News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Teleporting  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Eldar Viking

Teleporting
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:03:23 AM »
Hello,

I've noticed from the posts on this forum that people use the Grey Knights ability to teleport quite often and love warp quake to stop opponents doing it. In my gaming group no-one ever deep strikes (except my non scattering hawks) because it is too likely you will scatter onto terrain and have a mishap. My question is how do you do this so effectively and not mishap? I'm trying to help my friend become more successful with his Grey Knights and Teleporting seems a brilliant way to get your expensive models across the battlefield but I've never known deep strike to work.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:11:12 AM by Eldar Viking »

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
Re: Teleporting
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 09:06:40 AM »
 Most of the time the mishap happens because the initial model scatters on top of something impassable (unit/wall etc). Deep striking isn't that scary if there's an opening with a radius of about 8". A player always takes a risk when deepstriking but the above number should be enough most of the times.
 The situation gets tough when the opponent's units are evenly spread which makes mishapping easier, but then they can't concentrate that much firepower on the squad in question so it kinda evens out.
 As for you not seeing deepstriking working... well I can't think of an answer for that. I've been playing daemons for a long time - pre and post the god mode flamers and screamers, and with the new codex and I've always utilized deepstriking (well in my case it is build in the army but so it is with much of the stuff that grey knights have). Previous to that (and of late) I've also been playing my marines using deepstriking terminators and GoI sternguard. In your case the combination of type and quantity of terrain pieces may well be the case...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:08:15 AM by Radec »

Offline Eldar Viking

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:18:59 AM »
The gap between scenery when we play is usually just big enough for a Land Raider to fit through laterally and about 6" or so forward. Add Aegis lines, Troops, Tanks and Monstrous Creatures and there is no real option to scatter. There are certainly no gaps with a radius of 8" as this would require a 16" wide gap and no-one would play that as no cover would be available. I could try asking for less terrain but where we play the person who does the terrain is very touchy on it.

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »
 I forgot to specify but what I meant by "gaps" dind't exclude dangerous tarrain - only impassable and such that would cause mishap. Deepstriking and taking dangerous terrain tests is something that should be expected.
 Clearly the amount of terrain, of that given type that blocks deepstriking, is what causes the problem. In that regard "How much terrain" is another topic altogether. The club, my gaming group and I visit, has 6 very distinctive tables with terrain, ranging from forests through cities and deserts. We regularly play with more than the 25% table space, taken by terrain, recommended in the rules (the terrain btw is of all variety) and no one has experienced the problems you describe. In addition we constantly switch from per-arranged terrain to the variant in which players arrange it according to their strategy.
  I'm sorry to say this, but your problem(if it can be viewed as problem at all - it depends on the point of view) is entirely local and has nothing to do with anything associated with the deepstrike rules/tactics/strategies themselves, which you limit by placing too much terrain. You play this way by choice (whether it is your choice or another one's is another matter).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:35:50 AM by Radec »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:46:18 AM »
Just to reiterate what Radec said, deepstriking into terrain does not cause a mishap unless the terrain is classified as impassable. If any other model can move through it, then you can deepstrike into it/on it with no problem.

Thinking that difficult (or even dangerous) terrain causes mishaps is a commonly held misconception that can be cleared up by simply re-reading the deepstrike rules. I run into this misunderstanding at tournaments all the time, and I'm quick to direct them to the rulebook.

Basically, deepstriking isn't all that risky so long as you give yourself a 6"-8" between you and potential mishap targets (enemy units, a board edge, etc.). Also, a safety tip: if playing against a deepstrike-heavy army, do not spread out in an attempt to cause a mishap. More often than not this will simply backfire and leave your army too spread out to effectively respond to a concentrated drop on one flank of your force.

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »
You might wanna have your friend take a look at the rules for his servo skulls and figure out if he can take any in his lists.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Eldar Viking

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 03:38:05 AM »
Thanks,

I did in fact go home last night and re-read the rules and picked up on our mistake. Don't know how we all missed it (especially when one mate goes a club weekly and attends tournaments). Deep striking does now look more appealing and should catch everyone out too first time.