News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Best Cover for Harlequins?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Phantomime

• The BEasT wHat LIcKED Me
Best Cover for Harlequins?
« on: October 10, 2012, 01:39:51 AM »
new to 6th..

due to the VoT changes, was thinking, since you get cover from being behind your own troops, putting harles behind a screen of jebikes + fortune&doomseer + flamelock give a very very nice re-rolled regular and rune armour <- (actually I was thinking regular and cover saves) save and can turbo maybe that 1st turn out of the gate to give the bikes an invulnerable re-rolled. regardless, this gives the harlequins a 2+ cover save due to VoT and the screening bikes which should make them a very unattractive target.

price tag:

1 seer + stones + bike + fortune + doom

8+ bikes
1 warlock + destructor

8 harlequins
+kiss
+shadowseer
----
606pts.

alternately... there is going total foot, and not paying for the durability and mobility of the bikes... enter the guardians. taking a blob of say 15-20 guardians, fitting in a warlock + conceal, a fortuneseer, and a weapons platfom, this would again provide a screen and giving the harle's a 2+ cover. the idea here being that an enemy would have to either plaster the guardians with fire, which conceal + numbers should help with, or again pick on the harlequins with their crazy save. the weapons platform keeps the blob a threat at range, and if anyone wants to assault, the snap shots from 15 guardians would be hilarious. the guardian shile dmight get stomped, but the harlequin countercharge would likely be total.

price tag:

1 seer + fortune

15 guardians
1 warlock + conceal

10 harlequins
+kiss
+shadowseer
----
520pts

again alternately there is the use of actual cover, but that cant always be counted on..

How Would You Use Harlequins?

Please don't post that many stats, it's against the forum rules - Iris.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:34:51 PM by Phantomime »
"Say hello to Mr. Yellow.."

Offline Dev Null

• GW has copyrighted my ability to be wrong.
Re: Best Cover for Harlequins?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »
I like the idea of the bikes, but I haven't played much with bikes, so its hard for me to say how well it would work out.  If you get them too far ahead of the Harlies, you may make it too easy for the enemy to step sideways and shoot around the ends of your line, but as long as you're careful about that you should be able to deliver the Harlequin payload pretty quickly.

I'm not a big fan of the ablative Guardian shield.  I don't like taking something for the sole purpose of dying, and I don't really see those guys doing much else without a transport for delivery, which would make them useless as a shield.  Overwatch from 15 Guardians sounds awesome, but its probably only 9-10 by the time anything in 40k charges them, given even the most desultory shooting first.  That leaves you what?  3 hits?  At S4 with normal armour saves?  I'd charge that.  The bigger deterrent to charging them would be the counter charge from the Harlies, of course, and you might be able to cause some significant damage with that if your opponent takes the bait.

Personally I like Harlequins behind Wraithguard.  The WG shield is hard as heck to kill.  If you charge it, they eat things in Overwatch just because nearly every hit is a kill with WG... and then they're tough in HtH... and then you cop a Harlequin counter-charge to boot.  If you don't charge it then you sit there taking withering fire from the WG instead; never a lot of fun.  If you dive-bomb it with flyers, best stay at least 18" away from those WG - doesn't take too much luck for them to down or disable a flyer.  If you stand back at long range and hammer them with heavy weaponry, they die.  But they die slowly, while absorbing an awful lot of heavy weaponry that could be going somewhere else, and all I need is one decent piece of terrain to leap the Harlies forward to threaten the guns.  The WG as a troop choice can take and hold forward objectives, while the Harlies zip forward from there to disrupt enemy-held ones.

Its also a stupid-expensive core to my army, and its slow.  Many armies on many maps can just stay away from it altogether, though that is generally hard work and cedes a big chunk of map to me.  Its by no means without counters, but it is pretty awesome, and demands some sort of reaction from my opponent every time.

Offline Phantomime

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 11:26:34 PM »
Personally I like Harlequins behind Wraithguard.

RE: Bikes: Im thinking of trying this, but again its expensive for a total of 18 models. also, if you read turboboost, I do not believe there is a minimum distance required to move unlike previous books, everything in the jetbike entry uses the wording "moves up to x distance" 1 is an exceptable distance inbetween, therefore it should be no problem moving the bikes with the harles, harles move as normal, bikes move a matching distance (just because they CAN move farther doesnt mean they have to), and then turboboost (again remembering that all you need to do is declare your turboboosting and move atleast 1") after the harle's run.

RE: Guardians, its true, they are being used as shields, but their fortuned cover save is, I mean, atleast decent. more than likely they will take shooting, which will draw it from your other forces, if any survive delivering the harlequins they can either pepper the target, or break and take an objective. unfortunantly in 40k, someone's gonna get shot and die, just because you put everyone into a tank doesnt make them safe, same goes for bikes. the way i see it, im just making more Wraithguard  :o

RE: Wraithgaurd, again, I have to agree, this is ideal, except for the price tag. a full squad each of harles and guard alone is over 600pts, then you have to add warlocks, and a farseer, and it gets crazy. better in large point games, very hard to build around in lower ones.

Offline Dev Null

• GW has copyrighted my ability to be wrong.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »
RE: Wraithgaurd, again, I have to agree, this is ideal, except for the price tag. a full squad each of harles and guard alone is over 600pts, then you have to add warlocks, and a farseer, and it gets crazy. better in large point games, very hard to build around in lower ones.

Yep.  And on the odd chance we haven't hammered this point home enough: while it may be 600 points for a bare minimum unit, the version I generally run is upwards of 800.  Ran them again last night against nids.  They performed beautifully; Harlies got to HtH completely intact, and ate a bunch of pretty tricked-out bugs.  WG shot up a bunch of things and then held like rocks when they were charged.  Eldrad flung spells all over the place and generally kicked butt, only eventually dying to some huge CC Tyrant-thing after tarpitting it for ages.

But here's the point: I lost the game by 1 point, because I didn't have enough other units left on the board to take objectives with.  The Wraithguard variant is very very expensive, which tends to make the rest of your army fairly fragile.  I still like the combo, and I'll still use it, but it takes some skill doing the dance with the rest of your army, and I'm still working on that.

Offline Phantomime

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 04:07:31 AM »
I too have had a good time with wraithwalls, using enhance they managed to punch out a bike chaplin and a bike warboss in the same game.. :P

anyways Im just wondering if, aside from a wraithwall, there is another option to run them that isnt mech. The downside to most other eldar units is either they are expensive (like the harlequins), and/or just as easy (or easier) to kill.