News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A supposedly sub-optimal 2000 hybrid list.  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
  • *Slurp* I mean... *Sip*
A supposedly sub-optimal 2000 hybrid list.
« on: June 20, 2013, 01:00:15 AM »
I submitted this list on a board that shall remain... anonymous and the only feedback was that it was suboptimal and shame on me for not taking advantage of allies at 2k points.

Etherial; 2 Marker Drones 74

Commander (Warlord), 2 Fusion Blasters, Early Warning Override (EWO), Advanced Targeting System, System Jammer, 2 Shield Drones 149

Iridium Bodyguard; Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Shield, 2 Gun Drones 133
Bonding Knife Ritual

Bodyguard 2; 2 Plasma Rifles, EWO , 2 Shield Drones 99
Bonding Knife Ritual

Riptide; Ion Accelerator, Twin Plasma, EWO, Stimms 225

The Riptide and HQ unit will be the anti-deepstrikers, while the Commander can (sometimes) assassinate characters from the ranks of said deepstrikers.

3 Crisis suits, with 2 missile launchers each 186

12Firewariors, 2 Marker Drones 132

18 Kroot including Shaper and 2 hounds 133

12 Firewarriors
Devilfish, SMS, Decoy Launcher, Disrption Pod, Point defence System 226

6 Pathfinders 66

The Kroot will infiltrate onto or near an objective, with support from the Firewarriors in a Devilfish and whatever the battlefield dictates is appropriate. The Pathfinders and FCWs with an Etherial will form the firebase.

Barracuda fighter with Decoy Launchers and Disruption Pods. 148

Hammerhead with Submunition Railgun, Longstrike, Decoy Launchers, Disruption Pods and 2 Seeker Missiles. 209

This leaves 18 points to play with, but I can't figure out why or how it's sub-optimal. Too many gubbins in the HQ? What should I eliminate? What should I include? This is the first time in years that I've made a 2k point list. It might seem odd that the Bodyguard has the Iridium suit, BUT that's the one I want taking the punishment, not the Commander.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:32:36 AM by Siege_TF »
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun
An animal of a race of the Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager) native to northern Iran.

In other words GW are calling Tau players wild asses for wanting a melee suit option.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Re: A supposedly sub-optimal 2000 hybrid list.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 04:56:54 AM »
A few things to start the conversation:

Could you please give unit point values as it's kinda hard to figure out how many points are going where...
Why do you have an Aun?
You cannot have a bonding knife ritual on a single model...
You should put some Seeker Missiles on the Hammerhead as they'll get Longstrike's Tank Hunter Special Rule.
I'm not sure how effective EWO would be on models with 18" range especially if you using JSJ in and out of cover as then they'll also get a cover save.

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 06:26:13 AM »
Edited the list to include points values, the Aun will help to anchor the firebase. The seekers on the Hammerhead are a good idea. I just realized I paid for Bonding Knife Ritual on the commander when I don't need to. In the last large games I've played I had a lot of Terminator armoured opponents, Deathwing, Grey Knights, etc, and I want to be able to deal with them (and their little uber characters too! *cackle*). Between the 6 drones (forgot to include two) and shielded iridium suit I'm not going to rely heavily on JSJ for cover in my HQ unit they get thinned down; the missile pod unit can play duck-and-weave.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:40:19 AM by Siege_TF »
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun
An animal of a race of the Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager) native to northern Iran.

In other words GW are calling Tau players wild asses for wanting a melee suit option.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:40:27 AM »
Cool thanks, here are some more questions:

You have two focuses with your list which means that you've not got enough tanks, troops or in your face units.

Is the Devilfish going to hide until you need to grab objectives at the end of the game?
Why not get some Shielded Missile Drones?
Why so few troops at 2000pts surely 4 decent sized units would be better (16 Kroot, 3 x 8 Fire Warriors with 2 Marker Drones)?
Could your Bodyguards be turned into a 3 strong Crisis Team with a few less toys?
Or could you take a double FOC and field 3 Commanders instead of your Bodyguards?
Why Shield Drones when you could get Gun or Marker Drones, esp. when you're using Iridium Armour?
Why not take two Hammerheads (or Hammerhead and Skyray) with less upgrades?
How about a 3 strong Stealth Team with 2 Gun Drones?

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »
Good questions. The entire idea of the army is to take and hold two objectives. The firebase; Pathfinders, Aun, FCWs on foot, and Hammerhead would hold one while the rest of the army takes the second with the Kroot establishing a foothold through infiltration, and being reinforced by the mobile aspects of the army (HQ, Elites and FCWS in a fish).

Instead of shielded missile drones I decided to take Stimms since the drones don't have the AP I expect I'll need.
I don't know what to sacrifice for the sake of more troops.
Although I'm leery of having Look Out Sir not being a sure thing I could bump up the toughness of my Commander and make the bodyguards into a crisis team...
I took the shield drones in case of lascannon spam. I'm tempted to take more rather than less.
I like Stealthsuits in large numbers, but decided against them in this particular list.

Lemme see if I can make something more streamlined.

Post Merge: June 22, 2013, 11:04:11 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Okay here we go; less toys more killy.

Commander; Iridium Armour, 2 Plasma Rifles, Stimms, System Jammer, 2 Shield Drones. 206

2 Crisis suits with 2 Plasma Rifles each. 104

3 Crisis suits, 2 missile pods each, Shas'vre with Puretide Chip, 2 shield drones, Bonding Knife ritual. 208

Riptide; Ion Accelerator, Twin Plasma Rifles, EWO, Stimms. 225

10 FCWs & 2 Marker Drones

12 FCWs, Devilfish; SMS, Decoy Launcher, Disruption Pod, Point Defence System. 226

18 Kroot including Shaper, 2 Kroot Hounds. 133

6 Pathfinders 66

Barracuda, Decoy Launcher, Disruption Pod 148

Hammerhead, Submunitions, SMS, Decoy Launcher, Disruption Pod, 1 Seeker Missile. 156

2 Broadsides
1 with Twin Rail Gun, SMS, Target Lock, 2 Missile Drones
1 with HY-MP, Velocity Tracker, 1 seeker missile. 187

That's 2001 points, I'll remove a Kroot if my opponent wishes. Much stronger firebase, and a nigh-unkillable commander and Riptide allowing for a more effective hammer-and-anvil approach.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:04:11 AM by Siege_TF »
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »
Id drop that kroot anyway to be honest you should always be taking BSF on all tanks hammerheads and skyrays for a point you cant go wrong.
and drop those marker drones from the FW squads as its probably the most in efficient way of getting marker light hits as they have crappy bs in their own right. If necessary get a smaller squad of marker drones and give your commander a drone controller and have him give them all his BS.
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'