News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63473 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #260 on: April 26, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »
Looking awesome as always Ynnead. Truly inspired stuff my man... top notch John Blanche goodness. I love it! Now PAINT THEM!!! lol Just kidding but I can't wait to see them painted!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #261 on: April 26, 2017, 01:48:17 PM »
Sooooo; not just swapping torso's and legs then. Wow! That's a labour of love for sure. They look amazing, Ynneadwraith. Even more so now that we know what was put into them. Congrats on your addmi-admi-ad... promotion, mate. Well deserved!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #262 on: April 26, 2017, 05:05:37 PM »
GW needs to give you a job ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #263 on: April 27, 2017, 08:08:23 AM »
@Cav haha will do ;) if only because i've run out of 25mm bases ;)

Currently on the painting block is the Talos bio-exo-suit thing :) can't wait to get it finished :)

@Dann yeah not quite ;) it's really not as much work as it sounds though :) plastic's a really forgiving material to work with, and so far the only model out of the 100+ i've made that i've messed up beyond repair is Yvraine (and she got cannibalised for my Corsair Prince).

I thoroughly encourage anyone to get stuck in with this sort of thing :)

@Magenb I'd gladly take that if anyone's listening ;) if only to point out how ludicrous it is to have the Eldar and the Black Templars working together. First thing i'd do is have that go down the tubes ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #264 on: April 27, 2017, 02:56:25 PM »
Wow dude these models are just getting more and more unreal -- the Sylvaneth stuff just makes it so awesome and dynamic in particular.

Holy crap that Ynnari Autarch is the creepiest model ever.

Really digging the Visarch conversion, but that super simple Ynnari Autarch model really captures the less is more and the creepiness that i think you are going for.

Man, great work, keep it up!
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #265 on: May 12, 2017, 07:46:52 PM »
No idea how I managed to miss your post but thanks a ton man :) I'm really glad you like Idravain. He's definitely one of my all-time favourites as well :) one of the things I really want to do with a number of my dudes is to make them look seriously creepy, but through the fluff writing you sort of end up feeling sympathetic for these creepy SOBs. This guy and Khali the Succubus I feel like I've hit the nail on the head with for that ;)

It's been a while since an update, but I have been busy! Busy with paints to boot ;) finished my 5 multi-limbed Bloodbrides :)

What's more Dark Eldar than a thigh-high boot made of someone else' skin? ;)

Not only that, but I've painted my bio-suit Talos too :) I must admit, I'm damn proud of this one...

And the whole gang together :)

Now, I had promised myself no more modelling until I'd got some stuff painted, but what really happened was I made a load of things but didn't post them until I'd finished painting, which worked in some way I suppose ;)

In my defence, the idea I had was 'famine slender-man-style Nurgle-corrupted Eldar' which was just too cool to wait for :)

My thinking was that pretty much all of the Nurgle bloated plague stuff I've seen has been human. What if Chaos corruption has different effects on different life-forms? Here's what I came up with:

Malariel, Herald of Nurgle

Plague can have many effects. In Eldar, their limbs elongate as their frame becomes more and more emaciated. However, their slight frames belie an unnatural toughness.

The fluff behind Malariel is that he was a Corsair, who in desperation upon his death sold his soul to Nurgle. Normally, such triflings are Slaanesh's concern. More trouble than they're worth. However, the Plaguefather covets the worlds of Selesti, and Malariel is a tool with which to sunder the veil in the sector and reclaim his lordship over these worlds. Plus, given the rivalry between the Chaos Gods it's a bit of a taunt on Nurgle's part.

Malariel himself is convinced that the salvation of the Eldar is through the benevolence of the Blightlord. He himself was saved from eternal torment at the hands of Slaanesh, and has set out to bring this revelation to his fellow Eldar. Never mind the pretender Ynnead. Nurgle is the true God of Rebirth.

Here's the first of his converts :)

I also quite liked the idea of having his congregation be multi-species. There's something very 40k about the only creature calling for racial tolerance being the quasi-daemonic herald of the God of Pestilence ;) so, I had a go at a Blightking-based Astartes :)

And finally the beginnings of Malariel's congregation ;)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #266 on: May 13, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
Wow they came out great Ynnead. The painted Bloodbrides look fantastic and the Talos looks phenomenal! The paint jobs really take them to the next level. Great work bud, congrats on finishing a couple of new units.

The new models look really nice too. All suitably creepy, and expertly kitbashed and converted. Smooth as always my friend. Keep up the great work, glad to see a new update!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #267 on: May 14, 2017, 07:04:16 AM »
Both the painted and the freshly modelled pieces are amazing, Ynneadwraith. Is there an opportunity of seeing these boys in action. Either a battle report or just the odd photo of one. They must look incredible on the table.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2017, 07:25:48 PM »
Thanks guys!

I'm dead chuffed with the Talos actually :) really pleased how it's turned out, especially how the little hook looks against the bigger hook in the background. Even if I do say so myself ;)

I would really like to get them on the table, but I don't think I've had a game since I was about 14! None of my mates are really into 40k at all and I always felt a little odd waltzing up to a game store on my own. Guess that's all in my head really. Should definitely make an effort to get them on the table ;)

Edit: oh, I have an update too! Painted Morrathillienn :)

Not sure why the pics are a little whited out. I think the camera focused on the blacks. Must get a better one...

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:30:13 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #269 on: May 15, 2017, 03:40:05 AM »
She looks magic, Ynneadwraith. Well done! The photos seem fine to me, mate. If you think there's a problem, are you using day globes?

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #270 on: May 15, 2017, 07:22:27 AM »
Thanks dude :) i think the photos only look washed out when you put them next to the ones for the Bloodbrides. On their own they seem ok :)

I haven't looked at dayglobes but i'll check them out :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #271 on: May 15, 2017, 07:45:52 AM »
Looking really sharp Ynnead. Damn man, you've got the whole deal- modeling and painting. Super nice stuff bud, your army is gonna look great when organized for games. Right out of an old school White Dwarf but with all the newest models. Killer!

As for getting back into games. I suggest going up to a local club or store and asking how people organize their games. Usually they'll send you over to a Facebook Group where you can post looking for a game.

I was intimidated too, but everybody is dying for new opponents, especially with crazy awesome armies! So don't be intimidated. Just head over to a store, ask how people setup games and go from there. Go for it! It'll totally re-energize you for modelling and painting when you are hungry to get new units into your force to get them into fighting shape. Go forth young man!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #272 on: May 15, 2017, 08:03:19 AM »
Those painted Bloodbrides look awesome Ynnead; your painting really is improving by leaps and bounds! The Talos is just so...discomforting. It really is unnatural...and therefore brilliant!

But it's nowhere near as unsettling as that Nurgle Eldar. He's my particular stuff of Nightmares. The fact he's up on his toes, almost creeping and shuffling along...but he's dragging his pitted and corroded sword behind...you'd hear the tapping of his staff and the scrap of metal on the ground as he came for you in the night. Just totally beslubbered up! Well done!

Also, I love that Plague Marine. He just looks right.

Excellent work all round Ynnead, keep it rolling!!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #273 on: May 15, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
Thanks guys!

@Cav that's a really good idea :) i'll have a look around for clubs near me. I'd love to get into some of the smaller scale stuff like kill team or inq28 as i've definitely got the models for that. Despite having tons of stuff i don't think i've got a functioning army yet!

@Loosh that's a perfect image of the nurgle herald! Really evocative, and you're right. The stuff of nightmares ;)

I also imagined him having a really hoarse voice. You know where each breath has a bit of a wheezing whistle, and his speech is a little high pitched.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #274 on: May 17, 2017, 11:05:36 AM »
Help guys, i could do with some opinions :) i've finished painting my first Croneworlder, but i'm conflicted about basing. Here he is:

Now i know what would look best for the colours of this model in particular is your usual dark grey stone/datkened metallic ibdustrial sort of thing most 40k models get.

However, one of the main things i've been doing is basing all of my models on the same deserty sandy bases so they all look at home when i come to build scenery. Plus, the narrative they're all in centres around the worlds of Selesti which are all former Eldar Maiden Worlds, ravaged by Nurgle post-Fall so they're all desertified. It's an oddity of the sector that all habitable planets are desert worlds.

What i've done with my Blightdar (sneak peak of thise behind!) is paint them roughly in the same tan colours, but also make it so that where they tread is a little pool of greenish water which helps tie everything together.

I suppose with these guys i could have their presence stain the ground where they tread purple, and the contrast with the tan sand would help the unnatural look, but do you think it would look ok?

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2017, 02:25:38 PM »
Doing footprints could be really hard. I remember how tough it was to make my molten rock footprints for my Avatar, and having to do that with just paint could be difficult.

I think doing blighted footsteps would be easier with some kind of basing material... like toadstools, fungus something like that....

Just my opinion though

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #276 on: May 18, 2017, 06:58:31 PM »
The Blightdar's footprints were actually fairly easy :) the sand definitely helped, and then I just did a couple of layers of gloss coloured with various shades of green so it looks like water's oozing up from the ground around their feet :)

I'm thinking with the Croneworlders something a little different, but similar technique. Perhaps purple wash radiating out in little spikes from their feet, highlighted a little with something like Screamer Pink :)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #277 on: May 18, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »
G'day Ynneadwraith!
There are these reeeally tiny beads at the arts and crafts store. They make a great bubble affect for your footprints.
I still really like this particular model. You should be proud, mate.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #278 on: May 19, 2017, 07:42:35 PM »
Thanks dude, I'll check them out :) probably for another project (soulstone cache maybe?) as I found little slivers of flying stand were perfect for what I had in mind ;)

Few among the Craftworlds truly believe that there are Eldar still living in the Eye. Only in the babbling of the deranged and the rhetoric of doomsayers are the twisted playthings of She Who Thirsts mentioned with any kind of certainty.

Yet, here they stand, staining our world beneath their cursed feet.

"Curious, is it not, that where they tread crystals sprout from the ground. Crystals of the same design as those that form our soulstones. Are these eldar trapped beneath The Great Enemy's gaze subtly rebelling against their master, providing us with the means to escape Her grasp. Or, more worryingly, is this all part of Her plan? Are the soulstones we covet so highly not in fact our salvation, but a trap?" - Illythian the Doomsayer, Outcast of Ulthwe

I've also finished modelling my next two Croneworlders :)

I've fallen in love a little with how the whole colour scheme looks contrasting the pallid purpley skin with the deep purple Eldar undersuit and the grey of the armour plates in typical Eldar-style block colour. It looks Slaaneshi, but unmistakably Eldar :) for these two, I've tried to keep a similar hint of Craftworld Eldar in the modelling to keep that connection, and it's actually got me rethinking Ylris (much though I love her design). I can't help but feel that she needs some Craftworld parts to make her unmistakeably Eldar too. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:49:42 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #279 on: May 19, 2017, 09:57:35 PM »
They look fantastic, Ynneadwraith.
Is that your writing, or is it a snippet from a novel? You HAVE to start gaming with these pointy ears, mate. I truly believe some decisions, in games, are made due to visual intimidation. Well painted models give the impression of a superior player. With your modelling/painting skills present on the table, Ynneadwraith, your opponents would be intimidated from the first turn to last.