News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Wraithlord (pics)  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
New Wraithlord (pics)
« on: October 17, 2006, 04:23:01 PM »
In Scandinavia we got the Army box last Saturday, so naturally I started on the Wraithlord. I can't decide upon one weapon configuration so I hade to be able to swap them. The shoulder mount and the right hand I converted so that I can swich weapons. I plan to do the same thing to future HW Platforms and War Walkers, as they have the same mounting system for the weapons.

I also fixed one knee and the neck so that the pose is more natural.

The pictures were taken before I glued on the armourplates on the hips and the loincloth. I won't be using the ribbons because I think they will bend or fall off during transportation.

Adults lie, but not always.

Offline WAR-4.Pyro

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: New Wraithlord (pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 12:32:00 AM »
I dont know much about eldar, but damn that thing is freakin awesome. Great job ;D ;D ;D
98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Offline Balthraka

• Dracite
  • This is a lie
    • Betting on Monopoly
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 01:44:27 AM »
Great Model and Really Great Switchability.

LOW (AB)
COME SEE THE BIG LIST OF CHAOS ARMY LISTS FOR SOME TRIED AND TESTED LISTS USED BY FORUM MEMBERS

Offline Cansem

• Thou shalt not pass!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 04:51:48 AM »
I can't WAIT to get my hands on one of these babies.

This and Autarchs are the only miniatures I will be buying, and this is just an amazing model IMO.

I especially like your job with the copper rods. I might just have to steal that idea :P

-Cansem

Offline Quetzalcoatl

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 05:40:26 AM »
The copper rods are just plain paperclips.  ;D

I haven't glued on the arms yet to make painting easier, so for the pics I used Bluetac and they're sagging a bit. The weapon arm is supposed to be completely horisontal, so it will look like he is aiming the lance at someone.

Offline Toad_Raider

• Warrior | Honk If You Like Zombies | Bow Ties Are Never Cool
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Zombies are people too!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 06:56:13 AM »
Paperclips for the win!  Thats what I do!

Sweeeeet job.  How long are the "pins"?  As long as possible, or just whats needed to hold bits in place?
...a spiffified whizz-bang unit of Much Destruction that'll get whored like crazy in WD and kill a million Monoliths in the release batrep
Lomendil's pick for the new DE dex. Not quite, but we have a 'dex now!

Well played, TW.  By well played, I of course mean god damn your traitorous ways.

Do love Diplomacy!

Offline Quetzalcoatl

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 07:53:15 AM »
The pins are as long as possible. On the arms that means about 5 mm, but I think I could have made them even longer. It's the shoulder mount that is difficult. The bit that the weapon is slotted into is very small and fastened to the Wraithlord by a ball and socket joint. This joint I had to reinforce with greenstuff in order to support the hole the pin goes into.

A few issues ago WD showed how to make the HW Platform with exchangeable weapons using 2 pins on every weapon. But there is no room for 2 pins on the Wraithlord, so I had to settle for 1. Not as sturdy as 2, but it works.

I cut away the right shoulder mount so I would not end up with an empty mount on some weapon configurations. You can not have 2 HW if you have a sword etc. And decided instead to settle for a Brightlance as the alternative for a sword. The lance looks best as a hand-held weapon, and the Wraithlord is the best wielder of the lance, so what the heck.

I decided not to make the Cats and Flamers on the arms exchangable as that would interfere with the long pin on the right arm. I figure I will only need Flamers anyway.

Check out my Flickr page for a few more pics and other stuff:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quetzalcoatl1/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 08:00:18 AM »
Woh, that is very nice. The pinning and pose is cool. Though of the gun hand is sagging a bit he still looks like he is aiming at someone as he is pretty damn big :P. All in all it looks great.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline NiftyVT

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 09:41:55 AM »
I think I am going to do this with magnets!  It looks great and keeps the wep options open.

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 12:05:09 PM »
Great job Q.  :)

That is a fantastic job....more or less what i had in mind, except i was going to see if it was possible to use neo-dymium magnets.
Really like the pose though mate...the ML looks really awesome on the shoulder... ;D

-Reborn. :)

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 12:09:58 PM »
That does look pretty damn awesome, nice posing and a real good use of all options.
As Nifty said; I'll be attempting the same with magnets I think!

Offline Guardian of the Rose

• Like my new headshot???
    • Me, acting.
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 02:23:53 PM »
I posted this in the other thread, but I'll put it in the right place here:

REALLY amazing job, not just on the WL, but on the Maugen/Exarch and the paint job on your falcon is just...well it leaves me speachless.

I haven't done much modeling, and know that the Wraithlord will be a challenge to keep him interchangeable AND structurally sound.  So I might have to come back here and ask for some advice.

I built the store model, but there was NO WAY the black shirt would let me use magnets, so he's fixed.  That was enough challenge in and of itself (at least to make him more dynamic than that overly static pose in the publicity pics.)  I've got to order some of the right size magnets...

How do you keep his sword hand in place without magnets?

Keep up the good work.  (So I can steal your ideas!)
There = a location
They're = short for 'They are'
Their = possessive for third person plural ('it belongs to them')

This message has been brought to you by the Obnoxious Grammar Police.

Offline Twistedstorytella (the 3rd)

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 07:05:11 PM »
Good work - usually when i use metal pins everything comes out messy and the joints are all shaved down and stuff >____< lol the birghtlance gun/rifle thing looks uber awesome, iim definetly going to be using pins on my new wraithlord (when i get the money...£25!! £10 more expensive with the price hikes =( ) Did the wraithlord come with any other weapon options (not that i would really want to equip it with anyhing else other than brightlance or EML but im jsut wondering ^^)
Mr. Freeze: "A jazz dancer comin to a bboy audition, you know, just cuz he could do those continuous backspins, which the commercial public knows as windmills, doesn't mean that he's a bboy, he's just an idiot that learned how to spin on his back."

Offline Quetzalcoatl

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 06:03:32 AM »
The Wraithlord comes with all the weapon options you could possibly want, and then some! There is two shouldermounts (I cut away the right one) so there is really no need for the hand-held mount, but GW included it anyway.

(Edit: There is only one of each HW of course, so if you want duplicate weapons you have to steal from a platform or a War Walker)

As for the pins, it may become a problem with the weapon-hand swinging around its pin. To be absolutely fixed there shoul be 2 parallell pins there, but there just wasn't any room. What I have done so far is make the pin as long as possible and bend the tip of the pin a little bit so that it presses against the walls of the hole. I'm hoping this will be sufficient, otherwise I can always replace the pin with an even longer, and make the hole deeper. I think there is still some room. If nothing else works I just have to make a choice in weapons and glue the thing on.

I don't know exactly how small those magnets are that you guys are talking about, but they would have to be incredibly tiny to fit because there is not much room on those mounts. On the shouldermount I even had to add greenstuff just to make the hole for the pin!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 06:05:23 AM by Quetzalcoatl »

Offline Lord Ulthanash

• Armies: Eldar: Corsairs and Ulthwe
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 06:19:47 PM »
that thing is beautiful (no not your wraithlord, the one I'm going to get). But your's is great and I love the switchability of it. I'll be stealing that idea.

He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.