News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gutstikk's Campaign Week 4: Iyanden VS Grey Knights  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
Gutstikk's Campaign Week 4: Iyanden VS Grey Knights
« on: June 29, 2008, 05:58:00 AM »
   My, the Silver Ghosts encounter Grey knights in that Rearguard Battle at 1850 pts.

Eldar played Defender so I had only half of my force on the board, Mission demanding that I had only one scoring unit left at the end to win the day.
   I split my army in half, putting all things mechanised/fast in one slot and the footslogging stuff on the other and rolled for the mechanised part to coming into play, the remaining of the force was not to be used at all.

The forces:

Eldar: 1850 Pts (The Yellow highlight is the half that showed for the fight)

HQ: 285 pts
- Yriel - 155 pts
- Farseer w/Spirit Stones, Fortune & Doom - 130 pts

ELITE: 550 pts
- Wraithguard X 5, Warlock w/ Destructor - 210 pts
 + Wave Serpent w/ Twin Shurican/underslug Shurican, Spirit Stone, V-Engines - 140 pts

- Harlequins X 7, Shadowseer, Death Jester, Kisses X 6 - 190 pts

TROOPS: 688 pts
- Dire Avengers X 10, Exarch w/ Dual Catapult & Bladestorm - 152 pts
 + Wave Serpent w/ Twin Shurican/underslug Shurican, Spirit Stone, V-Engines - 140 pts

- Wraithguard X 10, Spiritseer w/ Conceal - 396 pts

HEAVY: 135 pts
- Wraithlord w/EML & Scatterlaser

FAST: 192 pts
- Vyper w/Scatter Laser
- Warp Spiders X 6

Grey Knights: 1850 pts (approximative from memory: The Blue highlight were what came in First Turn, the Green highlight were first wave but kept in Deep Strike)

HQ: ? pts
- Brother Captain w/Termie Armor & Psychic Hood
- Retinue: Termies X 5 w/Psycannon

ELITE: 0 pts
- None

TROOPS: ? pts
- GK X 8 w/Psycannon X 2
- GK X 8 w/Psycannon X 2

HEAVY: 505 pts (?)
- Land Raider
- Land Raider Crusader

FAST: ? pts
- GK X 8 w/Psycannon X 2

I deployed my force using the Hidden Setup rule, deploying both Wraithguard and Avengers in their Serpent (Yriel is put with the Wraithguard) on the left behind the only fair sized LEV 3 area terrain, the Spiders straight center behind a wall and the Vyper on the right, behind a small LEV 3 building, then putting the remaining counters in hope to simulate a pincer deployment then putting some Tank Traps and Razorwire to cut the easy access lane to both sides.

The opponent came in First Turn from table edge, revealing the hidden setup.

- TURN 1 -

Grey Knights: Come in the Land Raider about straight center, disembarking a squad of GK, both shooting on a barely visible Avenger's Wave Serpent and destroying the Twin Shuricans.

Eldar: Both Serpents moved a bit to hide better from the LR, Dire Avengers remounted in their Serpent and the Spiders in the center jump to the left but are left a bit in the open after their second jump toward a LOS blocking piece of terrain.
   The Vyper is well hidden and stay put.

- TURN 2 -

Grey Knights: Come in the Deepstriking GK squad right on target near the Vyper, blasting the light skimmer to oblivion but effectively putting themselves out of the game so far out from the Eldar main force.
   The LR and GK both advance, my opponent taking great care NOT to bring the tank inside the mounted Wraithguard move/kill zone and shoot at the visible Spiders, killing two.

Eldar: Shuffle the Serpents a bit, keeping them in hiding behind the wood, the Spiders jump behind the wood to join the Serpents.

- TURN 3 -

Grey Knights: With absolutely no target available, the GK mount the LR who move 12'' and use it's Smoke Launchers. The 8 Deepstriking GK on the extreme right moves left.

Eldar: With the remaining GK force coming in TURN 4, I shuffled the Serpents to get the SMF, keeping out of sight of the Lascannon armed LR but well conscious that I was exposing one of the transport to possible incoming fire from the Grey Knights coming in next turn.
   So be it.

- TURN 4 -

Grey Knights: The Termies Deepstrike behind my force, scattering 7'' near the table edge, shooting the Spiders and killing three, making them flee.
   The Land Raider Crusader come in 12'' and disembark it's squad, both shooting at the Avenger's Serpent, scoring three glances and destroying it, killing 5 of the Aspect Warriors in the crash (damn psycannons). The LR also advanced and disembarked it's cargo, both shooting at two visible surviving Avengers after the Serpent's crash, killing both.
   The 8 GK on the right moves left.

Eldar: The lone Spider fall back near the table edge and the newly arrived GK who so mauled his squad. Yriel dismounted the Wraithguard's Serpent and moved toward the Terminators, the skimmer then moved a bit to get the SMF (and shoot at the LRC squad, killing two Marines) and disembarked the WG to get a volley against the Termies.
   The Avengers disentangle themselves from the wreck.

All my remaining force shoot at the Terminators, Wraithguard felling ONE, the Warlock nailed one with his pistol, Yriel another with his spear. Crap. Yriel charged in, killing ONE. Crap. He was then splattered by a STR 6 hit. CRAP. The Termies consolidated toward the Wraithguard.

- TURN 5 -

Grey Knights: Both LRs moved forward with their squads mounting in, the LRC scoring a glance at the Wave Serpent and destroying it. ::)
   The last elite GK Terminator led by the Brother Captain advanced and shot at the Wraithguard, destroying one and then charged in CC, flattening another two for the cost of the last Termie, leaving the Captain all alone.
   The 8 GK on the left moved left.

Eldar: The last Warp Spider moved off table. The two remaining Dire Avengers led by their Exarch charged in, trying futilely to relieve the Wraithguard who got destroyed by the Brother Captain. Both the Spiritseer and Avengers held.

- TURN 6 -

Grey Knights: The LRC came forward into a Booby Trap who failed to destroy it and disembarked it's squad of Grey Knights who charged the Spiritseer and quickly dispatched it while the Brother Captain disposed of two of the Aspect Warriors, the Avenger Exarch being run down by the GK squad.

Eldar: [sigh]

Hope you enjoyed it, I didn't nor my opponent. :-\ While  we both beforehand agreed that I played for a victory and not for fun, hiding one's half army in hope that at least one unit would survive the game wasn't that thrilling.
   With hindsight, I would have moved the Wraithguard's Serpent with it's cargo 24'' to the right to get far from the Termies in hope for them to survive the game but who could have guessed that the Terminators would succeed 3/4 of their INV saves, hey?

So, with the game having been VERY short, we played another with our full forces (with some modifications from mine) using what we knew of the 5th ed rules.

There we both had fun, playing for kill points and this time it was MY turn to get some lucky rolls.

Starky :)

P.S.: Now moc and Sanctjud can gloat.

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Gutstikk's Campaign Week 4: Iyanden VS Grey Knights
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 08:08:35 AM »
Gloat, Hell I want to jump up and down all over your Grave... LOL

Not to mention that I happened to win vs the Eldar in Sector III so the insult is double to you.  It was a bad week for Eldar as even the "Master of Unconventional Eldar Tactics - Gutstikk" lost his game to Kiefatar in Sector I...

More importantly though.... Nice rundown... and I like you said, your force could have been used a lot differently.

PS... I played my "Rearguard" game twice (I won both) as we screwed up the first one (got the mission critieria all screwed up with straight Bunker assault) and if its any consolation to you.. I will never be playing another RearGuard as it sucked for both of us,,,, As you mentioned, the Defender could just play Cat and Mouse and stave off Defeat with realitive ease (wow that would be fun -- Not--)... Anyway, congrats on getting the game, and my opponent did as you did, played for some "Fun" and it cost him the game as well.

Cheers (moc065)
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:55:25 AM »
   My, my, gloat and jump as you want, Mr.Perfect (:P), as I had that nagging thought at work this night, so I shuffled through my DH Codex this morning  and guess what?

I'll be damned if I haven't been cheated of the victory: Psycannons are half range when the GK wielders are on the move (which they have been all the time to get a bead on my units, so with that in mind, and the fact that I lost about half of My force to out of range Psycannon fire:

-The Avenger's Serpent was faaar out of range to get hit at all.
-No Avengers would have died on the crash.
-No Avengers would have died to Psycannon fire after the crash.
-The first three Spiders I lost were laid down by faaar outranged Psycannon fire.

End result: I'd have a full Bladestorming Avenger squad, their Serpent (which I could have used to block the charging lane of that Termie squad, if said sqaud had survived) and 4 NON Falling back Spiders (instead of one falling back) more to get these bastard Terminators.

36'' walking Psycannon? beslubber Me, yeah. I think I'll have a little chat with the guy, one involving a gag, rope, a freakin' axe and a shovel.

Yeah.  :( :-\

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Dr. Ravingburger

• Ork Boy | No stranger to love.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »
Well, at least you played a decent game. Better luck next time!

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:58:19 PM »
Wait.....what?

You....MR.EldarTact icaIyandenRocks lost to the underpowered DH.....wow... the dice gods just hated you or something...

___________________ _______________

Naaaa...

The scenario sucks ballz IMO.... nothing here should be that suprising.....

Can't wait for more 'decent' games...note: Pics would be cool....you know a camera might give you a winning streak as well....<---- tip from experience  ;D

PS, I LOVE THE COLOR CODED TEXT HERE.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 02:30:52 PM »
Are you telling me that the GK player didn't know his Psy-cannons were 18" on the move ?....

You got hosed... PS... I hosed a guy recently (by mistake) As I am still pretty new to Necrons, I used my Wraiths (yes I have 3 hat I am playtesting)... with T=6, Str=4.... It didn't change much as they only got 1 attack anyway; but the enemy should have taken a few more wounds..... and I probably should have taken 1 in return...  Stuff happens so you should ask him if he knew about the shorter range when Moving/Deepstriking, etc.

Cheers... 
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #6 on: July 3, 2008, 07:32:25 AM »
Unfortunately Rearguard does indeed require you to play cat and mouse; you are attempting in a rearguard mission to delay the oncoming attackers for as long as possible so the force behind your lines can escape them. Doing anything else will generally result in a preordained loss for the defender [generally]. Faster armies are a bit better at picking at the enemy as they hold their ground, and Necrons might be able to make a stand, but these later missions do require a different approach to the normal game.

BTW, fleeing as swiftly as possible is indeed the best approach to take in an Ambush mission, learned that the hard way!

Sorry Moc and you disliked this mission so much; fortunately [for both of you] it isn't in 5th ed. Still, at least you got to try it out, eh?