News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Battle for Rikal IV  (Read 1057 times)

Offline krootman

• yea I didnt do laundry freshmen year, sue me
Battle for Rikal IV
« on: April 3, 2009, 08:40:03 AM »
Hey all, warseer user Kirasu finished the first of three campaign books detailing the struggle for control of Rikal IV which is an imperial planet near the Tau empire..

If you enjoy a good battle report with additional rules, datasheets and ideas for your own apoc game please read this campaign book as 2 more are to come with the last being better than the other 2 combined!

Looking for more than just a battle report? Click http://www.warriortree.com/warhammer/Battle%20for%20Rikal%20IV.pdf for the PDF

We played the battle with 4 players in about 5 hours.Blood Angels and Tau vs Orks and Chaos.... All in all it was a great game

Cover page

The return of a favorite special character Moriar the Chosen

Huge 12x6 battlefield with lots of amazing terrain!

I really hope you enjoy reading as much as we did playing.

(Kirsau did all the work, I was just one of the lucky players who got to play in this sweet battle, hes not a member of this fourm so I figured id repost it for him.)

« Last Edit: April 3, 2009, 08:42:31 AM by krootman »
If you are in the pittsburgh area looking for a game of blood bowl, fantasy, or 40k pm me

Necromantic blood bowl team
Space marines, chaos, tau, guard, orks in 40k
Wood Elfs in fantasy

Offline Scyrex Deledras

Re: Battle for Rikal IV
« Reply #1 on: April 3, 2009, 11:19:48 AM »
AWESOME! That is easily one of the best Apocalypse reports, if not battle reports period, that I have ever read. Well done!

Offline Arkion

« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2009, 10:54:58 PM »
Wow.  Best battle report I've ever read!

Incredible stuff guys!  I really don't know where to begin commenting...

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2009, 09:29:37 PM »
Wow!  That was a great battle report!  :o  Thanks for posting it.  ;D

A few points, however:

1)  Castris' stats seem a bit over-the-top and his points-cost too low.  Specifically, when compared to the Special Rules, stats, and wargear of the Special Characters in Codex: Space Marines, Castris' seems like a super bargain!  Also, his Plasma Blaster is exceptional in every way--better range, better strength than normal Tau Plasma weapons, Assault 3(!), and doesn't even suffer from the Gets Hot! rule.  :-\  Maybe just add that last penalty to help balance it a little bit.

2)  Exerci is also a bit low-costed for his stats, abilities, and wargear, in my opinion, though much better than Castris.

3)  Ditto with respect to Slycker Wolf.  I really like him and the two Tau Special Characters, but again, I must call attention to the fact that Slycker Wolf has stats and equipment equal to, or better than, any generic Space Marine Captain, plus all of his special rules are better than those enjoyed by the 70-point Sgt Chronos in Codex: Space Marines.  That should put him well above 150 (or even above 170) points in value.

4)  Regarding the Fuel Depot: does the penalty suffered at the end of the Shooting Phase apply to all vehicles benefiting from the special rule, or just Walkers?  The wording leaves this unclear.

5)  Strategic Assets: Rock 'Em boyz -- "...D3" 10" blasts..."
     I'm guessing that " symble after the D3 isn't supposed to be there?

6)  Oh, and that wasn't Kookeez's head Moriar was attacking in the picture.  ;) ;D

Can't wait for the next one.  Well done fellas!  :D

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline krootman

• yea I didnt do laundry freshmen year, sue me
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2009, 06:10:23 PM »
Wow!  That was a great battle report!  :o  Thanks for posting it.  ;D

A few points, however:

1)  Castris' stats seem a bit over-the-top and his points-cost too low.  Specifically, when compared to the Special Rules, stats, and wargear of the Special Characters in Codex: Space Marines, Castris' seems like a super bargain!  Also, his Plasma Blaster is exceptional in every way--better range, better strength than normal Tau Plasma weapons, Assault 3(!), and doesn't even suffer from the Gets Hot! rule.  :-\  Maybe just add that last penalty to help balance it a little bit.

2)  Exerci is also a bit low-costed for his stats, abilities, and wargear, in my opinion, though much better than Castris.

3)  Ditto with respect to Slycker Wolf.  I really like him and the two Tau Special Characters, but again, I must call attention to the fact that Slycker Wolf has stats and equipment equal to, or better than, any generic Space Marine Captain, plus all of his special rules are better than those enjoyed by the 70-point Sgt Chronos in Codex: Space Marines.  That should put him well above 150 (or even above 170) points in value.

4)  Regarding the Fuel Depot: does the penalty suffered at the end of the Shooting Phase apply to all vehicles benefiting from the special rule, or just Walkers?  The wording leaves this unclear.

5)  Strategic Assets: Rock 'Em boyz -- "...D3" 10" blasts..."
     I'm guessing that " symble after the D3 isn't supposed to be there?

6)  Oh, and that wasn't Kookeez's head Moriar was attacking in the picture.  ;) ;D

Can't wait for the next one.  Well done fellas!  :D

NewHeretic

Thanks for reading it! I can only really comment on slycker wolf as he was the character I designed. I figured his special rule where he can blow half your army up evens out his points cost. I mean he is 150 points his only difference with the sm character is he can get back into another tanks, and his ability to crew a super heavy hence he costs almost double the sm character.

As for his stats I really don't think they are too bad. He is after all over 10,000 years old. Also he has 1 wound less and a worse inv save then a sm captain. I wanted to make his stats average (not overpowering, but enough where he can at least defend himself).
If you are in the pittsburgh area looking for a game of blood bowl, fantasy, or 40k pm me

Necromantic blood bowl team
Space marines, chaos, tau, guard, orks in 40k
Wood Elfs in fantasy

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2009, 09:31:25 PM »
If anything I'd say Wolf was overcosted. Yes, he has BS5 and can ride a Baneblade/whatever, but so long as he is in that tank (my experience of superheavies is that they build them to last), he loses every stat bar his BS and all his equipment. That's expensive.

Offline orkdom

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »
Hey! I was gonna post this! :P

(I'm the ork player from the game)

I have to agree from experience with the last comment on Wolf. Stats aside, his special rule did some damage! His cost is certainly fine where it is.

This sort of game is not necessarily the best for figuring out the over/under of the points for a single model simply because it is on such a large scale. For the Tau characters, it's pretty much impossible to say from the game because Excersi was killed by dakkaguns and Castris never really got a big moment in the limelight, just sort of wandered around shooting stuff. There's just a little too much going on to figure it out and with such a large scale game a single model being off even 100pts just doesn't make or break the game.

Bryan (the Tau player) and I have done campaigns between the two of us before with out special characters, involving many games of no larger than 2000pts. I have never personally encountered a serious problem with any of the characters we've used (of his design), but I also don't really pay too close attention to Tau rules (I'm so used to the older editions where all I really knew was "Oh it's shooting at me? Oh I lost how many orks? Oh...oh, so that mobs dead now, oh...hm, that one too? No cover? Oh." :P ), so I don't know....
I currently split my time about equally between studying in Russia, and living at college, with brief visits here and there back home. Needless to say I don't get to build much, and get to play just a little bit more. It's been this way for almost 3 years now.

15,000pt Apok campaign games: 2 (about every 2 1/2 months)
Thunderhawks destroyed: 2

My army is actually led by a schizophrenic talking squig named Deffgogzz.