News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: counter assult army ideas  (Read 356 times)

Offline Kettch

• Flyin High
counter assult army ideas
« on: October 15, 2003, 04:01:16 AM »
about to start DE kebal army. Any Ideas ??? main opponents: tau (crisis suits)  ;)
s. marines (terminators) :-\
i'm thinkin 3-4 sniper squads
1 uber squad (anchor 1 flank)
3-4 raider squads (diss. , horrorfex pin anyone coming near my sniper squads during counter assult)
ravagers only for heavy support (definatly 1 w/D.lances)
Archon/Drachon in raider w/incubi for final killing blow
wyches in raiders (how many wyches in kebal army  :-\out of place, you know)

forgive any mistakes, may be a stupid idea, i don't know
(no expirence with dark eldar)
RULES OF THE AIR:

1. Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory.

2. Flying is not dangerous. Crashing is what is dangerous.

3. It is always better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here.

4. When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky.

5. A good landing is one from which you can walk away. A great landing is one after which they can use they can use the plane again.

Offline ~Fallen~Sun~

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Who needs actions when you've got words?
Re:counter assult army ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 04:39:06 AM »
Ok, well welcome to the Dark side! :) My first suggestion would be to read Kei-Ariq's post on Army List Advice which can be found as the first topic in this forum (or as a link in his signature). It has a lot of useful advice on starting an army. But before that I will offer some advice of my own.

1. Speed is the DE players greatest ally. So the more Raiders you have in your army, the better off you are. If you can, mount everyone in some kind of vehicle.

If your're going to take Sniper squads I would suggest that you take two for the fire support. Let the rest of your troops get into position quickly on their Raiders.

And those Raiders should have DL's for dealing with enemy armor.

2. Ravagers (although not exclusively) are best used as anti-infantry. So mount them with 3 Dissie's and watch the enemy troops die by the score.

Give them the Night Shield and screen them with your Raiders until they are in the position to deal the most damage.

3. An Archon or Dracon with Incubi in a Raider is a solid HQ choice. Just don't go overboard on the number of Incubi that you take. No more than 5 or 6. Otherwise the unit is over-piriced and will take away points that could be better used in other units. (and with only 5 or 6 the unit is still highly effective in CC)

You also might want to consider putting your HQ on a Reaver or on a Skyboard. It can really help make them CC monsters and allows you some diversity in your army and tactics.

4. You can't have any more than 3 squads of Wyches in a Kabal. If you're going to take them, give them Raiders. Running them across the board will get them nothing more than shot up before you need them.

I normally take only 1 or 2 squads of them in my Kabal. The have always done the job very effectively for me with those types of numbers.

5. One other unit you might want to consider. Reaver Jet Bikes. Three reasons. a. Mobility and speed. b. Great tank Hunters with Blasters mounted on the bikes. c.In a pintch they are great for addition assault support or can be used to assault on their own.

Those are just some basic suggestions. Once you have your core army you can tinker with it until it suites your play style.

:) :) :)
Oh My Great Googely-Oogely... will you just shut the hell up and die already?

Offline Kettch

• Flyin High
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 04:57:07 AM »
thanks,
i read the artical
lots of good ideas
what should i do with the spare room on the HQ raider
i hate jetbikes due to cost (collected eldar)
wyches sound great
 ;D
RULES OF THE AIR:

1. Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory.

2. Flying is not dangerous. Crashing is what is dangerous.

3. It is always better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here.

4. When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky.

5. A good landing is one from which you can walk away. A great landing is one after which they can use they can use the plane again.

Offline ~Fallen~Sun~

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Who needs actions when you've got words?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 12:47:36 PM »
You don't need to do anything with the extra room on your HQ Raider. It may seem like a waste to have the extra space on it but you will find that this unit more than pays for itself even if it seems under strength. (which its not ;) )

With the cost of Eldar Jetbikes I wouldn't care for them much either, but you have to remember that DE bikes are ten points cheaper at only 25 each. So it makes them a lot more effective for the cost, especially when you give them Blasters.

A four man squad with two blasters and a Succubus with an Agoniser is 181 points for the DE.

An Eldar squad with 4 bikes with two Shuriken Cannons and a Warlock with a Witchblade is 231 points.

One of the many examples of how the DE are better than the Eldar. :) :) And for that extra 50 points you could add two more Reavers to the DE squad.

So, at 25 points a piece, you get a unit that is Str 4 / To 4 with a 4 plus save, an invulnerable save, combat drugs and a 24 inch movement. Plus they can get assault versions of the Dark Lance dirt cheap.

Just something to think about. Anyway, have fun building your army.

:) :) :)
Oh My Great Googely-Oogely... will you just shut the hell up and die already?