News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Army Building Contest  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Eldar Army Building Contest
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:42:11 AM »
The Eldar Army List building contest:

The object of this contest is to see who can build the most effective take on all comers Eldar army list without resorting to spam style win at all cost lists.  There may well be some sort of modest prize in it for the winners, so get your thinking caps on.

The rules:

1. All entries should be posted in their respective threads, and must be posted by the deadline date or they will not count.  Entries which are posted after the deadline will be deleted.

2. There will be five categories, one for each major craftworld, plus the so called vanilla Eldar craftworld.  The army lists should loosely fit the theme of the craftworld in question (if applicable), but do not go over the top, particularly with regard to spamming one or two unit types (see above).

3. For each army list, you also need to explain the strategy and tactics involved with using.  Please do not just post a list with no explanatory notes, as this will be removed for failing to comply with the rules of the contest.

4. You may post one army list in as many of the craftworld categories as you wish.

5. Each category will be open for one week, starting with the vanilla craftworld option, and moving through the major craftworlds in alphabetical order.

6. Lists comprising nothing but DAVUs and Fire Dragons are ineligible for the reasons I gave at the start of the thread, so please don't post lists like these.

7. Remember the list has to be an all comers army, which is capable of being effective in all three mission types found in the main rulebook, so think carefully about your choices.

8. Only units from the Eldar codex and the Nightspinner (White Dwarf version) may be used.  This means no Apocalypse, IA units, or allies of any description.

9. The points value for your army list must be 1750 points (give or take a few points under).

10. Please do not critique the army lists as you would in a normal army list thread.  There will be a vote later, and that's where you'll be effectively voicing your opinion.

If there are any general questions, please use this thread to ask them, but do not post the army lists here.  The final decision regarding the winners of each category will be taken via voting in the Polling Booth at the appropriate time.

Finally, if there is insufficient interest in the contest, it will go no further than the generic vanilla craftworld thread, so don't hold back waiting for your craftworld if you have an idea for a good generic list  :).

The first thread is the generic/vanilla craftworld.
The Alaitoc thread is now up here.  Note that you only have one week to submit your entries (see the change to rule 5 above)
« Last Edit: April 6, 2012, 03:45:05 PM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
Re: Eldar Army Building Contest
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:51:10 AM »
Is there a set points cost to this, or are we expecting some degree of hog-wild-ness?
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:55:23 AM »
What's the points cost?
I think we all need to be singing from the same sheet or it'll be impossible to compare lists.

I agree there should be a points limit.
Might I suggest 1750? It allows people to get in the requisite HQ and troop choices plus leaves a little extra room for something interesting, without being a "take everything" limit like 2500.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:02:50 AM by Irisado »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:05:29 AM »
I was just checking that you would all notice.  I didn't forget to include a points limit, honestly  :P ;).  I've updated the first post of this thread accordingly.

Dizz, I agree that it should be 1750 points, so this will be the points limit.  I'll also update the vanilla craftworld thread with this points value.

N.B. I moved posts around to keep all the questions in this thread, but because I made a hash of the points issue, I'm not counting that as moderation  :).

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »
Very intresting :) I think I have a vanilla Biel-tan list lying around somewhere, but sadly it's at 2000 points (I think it has all aspects in it), perhaps I can modify it :) Vanilla = no upgrades like exarches and warlocks right?
How about special characters?
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »
Vanilla simply means not affiliated to any particular craftworld.  In other words, it's designed as a category for all those who don't want to post craftworld themed lists, or have lists which are themed around their own home made craftworld.

Upgrades and special characters are all permissible, but obviously special characters are more likely to have a place in certain themed craftworld lists than in vanilla lists, so think very carefully about this when designing a vanilla Eldar army.

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »
I like the allcommer Idea BUT I do suggest one thing more, or one category more.
Due to the fact that I do not like the "it is effective" approach in building lists I suggest:
Let us have a "feeling good" category as well.

It would be for fluffy and/or fun to play lists.
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:35:43 PM »
Effectiveness isn't a category, it's the aim of the contest  ;).

The point of the contest is to build an effective list, as there needs to be a standard to members of the forum to have in their minds when it comes to voting.  The background side of list making is still present, particularly for the craftworld specific categories, so it's not being overlooked.

It's also worth noting that effective army lists can also be enjoyable to play, and that's really what this contest is about, since the bland DAVU type lists are ineligible for entry (see the first post).

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 04:34:59 PM »
A couple of quite possible galringly obvious questions.

Firstly why the WD versions of the Nightspinner when there are now iofficial rules for it?

Second is to do with the voting. Who votes? Mods? those who contributed? The entire membership?

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »
Firstly why the WD versions of the Nightspinner when there are now iofficial rules for it?

The rules on GW's website are the same as the ones printed in WD366.  I just cited White Dwarf to avoid confusion with any possible Forgeworld version of the same vehicle.

Second is to do with the voting. Who votes? Mods? those who contributed? The entire membership?

Any member of the forum will be entitled to vote.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 12:25:07 PM »
So I was wondering, when it comes to voting if we'd like to initiate a, "Gentlemens' agreement," to not vote for our own list?

Since I made mine, I think it's the best ;), but I imagine that everyone that drafted a list believes the same. I think an agreement to vote for other people's lists would create a more significant demonstration of whom has created the best list, instead of two or three votes for each list [one from each poster, plus a couple of others] only being separated by a vote or two.

I'm unaware of an option to actively prevent someone from voting for their own list, but I'd be happy to rely on the honour system, if we'd like to go that route. :)

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »
I would like to think that nobody would vote for their own list, but the forum software doesn't prevent you from doing so.

The Poll is now up, so get voting :).  You only have seven days.  It has been placed in the Polling Booth, so that members who don't frequent the Eldar boards may also see it and take part.  I shall also try to rustle up some additional voters.

The best of luck to you all.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 02:16:27 PM »
*Shrug* I doubt anyone would accuse me of being modest. I just wanted to be clear before I cast my vote. :)

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »
Maybe we could be posting lists for the next Craftworld while the vote for the previous one is still going? I'm looking forward to post my Ulthwe list very much but it looks like an awful long time to wait. This would speed up the prcess by a couple of weeks  ;D
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »
I already shortened the list posting time following the vanilla contest to make it more dynamic.  I think that it's better to leave a gap while voting takes place, as the contest has proved quite popular, so rushing through it seems unnecessary.  Besides, just because the thread isn't up yet doesn't mean that you can't be planning possible lists in your head or on paper for when it does go up  ;).

The Winners:

Vanilla: Fenris
Alaitoc: XavianBlackSoul and Fenris (tie)
Biel-Tan: Volatilegaz
Iyanden: Fenris
Saim-Hann: Grand Master Lomandalis
Ulthwé: Fenris

Thank you to all those who entered.  A lot of the votes were also very closely fought.  Well done to the winners.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:27:51 AM by Irisado »

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 01:02:05 AM »
Thanks Everyone, I think I've earned some bragging rights at least ;)
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.