News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chaos Warhound  (Read 18288 times)

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
Chaos Warhound
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:34:47 AM »
Stage 1: Feet of Doom

It all started when I walked into my local GW:

"Hey, how do you fancy an expense paid trip to Nottingham?"

"What's the catch?"

"Well there's a Fanatic Games GT and we're looking for somebody to do the IT work for the weekend....."

Well it sounded easy enough, so I signed up, booked some time off of work and then waited for the fast approaching date to come. Then the week before I got hit with:

"There's been a change of plan, we need you to ref the Warmaster GT."

"Ok..... You do know I don't play Warmaster, right?"

"Don't worry, here's the rule book, go learn it."

So off I went and tried to cram a new game system in just 3 days (With mixed results) after all being a Fanatic event most of the players would be well knowledge in the rules and chances are the worst I'd have to cope with would be a couple of 'Can x see y?' questions....

Of course it didn't quite go to plan. The weekend of the GT one of the players didn't show up and we were left with a odd number, suddenly we needed a stand in and I got the job of having my butt kicked in Warmaster all weekend (Well 3 butt kickings, 2 close games and 1 where it was over in about 15mins and 2 turns..... Still the extra drinking time in the bar was welcome.)

Anyway I digress, there I am in GWs flag ship store suffering from to many Elves and not enough Boltguns, it was time for some retail therapy.

2 Weeks later and the result of that therapy turned up in a little cardboard box.

Well not so little......

Now I've put together plenty of Forgeworld models before, they take a little extra work than the plastic kits, cleaning, trimming and bending parts to fit, but they are still pretty straight forward. So I set about unpacking and storing through a number of bags of parts looking for a good place to start, in the end as much as starting with the guns was tempting the logical place to start was the feet.

^Well that's 24 main parts to the feet, more parts than some complete kits have (And all the hydraulics piled in the top right hand corner) On the bright side the flash on them was minimal (For a resin kit and nothing that couldn't be cleaned off with a pair of snips.)

With the toes cleaned up it was off to the sink with them for a drip in some warm soapy water and a good scrub with a tooth brush.

With the parts cleaned and tried I moved on to the first dry fitting to try and get and idea of how to best position the joints, a local super market turned up a cheap wooden chopping board that would serve as a base and blue tac helped keep the parts together

Now it was ok, but I've seen a few Warhounds at campaign events now and they all seem to have the same (Somewhat static) pose (Except for one I've seen that looks like it's just tripped over and Ewok) and so I went looking for something that would give my Warhound more of a sense of movement while still keeping both feet attached to the base so the weight of the whole Titan wouldn't be left on one leg.  :-\

Well that was the dry fit, after playing with it for a while I realised the toes were slightly over extended for the hydraulics to fit them and so went to plan B:

The front slope of the Rhino helped raise the toes into a better position and after only a little adjustment I set about pinning the segments of the foot together, to try and get a solid join I drilled through the entire length of the 2nd toe joint and ran a single pin in each toe that linked from the 1st to the 3rd segments.

Now with the idea of the Warhound moving forwards and stamping down on the Rhino I had a better sense of how I wanted the 'back' foot to look.

Bring the foot up onto the toes provided a new problem in aligning them, solved by the shorter pins connecting joints 1 and 2 and the horizontal pins linking 2 and 3. This also let me leave the 2 outside toes so they would pivot a little, something that I hoped would help me when it came time to fix the foot to the base.

With everything pinned and most of it glued I moved on to the hydraulics, most of which come in 2 parts so they can be cut to fit depending on how the model is positioned. This turned into an hour long trim fest, cut a little off and try and dry fit, cut a little more off..... Then as I was nearly finished one of the parts pinged off across the room never to be seen again, this left me with one toe with no hydraulics to fit and so I went back to the old Chaos stand by of 'If in doubt add tentacles'  :o

Well 48 parts done and I've got 2 feet mostly together, must admit I'm not sure if I should start working up the legs now or pin the feet to the base and add a few more details to them.

Or there's always a big plasma gun to play with.......  ;D

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
Re: Chaos Warhound
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 12:09:07 PM »
Wow, you posted pictures of the Titan's foot and the entire thread already looks promising.

I know it's a bit early but how big is the base of that beast going to be?
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:11:47 PM »
At the moment the base is 12” across, not sure if I’ll stick with that size as it can be a pain at times but it’s the same size as I used for my Thunderhawk and that worked pretty well.

Anyway on with round 2.

Continuing with the ‘from the ground up’ approach I started looking at ways to support the finished models weight, with the right foot being up on it’s toes I didn’t want to put much load on it, should be fine for balance but not so hot for holding the whole thing up. That kind of narrowed my options to…. Well to the left foot, the problem with that being that it’s on top of the Rhino.

So I started looking at ways to reinforce the foot/Rhino assembly, the first option looked to be to pin the Rhino to the base, then the sole of the foot to the roof of the Rhino. Then by drilling in through the tops of the toes I could pin them to the Rhino. This idea threw up it’s own ‘issues’, first off the thin skin of the Rhino wouldn’t provide much depth to pin into, second it would involve a lot of pins.

So pinning the foot to the Rhino was out and after a little out of the box thinking Plan B was developed: Pin the leg to the base!

Well that solved the whole foot and Rhino problem, but I had the feeling my tools may not have been up to the job.

Time to break out the big guns.

Firstly the Rhino had to be dealt with as it was blocking the leg from the base. With more luck than judgement it turned out the hatch hole in the top of the Rhino hole more or less lined up with the path the drill would need to take.

Taking a rough measurement from the top of the Rhino and adding a couple of inches to sink it into the base and up into the leg gave me the pin size that I’d need.

Next up was a hole in the foot, drilled at first with the pin vice so it could be dry pinned to the leg with just a paper clip and allow a little room for mistakes. As it turned out I got it lined up first time and after double checking that the hydraulics for the leg would fit with the way I had it set I moved onto the bigger drill.

End result:

And with the Rhino in place:

Anyway just a short up date as Real Lifetm is once again preventing me from playing with small toys

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »
Looks fantastic thus far, and it's just a pair of feet.

Can't wait to see this come together.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 04:45:18 PM »
I'll be keeping an eye on this...... it'll look really good, I know it.

Take it slow, and make it awesome!

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 05:26:22 PM »
OMG I love it to and it's just the feet

the feet pose looks great

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 01:11:12 PM »
When you sculpt the base, make sure that the Rhino looks like being pushed down (i.e. into the mud).

Offline Mr.Zombie Pogo Stick

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 02:28:30 PM »
That looks great!

Looking forward to more!
Can I have sex with it while killing it? - Daniel, Duck Lord of the True Kin
I always thought Autarch's were a bit fruity - Seraph Tenacious
oh holy jumped-up christ on a pogo-stick! - Rasmus
Hey look i can post the word poop fifty times -DestroyerOfWorlds
seven randomly selected Lithuanians get mumps every time someone digs up an old thread - Mr Peanut
Be yourself, don't take anyone's amphetamine parrot, and never let them take you alive." - Gerard Way

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 03:29:49 PM »
When you sculpt the base, make sure that the Rhino looks like being pushed down (i.e. into the mud).

Already got that in mind, can't see it from the pictures but the Rhino has already had parts cut off to alter the angle it sits at. May take some more off so it sits lower on the base rather than having to sculpt the base up.

So onwards and upwards.....

Still working on the leg that will take most of the finished models leg I came to the first joint. But then there's no telling if I'll want to carve a big hole in that plate at some point

Again this was going to need pinning, but I wasn't sure the curve of the joint and the reduced surface area that allows the hydraulics to slot into place would allow me to get a secure fit (Again I wanted to use a much large pin than normal)

After a while playing with blue tac and trying a few different dry fits I came up with a cunning plantm. The double hydraulic ram that sits in the front of the joint could be used in the pinning process

Drilling through the centre out the upper part of the ram before sliding the lower part into place and drilling back down through the hole I'd just made in the top let me get a well lined up pilot hole. Lining the hole up with the 2 parts of the leg wasn't quite so easy, but a lot of measuring and then a little guessing gave me the fit I was after.

(You can just make out the pin hole drilled into the upper section of the leg as it's bent back over, ready to be swung over and lined up with the pin.)

Of course this pin wasn't quite the size I was after, but fitting it had given me a set of pilot holes and after a few mins with the power drill on a very slow speed to bore out each of the pin holes I had this:

Best of all the pre building I had done turned out to be spot on (Which I really wasn't expecting) and the pin slotted perfectly into the 2 parts of the leg and is almost indistinguishable from the real part.

Of course when I then slipped the front shin guard into place it completely hide the hydraulics anyway so it will never been seen.

Now one of my main worries with the leg positioning from the start had been getting the hips to line up with one leg on the Rhino and the other directly on the base, if one was higher than the other it would twist the Titans pelvis and leave the heavy upper body on a major slant, so with one leg now free standing I grabbed a fist full of blue tac and drilling just a few small pin holes I tried a try fit on the other.

Very pleased to find out it's almost spot on level, which means I can now take both legs to pieces and then put them back together with glue (Everything so far is just dry pinned) and fit the remaining rams.

Which will then allow me to move on to something a little more interesting than feet......

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 01:00:48 PM »
Ok, well things have stalled a little....

Hit one of those moments where I can't do X until I've done Y, can't do Y until Z is finished and Z is waiting for X.

Basically the converting work I want to do on the out side couldn't be done until the upper body was put together. Couldn't put it together until it was painted and couldn't paint until the converting work was done.

Well something had to give and so the pots of paint came out.

^ The rear of the upper body. Actually it's 3 sections glued together, and if I could only give 1 piece of advice about working on models like this it would be: Don't use (not-so) super-glue. I've seen a lot of large FW models fall apart in peoples hands over the last few years, a lot of them haven't been pinned but even a few that have been pinned have still collapsed under their own weight. My solution is Araldite, it's a 2 part epoxy glue that comes in either 2 tubes (messy) or a double barrel syringe. You squeeze out equal parts of the 2 chemicals and mix them. The end result is a bond that makes super glue look like pritstick..... Anyway rant over.

Looking back I probably shouldn't have glued it before painting it, but at the time I wasn't sure how I was going to progress with the project and "It seemed like a good idea at the time". Still it's not harder to get to the detail than the front section, just a little heavier.

Speaking of the front.

^ And the front.

Still a fair bit to be done before I can join the 2 parts together and fit the internal door and the Titans shoulder joints. But it's all a step in the right direction.

Speaking of 'steps'

^Still nothing glued but I'm happy(er) the set up will work, of course I can't set the final position of the legs until the base is more defined.

Oh and after far to much time working on my Deathguard I dug out my 1000nd Sons this weekend and started work on a new Daemon Prince for them.

Not 100% sure about the head, may have to look through the bits box again.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 01:08:41 PM »
Keep the head.... makes the Tzeentch follower look like an idiot...

Nice work on the very upright Warhound Titan, very cool and commanding view.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 02:51:01 PM »
The interior looks great. I like the way the Ad Mech priest turned out.

Fantastic paint job if I may say so.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 02:54:35 PM »
Nice to see you somewhere other than the rumour board Tryanother :D

Awesome work so far. I love the pose on top of the rhino. Brings the model to life :D

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 05:19:37 PM »
Nice to see you somewhere other than the rumour board Tryanother :D

Contrary to popular belief, I do post in places other than the rumour mill. ;)

Offline khaine

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #14 on: November 5, 2008, 09:42:01 AM »
Thanks for the feed back, I always start to worry when I try something different as what looks cool to one person may just look 'silly' to another.

Anywayz..... On with the base.

Got the basics of the base detail laid down with Das clay, thinking about it afterwards I wish I'd sunk some screws part way into the base to give the clay something more solid to grip on. Guess time will tell if it will stay in place or come away in a giant lump.

Also did a little work on the shin guards, they look great straight out the box but I wanted to give it a slightly more 'Nurglesque' feel and keep it in line with the work I did on my Thunderhawk. (Also it's always fun raming a power drill through an expensive FW kit.)

I want to stick a bigger hole in the center of the guard and make it look like it's taken a major hit, would also help show off some of the leg detail that is hidden when the shin guard is in place. But the Chaos Star/Face on it is just to nice to destroy......

And a (Very dark) pic of the foot (Will retake it when I get chance)

Offline Da Pittman

• You Are Biomass
    • Electric Cog Design
« Reply #15 on: November 5, 2008, 09:44:47 AM »
Looking sweet, can't wait to see more

Offline GregBluhm

« Reply #16 on: November 5, 2008, 10:43:14 AM »
That is looking really great.  Can't wait to see it finished/painted.

It's funny but I had the same idea with my Revenant Titan (stepping on a Rhino).

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »
what else can i say but step on it!

looks great
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline Deadspace

« Reply #18 on: November 5, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »
Looks like a really promising build.  Can't wait to see more.

Incidentally, thank you for the idea for a wooden chopping block for a base.  I've been thinking about getting a Warhound for a while (should have saved up by about 2012 or so :D) and I was completely stumped on what to use as a base.

« Reply #19 on: November 6, 2008, 02:31:44 PM »
The base looks great. I can't wait to see more progress.

Hurry up, please. :D