News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000pts Dark Angels + Adeptus Custodes  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
2000pts Dark Angels + Adeptus Custodes
« on: January 27, 2018, 08:00:04 PM »
How could I not include the Custodes with a Dark Angel detachment to pad their weaknesses?

Adeptus Custodes Batallion
HQ
Shield-Captain:  Guardian Spear.  122pts

Shield-Captain:  Guardian Spear.  122pts

Elites
Vexilus Praetor:  Vexilla Magnifica.  125pts

Troops
4 Custodian Guard:  3 Guardian Spears, 1 Storm Shield & Sentinel Blade.  215pts

4 Custodian Guard:  3 Guardian Spears, 1 Storm Shield & Sentinel Blade.  215pts

3 Custodian Guard:  1 Guardian Spear, 2 Storm Shield & Sentinel Blades.  170pts

Dark Angels Batallion
HQ
Sammael:  Sableclaw.  216pts

Ravenwing Talonmaster:  Heavenfall Blade.  188pts

Ravenwing Talonmaster188pts

Troops
5 Scouts:  Snipers.  75pts

5 Tactical Marines:  Lascannon.  90pts

5 Tactical MArines:  Lascannon.  90pts

Fast Attack
4 Black Knights.  184pts

Total Points:  2000
Model Count:  36
Command Points:  9

One of the biggest struggles for the Custodes is that they don't have enough volume of attacks to adequately deal with massed infantry.  The Land Speeders from the Dark Angels provide a boost to that with each kicking out 18 shots.  The two Lascannons provide a reliable anti-tank punch thanks to Grim Resolve, and the Black Knights can really help out on the anti-tank front while utilizing  Weapons from the Dark Age.  Plus, they give some speed for objectives that is always helpful.

The idea is to have the two larger custodes units walk, while the third with the double shields will be put in reserves thanks to a command point.  The added bonus is that if I start with Sammael as the Warlord and he dies, I can use a command point to shift my Warlord to a Shield-Captain, effectively denying the point for Warlord.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: 2000pts Dark Angels + Adeptus Custodes
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 10:16:01 PM »
I like it. Those landspeeders can put it a world of hurt.
Only issue I can see is with mechanized lists, or big models. Two lascannons won't really do a whole lot.

You can beslubber amphetamine parrot up in melee, but ranged big damage firepower is lacking. Might not be a problem, but units like mortarion you want to kill outside of melee.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:32:25 PM »
I like it. Those landspeeders can put it a world of hurt.
Only issue I can see is with mechanized lists, or big models. Two lascannons won't really do a whole lot.

You can beslubber amphetamine parrot up in melee, but ranged big damage firepower is lacking. Might not be a problem, but units like mortarion you want to kill outside of melee.
True, two lascannons isn't a lot.  But the Black Knights can help out with the ranged anti-tank.  32" effective threat range for Overcharged Plasma doing extra damage can put a hurt on most vehicles.

Unfortunately, I can't really see a way to boost the ranged anti-tank without taking more away from the Custodes, which isn't something I really want to do.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:33:45 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 10:34:43 PM »
This is true. Worst case scenario, your speeders can pump out wounds too. 

I think I'd have trouble against this list.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 10:41:56 PM »
I'm going to be running this list on Thursday, so I will let you know how it goes.  The added bonus is that the Tactical Squads can help to push deep striking units back from my flanks while the scouts secure the front.
I knew I had fans!!!

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 10:47:55 PM »
I'm going to be running this list on Thursday, so I will let you know how it goes.  The added bonus is that the Tactical Squads can help to push deep striking units back from my flanks while the scouts secure the front.

Sounds like a solid strategy! Look forward to hearing how it goes!
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria