News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [BatRep] Eldar v. Sisters at 1000 points  (Read 2137 times)

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
[BatRep] Eldar v. Sisters at 1000 points
« on: May 14, 2008, 09:22:11 AM »
The Two Armies:  This was a pick-up game for my opponent to test out his 1000 point Sisters army for a local tourney.  Throwing 1000 points of Eldar together, we faced off.  Here is my list and an approximation of the Sister’s army.

- Cannonness w/ jump pack and close combat goodness
- Sisters Squad w/ melta and heavy flamer mounted in Rhino w/ smoke and extra armour
- Sisters Squad – as above
- Sisters Squad – as above
- Seraphim x5
- Sisters Tank (one with the organs)

- Farseer w/ Guide, Fortune
- Dire Avengers x 10, Exarch w/ shimmershield and power weapon, Bladestorm mounted in Wave Serpent w/ two shuricans, spirit stones, vectored engines
- Guardian Defenders x 15 w/ EML, Spiritseer w/ Conceal
- Vyper w/ two shuricans, spirit stones
- Warp Spiders x 5, Exarch w/ death spinner, power blades, Withdraw
- Wraithlord w/ twin flamers, brightlance, wraithsword

Terrain Set-up: We used mostly building ruins and two level-one hills. A 12 by 12 inch Chapel ruin went in the middle and little more than half to the southern half of the board, with two 10 by 10 inch ruins in the north-west quadrant, one in the north-east quadrant.  A 14 by 6 inch Manufactorium went into the south-west quadrant, the two hills in the south-east quadrant.

Mission and Deployment: We rolled Seek and Destroy, I think (VPs and most Scoring Units at the end of the game), with a 15 inch deployment zone.  He chose the North end, meaning I get the sparsely terrained South.  I deployed my Wraithlord just short of the Chapel, my Avengers and Vyper hidden behind the Manufactorium, Farseer and Defenders behind the Chapel and largely out of sight, the Warp Spiders hidden behind a hill.  The Seraphim and three Sister squads in Rhinos were hidden behind the buildings of the north-west quadrant.  The Cannonness and Heavy tank went behind the building of the north-east quadrant.  I win the roll to go first and seeing I don’t have anything to shoot at, I give him first turn.

Turn 1

Sisters:  The Rhinos move en-masse for 12 inches from behind cover, the lead two popping smoke (I smell Rhino-rush), while the Seraphim move the other way around the buildings and along the short table edge.  The Cannonness jumps to the north-edge of the Chapel, while the Heavy tank moves 12 inches to get line-of-sight and pops smoke too.

Eldar:  With no place to go other than open ground, the Warp Spiders stay put.  Seeing the opportunity, the Vyper and Wave Serpent hop the Manufactorium, unloading the Avengers – my opponent suddenly looks like he forgot about those units were there.  The Avengers Bladestorm the Seraphim into oblivion, while the Vyper takes out one of the lead Rhinos, the Wave Serpent the one in behind who didn’t pop smoke; each squad loses three members to the crash and are pinned.  The Farseer Fortunes the Guardians and Guides the Wraithlord, who moves to snap the Sisters’ Heavy tank, rolling a 6 to destroy the vehicle (phew).  The Defenders EML snaps the third Rhino and only destroys the storm bolter.  Well we both agreed that I could not have had a better round of shooting. 

Turn 2

Sisters:  With only a few units to choose from, the Cannonness hopped the Chapel, while the lone Rhino rumbled forward and unloaded a squad.  They unloaded into the Guardians and took out eight of them, even with the 5+ re-roll; they barely passed their Leadership.  The Cannonness charged the Wraithlord and rolled a flurry of attacks that thankfully only inflicted one wound, using Faith points to make her 2+ save Invulnerable, saving all wounds (surpise).

Eldar:  The Avengers hopped back into the Serpent and over the Manufactorium along with the Vyper.  The Warp Spiders zipped up next to the Defenders.  Along with the Defenders and both vehicles, they shot the Sisters in my half of the board to oblivion in a hail of shuriken fire.  The Farseer stayed near the Defenders.  The CC failed to do anything.

Turn 3

Sisters:  Both Sister squads in his half trudge forward, while the lone Rhino Tank Shocks my Defenders who easily move to the side.  CC accomplished nothing, again.

Eldar:  The Defenders move to engage the closest Sisters squad, along with the Vyper and Wave Serpent, the Avengers once again in the Manufactorium ruins.  They engage and eradicate the Sisters squad.  The Spiders move to support the Wraithlord, while the Farseer detaches and charges the Rhino’s rear hatch, hitting and destroying it.  The Warp Spiders charge into combat and suddenly this tart has a Strength 7 power weapon hitting at Initiative 6.  Well, the Exarch whiffed his attacks and along with two more Warp Spiders are cut to shreds, while she saves on her 2+ Invulnerable.  I suddenly realize the mission objective and how many VPs I just threw away.

Turn 4

Sisters:  The lone Sisters squad moved up, heavy flamer getting around the armour of the Wave Serpent and killing 6 Avengers.  The remainder are swamped in CC and only the Exarch survives, running; the Sisters consolidate into the ruins.  The Cannonness removes the last of the Warp Spiders and fails to injure the Wraithlord, but saves her wounds.

Eldar:  The name of the game now is VP denial.  The Vyper and Wave Serpent move away from the Manufactorium, their shuriken cannons failing to wound (all of a sudden he is making all his 3+ saves).  The Defenders move back out of range and the EML fails to hit.  The Wraithlord and Cannonness wail away at each other for naught.

Turn 5

Sisters:  The Sisters rapid-fire into the Defenders, who apparently didn’t quite make it out of range…. Thankfully poor shooting and good re-rolls save the Defenders.  The Cannonness finally fails her Faith roll for an Invulnerable save and ultimately whiffs on her attacks.  Two Wraithlord attacks, I roll snake-eyes – thank god for the wraithsword – and finally get one attack to hit, rolling 6 to wound.  Finally that pesky tart bites it!

Eldar:  Everything moves south of the Chapel and engages the lone Sisters squad remaining.  Everything shoots, and he saves against all the shuriken fire.  The brightlance and EML take down two of them.

Turn 6 – Nightfight in effect

Sisters:  They move out of terrain and sight the Defenders, failing to wound.

Eldar:  Everything moves in and fires.  Sisters go the way of the Seraphim.

Conclusion:  This was a lot rougher than the report may have dictated.  My mobility allowed me to dictate the battle around the Manufactorium, except for the flub that got the Avengers wiped out.  The loss of the Warp Spiders was unexpected and a huge hit in 1000 points VP-based game.  Were I do play it again, I would have simply swept everything to the south-east and kept the Sisters at 24 inches and engaged with shuriken cannon, EML and brightlance.  This was my plan whether the Rhinos had been destroyed or not; my Turn 1 success got the better of me in Turns 2 and 3, with the expected tragic results once hubris takes hold.  Turn 4 onward I went back to the plan and ultimately dictated a lot of the game.  It was a well-fought game, my opponent never giving up even after losing the Rhino and Heavy tank. Kudos to him.

;francois
;f.desrochers

Offline Jaron95

Re: [BatRep] Eldar v. Sisters at 1000 points
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 01:06:06 PM »
Nice report!

I would have been so bummed about losing my Seraphim and tank (Exorcist, I presume?) in turn 1 that it would have been tough for me to focus on rallying the rest of my Sisters. :D  Big kudos to your opponent for that, and congrats to you on the win!
Quote from: Hymirl
Although as a personal note thats an example of the RAW that I would be inclinded not to enforce...

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:23:24 PM »
Nice Battle Report.  Thanks.  I do have a quesition, though:

"The lone Sisters squad moved up, heavy flamer getting around the armour of the Wave Serpent and killing 6 Avengers."

How did the Sisters Squad move, then fire a Heavy Weapon?  Do they have a special rule, or did you write it incorrectly?

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline mHz

• Don't believe me!
  • Armies: CSM, Renegade IG, Tyranids, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 02:14:13 PM »
Nice Battle Report.  Thanks.  I do have a quesition, though:

"The lone Sisters squad moved up, heavy flamer getting around the armour of the Wave Serpent and killing 6 Avengers."

How did the Sisters Squad move, then fire a Heavy Weapon?  Do they have a special rule, or did you write it incorrectly?

NewHeretic

The Heavy Flamer is an assault weapon, not a heavy weapon.

The Warp Spiders charge into combat and suddenly this tart has a Strength 7 power weapon hitting at Initiative 6

I will have to check my codex after I get home from work because I cannot remember anything that would allow the Canoness to have a Str 7 power weapon at I6.  If she was using a Blessed Weapon, that would be S5, and there is an act of faith that gives +2 str, but I think it makes you go at I1.

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »
If she was using a Blessed Weapon, that would be S5, and there is an act of faith that gives +2 str, but I think it makes you go at I1.

I think you're right.  On reflection, that may be what happened, or I may have mixed some of the Blessings used - god knows I asked enough questions about them throughout the game.  "It does what? You need to roll what?"

;francois
;f.desrochers

Offline Jaron95

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 02:30:47 PM »
Yeah, that's right.

"Hand" is +2 strength, strikes at initiative 1.
"Passion" is +2 initiative, cannot be combined with "Hand".

Witch Hunter reference sheet has the stats for Acts of Faith.
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/gaming/reference_sheets/assets/witchhunter_refsheet.pdf
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 02:36:21 PM by Jaron95 »
Quote from: Hymirl
Although as a personal note thats an example of the RAW that I would be inclinded not to enforce...

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:17:05 PM »
The Heavy Flamer is an assault weapon, not a heavy weapon.

Wow!  I just verified this and it's true!   ;D  My Space Marines don't get Heavy Flamers anywhere except on Terminators and Dreadnoughts where it doesn't matter if the weapon is Heavy or Assault, so if I ever noticed that fact, it didn't stick with me as important.   ::)  Well, thanks for clearing that up for me.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 12:24:50 AM »
   Good batrep ;françois, and congrats on the win!

I'll admit too that you had an awesome shooting phase on that first turn, after reading that line I thought the battle done but then some die roll later these SoB got some good rolling too.
   Cannonesses (The 'Tart': Now SoB players will be happy) seems to be a real pain in the arse, Acts of Faith and all: I'd hate to see one engaging as squad of Wraithguard.

Quote from: ;françois
...with the expected tragic results once hubris takes hold.
   Lol, I like that, so very Eldarish. ;D

Starky
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:30:05 AM by Starrakatt, the Amok Nemesis »

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Draza

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 10:22:24 PM »
If she was using a Blessed Weapon, that would be S5, and there is an act of faith that gives +2 str, but I think it makes you go at I1.
Chances are she used "the passion" along with her blessed weapon. She can't add the +2 strength, since that would cancel the passion bonus.
It worked in your favour though if he did screw up. Strength 5 wounds you on a 2+ anyway, he just wasted an act of faith.

Keep an eye of faith point use as well. Hard to tell from the report, but make sure he keeps count. Having a Canoness in assault on turn 2 would burn through the faith like crazy.

You played the mission well, while your opponent made a few mistakes. Not protecting the Seraphim properly was one mistake. The other was the Exorcist. Since it can move 6" and shoot, he could've stayed out of sight and then moved to shoot next turn. Moving 12" and casting smoke put his Exorcist in danger. Even a shaken result would've meant no shooting in the next turn.

Cannonesses (The 'Tart': Now SoB players will be happy) seems to be a real pain in the arse, Acts of Faith and all: I'd hate to see one engaging as squad of Wraithguard.
I'll let that slide, since I seem to hear Canoness called every word under the sun and cause enough expletives to turn the air red. I guess she's doing her job :D

Offline Scyrex Deledras

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 11:14:12 PM »
Wow, that was brutal. Him losing/immobilizing half of his force on turn 1 didn't do him any favours. As you said, kudos to him for battling on for the rest of the game. That said, this battle just proves once again that heavy flamers, not Exorcists, are the Sisters' greatest asset against Eldar.

On a side note...I am so calling my Canoness "the Tart" in the future. ;D ;D