, dakka, then double assault 2 remaining assault squads.  Killed all but 1 marine and the reclusiarch for a couple of wounds.  Marines continute to try and shoot up valk/vendetta, pop one cannon of the vendetta and prevent the valk from shooting next turn.

Enemy Turn 2: Vanguard deep strikes in by our objective, charges the squad holding it.  Defenders loss 4 marines, Vanguard loose 2.  Chimera vets arrive from reserve.  They, along with EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE BOARD pour all their fire on the nob squad that killed the vets.  They manage to kill the squad, the first, and only, nob biker squad I've ever had completely killed (though it wasn't a full strength squad, so that record is still unbroken).  Other biker squad kills remaining assault marine, but can't put many attacks toward the IC reclusiarch, so he gets off with just two wounds.

Our Turn 3: Finish off reclusiarch and consolidate that squad towards the objective.  Sternguard pops out and piles into the fight with the vanguards, finish them off.  Other marines kill 1 of the 2 man assault marine squad that is still on the board.  More shooting which does nothing on the valk/vendetta.

Their turn 3: Chimera vets moves to take their objective.  Sole surviving assault marine makes a big to contest our objective, but would need a 6 run and surviving a dangerous terrain check to get it and doesn't pull it off.  We know time is running out, so they make a big bid to kill the marines around it with all surviving marines, but only kill off 2.

Dice down, game over.  Each team holds 1 objective.  Tied.

Hindsight There is that short game problem again.  Tied, but 1 more turn probably would have turned it in our favor -- I would have been able to contest their objective for sure and its unlike they could have forced us off ours or had their 1 marine survive to contest it.  Ahh well.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 09:17:38 PM by Azonalanthious »

Offline Azonalanthious

« Reply #2 on: February 5, 2011, 08:26:20 PM »
Game 1:

Deployment/Objective:
Dawn of War/Annihilation

Enemies: Tau running Shas'el w/ tl-burst cannon, fragmentation projection, 2 gun drones; 2 XV8s w/ tl-missile pods, 2 10 man fire warrior teams, 2 broadsides, 6 pathfinders, with pathfinder devilfish, 3 stealth suits, 1 w/ fusion, hammerhead.  Dark Eldar (my first game against the new codex!) with 2 witch squads in the transports (ravagers?), kabalite warrior squad and achron in a third transport, talos, and the thingy with 3 dark lances.

Deployment: They got first deployment.  Cliff-like things setup in each corner, scattered trees across the board, and a river bisecting it.

Enemy: Set up some fire warriors in cover near mid board, and the Shas'el on the front edge of the right enemy cliff area.

Ours: Set up the marine tac squads in the left and right cliff (since they had the heavy weapons so didn't want to walk on), marine hq just hiding in some cover for now.

Enemy Turn 1: Broadsides walk in behind the 'el.  Hammerhead moves up between the 'el and the fire warrior squad, witch squad hops right over them, parking in front of hammer head.  Pathfinders move into the left enemy cliff area.  Other witch transport heads for left marine squad.  Some assorted firing, but not much worth shooting out there yet -- one marine from the left tac squad dies.  Missile pod suits come in to the right of the fire warriors.  Talos comes in between them and left witches and starts it really long slow run across the board.

Out Turn 1: Orks/warbosses tubo-boost in in kinda a V to avoid a patch of cover, bracketing the tight witch transport.  Rhino comes in and picks up the captain.  Predator comes on.  Ironclad drop pods in near fire warrior squad, heavy flamer's them.  4 survive.  Few other bits of marine shooting accomplish nothing.

Enemy Turn 2: Witches disembark and charge right nob biker group.  Silly, silly witches.  100% witch casualties in return for 1 wound.  Hammer head and a load of other shooting dropped into left nob group for 2 wounds.  Broadsides decide to pop the drop pod for an easy kill point and pull it off.  Left witches get close enough and assault left marine squad, kill off 4 of them, but the marines hold and stay in combat.  Stealth squad deep strikes behind the rhino but doesn't manage to pop it.  Kabalite Transport and darklance vehicle are also deep striking, but don't arrive this turn.

Our Turn 2: Right nob squad pops the witch's transport for an easy kill point.  Left nobs pop the hammerhead.  Ironclad assaults the fire warriors instead of shooting in the hopes of consolidating closer to the suits, but wiffs on its attacks and kills none of them.  Captain hopes out of the rhino and single handedly kills the stealth squad.  Marines shoot at some stuff but kill nothing.  Marine shooting manages to kill off a broadside.

Enemy 3: Enemy continues to try and pour fire into nobz.  Few wounds, no body dead.  Broadsides pop the autocannon the the predator.  Witches kill 4 more in the left marine squad, but they continue to hold and take 2 with them.  3 darklance thingy shows up from deepstrike, but doesn't accomplish anything.  'el falls back and joins the surviving broadside

Our turn 3: Right nob squad attacks and kills broadside and 'el.  Left squad dakka's the missile pod suits but can't get close enough to assault.  Ironclad finally finishes off fire warriors.  Witches don't manage to inflict any wounds on marines and marines inflict 1 wound on them -- the witches break and run!  Woot!  Assorted marine shooting accomplished nothing.

Enemy turn 4: kabalite squad transport deep strikes in, almost all available firepower poured into left nob biker squad, drop the warboss and 2 bikers, but the squad holds.  The exception is the running witches, who pour fire into marines to no effect.  Fire warriors hopped out of devilfish, give me a target (and just realized I didn't mention the fish anywhere before this -- it came in by the Talos and accomplished absolutely nothing prior to this.)

Our turn 4: Left nob bikers charge and dakka and kill fire warriors.  Right nob bikers close, but aren't quite close enough to do much other then a couple bikers which dakka missile suits to no effect.  Marine shooting kills a dread though, and the 2 marines which beat the witches bring down their transport with some quick bolter shots.

Their turn 5: Witches shoot the marines again, and manage to kill with pistols what they couldn't handle in close combat.  All other fire again poured into left nob biker squad.  Reduces it to a wounded painboy, but the painboy lives (though runs -- run painboy, run!)  It was literally all firepower, so that was their turn.  :/

Our Turn 5: Right bikers charge and kill kabalite transport and their hq dies in the explosion.  Assorted marine shooting does some damage, but doesn't kill anything for another kill point, so doesn't matter.

Dice down, game over.  10 enemy units killed to 3 of ours.  Victory!

Hindsight This game was really, really one sided.  Their lists weren't bad, but the deployment wasn't good for the tau and the lists didn't work well together.  But it was so one-sided it almost felt bad.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 09:51:55 PM by Azonalanthious »

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2011, 12:26:11 AM »
I do so love a good bat rep.  Congrats on the games, setbacks happen, but glad to see you krumped it up in the next two!

Offline Azonalanthious

« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2011, 01:27:37 AM »
I do so love a good bat rep.  Congrats on the games, setbacks happen, but glad to see you krumped it up in the next two!

Yeah... but its a little frustrating.  This is the first tournament where I haven't placed in the money for 8 months.  Which wouldn't be so bad except it was the biggest turnout (and so biggest prize pot) I've seen there in over a year.  And I didn't get any of it.  :/  Ahh well, que sera.  At least they announced that they were trying to get onto the store list for 'ard boyz today, which is a good thing, saves me about an hour drive compared to where I figured I was going to have to go for 'ard boyz.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2011, 01:29:57 AM by Azonalanthious »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2011, 09:07:12 AM »
A good batrep, a "didn't lose" is what happens to us all to keep us humble. After all if we win all the time then people do not want to play you any more, so you have to give them a game once in a while so that they have hope.

On a different note; thats what you get for taking non-ork allies. Let that be a lesson to you...  ;D  I know you didn't have a choice, but my favorite ally is the tau, when they are on the ork side there is not a single army build that can beat that. I know, I know, I am getting way off topic, sorry.

Well chalk it up to a learning experience, and now you will be all the more ready for the next tourney. The Ard Boys tourny, should be a big one this year with the new GW headquarters. Maybe if I play well enough we can meet in Tennesee.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Azonalanthious

« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2011, 10:44:10 AM »
A good batrep, a "didn't lose" is what happens to us all to keep us humble. After all if we win all the time then people do not want to play you any more, so you have to give them a game once in a while so that they have hope.

Ah, I "don't lose" a good 3-4 times a month at our friendly monday night games, but that's because I use random lists I think will be fun to play or try out goofy tactics just for kicks.  I go with a lot tougher lists and tighter playstyle at tournies though.  Still, I guess it might indeed be a good thing to hit a hiccup even at a tourny now and then.

For the record, the tournie winners were indeed an ork-ork team.  :D