News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 9th 40kOnline UK Tournament in partnership with Bracknell Forest Gamers  (Read 45871 times)

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
Re: 9th 40kOnline UK Tournament in partnership with Bracknell Forest Gamers
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »
Hymirl, remember we have to fight for the glorious title of actual 8th place holder for the 8th tournament.

Oh, you know what? We'll just settle it in the final when we both get there this time round, okay? But I'll be damned if I'll be fighting for 1st place, I just want that 8th place spot secured.

I am definitely interested, but I need to find out when my wife wants to book our summer holiday- I am not sure she wants to plan that far in advance. Unfortunately I don't think "I have a wargames tournament so we can't go on holiday" will fly with her...

Pfffft. Try anyway, see what happens.  ;)

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 07:18:01 PM »
Hymirl, remember we have to fight for the glorious title of actual 8th place holder for the 8th tournament.

Oh, you know what? We'll just settle it in the final when we both get there this time round, okay? But I'll be damned if I'll be fighting for 1st place, I just want that 8th place spot secured.

Too many people holding grudges against me! :P

But yeah, I'll fight you on table one instead! Thats fine too..  ;D
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Teg

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 03:32:59 AM »
Sign me up for the slaughter! :D

Random game length: Keep the random length.  It's an integral part of how 40k works, that we don't know exactly when the game ends.  We can still have a time limit, which will be best for making sure people finish at the same time.

Pts limit:  I don't really mind which limit we use, though it goes without saying more points means longer game, and may lengthen games beyond the time limit.  Also, 1500pts is the standard here, and finding someone to playtest at 1500 is easier that with other values.  Then agian, we could just set a trend for 2000pts at BFG...

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 04:30:58 AM »
Well ok, but I'm gonna be mean! And try not to turn up with a softy softy marine biker army this time!

same, nothing so simple as a bunch of guys with shotguns for me. this xmas will be new army time.

In that vein I wouldn't mind playing 1750 I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world. Just tell people to keep the pace up! It won't make that much difference in the long run, I find most people tend to take 1500 point armies and add a land raider or something!
i find that as well. i remember when i was in the states. we have a scaled tourney (4 games 1k +250 each round) and one player added 3 LR's , 1 each round to 1750.
However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline g00gle5

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 06:35:51 AM »
In that vein I wouldn't mind playing 1750 I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world. Just tell people to keep the pace up! It won't make that much difference in the long run, I find most people tend to take 1500 point armies and add a land raider or something!
i find that as well. i remember when i was in the states. we have a scaled tourney (4 games 1k +250 each round) and one player added 3 LR's , 1 each round to 1750.

We have an Escalation tournament at BFG on Saturday so I'll take note how long the average game lasts for the 2000 point limit. I'm generally a very quick player, even more so with my new CSM army (played a 2k point game on Monday that lasted just over an hour) and let you guys know how I feel about us running the larger games.

On a side note, for my extra 500 points to make 2000 I've just added a squad of 19 Plague Marines w/ Champion, Fist and 2 Meltas :P

And to reiterate, we'll definitely be playing random game length but fixed time limits (normally 2 hours a game), ignore O!nk's heretic ramblings.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 06:52:42 AM »
You know, in the process of thinking up lists for this thing, I came to a realization; I seem to actually hate winning. Every competitive army list I've considered, I have subsequently rejected on the grounds that I don't like it for some ineffable reason. Seriously, what is wrong with me? I hope the Tyranid re-release makes the stuff I've got more competitive... Seems unlikely somehow
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 06:54:01 AM »
On a side note, for my extra 500 points to make 2000 I've just added a squad of 19 Plague Marines w/ Champion, Fist and 2 Meltas :P

erm... on second thoughts, lets scrap upping the limit  :o lol

yea, checking the average time line of 2000pt games will help make the choice. I do also like the idea of an escalation type day as well... though putting together armies for this sort of thing can be very difficult and I would have thought favours some forces over others?

And to reiterate, we'll definitely be playing random game length but fixed time limits (normally 2 hours a game), ignore O!nk's heretic ramblings.

Well, it was just a musing - having suffered with my Tau due to short games. And really through no fault of my own - i think all the tau players had trouble on the day. I mean, it takes a tau army at least three turns to capture an objective (that is occupied).

Generally, you need to allow at least two turns of shooting to clear the enemy (where another army can shoot and assault to have the same effect). Then you need to be able to move into range of hte objective... which will again take at least one, maybe two turns.

To make matters worse they are simply no good at holding it once there!

What this means is that a Tau army has to start manouvring and clearing objectives on turn 2... whilst other armies are still happily targetting enemy threats and whittling down the enemy force before thinking about objectives!

In any case, it means I won't be using the Tau this time around.

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
    • Bracknell Forest Gamers
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 07:15:39 AM »
Hymirl, remember we have to fight for the glorious title of actual 8th place holder for the 8th tournament.........

Shouldn't that be 9th place for the 9th Tourney

...erm... on second thoughts, lets scrap upping the limit  :o lol
But wwhy that's only an EXTRA unit of bikerrNobz not much in it really :)
Bagpipe's are not deadly weapons !. Well it depend who's playing them ! ;)
Bracknell Forest GamersThe Gaming Club Network - GAME ON ![/B]
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 07:39:46 AM »
An extra 500 points hey? Why is it no matter how much guard stuff I already own, I can't stop myself thinking that a new vendetta, or executioner, or something I don't own or have the money for is the best plan of action?

::)
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline g00gle5

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 08:17:25 AM »
You know, in the process of thinking up lists for this thing, I came to a realization; I seem to actually hate winning. Every competitive army list I've considered, I have subsequently rejected on the grounds that I don't like it for some ineffable reason. Seriously, what is wrong with me? I hope the Tyranid re-release makes the stuff I've got more competitive... Seems unlikely somehow

You know, I'm incredibly similar in that regard at times! I take ridiculous armies that are a nightmare against some people but aren't rounded enough to win the actual tournament (Deathwing, 18x Crisis Suits, 5KP Chaos army). The one time I brought a truly competitive army (my Crons) I lost out to O!nk by a fraction; if only I had made that last armour save... stupid flyer.

yea, checking the average time line of 2000pt games will help make the choice. I do also like the idea of an escalation type day as well... though putting together armies for this sort of thing can be very difficult and I would have thought favours some forces over others?

My army for Saturday is going to struggle a lot at 1000 points; I'm just hoping I draw the right kind of opponent. Not so worried about the other point limits. 500 especially will be amusing (20x Beserkers w/ Champ and Fist).

Well, it was just a musing - having suffered with my Tau due to short games. And really through no fault of my own - i think all the tau players had trouble on the day. I mean, it takes a tau army at least three turns to capture an objective (that is occupied).

Generally, you need to allow at least two turns of shooting to clear the enemy (where another army can shoot and assault to have the same effect). Then you need to be able to move into range of hte objective... which will again take at least one, maybe two turns.

To make matters worse they are simply no good at holding it once there!

What this means is that a Tau army has to start manouvring and clearing objectives on turn 2... whilst other armies are still happily targetting enemy threats and whittling down the enemy force before thinking about objectives!

In any case, it means I won't be using the Tau this time around.

Unfortunately, that is the Tau's problem and I don't want to change the whole dynamic of the game/tournament because one army doesn't like close combat. Allowing Mechdar the safety of knowing when to send their skimmers to contest objectives is just too gruelling an idea for me to contemplate. It wouldn't surprise me if Tau get some piece of wargear or asset in the next codex which allows them to get the extra turns on a 2+/3+, similar to one of the old Space Marine traits. Think it would be very suitable for the Tau using the extra time to blast their opponents off the board.

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 08:34:52 AM »
My army for Saturday is going to struggle a lot at 1000 points; I'm just hoping I draw the right kind of opponent. Not so worried about the other point limits. 500 especially will be amusing (20x Beserkers w/ Champ and Fist).
Oh yeah it going to struggle

boy I love having pre set narrative objectives for eah round :) ;D
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline g00gle5

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 08:44:08 AM »

But bear in mind I'm pure awesomesauce and might see an amazing tactic at the word go which you have breezed over and not even considered I'd attempt. :P

Remember on Monday when everyone told me that Chris' Khorne Daemons were going to munch me and I didn't stand a chance and I went 9-0 in Kill Points and tabling him in just over an hour? Yeah, that's right, same might happen on Saturday ;)

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 08:48:28 AM »

But bear in mind I'm pure awesomesauce and might see an amazing tactic at the word go which you have breezed over and not even considered I'd attempt. :P

Remember on Monday when everyone told me that Chris' Khorne Daemons were going to munch me and I didn't stand a chance and I went 9-0 in Kill Points and tabling him in just over an hour? Yeah, that's right, same might happen on Saturday ;)

OR - "our Nobz bikers should be able to handle those Mega Nobz, no need to charge the boyz in as well "  :P
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2009, 11:28:55 AM »
I also vote we ban anyone who has less than 342 posts on the basis that they're not an active member of the forum! ;D
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 11:47:55 AM »
I propose nobody with less than 11051 posts is allowed to attend.

Offline 666_Mutley_666

• Mass debating - a filthy group habbit!
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:03 PM »

just you going then? lol

ill be back for this one, will have to try and motivate myself to paint my other armies so im not using demons all the time lol
oink is a nancy!

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 02:41:03 PM »
I also vote we ban anyone who has less than 342 posts on the basis that they're not an active member of the forum! ;D
Bribary won't get you extra points (posts at time 343 :))
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

• Ancient
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 06:52:39 PM »

just you going then? lol

ill be back for this one, will have to try and motivate myself to paint my other armies so im not using demons all the time lol

Nope, it will be me, Ardeth Rasmus, Bacon Rummy and TheMightyPikachu, who's not been around for beslubbering YEARS. Should be a gay old time

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 11:24:35 AM »
From a purely painting point of view setting the points value for the tournie should be done as early as possible to allow contenders to focus on the truly terrifying prospect ahead.  :'(

I will turn up with one of three armies just damn well cant figure out which!  ;D

1500pts allows easy comparison to other UK based tournies. It also means less painting than 1700 or 2000 so i favour it.
I might add that reducing painting targets is one of my prime life objectives lol. Hence i own no horde armies lmao.
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

Offline 666_Mutley_666

• Mass debating - a filthy group habbit!
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 02:51:37 AM »
I will turn up with one of three armies just damn well cant figure out which!  ;D

face it you'll only paint another 2 models in the next 10 months so you'll be using the same list agian :P lmao
oink is a nancy!