News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330584 times)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #440 on: August 21, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »
It surely been a while since i could drop by this topic :D What you've been up to look really cool ! I like the walker a lot!

I'm really looking forware to those battle report because I love reading yours!

I'm curious about your way of utilising the avatar if it's not straying away from your main topic, you seems to play it defensively, while k've found succes in playing him offensively. I curious about you intake on him.

Srly man keep this up you never stop to amaze me.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #441 on: August 22, 2015, 08:31:42 AM »
@Ibushi- Thanks man! Yeah about the Walkers I am going to do "Stealth" Walkers in all black, but I actually airbrushed these things red before I had come up with the concept for my "stealth force". Thanks for the clarification on rage/rampage luckily I played it right in my last game (though Tau defensive grenades took it away). As for the bat-rep with the Banshees they are actually on the subscribers channel for Scorpion82 on youtube. I do think they are featured on his Sisters Vs. Eldar channel which is freely available:

Eldar vs Sisters of Battle Warhammer 40K Battle Report CTS19: SAINTS & SPIDERS!

Also please let me know how TSHIFT goes. If I was anywhere near a tourney scene I'd definitley be involved. I used to play in local tourneys all the time before I moved (4th-5th ed). Please keep us updated cause I love to follow what other Eldar players are up to.

@Grizzlykin- Thanks buddy, glad you like the Walkers! Its no trouble at all going back a few posts, please ask me any questions you may have, I post a lot so going back to any previous posts is no problem at all. As for my use of the Avatar, I wouldn't say I use him defensively, I'd say cautiously. He's only as a tough as a Wraithguard and his Invuln. Save is not great so he can't tangle with premier CC units (any kind of Stormshield, Thunderhammer unit is death) and he's slow so it can be difficult to getting him to his choice matchups. So my general philosophy is to cautiously inch him up the board, keeping him behind cover and only really unleashing him in the middle turns of the game when my opponents force has been significantly reduced in numbers and usually in disarray. This allows him to go after isolated chunks of my opponents force, or clear key objectives.

My secondary use for him (but ULTRA important) is to defend my high-value shooting units like Jetbikes, and Dire Avengers who are holding objectives. I've found that in the games I've lost its because I've not had a powerful close-combat unit who can stop fast CC units from chasing down my Jetbikes or Dire Avengers. The Avatar excels in that role especially when supported by Striking Scorpions and Wraithblades. The Striking Scorpions really helping because they are usually infiltrated far ahead of the Avatar and Wraithblades but importantly extending a large threat bubble, where any one of those units can grab something in CC, pin it down and hold it long enough for other CC units to help.

Anyway thats my long-winded explanation for how I like to use him. Let me know what you think, as I'm going to try and push this theory to the forefront in the coming weeks. I wish I was playing a bigger battle today because I want to try it with my Wraithknight as well.

@Everyone- Anyway stay-tuned and keep those questions coming. I love talking tactics with you guys. Keep an eye out for an upcoming bat-rep and wish me luck!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #442 on: August 23, 2015, 01:19:12 AM »
Thumbs up! Never a disappointment my friend. Makes me want to paint more but finding time has become hard.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #443 on: August 24, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »
I think that the War Walkers look great, especially in that rocky terrain.  The contrast between the colour of the terrain and the red is really impressive.  You really did pick your colour scheme very well.  The rocks combined with that red all adds to that 'Flash Gordon' theme that we've discussed before ;).  I'm looking forward to seeing more.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #444 on: August 25, 2015, 08:22:22 AM »
The warwalkers look beautiful indeed. I think they look perfect, and they could always be a 'last minute addition' to the stealth insertion team. ;)
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #445 on: August 26, 2015, 07:49:08 AM »
@Dread- Thanks buddy, glad your enjoying the updates. Stay tuned because I've got some cool stuff on the way!

@Irisado- Thanks as always Irisado. My brother and I both considered very heavily the look of terrain in comparison to the colors of our armies. My brother's Guard are meant to blend into the terrain while mine are meant to stand-out.

@Vonny- Thanks Vonny. In my mind these Walkers in particular are for the front-lines of the Warhost, perhaps operating behind an Aegis defense line or flanking my Wraithknight. The next squadron will be in all black and will indeed be a part of my "stealth brigade" alongside the Scorpions, Rangers and future black shuriken-cannon monster hunter Jetbikes!

Battle Report

@Everyone- Time for another bat-rep. So this'll be a bit short since it was a short game but I took a lot of photos so hopefully that offsets it. So to begin with the mission was essential a 3-on-3 free for all/king of the hill type mission. The 3 forces were my Eldar, Space Marines and Tyranids at 1250 pts each.

Eldar
Autarch- Banshee Mask, Fire Sabre
Spirit Seer- Cleansing Flame,
Wraithblades x5- Axes
Avengers x9
   Wave Serpent- Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannons
Avengers x9
   Wave Serpent- Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannons
Hornets x2- Pulse Lasers x4
Nightwing
War Walkers x2- Scatter Lasers x4

Space Marines
Lysander
Terminators x5- TH/SSx4, Lightning Claws x1
Vanguard Vets x8- Mix of Weapons
   Drop-Pod
Scouts x5- Sniper Rifles
Tac Marines x5
Tac Marines x5
Land Speeders x3- Missile Launchers, Multi-Meltas
Devastators x10- 3x Lascannons

Tyranids
Flying Hive Tyrant- x2 Twin-Linked Devourers
Flying Hive Tyrant- x2 Twin-Linked Devourers
Hive Guard x2- Homing Missiles
Lictor
Lictor
Genestealers x7
Genestealers x7
Genestealers x7
Spore Mines x5
MawLock
MawLock

Opening Impressions- To begin with we all agreed to write up casual lists for a fun game. But I feel I continue to overly handicap myself in this regard as I had no answer whatsoever for two flying Hive Tyrants with with nearly 30 twin-linked high strength shots coming in from those dual devourers especially in a 1250 points game. I knew this was going to be a tough one as those Mawlocks were sure to be a pain as well. Nevertheless I gave it my best and played very well.

Tyranids went 1st, Eldar went 2nd, Space Marines went 3rd. So lets begin!

Turn 1

Tyranid Turn 1-
   The Tyrants go airborne and fly to the center of the board. The Spores begin to drift towards my right flank where my Walkers, Wave Serpent and Command Squad are tucked behind cover. Meanwhile the Hive Guard pot shot my Walkers with their homing missiles racking up 2 penetrating hits, one of which I negate with my power field save the other which shakes the Walker meaning its going to snap-fire next turn. Finally the Genestealers and the Lictor also on my right flank shuffle behind LOS blocking cover to prepare to move out next turn. Other than that all is quiet!

Eldar Turn 1-
   I know if I have any chance I have to chew up any Tyranids encroaching on my right flank ASAP. So the Walkers move out and annihilate the Spore Mines. The Wave Serpents move out of LOS from the Flying Hive Tyrants as I cannot afford to be jinkng turn 2 and I basically position myself to deal with any incoming threats and bring my full force to bear turn 2 as my opponents begin to move out.

Space Marines Turn 1-
   The Marines deploy a Drop Pod right in the middle of the board on top of the objective…. and directly in front of both the Flying Hive Tyrants! Why my opponent did this I'll never know. He then pot-shots the Flyrants but to no effect. Turn 1 comes to an end with very little bloodshed. That is changes quickly in turn 2!

Turn 2

Tyranids Turn 2- The Bugs begin their assault. The Hive Tyrants converge on those very expensive Vanguard Vets and annihilate them netting the bugs First Blood. Then one of the Mawlocks pop up smashing my Walkers, and taking out a single Wraithblade. The loss of the Walkers very much hurt, but I made some very good rolls to avoid any serious damage on my command squad. Then the Genestealers and Lictor begin to move out in support of the Mawlock converging on my embattled right flank. Yet little does my opponent know this exactly what I wanted.

Eldar Turn 2- Time to bring the heat! My Nightwing shows up promptly which was very good while my Hornets fail to arrive. My command squad moves out to engage the Mawlock while my Wave Serpent moves to support my them alongside my Avengers who deploy to nullify the Genestealers and Lictor. Combined Psychic powers from my Spiritseer, shuriken fire from the Avengers and fire support from the Wave Serpent eliminate the Lictor and Genestealers, and in the Assault Phase my Autarch, Spirit Seer and Wraithblades rack up 4 wounds on the Mawlock. Yet frustratingly he is able to Hit and Run out of combat and much to my chagrin… I really wanted to bag that big bug. Meanwhile my Flyer fails to deal any damage to Flying Hive Tyrants which does not bode well for my beloved Ace Fighter. Neverthless mission accomplished for the Eldar Turn 2. They've smashed the Tyranids encroaching upon their flank and taken no damage in return.

Space Marines Turn 3- The Space Marine devastators fire another couple of pot-shots at the Flying Hive Tyrants but to no effect. The Landspeeder shows up and fires everything at my Wave Serpent protecting my left flank and absolutley whiff doing no damage after getting a lot of hits. They are very much out of position and with poor firing lanes thus taking them out of the fight which really stinks as I need them to at least distract the Tyranids but its not to be!

Turn 3

Tyranid Turn 3- This is when the Tyranids move into position for the kill. The Hive Tyrants move-off from the center of the board and with one focusing on my Wave Serpent, the other on my Nightwing. With one of my Serpents I choose not to jink and suffer two hull points in response… as I think I may need maximum fire-power next turn (which was a mistake because I should have realized I'd be firing at those Hive Tyrants). The other Hive Tyrant gets a load of hits, pens, and glances on my Nightwing but by some miracle I pass my 2+ jinks and only suffer a single weapon destroyed (brightlance). This was a very good turn for the Tyranids, one I'd be very hard pressed to counter.

Eldar Turn 3- Luckily the Hornets arrive and promptly respond by unloadng on the offending Land Speeders killing all but one. The Nightwing enters on-going reserves to come back on at full firing capacity after jinking. My badly damaged Wave Serpent swings-round to unload everything it has on the Hive Tyrants firing off its Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannons, and Serpent Shield in a wild bid to wound one of the Hive Tyrants. Despite a lot of lucky sixes to hit, only a single wound gets through and the Tyrant passes its grounding check. Meanwhile my other Serpent moves out and backs up to the center hill to try and get my Avengers in a good position to grab that key objective Turn 5, while my Avengers fail to get up to the second level of the ruins to avoid the Mawlocks which'll be returning turn 4. At this point I know I'm in trouble but I'm praying my injured Nightwing can bail me out and take down at least one of those Hive Tyrants…. but even that is a longshot.

Space Marines Turn 3- Lysander and his Terminators finally arrive, deepstriking right on top of the central objective. Perfect Timing and Prescience allow the Devastators to destroy my Wave Serpent emptying out my Avengers. Pot shots coming from all angles reduce them to 4 Avengers and they break. Not sure if this was the best move on the Marines part because now there is almost nothing left to contest the surging Tyranids. In the next turn its going to be all about surviving the Tyranid storm… relying heavily on that 2+/3++ of the Termies.

Turn 4- End of the Game

Tyranid Turn 4- The bugs move in for the kill, one Winged Hive Tyrant Vector strkes my last remaining Serpent removing the last hull point. The Mawlocks both pop up removing 2 more Wraithblades and ALL the Dire Avengers castled up near my command squad (which I planned on moving to the 2nd story to gun down anything on the central objective). The second winged Hive Tyrant shoots down my Nightwing… which is sadly the first time its ever been brought down. Then some shenanigans come into play… the Tyranid player suggests I use all my Dispel Dice against some random psychic power, which I do, then he casts a malediction which reduces the Terminators WS, BS and I to 1! I should have been paying closer attention but the store was a zoo and there was a lot of banter going on. This was a critical mistake and a little cheesy on the Tyranid players part (but not a big deal) because of what happened next. The Lictors and Genestealers come bursting over the hill all but wipe-out Lysander and his retinue of Terminators, thunderhammers, stormshields, feel no pain and all. This was a big deal for both the Space Marine player and myself because I needed the Space Marines to do some damage to those Genestealers if I was going to have a chance to rally my Avengers and have them hop on the objective turn 5. Like I said it wasn't a big deal, and I should have been paying attenton but the appears nigh.

Eldar Turn 4- My last surviving Hornet kills one of the Mawlocks. My Autarch, Spirit Seer and Final Wraithblade eliminates the other one. The Avengers continue to fall back. I at least got revenge on those freaking Mawlocks but victory appears to have slipped away.

Space Marines Turn 4- The Marines pot-shot the flying Hive Tyrants to no effect, and Lysander and his last remaining Terminator are eliminated. At this point we decide to call it, as there is no way for us to challenge the all but unscathed due of flying Hive Tyrants, and the mob of Genestealers led by the Lictor.

Final Thoughts-

The Good- On the positive side I continue to be VERY impressed by the performance of the Wraithblades. Furthermore, the utility of the Spiritseer has really impressed me. Very cheap, but very useful and even rolling up the two powers I wanted least ended up having a huge impact on the game when he imolated the genestealers, lictor and even hurt the Mawlock. My Autarch also had a big game racking up 5 wounds all on his own against the Mawlocks. Impressive stuff indeed, especially with only a Strength 4 weapon! Though a frustrating game, I thought the format was very fun. Besides not asking the other psychic powers the Tyranid player had to cast, and not jinking the Wave Serpent when I was going to target the flying Tyrant next turn I don't feel I made any noticeable mistakes and performed very well against a brutal match-up with double flying Hive Tyrants in a 1250 game.

The Bad- The one mistake I made was not bringing a tougher list. My brother has been on my case for awhile about handicapping myself when no one else is. I feel this is definitley true especially when my opponents openly admit they are list tailoring, which was a bit suprising.

The Take Away- The Eldar close-combat experiment is working. Its made a big impact on my game, the Wraithblades in particular have shined in some very tough match-ups. That little bit of psychic support has paid off very well too. But I do need to continue to add to my army… I tend to favor a take all comers approach which makes for very fun games and in which I've had a ton of success. Yet when tackling opponents who are playing the "bad-matchup game" forcing bad-matchups through list building I feel that I very rarely have a similar element to my army and find myself on the backfoot. I feel that the core of my army makes for a perfect "take-all comers" foundation but that bad-matchup wild card is needed especially against opponents who utilize power-combos and spam. What that new addition will be remains unclear, but I have a couple of candidates in mind.

Future Updates- Stay tuned because I have an exciting new Corsair adapted Aspect Warrior unit which is about to be unveiled, as well as a potential candidate for that bad-matchup type unit! Also I'm going to playing a couple of games this week so expect a new bat-rep and some photos soon. Anyway stay-tuned guys and expect some new stuff to be coming quickly down the pipe- talk to you soon!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #446 on: August 26, 2015, 08:15:17 AM »
Awesome batrep! I love the fact that you take an all-comers list with a non-power gamers approach. I think they are way more fun to play than having tournament list A fight tournament list B. In those battles, more often than not, it's whoever gets first turn or that lucky dice roll that wins. I'd much rather see an experienced player use a handicapped list to the best of his ability against some of the 'cheese' out there. Good show!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #447 on: August 26, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »
Man i love your battle report. They are always intresting to read an I oftzn find tips to use in my game later on. Oh and you manage to make me want to play wraithblade. The more i read you the more i want to have some in my army.

well that's a shame you brought a list that could note compete too much with your opponents, if you had to do a new list for the same type of game what would you do?

Out of this keep up the good work, your army looks really freakin cool on the field!

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #448 on: August 27, 2015, 03:33:15 PM »
@Dog of War- Thanks man! Yeah no matter what the game is I'm always concerned with bringing forces of equal capabilities. While still dedicated to the take-all-comers approach where versatility is my strength I do feel like I could stand to include something nasty in my list, especially when playing against guys who favor the popular power-combos or forcing severe mismatches. 

@Grizzlykin- Thanks man, I'm glad you find some of the tactics useful. As for the Wraithblades, they are SERIOUSLY nasty, especially with psychic support. If I were not so reliant on my Autarch and the reserve manipulation I'd put two Spirit Seers in with a squad of 10. They are really cheap, super-resilient, and just hack the hell out of anything reach. Again they are like the Avatar in that you have to patient to use them, but they can absolutely defend your critical units (Wraithknight, Jetbikes hanging mid-field, War Walkers, Wave Serpents, Dark Reapers) against just about anything. They hacked those Mawlocks to pieces, and would have gotten the Riptide too in the last game if it hadn't ended early. When on the offensive they can easily grab mid-field threats too probably arriving by turn 3, which should limit your opponents retaliation against them. I could see them being even more useful in Maelstrom games where your opponent can't just castle up on a trio of objectives all game.

As for what I would have done differently... against two flying Hive Tyrants there are very few options for Eldar. One idea would be Aegis Defense Line with Icarus Lascannon, Dark Reapers in a Wave Serpent (protecting them from Mawlocks) nearby and have them move out and with the Exarch double-shotting the gun with ignore cover with the Reaper range finder... with an additional flyer in support. The other option is the Crimson Death formation, and spoiler alert... I'm leaning heavily in that direction as it'd give me that bad-match up element to my army that I'm missing. Tons of high strength ap2 fire, the obvious cover save shenanigans, and preferred enemy Flying Monstrous Creatures would devastate those Tyrants. Its something I'm seriously contemplating and I have a nasty paint scheme already in mind.

Anyway thanks as always for your input Grizz I always love talking Eldar with you!

@Everyone- But as promised the future is now! I've started my newest Corsair kitbash for a new Aspect....  Warp Spiders! Its funny how similar the paint scheme is to the official shrine colors. Being able to have the bear actual monofilament weapons (from the Dark Eldar line) is something I'm very happy with. I think they will easily stand-out from their Corsair Hawk brethren. The idea is that these guys are bold commandos who specialize in close-quarters fighting and are masters of their Corsair wings. Let me know what you think!

Also I've magnetized the sword option for my Wraithknight! He has all the options ready to rock. I still want another one for Apocalypse games, one for close-combat the other for ranged combat but until then at least I can try both!

Last but not least my brother made a riser for our board! It came out fantastic and makes wargaming so much easier on my bad back. Here's a shot of the riser, and a shot of the board when we played a small game of dueling Knights (which my brother won).

Anyway hope you guys enjoy and stay-tuned! Let me know what you guys think of the Corsair Spider!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #449 on: August 27, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
Warp spyder ... warp spyder ... hum i'm sorry but i don't by it :/ well that's  probably because i like the whole jump in the warp fluf things tthati don't really buy the wings and that's not how i would see them, but well that's something non the less. If i was not verry attached to warp spyder my self and the model they have, i would have probably liked it because the kit bash and gun look pretty coll. If it where me thought, i think i would have used forgeword back pack from the guy that have a kind of firprism gun as a weapon. I think that's how i would have interpreted those spyder.

Happy to know you like to talk eldar with me btw i enjoy it too :D i like the crimson death things you have in mind because i think that's ou cheesiest things in tte codex. I mean yes the big d is kinda cheesy but nothing beats 12 hight streng low ap shot with a 4 + cover in addition to the fact that they are already hard to hit because they fly ^^.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #450 on: August 28, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »
I'd like a side to side comparison between the warp spiders and the hawks. Do you use any hawks?

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #451 on: August 28, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »
Nice, thanks for the batrep man!

2 Flyrants at 1250 is 0% casual friendly list-building, hah. In terms of answers, you are about right about including dark reapers. Although in your game did your nightwing get to make any of the flyrants jink? So long as you keep them jinking it should be OK. Lastly, i would not recommend flying the nightwing off the table -- even if he is jinking every turn, you are absorbing all those devourer shots, which is a good thing.

I would selfishly suggest you do crimson death though, so that I can see your gorgeously painted formation. But from experience it is too much of a points sink, especially with no way to ignore the Flyrants' jinking.

Surprising your DA couldnt get up away from the Mawlocs, with a move and then also a re-rollable run move -- don't you only need to get a 3"?

Liking that spider scheme, i think it will look great -- the slightly stylized deathspinner is very cool. I hear what others are saying though, that it looks too much like a straight-up hawk -- could you put 2 pairs of wings on the spiders instead?

Cheers
Ibushi
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #452 on: August 29, 2015, 02:19:35 PM »
@Everyone- Bummed no one's onboard with my new kitbash- but hey to each their own! I really like the way its come out and it fits my vision for my ultimate goal with the army, that being when you look at it, for the most part it looks like a FW Corsair army with a few DE headswaps, but upon closer inspection you see some unique kitbashes throughout the force.

@Grizz- Sorry you're not digging it. I appreciate the thought with the Shadow Spectres but the only thing is, if I were to actually include a unit of Shadow Spectres (which I do own) I'd have two identical looking units with two different sets of rules. As for the Crimson Death, yes it is a bit cheesy. Its that bad-matchup unit that if you aren't ready for it, its gonna hurt… and thats exactly what I want! lol

@Vonny- Hey Vonny here's the photo you requested. To my eye, and my brother (my biggest critic) they look pretty distinct from each other. But regardless of your opinion I always value your input!

@Ibushi- No prob, glad you enjoyed the bat-rep. Yeah I think everyone was sort of on different wave-lengths as far as list building. I did wish I had the Dark Reapers, and I even have the Eldar equivalent Icarus Lascannon, and Aegis (though not painted). Good point about the Nightwing, but I was on only 1 hull point, and even if I had to sacrifice a unit I was hoping he'd be able to come in and perhaps take down one of the Tyrants (unlikely I know).  You might be right though, the Nightwing may have been the unit to sacrifice and just play for a turn 5 objective grab and hope the game ends.

As for the Avengers they were about 3 inches away from the terrain and then had to run to get up to the second level so it was a bit of a haul.

Cool, glad you like the idea of the Crimson Death. Its something I've wanted for awhile… and I've got unique markings for them that'll really unite them as a formation.

As for the Spiders, the quad-wings was something I thought of, but their is no way to attach them without clipping off the exhaust vents and sculpting new ports for the extra wings and its just not something I quite have the skill to do as its very cramped back there.

@Everyone- Anyway hopefully you guys like them more after seeing the new photos, but if you don't thats ok too. Anyway staytuned cause there is a lot more in the way. I've got bits and models 10+ years old steeping in Simple Green awaiting re-purposing. Tons of metal Aspect Warriors... whose use has yet to be determined. Anyway stay tuned and thanks for your input!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #453 on: August 29, 2015, 05:23:51 PM »
Ok so well my input now hum kinda hard to figure what i want to say. Well the pose and the few bit change make them look different on that i agree. To me they stil lake something for me to feel them being really different. If i were you i would try playing with white on there uniform and red for the wing, make the wing more caracteriscly different compare to the hawks would probably allow me to agree with you on the kit bash. I think with eldar you need to be able to easily identificate what unit is what compared to an other, that's why i don't view this spyder to be far enought from the hawk, i had the same feeling with your harlequins remember ><. Sorry about the personnal feeling in this but well i think you are open minded to concider what i am saying. And if you actually stick to what you have, well i have no right to ccomplan, it's your army after all ><

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #454 on: August 30, 2015, 04:25:56 AM »
I think they look superb, and indeed very different from eachother. Top notch, in my book!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #455 on: September 1, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
@Grizzlykin- Hey man to each their own. I don't begrudge your opinion at all, its all aesthetics after all.

@Vonny- Thanks Vonny! I'm really glad you like em, so thanks for the high praise. BTW I feel like this update is definitely inspired by your recent posts. So thanks for that too!

@Everyone- So inspired by Vonny's last post that included some Tyranids I decided to re-visit my "NPC" army which I've been dying to add to. My "Blood & Bones" Chaos Space Marine force... not going to be a regular on this project but its something I want to continue to work on. I really want an alternative force especially at home which my brother and I can share to vary our games. Simply smashing my Eldar against his IG time and time again especially considering we know each others collection so well, can get a bit tiring. So its my hopes that this force (and my Dark Angels which takes precedence over the Chaos force) will soon be of playable size.

EARLY WIP

Also inspired by Vonny (and my re-commitment to cleaning up and finishing old Eldar odds-and-ends) is my Wraithknight's close-combat options. After talking shop with Ibushi for awhile I've really wanted to try out ghost-glaive option on the Wraithknight. I feel its a tremendous tool against the right armies. BTW I'm getting used to hand-painting the gold and its very liberating to be able to lay down the main colors so much more quickly with my priming and basecoating.

Anyway guys got a game coming up this weekend against my brother, and another game either against Chaos or Dark Angels the next week so stay-tuned for my hobby stuff and bat-reps. Talk to you soon!

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #456 on: September 1, 2015, 03:39:28 PM »
Awesome man, great stuff as always. Really looking forward to some updated photos of that Eldar campaign terrain & markers too :)

Your blood & bones army is a compelling scheme, I like the intermittent updates on that front, and I know what you mean about armies getting a bit stale after a while -- partly this is why i like tournament play so much, as even against the same factions it is almost always a different opponent. Plus you get 3-5+ games in one weekend! But that's largely a luxury of location.

As for the Warp Spiders, your side-by-side photo has convinced me, they certainly differentiate enough with the hawks, between the lower stature, running pose, and white helmet, not to mention weapons. As a whole squad they will look markedly different, and elite and badass to boot. My only suggestion would be to add a tiny stripe or marking to the white on their wings, to indicate their elite wing-warrior status, and to further differentiate a tiny bit from the hawks at a at-a-glance tabletop level. Even without that they are going to look great though, look forward to seeing a squad photo!

Good luck with the glaive knight! I take inspiration from DCannon4Life, so credit where credit is due. Tactically, one of the things I like about him is a) your opponent assumes you are obligated to ram this guy down their throat ASAP, due to his combat nature, but b) you should by no means feel obligated to do any such thing. I use him more via threat radius to dictate enemy positioning, taking inspiration from your scorpion and avatar usage. But on top of that, I love that you are also not concerned about keeping him in cover or behind troops for a 5+ like the wraithcannon knight, although obviously a ruin is nothing to avoid if you can help it. Last tournament I just threw him straight at a Tau gunline without a care, and he survived to tell the tale. Anyway, hope your glaive gets to see some action soon.

Cheers
Ibushi
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #457 on: September 2, 2015, 02:59:18 AM »
The posing and paint work on the Wraithknight looks more impressive every time I see it.  I really like the Chaos models too.  The bone theme makes gives them a very imposing appearance on the table.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #458 on: September 2, 2015, 06:01:37 AM »
Superbe work with thewraith knight :D  and this chaos force looks intresting esthetycally speaking ^^ 

Let me ask one things thought, what do you mean by playable force, i mean what size does this mean to you? for me 1000 - 1500 is already playable.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #459 on: September 3, 2015, 04:52:23 AM »
I'm glad I'm such an inspiration to you, cav. I can assure you, you're the same to me!