News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Home-brewed Decal Woes  (Read 735 times)

Offline Ansteadt

Home-brewed Decal Woes
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:21:08 AM »
So, I play Guard and dont want to use the generic "Cadian" Decals for my unit markings.  I already have a marking system laid out and ready for application.  But I'm having some difficulties with the homemade decals.  They seem to not have enough ink on them to stay opaque.  It looks fine on the backing material (white), but when transfered to the shoulder pads, I cant even see the yellow ink anymore.  Also, the decal paper is very thick compared to the GW decals and it doesnt like to sit tight on the curved surfaces.  Any suggestions or ideas? Does somebody out there have an ALPS and is willing to simplify this problem for me? ;)

Im using Inkjet Decal paper, Acrylic Matte Sealer for the topcoat of the transfer, unknown brand of decal paper, and the decal itself is in MS Word format.

Thanks guys!
Although it would be nice to credit the General with fearing for his own troop's safety, it would probably be the case the he was not given the opportunity to lay waste to his own men in a wonderful show of power to the enemy.

Offline No Remorse

• Ancient
Re: Home-brewed Decal Woes
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:02:29 AM »
Get yourself some decal solvent as well as decal sealer that should help you out

Offline Ansteadt

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 04:59:32 PM »
Just got those and that should solve the plastic part of the decal problem.  But how many have had a similar problem with yellow ink? How did you take care of that problem?
Although it would be nice to credit the General with fearing for his own troop's safety, it would probably be the case the he was not given the opportunity to lay waste to his own men in a wonderful show of power to the enemy.

Offline IainC

• Mad prophet of the Whalepocalypse
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 05:29:31 PM »
Paint over the yellow part with yellow paint. I rarely use decals of any kind but when I do I always paint over the top of them. Also allows you to highlight the designs that way.
World's first ever Dark Eldar player... Don't be hatin' now.

My wargaming and painting blog

My games industry blog

Offline finoro

• They couldn't hit a bull squiggoth at this range!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 04:25:12 AM »
A possibility make the decals large enough to cover the whole shoulder pad and print the decals with the armour colour as well as the unit insignia. Lay this over a neutral base colour and it may work. Probably it will need touching up with paint.

I have never tried to make my own decals. Its good to know that its possible :)

The farseers of the Eldar are rich in lore and know all the ways of skinning cats. Do not ask which way is best lest the knowledge burn your soul.

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #5 on: December 1, 2007, 04:19:44 AM »
Try replacing the ink in the printer cart.
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.
My Home - www.ajb2k3.co.uk 2008.