News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70358 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Adeptus Mechanicus
« Reply #320 on: April 16, 2018, 07:38:44 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, guys, I'll think on it! I do have a painted squad of five stormcast I did a couple years ago. They have some mistakes on them that I hope I've learned from, but maybe I'll put some images up in the painting section for right now, I guess that could be a preliminary ;D.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #321 on: April 22, 2018, 04:06:51 AM »
That Knight looks stone-cold awesome Loosh ;) and the double-split colours really works, even if it was unintended. Reminiscent of many medieval liveried shields and tabards :)

That's what I figured. if you're echoing medieval themes with Knight societies, well, you're probably doing it right. They're called Knights for goodness sake!

That heat-effect though. As a bit of a welder I've seen a lot of heat colouration and that is spot on ;)

You don't know how happy that makes me. That's one of the things that worried me, as it's quite bold and 'in your face'. I'm glad it doesn't look unrealistic.

As an example, I when I first started posting here I was ok I suppose. Basecoat, bit of drybrushing amd a wash. Now, after a lot of encouragement from these guys...my painting technique hasn't changed a bit. But just little tips and encouragement here and there has really helped me push my 'basecoat/drybrush/wash' technique as far as I can take it :)

I think you're doing yourself quite a disservice there Ynnead. Your painting style rocks.

The point remains, though, for MenTal. The Plogs are a tremendous source of inspiration, a great exchange of ideas and really everything that the painting/building/converting side of the hobby should be.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys, I'll think on it! I do have a painted squad of five stormcast I did a couple years ago. They have some mistakes on them that I hope I've learned from, but maybe I'll put some images up in the painting section for right now, I guess that could be a preliminary ;D.

You've dipped your toe into the waters...take the plunge and join us in the murky plog waters!

Mini update time!

Being away for a funeral has kinda turned everything upside-down for the last week and a bit. As such, I haven't managed to 'finish' anything. I'm 98% through with my 2nd Armiger. I just had the final basing to go (It's finished similarly to the other Armiger, but I want to do a little bit of techno-scrap on the base, which I haven't started).

In the interim, I'll show a few pictures of the Armigers that I took just over a week ago:

If I can get some photos later today, I will. Both Knights are now complete with transfers and weathering. As I said, I just have final basing elements to do for one of the Knights.

I also started working on these guys for Shadespire. Great minis. Especially seeing as they're push-fit. Really great levels of detail.

I know it's not much of an update, but at least it's something!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #322 on: April 22, 2018, 05:24:39 AM »
Those Armigers... so... beautiful ;D! Also really love the new Skaven minis, so I'm glad you're doing them. Can't wait to see how those turn out!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #323 on: April 22, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »
Oh man, soooooo good. Those armigers just look fantastic! I LOVE the pose on the new one too. Mid-action poses are my fave. Love how the arms and the split color scheme are on opposite sides on each knight, that is a really awesome yet subtle choice. The paint jobs are just phenomenal as always Loosh.

Also Skaven! Damn! I'm working on AoS stuff on commission, Brian is working on his Shadespire gang and now you too Loosh. Everybody is tempting me with AOS stuff lately... I want to play! Damnit.... I'm sure this is gonna be glorious! If you exapnd out to army size you gonna get the Great Horned Rat model? That thing is absolutely insane. Skaven and Dwarves are my fave factions from AoS so I'm looking forward to following this. Anyway great stuff Loosh cant wait for more!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #324 on: April 22, 2018, 06:53:36 AM »
What kind of freaking monster are you!!!! Those arminger or what not... They are so insane... That's an absurde level of painting and patience for details. That's mind blowing.

Just how do you get so many blend of red and dark everywhere? Aerograph? Wash?

Very well done I'm looking forward to your next post that for sure!

I can't tell I'm as exited for the rats but it's bond to be cool looking so I'm still looking forward to them. This is bond to look cool.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #325 on: April 24, 2018, 07:10:44 PM »
Those Armigers... so... beautiful ;D! Also really love the new Skaven minis, so I'm glad you're doing them. Can't wait to see how those turn out!

Thanks MyenTal! I'll be pottering along with the Skaven, but I have 1 more 'mini' that I want to cencentrate on before I work on anything else...

Oh man, soooooo good. Those armigers just look fantastic! I LOVE the pose on the new one too. Mid-action poses are my fave. Love how the arms and the split color scheme are on opposite sides on each knight, that is a really awesome yet subtle choice. The paint jobs are just phenomenal as always Loosh.

I find the models pretty dorky if you put them together facing forward; they're oddly proportioned for that kind of pose. Change an arm angle here or there and twist the body and they look a lot better. Anyway, glad you're loving them!

Also Skaven! Damn! I'm working on AoS stuff on commission, Brian is working on his Shadespire gang and now you too Loosh. Everybody is tempting me with AOS stuff lately... I want to play! Damnit.... I'm sure this is gonna be glorious!
I haven't touched AoS yet. Just putting together the Shadespire gangs as they're much more manageable. I have actually got a reasonable sized Skaven WHFB army that I only managed to use a couple of times before the change to AoS:

I will not miss ranking up these guys:

This guy was soooooooo much fun to paint though!

If you exapnd out to army size you gonna get the Great Horned Rat model?

Hahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahaha ha! Aha! Aha! Aha! Aha! Ha! Ha! Haaaaaa........

Yeah. So if you didn't know by now, I vastly underestimate how quickly I complete projects. I try to be realistic, but my form of realism is 'If I can paint for 3 hours a day and pretend I don't have a wife and child, I can defo complete this in 2 weeks...'

But that means I also vastly overbuy models to work on. Check it out:

But, as you can see in the top right, one of these boxes is a Horned Rat model. I think I'm just waiting for more Skaven units to drop in AoS, because I'm absolutely not a Plague Monk guy. I love my Storm Vermin and Warlord Clans too much! I'll work on him one day, but he's down the list of 'stuff I'm embarrassed I haven't painted yet'.

And yes, looking at those photos, while considering I have several other boxes unopened in my garage, I am hugely aware that I have a problem.

A big problem  :-[

Oh well...best go buy more miniatures to comfort myself  ;D

What kind of freaking monster are you!!!! Those arminger or what not... They are so insane... That's an absurde level of painting and patience for details. That's mind blowing.

Just how do you get so many blend of red and dark everywhere? Aerograph? Wash?

Thanks Grizzlykin, that means a lot!

As for the method, I plan on putting together a guide on how to achieve the effect when I paint my next model. So it should hit in the next 2-3 weeks if all goes well. In short though, it's a silver base with Forgeworld clear glazes applied in several layers over the top.

Thanks for the feedback all; as a reward (Or punishment, depending on your point of view), have a couple more. photos of Armigers. Hey, I'm building stuff...plastic glue and mold lines aren't photogenic!

Basing elements to come:

Hints of weathering:

Just hints though, I wanted these to look pretty fresh:

Finally, I sneak preview of the next item in production (Also the last of the Ad Mech type units for a little while...I'm getting burnt out by them!):

Thanks, everyone, for dropping by and giving your support and feedback; you guys rock!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #326 on: April 25, 2018, 05:18:45 AM »
The item that most caught my eye in amongst all that lot was your copy of Advanced Heroquest. Out of curiosity, did you ever get around to painting the models for that?  In my copy of that game, the models all came on round bases, even though it was a square based board, so if you were ever thinking of playing Age of Sigmar with Skaven, that would be one way in which you could use some on circular bases if you wanted to.  It does not unduly matter, as square bases work well enough, but it just crossed my mind.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #327 on: April 25, 2018, 06:23:05 AM »
@Irisado- Good eye! I totally missed that! Damn do I love Heroquest... never played or saw the models from Advance Hero Quest. I gotta paint mine up... I love that game to death!

@Looshkin- Great stuff Loosh, they look excellent with all the finishing touches. All the red touches on the chain sword, feet, shoulder pads are just absolutley killer. Couldn't have come out nicer. What a win this Ad Mech force is going to be.

I love your Skaven models as well. The wheel is phenomenal. Super jealous of your boxes of unpainted stuff. I wish I had all that fun stuff waiting in the wings...

Cant wait to see the Knight should be excellent! Great post Loosh, love the peak behind the scenes too. Keep it up!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #328 on: April 25, 2018, 11:27:29 AM »
Man that is an awesome amount of hobby stuff that you have accumulated. You must be kicking yourself every time GW releases something new.  :)

This guy was soooooooo much fun to paint though!

I remember when you painted that wheel back in 2014. It was awesome then and it still awesome now. I am sure your photo's were brighter back then as well.

Your Armigers look brilliant and the hint of weathering has pushed them to another level. Fan bloody tastic.

I am not a welder like Yneeadwraith but I have worked around metalworkers for most of my working life and the heat discolouration you have achieved on the weapons is so much like what you see on titanium it is unreal. Search for images of titanium heat treatment and you will see what I mean. Though given that you work around aircraft I am guessing you already knew this.

Have you painted the assassins yet? If not I can't wait to see what you do with them.

I like the way the oil drums look now that they are suitably dirty.

Is the Knight going to be painted in the same way as the Armigers?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:36:41 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #329 on: May 3, 2018, 07:23:02 PM »
*Hobby Overload*

Quite the collection you've stacked up, Looshkin, how has your hobby space not been swept away by the Grey Tide ;D? Makes me envious though ;), you have to assemble and paint up that Verminlord at some point!

I would seriously consider Skaven as an army to collect in Age of Sigmar, but their current faction divisions kind of puts me off until a new Battletome for them comes out. Long live Clan Mors (Or Verminous) ;D! That being said, their models look really cool and fun, would be interesting to see them fleshed out in AoS sometime.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #330 on: May 4, 2018, 08:37:25 AM »
Oh wow, those Armigers look incredible!!
I wasn't a huge fan of those models from what I've seen previously but you just may be changing my mind. The colour scheme works so well and the little details just look so good. I love the effect on the Melta weapons!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #331 on: May 4, 2018, 03:24:50 PM »
I picked up another plague claw and the filth box a few months back, still all nice and neat in their boxes. I've always played monks and furnace but unfortunately AoS has left me cold. I want to build and paint them but.  I'm trying to turn my attention to the Ynarri and haven't succeeded with them yet either.

So watching all of your guys work keeps me happy for now. So keep it up.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #332 on: May 6, 2018, 04:07:35 AM »
The item that most caught my eye in amongst all that lot was your copy of Advanced Heroquest. Out of curiosity, did you ever get around to painting the models for that?  In my copy of that game, the models all came on round bases, even though it was a square based board, so if you were ever thinking of playing Age of Sigmar with Skaven, that would be one way in which you could use some on circular bases if you wanted to.  It does not unduly matter, as square bases work well enough, but it just crossed my mind.

I did get round to painting the minis. The quality of the sculpts isn't particularly great, but I'd be happy to use them in AoS if the need arises.

I think at some stage I'll rebase all my Skaven, but that's a job for a long way in the future, when all the other jobs are done! Thanks for dropping by Iri...I appreciate you popping in when there isn't a single painted Eldar to be seen!

Though given that you work around aircraft I am guessing you already knew this.

Given that I work with Aircraft, I know what Oil spatter looks like. I also know that if I see fluid on the floor near the aircraft, it's best to ask an engineer to taste it to find out what it is, rather than taste it myself! Not a lie.

Have you painted the assassins yet? If not I can't wait to see what you do with them.

Unfortunately those Assassins were in the box that may or may not be somewhere in the Falkland Islands...so effectively lost for all time! Gah!

I would seriously consider Skaven as an army to collect in Age of Sigmar, but their current faction divisions kind of puts me off until a new Battletome for them comes out. Long live Clan Mors (Or Verminous) ;D! That being said, their models look really cool and fun, would be interesting to see them fleshed out in AoS sometime.

I think I'm waiting for them to do something with the Warlord Clans too. I like the steam punk aesthetic of the Storm Fiends but they need to expand the range or at least give everything a common theme. Plague Monks are not in any way interesting to me. I like the Wily Coyote style of madcap villainy that the Skaven bring to the setting.

I picked up another plague claw and the filth box a few months back, still all nice and neat in their boxes. I've always played monks and furnace but unfortunately AoS has left me cold.

Sorry to hear that Dread. I haven't touched AoS yet. I am planning to, as I think some of the model ranges are fantastic. I think I may have a bad taste in my mouth having finished a small force of Skaven and then having them immediately look out of place. Hopefully something will draw us both in soon!

Oh wow, those Armigers look incredible!!
I wasn't a huge fan of those models from what I've seen previously but you just may be changing my mind. The colour scheme works so well and the little details just look so good. I love the effect on the Melta weapons!

Is the Knight going to be painted in the same way as the Armigers?

@Looshkin- Great stuff Loosh, they look excellent with all the finishing touches. All the red touches on the chain sword, feet, shoulder pads are just absolutley killer. Couldn't have come out nicer. What a win this Ad Mech force is going to be.

Cant wait to see the Knight should be excellent! Great post Loosh, love the peak behind the scenes too. Keep it up!

Thank you everyone for all your awesome comments!

Sorry there haven't been any updates for the past couple of weeks. My hobby output dropped significantly, but I'm hoping it will pick up again very soon.

Unfortunately I've hit a brick wall with the Knight that I was prepping. The model is largely built and prepped. I have also undercoated and base coated it. I've even got round to doing the preshades for the armour plates.

But.

There's always a but.

Forge World have discontinued their paint range due to appalling sales.

No more Clear paints from FW. No more Angron Red.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

As such, I got some Vallejo transparent red. Not the same thing at all. The pigment is totally wrong.

So now I'm waiting on Tamiya Clear Red, which is apparently what the FW was based on...but I was avoiding using because it is alcohol, not water based and as such is a bit more of a pain to use. Hopefully it will arrive in a couple of days and then I can make some real progress.

Thank you all for popping by and leaving some great feedback. Hopefully your patience will be rewarded!
« Last Edit: May 6, 2018, 04:09:03 AM by Looshkin »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #333 on: May 6, 2018, 05:31:08 AM »
Khorne will be most displeased by the loss of Angron red.  I will check for an angry horde of Bloodletters encircling GW's Lenton HQ next time I pass by on my way to work :D.

Thanks for posting the Skaven.  The miniatures are dated now, but I still think that they look pretty good for the era in which they were produced.  They are not as good as the plastic models made for regular Heroquest though.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #334 on: May 7, 2018, 06:35:57 AM »
Aww man :( I wonder whether you can still pick some up from eBay or the like? Might be tricky with sub-par sales though :S

I have heard good things about Tamiya Clear Red though so hopefully that should work out nicely :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #335 on: May 8, 2018, 09:12:33 PM »
Khorne will be most displeased by the loss of Angron red.  I will check for an angry horde of Bloodletters encircling GW's Lenton HQ next time I pass by on my way to work :D.

Do so. Hopefully at some stage they may revisit and release the paints as part of GW's Air range. I think maybe in this case, being featured on the FW side of things may have forced the paints into a niche subset of what is a niche market! Fingers crossed the Tamiya Red works well for me.

Thanks for posting the Skaven.  The miniatures are dated now, but I still think that they look pretty good for the era in which they were produced.  They are not as good as the plastic models made for regular Heroquest though.

I lost many a school lunchtime playing Heroquest with my mates. The minis were good. I'll not lie though, the depth of the Advanced Heroquest rule set was far more appealing to me and the heroes were actually pretty good. I painted them up some time ago and wasn't disappointed with the results...although they do, of course, fall far, far short of some of the minis created today.

Aww man :( I wonder whether you can still pick some up from eBay or the like? Might be tricky with sub-par sales though :S

I have heard good things about Tamiya Clear Red though so hopefully that should work out nicely :)

Fingers crossed it works. I've actually only found a couple of online retailers that carry FW paints and neither of those even had it listed. I've tried Ebay too. No joy. Fingers crossed on the Tamiya Red!!

Anyhow! Hello everyone and thank you for your continued patience as I very impatiently wait for my Tamiya Clear Red to appear! In the meantime, I put in some work on Spiteclaw's Swarm; the Shadespire Warband that I want to get used to as my 'main' war band. I'm not sure how anything can be a 'main' war band when you've only ever played a couple of games, but I'm hoping that now that I've invested more time in the minis, it'll give me the impetus to play a bit more.

Even with the babble, onto the minis. I think it's important to note that I wasn't trying to win any awards with these guys, I just wanted them to be presentable and look good as a collection.

Scritch Spiteclaw:

I kinda love the posing of this miniature. It also allowed me the opportunity to use all of GW's technical grot paints on various effects! There's Rust, Depp rust, Verdigris, the Sewer water uses Nurgle's Rot and finally I got a little blood spatter going on the Halberd. It's a fun model to paint. When I update my Skaven army, I may well pick up another Skritch to use as a Warlord.

Krrk The Almost-Trusted"
I love the little rats perching on this guy's shoulder

Lurking Skaven:

I love the Top-Down view of the lurking Skaven. Everything about the pose works for me.

Festering Skaven:

Sorry it's a bit fuzzy. The photo. Not the rat.

Hungering Skaven:

The Rat Pack:

I think this photo helps show how well the models work together. They really look as though they were designed with the complete gang in mind for how the aesthetic would work...and I think the designers absolutely nailed it with this war band. The only others that come close are the Sepulchral Guard and even then, I think the Skaven work best.

So there you are. Not a lot of work, but I bashed these together over a couple of nights and am pretty pleased with how they came out.* Might have to pop into my GW on Friday and see whether I can get a game in against someone!

Cheers all.

*Massive shout out to Cav for the recipe for painting the stone. I was struggling with what to do with the bases and didn't really like the effect I got with the Stormcast a few months ago...then Cav's Morathi landed and I saw what I wanted to do; albeit with my own interpretation of the work. So thank you Cav!
« Last Edit: May 9, 2018, 12:01:04 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #336 on: May 9, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
Oh my god Looshkin, those Skaven?  Those Skaven, oh my god, those Skaven.  They’re fantastic!  ;D

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #337 on: May 9, 2018, 01:55:19 PM »
Those bases are just spectacular. I'm in love with the wet, slimy moss on the rocks.

I see what you mean by how they look awesome in a pack. Not that they don't look great individually, but the sum is greater than the parts.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #338 on: May 9, 2018, 04:44:12 PM »
Squeak squeak squeakums. Grrr squeak plrplrplr. They look great. I need to get them.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #339 on: May 9, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »
Wow just incredible Loosh. Totally classic paint jobs, seriously man, look like they came right out of a White Dwarf. I really like the paint schemes too, they feel like they are out of the Old World... scavenged from peasants or something. Just fantastic!

The warlord is amazing... the Nurgle's Rot and blood is just so eyecatching. A real centerpiece. I love it!

Also so glad my stone recipe helped you. Really gratifying to pass on a technique to a good friend and a hobbyist I've got tremendous respect for. Cheers to you bud these guys look great!