News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Alliance Fluff  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Rampart

Alliance Fluff
« on: July 14, 2012, 07:34:29 PM »

We were all expecting to Bro-fist the Blood Angels.
Instead we got Orks, Tau, Grey Knights, and Chaos Marines as our most conveint allies.
Can anyone come with some good fluffy reasons for these?

And please keep the gameplay reasons out, there's another thread for that.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Re: Alliance Fluff
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 08:20:51 PM »
Orks: a lesser race to use as a tool against the enemy. Plus Orks will join up with anyone who can offer a good fight and loot!
Tau: a lesser race to use as a tool against the enemy. Tau will work with anyone for the greater good.
Grey Knights: a lesser race to use as a tool against the enemy. Grey Knights will ally with many races as long as it aids them in the fight against chaos.
Chaos Marines: a lesser race to use as a tool against the enemy. Chaos will use anyone to further the Long War. Just another alliance to use and then break when necessary.

There's a theme there :D
I see Necrons as fairly neutral (in an RP way); they have a goal to achieve and they're fairly prgmatic about it. If an alliance is necessary and it doesn't cause a detriment to them or a Tomb World, then they'll go for it.
The level of alliance is more to do with the other party more than anything I think.

Offline elithren

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:09:59 AM »
You dont even have to go with the fluff for the given armies to explain it. You can take tomp spyders, strap some big guns (annihilation barge guns?) onto your back and then call your tomb marauders that use the broadside rules.  The allies opens the door to two different options:

1. You can take your 2 favorite armies and (potentially) run them together to fullfil some sick, sadistic dream you had.
2. Convert the current models of your current army so they are still "that army" but use the ruleset for one of the allies listed.

As pointed out in my post about pariahs, I'll be running them as grey knight termy rules (all hammers). I call them my pariahs, led by a pariah lord, all on 40 MM bases to keep to the rules needed.  Granted, I will need to use GS to beef them out a little so they feel worthy of a 2+ armor save, but the conversion is awesome.

Offline Trokair

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 11:15:54 AM »

We were all expecting to Bro-fist the Blood Angels.
Please do explain, I am not farmilliar with any fluff relevant to this.
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.

Offline NecronCell2131

• KoN Veteran
  • Mindshackle Scarabs Abuser
  • Armies: Necrons, Vampire counts
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »
 Theres a nice bit of fluff in our book that tells of an empire using mind shackle scarabs to control the lesser races.

Blood Angels and Necrons teamed up to fight a tyranid tendril (not sure which one), We've also done this with Tau, though in case with the Tau we kinda massacred them afterwords.
My Tesseract Labyrinth Collection:
 1xDreadknight
 Enemies Doored by Monolith:
 1xBlack templars dreadnought,1xChaos lord,1xEmperors champion,1xDante,1xBelial,4xMelta guns that failed to kill it,1xWolf lord,1xStraken

Offline Trokair

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:09:06 PM »
Thanks, Must have missed/forgotten, time to go and read.
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.