News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aurics Pride's Projects- Corsairs, Raven Guard, Daemons and now Dark Eldar!  (Read 74224 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Prince Finniatann's Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)
« Reply #100 on: November 5, 2016, 05:44:34 AM »
Awesome modelling AP. I really wish that I had the creative flair for converting and posing minis that you constantly demonstrate.

The Librarian looks absolutely badass. I love the fact that he's charging the enemy, taking the fight forward. Most Libby models are fairly static in their pose, so I think that this is definitely a change for the good.

The Chapter Master is superb. Something about him just reminds me of Rogue Trader era stuff. I don't know why - most of the models from back then had largely terrible poses, but I think he really reflects the artwork of the time.

Cracking stuff Auric, I can't wait to see how great these guys look when painted.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #101 on: November 6, 2016, 12:42:40 PM »
Cheers guys!

@Cav- Yeah Librarians are allowed to pick out of the special issue wargear which includes jump packs, the plan is to run him with an assault squad at the moment. Either taking Divination for prescience or possibly telepathy looking for Invisibility or Shrouding.

@Looshkin- Thanks bud, means a lot! I love kitbashing models and rarely use anything straight out of the box unless it's a vehicle. I just wish I was as creative with my painting than my converting! To be honest I did actually have some of the old marine artwork in mind when I made the Chapter master, I wanted something that looked dynamic but for a character that is just a "stand and shoot" guy that was pretty difficult.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
Re: Prince Finniatann\'s Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)
« Reply #102 on: November 7, 2016, 03:20:57 PM »
Hey guys,
Looking for a bit of advice/criticism.
I am thinking about repainting my Harlequins and wanted to go for something pretty different.
I've done a bit of a test on a shadowseer of what I was thinking of but I really can't decide on the colour scheme. What do you guys think? Feel free to be brutal, you won't hurt any feelings as I don't even know what I feel about it! Haha

Obviously no detail work has been done, just base colours.

Post Merge: November  8, 2016, 01:04:42 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

As a point of reference, here is my current painting scheme that I did a couple of years ago.

I really liked the black and white scheme with varying spot colours but I just don't know whether the white really works that well, the painting on the checkerboard isn't particularly good and could certainly be done better.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2016, 01:04:49 AM by Aurics Pride »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #103 on: November 8, 2016, 07:22:55 AM »
Oooh tough decisions. I think the old paint jobs look very nice and are quite clean. My only thing is the black and white are sort of swallowed up by all the spot colors. It doesnt have a sort of unified look as the spot colors are a bit too dominant.

However the test paint on the Shadowseer looks very very promising. I think Dark Purple and black white white (or celestra grey) as your spot color (and perhaps something for the gems) would be fantastic! As I'm sure you and the others know, I kind of like minimalist paint jobs where only 1 or 2 colors really define the model with very minimal use of additional colors. Of course thats purely a matter of preference and to some my approach is a bit boring. 

However if you like the very colorful look, where each guy is a bit more individual (like many Harlie fans do) I wouldn't change anything.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #104 on: November 8, 2016, 11:28:23 AM »
It depends what sort of look you're after.  If you want the traditional multi-coloured Harlequin approach, stick with what you have.  If you want something darker, which suggests that your faction of Harlequins is somewhat different in some way, the test colour scheme looks very promising.  Black, purple, and white suggests something linked to dark happenings or even the dead, a bit like Amethyst magic from the days of Warhammer, so this may influence your decision.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
Re: Prince Finniatann\'s Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)
« Reply #105 on: November 8, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »
Cheers guys!
I do love the discordant look of the Harlies at the moment. I agree with Irisado though, it's almost as if the black and white is the spot colour. Maybe I'll finish off the Shadowseer and see how I feel about it, if all else fails then I can do a little work and get him to fit in with the current scheme easy enough.
I may use the purple in the future for another project though as I really like the scheme and it works beautifully when airbrushed onto Eldar/Dark Eldar vehicles.

EDIT

Another slight little update,
Did some more work on the Shadowseer today and got it to a decent tabletop standard in the new colour scheme idea.
I am really liking the look of it, there is something almost sinister but not quite evil about it and it certainly works well on the Shadowseer.
Included in the photo is a test of the colour scheme on a Starweaver that's been waiting to be painted up, I rather like it on this too.

I think I am probably going to go with the change of colour scheme but it is going to be a fair amount of work to do it. I want to get my Raven Guard bits finished before I start it as I only have a few more bits to do before I am finished for the moment (Until I start adding Forgeworld fun)
« Last Edit: November 9, 2016, 12:57:55 PM by Aurics Pride »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #106 on: November 9, 2016, 02:08:24 PM »
Sick!!! Love it man.... Damn did you stencil that pattern on the Starweaver? It looks fantastic. This totally suits the Twilight Path (or whatever its called) for Warlord traits and such. Fantastic work man, truly a fan of this approach.

Also agreed on completing your Ravenguard. You want that army totally set for long term playing before you get caught up in a new army. Great stuff man keep it up.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2016, 03:41:05 AM »
Cheers Cav, yeah it's the HD stencils from Anarchy Models. Pretty good although quite expensive! I've got one of their reusable HS stencils as well although that is limited in size (probably jetbikes and smaller)

Well I had an interesting game last night.
I took my Harlequins and took quite a fun list:
Masque Detachment
10x Harlequins- 4x Kiss, 2x Caress Troupe Master (Warlord) with Storied Sword and Haywire Grenades
5 Harlequins- 4x Kiss, Troupe Master with Caress & Haywire Grenades
5 Harlequins0 4x Kiss, Troupe Master with Caress & Haywire Grenades
Starweaver
Starweaver
Inriams Spectre
Shadowseer- ML2, Haywire Grenades (Took Phantasmancy and got Shards of Light, Dance of shadows and Veil of tears)
Voidweaver
Faolchu's blade
4x Skyweavers- Zephyrglaives
4x Skyweavers- Haywire Cannons
Voidweaver
Heroes Path
Shadowseer- ML2, Mask of secrets, Haywire Grenades
Solitaire- Haywire Grenades
Death Jester- Haywire Grenades
Craftworld Allies
Farseer- Jetbike
3x Scatbikes
3x Scatbikes

I was up against someone who I had no idea what he was taking, he usually takes Imperial Guard although does have Chaos as well.
He turned up with an artillery train!
A Deathstrike, Manticore and Medusa then 6 Squads in Chimeras supported by Outflanking Rough Riders and a Vulture. I was rather worried!
I won't do a turn by turn breakdown as my memory is definitely not working very well today but we didn't quite finish the game, got to the end of turn 3 and I was up by 11-10 and certainly able to manage a tabling within 2 turns (He had the Vulture, one Command squad, Deathstrike and a Squad in the Chimera left)
Good
  • Skyweavers were absolute bosses! The Haywire Cannons took out a Hellhound on the first turn and continued to take out or nearly take out a tank per turn. The Zephyrglaive guys managed to tank a lot of fire as with Shrouded from the Farseer and their formation bonus they had a 2+ rerollable jink save, can't wait to use them against more fitting targets (Terminators etc)
  • I made a lot of invulnerable saves! Definitely had more than my fair share of luck when it came to my invulnerable saves, basic Harlequins were shrugging off Manticore shots and one troupe even managed to save 4 out of 5 hits from the Deathstrike's apocalyptic blast!
  • Veil of Tears and Invisibility really helped to keep my main Troupe alive, they didn't really do much during the game but really dominated the middle of the board and their threat range actually kept my opponent penned into the corner
Bad
  • The vehicles- As much as I love the look of the Vehicles they just really can't take much in the way of firepower, I got lucky with a few invulnerables/jinks on one of my Voidweavers but the others fell apart as soon as they were targeted. Fortunately the Starweavers had already got their Troupes to where they needed to be.
  • Lack of anti-flyer- I was worried about the Vulture as soon as I saw it come out of the box and rightly so, this army just has no real answer to flyers. The Scatbikes were about my best and they were hitting on 6s and glancing on 6s, not ideal!
  • The Heroes path formation- It's a really cool formation but gave up a Maelstrom point relatively easily when the Shadowseer got instant killed by the Vulture and the Death Jester did absolutely nothing. Definitely could have spent the 320 points better elsewhere. Going to have a look at what else I can add in place of this. At the moment in our club we aren't playing on a huge amount of terrain (Added an extra 2 boards recently) so they aren't getting the most out of their Stealth and Shrouded.
A good game for the Harlequins though, better than my previous forays with them!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 03:45:11 AM by Aurics Pride »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2016, 07:05:35 AM »
Wow... so jealous of your Harlie collection man. Damn what a nice little force! Glad you had the win in hand buddy! Especially against THAT list... Harlie's worst nightmare. Trust me I've tangled with the Vulture many times and its not pretty. That thing is white hot screaming death on wings. Nasty business.

Yeah I hear you on the goods and bads. The anti-air is very tough when you come up against any flyers. I heard a while back that FW was gonna errata the Elder vehicles they've released to be accessible to the Harlies. Meaning Hornets, Nightwings, Phoenix and possibly even the Firestorm but it never happened. The general FW FAQ is years past due and Frontline gaming mentions it often.

But yeah if you need a flyer I'd heartily recommend the Nightwing. Mine's been an absolute ace. Only died 3 times in probably nearly to 50 or 60 games. Even outnumbered 3-1 by enemy flyers its taken them all down on a number of occasions.

You are certainly playing the game on hard-mode with Harlies but its like the Ultimate Eldar Challenge. Props to you for answering the call! Great stuff man keep us posted. Can't wait for more Harlie info. I'm dying to start an army myself!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2016, 09:45:14 AM »
Cheers Cav!
Gotta be honest, I do love my Harlequins, from probably 3rd edition I had been dying to have official rules for them again. Having their own codex was absolutely awesome, even if it is possibly the weakest in the game. At least the Tempestus one has that nice "Get started" box formation haha.
Anti-air is always a big issue with them unfortunately, going to have to look at using allies to get my Nightwing in, might even get a bit of use out of this old thing:

I'd definitely advise trying Harlequins, as you say it's playing on hard mode for sure but it does make some enjoyable if very tough games!
I've got a game this coming Thursday against a friend who I am expecting to use either Dark Eldar or Corsairs. Might bust the Raven Guard out again for this one.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2016, 09:54:04 AM »
That's a very well painted model, and I particularly like the slight nod to Harlequin patterns on the right nose section and engine cover.  That would make it even more suitable as an allied piece of Eldar or Corsair air support.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2016, 11:59:03 AM »
Oh hell yeah! That flyer looks sick! Is it a counts-as Nightwing (I see the lances, but not sure if you've got a shuriken cannon in the nose) Wow... right on cue. Perfect!

Good luck at your game too. Make sure to keep us posted!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2016, 12:39:23 PM »
Cheers guys!
It was actually done as a Razorwing, prior to the Harlequin Codex being released I was actually using the Dark Eldar and Eldar books to make my Harlequin army. I had Wyches painted up to match the colour scheme, A Razorwing and a Wraithlord. I also used my old Alaitoc models.
I am probably going to do a little conversion work to make it into a Nightwing and then repaint it. That'll be a little while away yet though!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2016, 03:20:48 PM »
Nice flavor. I'm having to start mixing my armies to get a good chance to be competeive.I can rock a table with my eldar, get my butt kicked all over the place with my DE and harli's and carry my own with my corsairs, so going against my "pure" lists I will be mixing 'em up a bit in the future. Keep up the good work.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2016, 09:24:11 AM »
Nice flavor. I'm having to start mixing my armies to get a good chance to be competeive.I can rock a table with my eldar, get my butt kicked all over the place with my DE and harli's and carry my own with my corsairs, so going against my "pure" lists I will be mixing 'em up a bit in the future. Keep up the good work.

Yeah to be honest I've found that a little mixing can really help, I've been weakening my Eldar army by adding Harlies and strengthening my Harlies by adding Eldar/ Corsairs.

As an update for the projects, I have a campaign starting next year (Feb time) and I was stuck on what to take, I didn't want to use my Corsairs/Eldar as they often feel just a bit too cheesy so I was leaning towards my Ravens......Until my ebay finger slipped!
Got a big selection of models on their way to me shortly which should be a very different army to anything that I have used before! Going to have to really learn a new playing style. Pictures will follow as soon as I get some bits painted!  ;D

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2016, 03:48:01 PM »
Oh this sounds intriguing. Can't wait to see what you are gonna cook up. Especially considering you picked up stuff on ebay... can't wait! Especially considering how you get your armies up and running pretty dang quick. Though I hope it doesnt mean the end of Ravenguard updates though. Either way I can't wait to see what you are gonna pick up next. Ravenguard and Corsairs are very niche... so I wonder what direction you are going next. Can't wait!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »
Oh don't worry Cav, the Raven Guard updates won't stop. I've still got some bits to paint up but my next purchase costs more than the 1,000pt army I just bought on Ebay! haha
Well, here is a teaser......
All I can say is so far I have taken great Pleasure in painting this model!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2016, 07:03:15 AM »
Looks fantastic! Oh so stoked. Chaos/Daemons projects are always so fantastic to follow. Wow so pumped you went down this road. The paint job is fantastic... Is that Slaanesh Grey you went with for flesh tone? If so I love it.... one of my favorite colors to work with. I like the basing too, nice and simple but gives a little bit of interest.

Can't wait to see what direction this is gonna go. Do give some details on what you intend to collect. Perfect timing with the Traitor Legions book and whatnot. Great stuff as always Auric keep us posted!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2016, 07:49:04 AM »
Cheers Cav!
The paintjob is actually a bit more complicated and is a base coat of Vallejo Hexed Lichen (Airbrushed) then a proper layer of a mix of Hexed Lichen and Dead white (again airbrushed). A fairly deep wash of Druchii violet is then added all over the model and then a light drybrushing of dead white on all of the skin areas to bring it back up to the purpley-grey look. I'd actually started this guy a few hours before GW put out a video on how to paint Daemonette flesh! haha.
My plan so far is to go Mono-Slaanesh. I had an Emperors Children army a lot of years ago which I loved but sold off piecemeal to fund more Eldar (Oh the irony!). I have a new campaign starting in my club in February and I thought it would be a good chance to do something that I've wanted to do for quite some time. It's looking like we'll likely have a Death Guard and a Thousand Sons player with a possible KDK player too so it would also be pretty cool to have all 4 gods represented!

The models I picked up off ebay were 60x Daemonettes, 25x Seekers, A Keeper of secrets and 2x Heralds. This model will likely be a Belakor proxy for a little while and after adding in a few more Seekers (And possibly some Chariots) I am going to add in some allied Noise Marines and maybe even go as far as to convert myself a Chaos Titan......

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #119 on: December 1, 2016, 07:03:14 AM »
Wow sounds like you have an awesome collection planned. I really love the idea of it... having played against those units before I think you'll have a good strong force in addition to a strong visual presentation. I highly rate the Seekers... the models are fantastic... some of my favorites in the Daemon range... and they are great on the tabletop. Haven't mixed it up with a Keeper of Secrets sadly. I hope you get the old Baphomet style one... that one has the SERIOUS creep out factor going... always loved that old pic from 2nd ed of a Grey Knight battling one.

This is gonna be so awesome. I love the Slaanesh models... they look so unique in that pinkish grey. Can't wait to see where this goes. Make sure you keep us posted. I'm totally stoked