News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar basic tactics? Help for complete newbies needed.  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
So, I've been thinking more and more and more about getting into AoS, and I've finally committed to doing it (once my Deathwatch army is squared away). But here's the thing: I've read the rules and seen the warscrolls, and read all of Killersquid's batreps (and thanks, by the way), but I still have no clear idea how the game works and what kind of army I should look into building.

So, what are the basic tactics involved? What formations of units are good or useful? How important is shooting or magic or combat compared to the other phases? I gather objective claiming is key, but what constitutes a good objective claimer?

If somebody who knows what they're doing can give me some advice, that would be most appreciated.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Age of Sigmar basic tactics? Help for complete newbies needed.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 04:46:41 PM »
This is sort of a broad subject, but I've been jumping into AoS pretty hard after my 40k Hiatus (went to a two day event a couple weeks ago, and have two tournaments coming up in the next two months), so I'll try and answer these questions the best I can.

So, what are the basic tactics involved?

So, I'm going to compare to 40k, as the games have a lot of similarity, and everyone here knows the innerworkings of 40k. Also, I tend to think on a more 'competitive' instead of narrative mindset, as if you're playing narrative, nothing I say matters anyway.

So, the biggest difference in gameplay between 40k and Aos I find, is that in 40k, it's a game where you try and table your opponent, and in AOS, it's a game you play for objectives.

Tabling your opponent isn't a win condition in AoS, and it's very possible to win, and have no models left.

The best way to play AoS, is with the Generals Handbook missions (or the six in the core rulebook). They are all very tactical and well balanced on the whole. Each mission requires your army to do different things, which means your army needs to be flexible to accomplish each of the missions 'quirks'. Each 'season' of the Generals Handbook has new missions, which share themes to previous missions, but have their own quirk. 2017, was about units of 20+ models, 2018 is about artifacts and wizards.

Almost every mission features progressive scoring (in one way or another), so you need to be agressive and claim objectives eary, so you don't get too far behind on points and can't catch up.

With that out of the way, the most important things I think to have in your list right now, are screening units, and wizards (or some way to dispell spells). AoS, has a lot of units which can be incredibly fast, and Turn 1 deepstriking is a thing, unlike in 40k. taking up board space is critical, to block off where people can move (as you cannot move within 3" of enemy models, unless you're charging, or in combat), and to control where deepstrikers can go. Screens also protect your heavy hitting units from being charged too early.

With unbinding at 30", and endless spells being a thing, having a wizard is great so your opponent can't just dominate one phase of the game. Even having a cheap wizard to dispel an annoying endless spell is great to have.

What formations of units are good or useful?

This depends on the faction, to be honest. Cheap horde units to take up board space is great. Good assault units with FLY are great top go over screens. Battalions are hit or miss, depending on the battalion. Some are fantastic, some are a complete waste of points. But, in all cases limiting your drops, the extra command point, and extra artifact is almost always worth it.

But, for Drops, either you try to go for 1/2 drops, or you just plan to not care.

How important is shooting or magic or combat compared to the other phases?

AoS is not a shooting game, so shooting is often more for support than anything else. Magic however can be quite good, depending on which wizards you have, and the spells they can cast. Every army can cast endless spells, (except like..Khorne), so no matter how good/bad your wizards warscroll spells are, you can always take those.

My Skyre Army, does a lot of damage in the hero phase with their magic. My flesh Eaters have only support spells, so they do much of their damage the old fashioned way.

Shooting is limited, as the game moves very quickly, and shooting units tend to be very expensive compared to similar units which don't. Great for trying to snipe heros, or already damage units. Artillery can be good, but also hit or miss. If your shooting does mortal wounds though, that's pretty great. I don't think pure gunline armies are amazing competitivly, however.

I gather objective claiming is key, but what constitutes a good objective claimer?

This depends on the mission. In AoS objectives are controled by most models in 6", so, obviously hordes of models are great for that. In some missions, only heros, or wizards can control objectives. In some missions the objective moves around, or you need to take your opponents. Different units do different jobs. For my Skyre army, for example, my Verminlord goes after the objective if I need wizards/heros, as he's very fast, and has a re-rollable save, so he's tough. In other missions, I summon Giant Rats to clog up objectives.

what kind of army I should look into building.

This depends on you.

Right now, there is a difference between have (armies with battletomes), and Have not (armies without battletomes) armies.

You can also play a non-specific grand alliance force, and just go buck wild. Generic Order armies, are for example, quite strong. Chaos is also a strong 'generic' allegiance too.

I think, that all the Battletome armies are great, except for Beastclaw Raiders, and Kharadron Overlords. You can make those armies work, but in the competitive meta, I think they lack the tools needed to compete. The others I think can all do very well.

Some factions have allegence abilties in the Generals Handbook, and I think those factions can all be strong as well.

For an allegence without either of those, you will need to work a bit harder. But, some are still quite strong. I think Spiderfang Grots arn't too bad, Order Draconis is very strong with their battation, and the Pheniox Temple has fantastic units.

If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to answer them. One of the great things about AoS, is that all the warscrolls are avalible, and all the points are avalible in the Warscroll builder page, which is fantastic. The Age of Sigmar mobile app is also very good, and if you get into playing AoS, the subscription to Azyr is very handy.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 09:11:34 PM »
Hey Wyddr, I just started AoS, so I'm not going to throw out any advice, cause it's probably wrong ;). I did fight my second battle which I posted in detail in my Project Thread, if you're interested in how Daughters of Khaine or Idoneth Deepkin might play.

Out of curiosity, what faction are you choosing in AoS?

Though I think I can guess if the portents seem right ;D.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 09:41:07 PM »
Killersquid, thanks so much for all of that--very helpful.

Here's a specific question for you: how good are big monsters? Since everything wounds on a set number (no Toughness/Strength comparison), doesn't that mean a 10 or 12 wound beast is pretty fragile? Or is there something I'm missing? This is related to my choice of faction (see below).

Hey Wyddr, I just started AoS, so I'm not going to throw out any advice, cause it's probably wrong ;). I did fight my second battle which I posted in detail in my Project Thread, if you're interested in how Daughters of Khaine or Idoneth Deepkin might play.

I'll check it out--thanks!

Out of curiosity, what faction are you choosing in AoS?

Though I think I can guess if the portents seem right ;D.

I am currently debating between the Nighthaunt (which have very, very cool models) or Beasts of Chaos (which I've always wanted to collect and this is a good excuse).

It seems very likely that I might have one or two Kharadron Overlords opponents which would constitute the majority of my battles. Thematically, I think the idea of sky-dwarves searching through a beastman-infested wilderness is slightly more appealing than steampunk dwarves firing pistols at ghosts, but I dunno.

The Nighthaunt seem very cool, though. I have trouble wrapping my head around how the units are terribly different from one another (so many of them seem to have virtually the same stats), but there's a lot more there model-wise to make me want to collect them--they just look so cool.

For the Beasts of Chaos, the Gors look cool, but the Beastlord model is very dated and the chariots look bad and I've never really loved the look of Ungors or Dragon Ogres or Bullgors. I do love the fluff, though--better than I like the fluff for the Nighthaunt--and I like Cygors and gors and chaos warhounds and stuff enough that I think I can put together a solid list. I am curious as to how well Cockatrices and Chimeras and stuff hold up (assuming they're available for the faction) and stuff like that. I doesn't seem like the Beasts have a lot of heavy hitters outside of the Bullgors (or maybe I'm wrong?)

Anything any of you know about those two factions would also be appreciated. I don't really care which of them is stronger, per se, but if they have a lot of variety of playstyles or are particularly good at one thing or another, that would be helpful. Do I need a million Gors to play Beasts? Is the Nighthaunt a really small model count? Stuff like that. 

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 10:20:36 PM »
The value of a monster, depends on the monster. My verminlord has 12 wounds, but I think he's invaluable to my army.

Screening units also protect monsters until they are ready to fight.

Both the armies you're thinking about are horde armies.

Hard to say anything about the beast of chaos book right now, without the battletome being out. It'll really depend on how the warscrolls change and allegence abilities. Right now, a lot of the units in the beast of chaos book are fairly low tier. I believe Thunderscorn are the worst faction in the game, and most of the monsters are nothing exciting. So, we'll see what they do with them.

Nighthaunts are very strong. I think the key thing to look at, is which units are battleline or not. I think the grimghast reapers are incredible. They are battleline, crazy fast, Fairly cheap, and have impressive attacks. If I played nighthaunts, I'd start every army with a load of them. Otherwise, you want to run large units, as you can't bring back models if their unit is dead.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 11:47:59 PM »

Hard to say anything about the beast of chaos book right now, without the battletome being out. It'll really depend on how the warscrolls change and allegence abilities. Right now, a lot of the units in the beast of chaos book are fairly low tier. I believe Thunderscorn are the worst faction in the game, and most of the monsters are nothing exciting. So, we'll see what they do with them.

To be fair, Daughters of Khaine were in a similar boat before they got their Battletome. And now they are all-stars lol with their own set of rules and warscroll revisions... So I hope GW don't miss the opportunity to do the same with the beasties.

For the Beasts of Chaos, the Gors look cool, but the Beastlord model is very dated and the chariots look bad and I've never really loved the look of Ungors or Dragon Ogres or Bullgors. I do love the fluff, though--better than I like the fluff for the Nighthaunt--and I like Cygors and gors and chaos warhounds and stuff enough that I think I can put together a solid list. I am curious as to how well Cockatrices and Chimeras and stuff hold up (assuming they're available for the faction) and stuff like that. I doesn't seem like the Beasts have a lot of heavy hitters outside of the Bullgors (or maybe I'm wrong?)

I will also be following what happens with the Beasts of Chaos, as I am interested in collecting them, but haven't really decided yet. I'm with you on that the Gors are what have me really interested, though I think the Bullgors still have some appeal. I think the new herdstone is going to be a critical piece of terrain for the beastmen, or at least I hope it is, cause it looks really cool!

I'm hoping we'll get some previews of the new battletome next week. Actually, I hope the battletome gets released as well! ;D

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 06:01:36 AM »
The book's not on pre-order yet, we'll need to wait for at least that ha ha.

The Herdstone already has rules in the generals handbook, it's had rules since 2017. It's just never had a model. I'm sure they'll spiff it up a bit more too.

I'm more curious to what the endless spells do,and if they change warscrolls, and how the allegiance abilites will work, with multiple factions in one book.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria