News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: By popular demand... my Iyanden (pic heavy)  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Hybrid 9

• I wanna watch the scary monkey show
By popular demand... my Iyanden (pic heavy)
« on: May 7, 2006, 01:34:47 PM »
Ok, so my brother posted some pics of his new carnifex and in the background were my eldar.
You guys apparently noticed them and asked pics. Well, here they are... finally

And some of my harlequins

ps: look at his puma shoes :D

« Last Edit: May 7, 2006, 01:59:38 PM by Hybrid 9 »
Improving the universe since 1983

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
Re: By popular demand... my Iyanden (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2006, 01:46:25 PM »
Looks great! I don't know if it's just me, but what with Iyanden being the craftworld on the verge of dying out, isn't yellow a little...cheerful? I know that's what they should be, fluffwise, but still....

The black bits in between the yellow look like they could be neatend up, and they need basing, but they look really striking. Man, I'm glad I don't have to work with yellow.

Like the white guardians. Shame there's no pic of the avatar above the knees...

Offline The Ego-Man

• BANNED: And good bloody riddance. --- Hypocrite: Preaches what he doesn't practice
  • Recovering Spamaholic
  • I got banned becuase I was useless.
    • The Eldar Templates Crusade
« Reply #2 on: May 7, 2006, 01:53:53 PM »
The painting is really flat there... i love the WW, the conversion is awesome, may i steal the idea? ;)
I fought the law, and the law won!

Offline Hybrid 9

« Reply #3 on: May 7, 2006, 01:56:02 PM »
hehe thanks.

Funny thing is, I chose the color scheme before I knew Iyanden... And the reason I play Eldar is becuase I like the wraithlord/guard models.

and the "avatar" is actually an action figure from neon genesis evangelion (btw it is EVA 02)

Steal away my man... and the flatness is due the the sheer impossibility for shading yellow

Offline Vlex

• Ach! Ze Germans are coming!
« Reply #4 on: May 8, 2006, 04:57:33 AM »
IIRC, the yellow of Iyanden is attributed to the Shrine of Asuryan, which lies on Iyanden. It's a sort of beacon in the darkness, figuratively speaking. So the yellow is quite appropriate.

Good for larks and lashings of the old ultra-violence!

Offline Squig...

• Krieg ist mein Meister, Tod ist meine Herrin
« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2006, 05:44:26 AM »
IIRC, the yellow of Iyanden is attributed to the Shrine of Asuryan, which lies on Iyanden. It's a sort of beacon in the darkness, figuratively speaking. So the yellow is quite appropriate.
Not that I doubt it (makes perfectly sense, with the sword of Asur being the symbol of Iyanden and Iyanden having been the biggest craftworld before Kraken), but do you have any source?
Veni Vidi Vici

Offline lunargamer

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2006, 05:56:19 AM »
I love the Guardians.  They're very nice.  They look very clean and sharp.  I'm planning a cape for a Farseer, too, so I like your seer's.  Having the flames on flames on your Lord is a cool idea.  Never would have thought of that.  In general, I don't really care for your color scheme, though.  There's something about that yellow...  That's just personal preference.  However, it is all painted pretty well.  Not bad at all.

lunar
I still like the classic:
"I took the road less traveled by
And that has made all the difference."

Offline Hybrid 9

« Reply #7 on: May 8, 2006, 08:26:19 AM »
ok, thx for the comments.

It seems yellow is indeed a controversial color. Maybe 'cause yellow in the english language also means coward... which is not a trait we need in galactic warfare.

small note, the Asur sword is the emblem for the Alaitoc world if I'm not mistaken. Iyanden has some weird asianlike sign with a flame in it. I think that represents the shrine of Asuryan though.

And last, I still dont get why people like the guardians. In real life the are actualy quite crappy since they were my first models. I do kinda love my Rambo (guardian on the middle)  ;D

Offline Xodiac

• Infinity Circuit
  • For there is nothing new under the sun
« Reply #8 on: May 8, 2006, 08:42:12 AM »
and the flatness is due the the sheer impossibility for shading yellow
You've got a fairly orange yellow there already. Use sunburst (I think it is) yellow, and for darker shades use blends with snakebite leather (brown). Those work well for me, though I don't have to paint a whole army yellow, just odds and ends. As for the yellow it's a good colour, and it's right for Iyanden too.

I'll probably end up starting a fluff war here in a painting thread, but I think the shrine was destroyed by Ahra (fallen phoenix), but it was on Iyanden.

So back to painting to keep on track...

MY favourite's your Farseer on bike. Nice clean lines suit it well and it's a good job with the cape. What did you use?
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.                      -Ecclesiastes 1:9

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #9 on: May 8, 2006, 11:01:17 AM »
Whatever you did to that warwalker is really cool.
It looks like you used wave serpent bits on it.

As for the paint on the pilot- i would have taken it easy on the rainbow a bit.
It looks a bit like a harlequin must be the pilot. If you had used the same paint job you
did on your infantry guardians, he'd look much cooler, imo.

Offline Hybrid 9

« Reply #10 on: May 8, 2006, 11:57:09 AM »
Xodiac, thanks for the advice on shading... The yellow I use is in fact sunburst (on the WW I switched to the vallejo equivalent which is btw SOOOO much better). You are the very first one who has given me some sound advice on the subject.

Farseer's cape was made out of greenstuf which was -afterdrying- filled for a perfect fit. after painting it was put in place with the help of superglue (gotta love that stuff)

Srintuar:
Iindeed I just the "shields" from the wave serpent, which I glued to the lasers. Then drilled through the body. glued 1 gun/shield on one end of a piece of paperclip, after drying apply glue on the middle part of the wire and put it in place. after that is done, just finish the other end.
TIP: glue the powergenerator thingy after the guns.

and the pilot is pretty much like the normal guardians, except due to the old school helmet I could not keep it partially white... and that the pants are blue instead of black. Which I did because I painted the seat black and I dont like 2 different things next to eachother to have the same color... Poor planning on my behalf :-\

Besides I like a lot of colors, thats why I also collect harlequins  :D

Offline Xodiac

• Infinity Circuit
  • For there is nothing new under the sun
« Reply #11 on: May 8, 2006, 07:36:14 PM »
Actually now I take some time to look at the War Walker I love the conversion and I'll most likely steal the idea myself when I next do one, very sleak.

As for the pants, you can highlight the seat with grey so it's lighter than the black that will be on the legs if you want to have different colours but still maintain your black legs scheme. Or if you put blood red over the black seat it'll get a brown leather look. Might as well go to battle in comfort. You've also only got black on the upper leg of the guardians so you could do just that and get away with it. I'd paint the helmet white to match the other Guardians and leave his face section red. It won't be identical to your foot sloggers, but not far off.
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.                      -Ecclesiastes 1:9

Offline Kasaron Tyler Gigliello

• It's pronounced 'Kah-Sah-Ron.' Call me Kasa.
    • Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: May 9, 2006, 04:21:56 AM »
Nice paint man, and the scheme really pops, the colors work great together. Also like the war walker,

but can we get a pic of the avatar? I'd really like to see it (fan of anime, would liek to see how you worked the eva into yuor army and such)

just a request.
"I'm not sure he's supposed to make that noise...Or bend that way."
"No worries. He's got a few friends, I can afford to break a few until I get it -just- right."
 - Me and a friend. I'll let you guess if we were working on models, tools, or people.

Offline Vlex

• Ach! Ze Germans are coming!
« Reply #13 on: May 9, 2006, 06:02:40 AM »
I'll probably end up starting a fluff war here in a painting thread, but I think the shrine was destroyed by Ahra (fallen phoenix), but it was on Iyanden.

No, Ahra destroyed the original shrine of the Fire Dragons. Fuegan fell during the defence and was thought lost until he showed up again later, at the world of Blood and Tears (I think this is what the codex says).

To keep somewhat on topic, Coolminiornot.com have a vast archive of well-painted minis. You can search for Iyanden (or even Imperial Fists) and get a good idea on how to highlight yellow well.

Good for larks and lashings of the old ultra-violence!

Offline Hybrid 9

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 04:50:09 AM »
Okay, so I'm taking the time to correct the colors on the pilot and it is looking much more in theme now.

@Tyler_The_Blade: I never said I encorporated it into my army, it is just a kickass paperweight (crouched eva with a riffle behind building... and you can make it shoot!).

Allthough... If I ever go Tau I might buy an EVA-01 as an HQ. My orginal idea for tau was to have an Irken Invasion squad based on Invader Zim. The almighty Tallest being ethereals and the crisissuits as the megadoomer Zim used to torch his own planet :P ;D

@Vlex: I might try that, thanks for the tip